Author Topic: Just curious. How Maltron as a company survives.  (Read 8623 times)

Offline vatin

Just curious. How Maltron as a company survives.
« on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 05:53:51 »
Just curious. Since there are extremely few and far between conversations/reviews about Maltron online combined with their astronomical price tag. I wonder how they could generate enough sales for their business.
I'd like to try one, but got Kinesis Advantage instead for the 1/3 price of Maltron's 3d duel hand. Even photos or people refering to their product online is so sparse.
OLKB Planck V6

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Re: Just curious. How Maltron as a company survives.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 07:35:08 »
As a Maltron owner, I have wondered the same thing.  It was very difficult for me to find information about my keyboard before I purchased it and after I purchased it.  I think a lot of health insurance companies companies buy the keyboards for people with diagnosed RSI and those with legitimate disabilities.

Also, for most of their products like the one-handed ergonomic keyboard and the head and stick keyboard, they are the only game in town. They have no competition.

And compared to other ergonomic keyboards (I have tried most of the market), I have found the Maltron to be the most comfortable to use, especially with the trackball mouse included.  The position of the thumb keys, the numpad with navigation the middle, the large vertical shift keys, all combine to make a very comfortable machine.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 April 2014, 11:19:12 by prdlm2009 »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Architect

• TECK Lover
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 08:20:15 »
I've wondered about that too. I assume partially because they're cheaper in the UK without the exchange rate, and importing Kinesis is probably more expensive, so I assume they mostly survive from UK local sales.
TECK 209 Blank Keys; Leopold Number Pad; X-Keys Professional; X-Keys 84.

Offline squarefrog

• \m/_
    • Ergodox Layout Stats
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 14:29:07 »
I think they are quite big in the medical community here in the UK. Also I think it helps that they'll let you hire one for a couple of months. If you decide to buy after that they just take off the hire fee from the price, so it's very little risk.

I had no idea that I lived 2 minutes away from their head office when I was at Uni  :eek:

Offline blackbox

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 15:44:57 »
I think that the government and some companies are forced to buy what the user wants when it comes to ergonomically equipment. I have a maltron but I do not use it.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline squarefrog

• \m/_
    • Ergodox Layout Stats
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 15:47:06 »
I think that the government and some companies are forced to buy what the user wants when it comes to ergonomically equipment. I have a maltron but I do not use it.

Man I wish that was the case. I bought my own keyboard and trackball because I was sick of trying to get the company to buy them. And they are a sister company of a large well known electronics retailer, so could get them at cost.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 16:32:01 »
I always assumed it was their stunning good looks, I mean just take a gander at this sleek and sexy peice of equipment here. At first I thought "Well, this must be a priceless work of art created by some ethereally talented craftsman." but nope, it's a Maltron. Just behold those lines and curves, and how it doesn't look like something designed for a 1979 Russian cosmonaut ship that some kid glued keys to then left in the sun until it started to warp. No, this is pure aesthetic beauty.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 16:32:15 »

Man I wish that was the case. I bought my own keyboard and trackball because I was sick of trying to get the company to buy them. And they are a sister company of a large well known electronics retailer, so could get them at cost.

I see. I guess maltron was also way more that you wanted to spend yourself and didn't see the benefit over other ergonomical keyboards.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline blackbox

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 16:35:32 »
I always assumed it was their stunning good looks, I mean just take a gander at this sleek and sexy peice of equipment here. At first I thought "Well, this must be a priceless work of art created by some ethereally talented craftsman." but nope, it's a Maltron. Just behold those lines and curves, and how it doesn't look like something designed for a 1979 Russian cosmonaut ship that some kid glued keys to then left in the sun until it started to warp. No, this is pure aesthetic beauty.
(Attachment Link)

You forgot all the red dot design awards that it has.

The LAN table!

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 17:09:27 »
(Attachment Link)

When you have no competition, why update the design?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 17:34:58 »
...or if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Offline squarefrog

• \m/_
    • Ergodox Layout Stats
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 07:55:40 »
I see. I guess maltron was also way more that you wanted to spend yourself and didn't see the benefit over other ergonomical keyboards.

To be honest I don't really get on with the curved keys so there's no way I'll chuck Ł450 at something like that.

Nice to see they offer it in black now. Looks a bit less like an NHS support tool :)

Offline Proword

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 23:00:26 »
Niche marketing.  Perhaps they survive because they don't try and push their product in the "general" computer market.  They have always held themselves out as ergonomic/beneficial, hence they only work in the medical/ergonomics field, and the associated trade journals, hence the general public won't see much of them.  (I found my Maltron through an occupational health and safety publication back in '86.)  The only people who will find out about them are those that are likely to need them.

However, when they do appear on sites like this one, they seem to be responsive to users' requirements, eg, their "bespoke" keyboards.   As for cost, (a) they use extremely high quality components (my first '86 keyboard is still going, except it's not cost effective to have it converted from DIN plug to USB (after converting from Apple II)) and (b) each keyboard is hand made in the factory, and inside somewhere you will find the signature of the assembler.  I know for a fact that they keep records of where every keyboard has gone.  To me the cost is immaterial.  They are worth every cent.

As for appearance, if you read the academic papers on the Maltron website, you will see that the form of the product follows the function, with little or no concession to fashion.  Even the surface texture (whether black or grey) is designed with ergonomic comfort in mind, as the crinkles reduce (however minutely) reflected glare.

Maltron 3D Dual Hand (x4)
Maltron 3D Single Hand (x2 - L & R)

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.

Offline Proword

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 23:04:51 »
(Attachment Link)

Exactly

http://www.maltron.com/general-info/awards/maltron-awards

Maltron Awards
Awards

Millennium Product

Maltron Keyboards have been selected as a Millennium Product by the Design Council. Andrew Summers, Chief Executive, says, "I am delighted that the Maltron ergonomically designed keyboard has been announced as a Millennium Product and is going to be part of our collection of the most innovative products in Britain for the new Millennium"

North West Today

Health & Safety Product of the Year

Journal Publishing Company

AWARD OF EXCELLENCE FOR INNOVATION AND DESIGN

"A keyboard from PCD Maltron has earned the company selection for the JPC Award for Excellence for Innovation and Design for its ability to provide relief against the symptoms of repetitive Strain Injury (RSI), so enabling sufferers of the injury to resume their careers"

Yes Magazine

Special Achievement Award for recognising and being positive towards the needs of disabled people

AWARD OF MERIT FOR HEALTH & SAFETY

South East Invention of the Year Competition

Finalist certificate presented by Professor Heinz Wolff

MacUser Award
MacUser Award
5 Mouse Rating
MacUser Magazine

Certificate awarded for Product Excellence on the basis of comprehensive tests conducted by MacUser. 5 Mouse Rating (see reports of experience). "The Maltron Keyboard is perfect for those suffering from or trying to elude RSI"

Royal Society For The Prevention Of Accidents

COMMENDATION FOR THE MALTRON KEYBOARD'S "particularly outstanding innovative design and excellence in the field of health"

South Of England Invention Of The Year Competition

Bronze Medal Awarded

Institution Of Electrical Engineers Prize For Helping Disabled People

"in recognition of the contribution made to helping disabled people and for the high standard of entry

Many people think their lifestyle comes at a cost - but they are quite cool with that as long as somebody ELSE pays it.

Offline blackbox

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 00:48:06 »
(Attachment Link)

Exactly

http://www.maltron.com/general-info/awards/maltron-awards

Maltron Awards
Awards

Millennium Product

Maltron Keyboards have been selected as a Millennium Product by the Design Council. Andrew Summers, Chief Executive, says, "I am delighted that the Maltron ergonomically designed keyboard has been announced as a Millennium Product and is going to be part of our collection of the most innovative products in Britain for the new Millennium"

North West Today

Health & Safety Product of the Year

AWARD OF EXCELLENCE FOR INNOVATION AND DESIGN

"A keyboard from PCD Maltron has earned the company selection for the JPC Award for Excellence for Innovation and Design for its ability to provide relief against the symptoms of repetitive Strain Injury (RSI), so enabling sufferers of the injury to resume their careers"

Yes Magazine

Special Achievement Award for recognising and being positive towards the needs of disabled people

AWARD OF MERIT FOR HEALTH & SAFETY

South East Invention of the Year Competition

Finalist certificate presented by Professor Heinz Wolff

MacUser Award
MacUser Award
5 Mouse Rating
MacUser Magazine

Certificate awarded for Product Excellence on the basis of comprehensive tests conducted by MacUser. 5 Mouse Rating (see reports of experience). "The Maltron Keyboard is perfect for those suffering from or trying to elude RSI"

Royal Society For The Prevention Of Accidents

COMMENDATION FOR THE MALTRON KEYBOARD'S "particularly outstanding innovative design and excellence in the field of health"

South Of England Invention Of The Year Competition

Bronze Medal Awarded

Institution Of Electrical Engineers Prize For Helping Disabled People

"in recognition of the contribution made to helping disabled people and for the high standard of entry

oh didnt check that before I wrote that. However It is still not an red dot design award and it seems like the awards stopped 2001. But point taken. I have a maltron myself and I see the point about handmade products. Found the singnature of the maker inside my dual hand.

The LAN table!

Offline hoggy

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 01:18:17 »
Their customer service is excellent, I'm sure that helps too.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline blackbox

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 01:44:25 »
Their customer service is excellent, I'm sure that helps too.

IMO that helps alot. I get very frustated when I buy an great product thats turns out to have crappy customer support.

The LAN table!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 04:17:07 »
As for appearance, if you read the academic papers on the Maltron website, you will see that the form of the product follows the function, with little or no concession to fashion.  Even the surface texture (whether black or grey) is designed with ergonomic comfort in mind, as the crinkles reduce (however minutely) reflected glare.
Except for the rare bling edition:

Offline blackbox

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 04:30:40 »
Except for the rare bling edition:
Show Image

That must be the only maltron where I kinda liked the design.

The LAN table!

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 06:22:48 »
The amazing thing about Maltron is they have basically maintained the same keyboard design for decades and it is still better than any other ergonomic design that I have tried.  Sometimes I think of selling my board for a quick buck because the feel of the switches in less solid than other boards due to the lack of heft in in the keyboard, but when I start using it again after a lull, I fall in love all over again.

Offline Tony

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 07:54:05 »
In a way, Maltron are several steps ahead of other competitors. They have most optimized layout with letter E in the thumb. They are like Lamborghinis or Roll Royces of keyboards: elegant, classy, a style of their own, and luxurious.

BTW their ROI are high, so they can live with significant smaller of sold keyboards.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline hoggy

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 07:34:09 »
I'm not sure their return is all that high, their keyboards are soldered by hand in the UK.  Having taken one apart, the whole thing has a hands on look and feel.  But sure, their pricing reflects that they won't sell many.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 15:08:57 »
I'm not sure their return is all that high, their keyboards are soldered by hand in the UK.  Having taken one apart, the whole thing has a hands on look and feel.  But sure, their pricing reflects that they won't sell many.

Throwback from another time.  Love it.

Offline Proword

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 19:37:37 »
The expression "old fashioned British craftsmanship" comes to mind.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 16:39:03 »
Won an auction on eBay for an expanded keyboard last week.

It's a beast, 5.4 kilos and it's bigger than my IBM 122m.
I'll post some pics when I've got it cleaned.

Offline tufty

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 13:31:52 »
The expression "old fashioned British craftsmanship" comes to mind.

That's the phrase that came to mind every time my Trident spilled its engine oil down the road*.  Every time I kicked, for the hundredth time, on the damned starter.  Every time I was heaving like a demon on the levers trying to coax its feeble brakes into stopping the damnable thing.  Every time  the Lucas** electrics shat themselves at the slightest sign of rain (hardly an uncommon occurrence in the UK). 

British craftsmanship?  You can keep it.

* This was far from being a rare situation, british bike engines being machined from billet emmental, with exacting tolerances of half an inch or less, and the gaskets were made from toilet paper.  Added to this was the utter stupidity of splitting the crankcase vertically, thus ensuring not only that the engine /would/ leak, but also that, when it did so, it would drop oil directly in front of the rear wheel.  On a good day, I /only/ used a pint of oil every 500 miles or so on the Trident; this did, at least, mean that I didn't have to change the oil - it ran "total loss".
** Why is English beer served warm?  Lucas refrigerators.
« Last Edit: Fri, 25 April 2014, 13:33:48 by tufty »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 13:57:28 »
Yup, this is what I thought at first...

Offline Proword

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 22:25:16 »
It never occurred to me that there would be any link between British motorcycles and Maltron keyboards.  A fascinating whole new area for exploration and experimentation.  I can see it now.  Given that so many people say that their keyboard pressure is too firm/soft/loud/ or whatever why not give every single key switch an adjustable tappet rocker, so that the user can tune their keyboard to their exact requirements.

I've had 11 motorcycles since 1968, including two British, one Italian, six Japanese and two Germans (my current ride) and I've found (in hindsight) that like computers, many of the problems are caused by the operator not following instructions correctly.  I've had my current German for 7 years, with no signs of mechanical or electrical trouble, yet on the bulletin board for this bike I see people complaining about the poor quality, but it's amazing how many of these people have tried to "improve" their bike by modifying it in a way not recommended by the maker.  But then, these riders know better than the designers, don't they?

Offline tufty

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 02:04:38 »
There isn't a link between Maltron keyboards and British bikes.  It was more a comment that the phrase "old fashioned British craftsmanship" can be taken as a very negative comment.

FWIW, my trident wasn't modified in any way.  Hell, I didn't even do the 4-5 speed box change.  It was a beautiful bike, but mechanically and electrically it was awful - it leaked oil from day one, and it had Lucas electrics. It compared very badly to the Honda's original CB750 which was released at more or less the same time.  The only bike I've ever had that was arguably worse was my "rubber framed" H2 - fun, but terrifying and unpredictable. I've never owned a "german", unless you count the "urinal".

None of which is related to keyboards.

Offline hoggy

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 04:26:20 »

I picked up this - thing on ebay recently.  It's designed to take a beating and probably drooled on a little - something their other keyboards don't have to deal with.
The case is bent metal sheeting, and the switches (not mx sadly) are plate mounted and then hand wired.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 19:49:21 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I picked up this - thing on ebay recently.  It's designed to take a beating and probably drooled on a little - something their other keyboards don't have to deal with.
The case is bent metal sheeting, and the switches (not mx sadly) are plate mounted and then hand wired.

What a beauty.