Author Topic: Finishing Touches for a Layout  (Read 12450 times)

Offline iindigo

Finishing Touches for a Layout
« on: Fri, 21 October 2011, 23:40:43 »
Hey all,

Here's the layout that I will be purchasing a WASD custom keyboard with, designed with Adobe Illustrator. It's a very close replica of Apple's USB and Macbook keyboards, using the font VAG Rounded (which is incidentally also used by Volkswagon). The letters have all been converted to vector shapes, so they won't need the font over at WASD in order to print the keyboard.

I plan to get black keys with etching as opposed to engraving.

Does anybody have any creative or clever suggestions for the board? Criticism is welcome too.

On a sidenote, I considered mirroring the old Apple Extended Keyboards with the font Univers 57 Oblique instead, but I couldn't get it to look right. Also, if anybody is interested in the illustrator file for this layout, I will be making it available soon (complete with a standard Windows layout variation).

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 29448[/ATTACH]

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 October 2011, 23:42:51 »
Quote from: iindigo;436520
I plan to get black keys with etching as opposed to engraving. (Attachment Link) 29448[/ATTACH]

Awe, that's too bad that you aren't using lasered; that would make it look nearly exactly like the old Apple keyboards.
I like my Browns more than my Blues.

Offline iindigo

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 October 2011, 23:45:04 »
Really? Which Apple keyboards had legends carved out by a laser?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 October 2011, 23:48:36 »
Looks good.  Please post pics when you get the actual keyboard!

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 October 2011, 23:52:35 »
Quote from: iindigo;436522
Really? Which Apple keyboards had legends carved out by a laser?

Lasering gives the color style of an old Apple keyboard. My return question would be which Apple Keyboards had engraved, with no ink, lettering on their keys?

Offline iindigo

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 00:01:23 »
Quote from: RColinTaylor;436525
Lasering gives the color style of an old Apple keyboard. My return question would be which Apple Keyboards had engraved, with no ink, lettering on their keys?

Ahh you see, you have your terminology backwards (at least going by WASD's site). Etching produces a brownish-white legend on black keys (what you call lasering) while engraving just makes a depression in the key with no coloration changes.

I'm getting the former, not the latter.

Offline RColinTaylor

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 00:06:58 »
Quote from: iindigo;436532
Ahh you see, you have your terminology backwards (at least going by WASD's site). Etching produces a brownish-white legend on black keys (what you call lasering) while engraving just makes a depression in the key with no coloration changes.

I'm getting the former, not the latter.

I believe we both have our terminology wrong. I read engraving in your first post. You read my lasering wrong. The reality is that the keys you are going for will be Laser Etched. A situation of misconception that I apologize for.

Offline iindigo

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 22 October 2011, 00:30:03 »
Hmm, true. The words are too similar sounding if you ask me.

Offline iindigo

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 November 2011, 14:39:10 »

Offline drezha

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 March 2012, 15:08:49 »
I don't suppose you have an ISO layout version?

I sent WASD an email as they now have the 105 key available in the custom keyboard editor but no template yet (so I guess you haven't either!)

Offline Grr8

• Quack!
Re: Finishing Touches for a Layout
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 14:19:56 »
Hi, thanks for this post.

Saw a picture of your layout and think it was excellent.

Do you still have a copy of the AI to re-upload since old attachments were lost?

Hey all,

Here's the layout that I will be purchasing a WASD custom keyboard with, designed with Adobe Illustrator. It's a very close replica of Apple's USB and Macbook keyboards, using the font VAG Rounded (which is incidentally also used by Volkswagon). The letters have all been converted to vector shapes, so they won't need the font over at WASD in order to print the keyboard.

(Attachment Link) 29448[/ATTACH]
Daily Driver: Poker II Backlit (Ducky Mini-fied) + Amazon o-rings. Future daily driver IBM AT Model F (restoring now). For fun: IBM SSK 1397681 (NIB), IBM SSK 1391472, IBM Industrial 101 Square label 1388032, IBM Industrial 101 Black label 1394946, IBM 1391401 (bolt-modding now), IBM 1370477, IBM 42H1292 (USA), IBM 52G9700 IBM, and more....
More
Ducky Shine w/Blues + WASD o-rings, Ducky Shine 3 TKL w/Browns + ebay o-rings, Rosewill RK-9100 w/Blues, Apple Wireless (slim), Apple Wireless White A1016, Apple Extended II ADB. Next? HHKB2Pro?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 19:03:06 »
You can buy it here:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v1-illustrator-cs5-mechanical-keyboard.html

WASD has the file (and some others) on his website in a number of formats (PDF, AI, corel), here:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/resources/keyboard-layouts

Offline Grr8

• Quack!
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 09:30:11 »
You can buy it here:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v1-illustrator-cs5-mechanical-keyboard.html

Thanks for trying to help - I was actually after the AI file for the Mac keyboard layout, not a keyboard for AI.

I did find an AI file based on iindigo's design here, with some googling:

http://www.clingmarks.com/custom-mac-mechanical-keyboard-lets-have-some-fun/893

(this is the design that cosm2000 has pictured here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=24121.0 )
Daily Driver: Poker II Backlit (Ducky Mini-fied) + Amazon o-rings. Future daily driver IBM AT Model F (restoring now). For fun: IBM SSK 1397681 (NIB), IBM SSK 1391472, IBM Industrial 101 Square label 1388032, IBM Industrial 101 Black label 1394946, IBM 1391401 (bolt-modding now), IBM 1370477, IBM 42H1292 (USA), IBM 52G9700 IBM, and more....
More
Ducky Shine w/Blues + WASD o-rings, Ducky Shine 3 TKL w/Browns + ebay o-rings, Rosewill RK-9100 w/Blues, Apple Wireless (slim), Apple Wireless White A1016, Apple Extended II ADB. Next? HHKB2Pro?

Offline iindigo

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 25 November 2012, 10:32:26 »
Sorry guys, I didn't realize that attachments had been eaten!

I've re-attached the file. In case something happens to attachments again, I've also mirrored the layout at two locations, listed below. Enjoy!

EDIT: Oops, uploaded something entirely different... sorry! Links fixed.

http://d.pr/f/Ozrg
http://cl.ly/2E0d0U1L2j1i
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 November 2012, 15:12:18 by iindigo »

Offline tooki

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 09:27:13 »
[...] using the font VAG Rounded (which is incidentally also used by Volkswagon). [...]
As an aside: "VAG" in VAG Rounded stands for "Volkswagen AG" ("Volkswagen Corporation" in German), as it was Volkswagen that commissioned the font, though they stopped using it about 20 years ago. So it's not exactly a coincidence.  :D

Offline ocodo

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 11:51:31 »
I recently had a AEK style layout made for a WASD (lovely keyboard btw)

The final product... (you may prefer a more conservative color scheme.)

Laser etching on the white keys has better crispness than the colored keys.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 12:28:49 »
Impressive thread necromancy. Anyhow, looks great. Welcome to Geekhack!