Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3542940 times)

Offline tbc

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #7650 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 12:00:19 »
sorry, i wasn't being very clear.

normally caps are so easy to get off, having a plate doesn't really do anything.

since pcb mounted clear with dsa on is hard to get off, do you think plate mounted clear with dsa would be easier?

this is important because i already broke a clear top and damaged a regular top and i don't have an infinite supply of tops.
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7651 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 12:09:20 »
sorry, i wasn't being very clear.

normally caps are so easy to get off, having a plate doesn't really do anything.

since pcb mounted clear with dsa on is hard to get off, do you think plate mounted clear with dsa would be easier?

this is important because i already broke a clear top and damaged a regular top and i don't have an infinite supply of tops.

The top part of the switch housing is not really connected to the plate so I guess that it wouldn't be easier.

Offline intelli78

Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7653 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 14:42:29 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281305381161?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Is this lasered PBT or POM?

If it's beige, it's PBT. If it's black it's POM. So It should be PBT.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7654 on: Sun, 04 May 2014, 14:44:16 »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281305381161?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Is this lasered PBT or POM?

If it's beige, it's PBT. If it's black it's POM. So It should be PBT.

Well, that makes it simple. Thank you!

Offline combataran

« Reply #7655 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 09:07:49 »
What else can I do besides lining the case bottom with foam filler, to dampen sounds coming from the keyboard?
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7656 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 09:14:09 »
What else can I do besides lining the case bottom with foam filler, to dampen sounds coming from the keyboard?

O-rings or landing pads work quite well. You can also try to not bottom out which will decrease sound a lot.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7657 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 09:16:42 »

You can also put some sort of pad underneath the keyboard between it and the desk.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #7658 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 09:18:46 »

For my Ducky Shine 2 Mod, I used some 0.8mm rubber tape on the underside of the plate and the inside of the bottom housing for sound dampening:

Offline combataran

« Reply #7659 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 09:21:34 »

For my Ducky Shine 2 Mod, I used some 0.8mm rubber tape on the underside of the plate and the inside of the bottom housing for sound dampening:

How's the sound? Close to this?
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7660 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 09:24:58 »

How's the sound? Close to this?

It's not going to sound the same since that LZ-CE has a different case. As mentioned previously, a lot of factors go into making the LZ-CE sound the way it does and just foam liner and o-rings isn't going to make it sound like that. Case material, mounting style, desk material, what you place the keyboard on, typing style, and spring weight all play a factor.

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #7661 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 13:01:51 »
Hey guys, on my kmac, the WASD keys have LEDs - I have some cherry profile bsp keycaps on the board and it feels like the LEDs are a little high and the keys touch them as they are pressed. It doesn't bother me whilst typing at all, so as long as it isn't harming the board in any way but it's annoying just knowing it does it. I tried some doubleshots on there and since they don't have those stability X's in the molds, it doesn't do it. Is there anything I can do about this aside from desolder the LED or not use pbt keycaps? I guess I'll have to live with it.

I actually noticed putting cherry profile pbt's on my Pure, the one with the alu case - the LEDs on the asdf row touch the keys slightly too.

Also not sure if I'm allowed to ask here, but know of anywhere I can get gold 62g springs in the west atm?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7662 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 13:18:55 »
1) On my kmac, the WASD keys have LEDs - I have some cherry profile bsp keycaps on the board and it feels like the LEDs are a little high and the keys touch them as they are pressed. I tried some doubleshots on there and since they don't have those stability X's in the molds, it doesn't do it. Is there anything I can do about this aside from desolder the LED or not use pbt keycaps?

2) Anywhere I can get gold 62g springs in the west atm?

1) Seems like the inner profile of the keycaps is causing the issue? You can either try dremeling out that X on the caps or desolder the LEDs. If you're not comfortable with desoldering, I believe margo baggins is in the UK and does modding services for a fee.

2) I think sprit was running a GB for gold springs and you just missed out. I see there's a rumor that sprit may have extras but you can try to get in on a future round or buy from someone who might have been on the sale. Also you can try your luck with Originative.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7663 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 13:25:46 »
If they're the domed type of LEDs, lower profile caps were known to cause that issue. The tops of the LEDs can be sanded down to provide better clearance. Otherwise, the rectangular 2x3x4 LEDs to replace them are recommended.

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #7664 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 13:28:01 »
If they're the domed type of LEDs, lower profile caps were known to cause that issue. The tops of the LEDs can be sanded down to provide better clearance. Otherwise, the rectangular 2x3x4 LEDs to replace them are recommended.

They are the domed type. Is there any info regarding good ways to sand them down or is it just a case of putting some sandpaper to them carefully until it doesn't do it anymore?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #7665 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 13:30:46 »
Everything I've seen just says sand them a little. I would say sand a little at a time, and check the caps for clearance until you get it right. One or some might need to be sanded a bit more than others due to profile changes between rows, but just doing a little at a time and checking in between should get you there.

Offline b7ad

• ゆめうつつ
    • mechblog
« Reply #7666 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 14:25:07 »
Everything I've seen just says sand them a little. I would say sand a little at a time, and check the caps for clearance until you get it right. One or some might need to be sanded a bit more than others due to profile changes between rows, but just doing a little at a time and checking in between should get you there.

I feel it won't take much sanding as it's literally the cross of plastic that it touches ever so slightly, if I rock the key I can pretty much feel it resting on the very top of the LED. Thanks a lot for the help, I never even thought to sand the LED's.

1) On my kmac, the WASD keys have LEDs - I have some cherry profile bsp keycaps on the board and it feels like the LEDs are a little high and the keys touch them as they are pressed. I tried some doubleshots on there and since they don't have those stability X's in the molds, it doesn't do it. Is there anything I can do about this aside from desolder the LED or not use pbt keycaps?

2) Anywhere I can get gold 62g springs in the west atm?

1) Seems like the inner profile of the keycaps is causing the issue? You can either try dremeling out that X on the caps or desolder the LEDs. If you're not comfortable with desoldering, I believe margo baggins is in the UK and does modding services for a fee.

2) I think sprit was running a GB for gold springs and you just missed out. I see there's a rumor that sprit may have extras but you can try to get in on a future round or buy from someone who might have been on the sale. Also you can try your luck with Originative.

Yes Captain, it is indeed the inner profile of the keycaps! I thought about dremeling out the X, I had never thought about sanding the top of the LED's though. Also thanks for bringing up margo baggins, could be helpful in the future, definitely not comfortable with soldering/desoldering, although I want to get in to it at some point, maybe just not with my kmac as a jumping off point!

In regard to the gold springs, thanks for that I totally missed the group buy but will keep an eye on the thread. I believe originative are out of stock unfortunately.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 May 2014, 14:28:31 by b7ad »

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #7667 on: Wed, 07 May 2014, 20:05:47 »
Has anyone heard about, or is there going to be a new manufacturer for Topre keycaps now that Topre corp has stopped production?
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 May 2014, 07:54:18 by epzy »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline juguerre

« Reply #7668 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 01:17:51 »
Hi guys!
Regarding realforce EK sales...  Have you any idea how long it will be "active"?
I'm just going crazy trying to make the decision of buying or not realforce 55gr...
Would be great if I  could 'wait'  a couple of months more...
Realforce 105 variable (at work)     Ducky G2Pro ISO TKL Mx-Clear    Realforce 87 55g (home)

Offline blackbox

« Reply #7669 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 02:33:47 »
Do you guys know if it is possible to order a single stepper caps lock keycap anywhere?  I want one for my cm qf xt. The options I can think of is a custom one from signature plastics or source it from another keyboard.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62536.0

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7670 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 07:53:18 »
Hi guys!
Regarding realforce EK sales...  Have you any idea how long it will be "active"?
I'm just going crazy trying to make the decision of buying or not realforce 55gr...
Would be great if I  could 'wait'  a couple of months more...

Until they run out of stock. Not really sure when that will be.

Do you guys know if it is possible to order a single stepper caps lock keycap anywhere?  I want one for my cm qf xt. The options I can think of is a custom one from signature plastics or source it from another keyboard.

TechKeys.us has some center stemmed stepped caps lock.

Has anyone heard about, or is there going to be a new manufacterer for Topre keycaps now that Topre corp has stopped production?

I haven't heard anything about the Topre keycaps since the rumors started that Topre is stopping production.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7671 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 08:01:03 »
who has the best blog on geekhack?
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7672 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 08:03:35 »

this guy?

but for external hosted ones, I have always enjoyed mashby's http://cpkey.com/

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7673 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 08:13:28 »

I remember reading about the Fierce Horse legend somewhere...

In addition to thin hamster and fierce horse stories, I really like Komar's blog and obra's blog.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 May 2014, 08:30:40 by CPTBadAss »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7674 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 08:22:32 »

I remember reading about the Fierce Horse legend somewhere...

In addition to thin hamster and fierce horse stories, I really like Komar's blog and obra's blog.

Totally forgot about Komar, if you want some deep keyboard knowledge he has it. :D

For those that don't know where it is http://blog.komar.be/

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #7675 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 08:54:36 »
Has anyone done a back light mod using parallel EL mat on a model M or any keyboard for that matter? 

I have seen a couple examples of people using el wire but with limited cosmetic success.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline blackbox

« Reply #7676 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 09:28:39 »

Thanks! Too bad theyre sold out.
Keyboards: Dell AT102W (matias standard clicky), Maltron two-hand 3D fully ergonomic keyboard (Vintage MX Black). CM QF XT (MX Grey) IBM model M

The LAN table!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7677 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 09:29:58 »

Does PimpMyKeyboard have it? I can't remember what they're selling there. It's SP's novelty cap site.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7678 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 09:34:25 »

The black and white with wyse font is available at techkeys

Offline blackbox

« Reply #7679 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 13:25:51 »

yea I looked to quickly there. thanks.

The black and white with wyse font is available at techkeys

The LAN table!

Offline SeeThruHead

« Reply #7680 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 16:06:36 »
Anyone know how or have a link for how to make a cable to connect a poker or other mini-usb keyboard to a phone? Needs to me without an adaptor. Cable needs to have one end micro (with OTG ability) and the other end Mini for the keyboard. I've got connectors and cable just need to know the pinouts.

Painted QFR          Poker 2

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7681 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 16:14:15 »
Anyone know how or have a link for how to make a cable to connect a poker or other mini-usb keyboard to a phone? Needs to me without an adaptor. Cable needs to have one end micro (with OTG ability) and the other end Mini for the keyboard. I've got connectors and cable just need to know the pinouts.

You can find the pinouts on Wikipedia.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7682 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 21:15:17 »

You can find the pinouts on Wikipedia.
DIY OTG cables are hard to make.

It's possible, but difficult. Even with the pinout.

It would be much easier to purchase a longer OTG cable and solder a new connector to the end. I just use a short OTG cable and a short USB cable for the poker and call it good. Texting has never been easier, though I want to make a 40% for it soon.

Offline intelli78

« Reply #7683 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 21:17:50 »
Texting has never been easier, though I want to make a 40% for it soon.

Bit OT -- if you have an Android, check out AirDroid, it's amazing for texting via computer/keyboard.

Offline sipth

« Reply #7684 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 07:49:47 »
I'm thinking of making a numpad for tenkeyless keyboard but I was wondering if I would be able to rebind to keys on it. And where is a good place to buy the PCB, case etc... for the numpad if im going to DIY it myself? thanks

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7685 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 07:58:04 »
1) I'm thinking of making a numpad for tenkeyless keyboard but I was wondering if I would be able to rebind to keys on it.

2) And where is a good place to buy the PCB, case etc... for the numpad if im going to DIY it myself? thanks

1) Depends on the firmware you decide to use. Some people make their own. Hasus TMK firmware is also popular.

2) I've seen people use (I think) PCBWing? I know oshpark for sure does PCBs. Case? Again depends on how you're designing it.

Check out the Geekhackers Youtube channel for a video called how to build your own custom keyboard and the making stuff together subforum for more info.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 May 2014, 08:03:10 by CPTBadAss »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7686 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 08:00:02 »
I'm thinking of making a numpad for tenkeyless keyboard but I was wondering if I would be able to rebind to keys on it. And where is a good place to buy the PCB, case etc... for the numpad if im going to DIY it myself? thanks

You should check out the GHPad. It uses the same chip as the GH60 iirc and is programmable. There are also files for acrylic cases for it available.

Offline sipth

« Reply #7687 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 08:38:22 »

You should check out the GHPad. It uses the same chip as the GH60 iirc and is programmable. There are also files for acrylic cases for it available.

The GHpad seems perfect, where can I get one? I've never DIY-ed my own keyboard before so i dont know much, will go and read up about it!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7688 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 08:53:46 »
The GHpad seems perfect, where can I get one?

I think someone in the thread has extra betas PCBs? Eventually there should be a GB. I also thought I saw some on TaoBao but you can double check that in the thread.

Offline sipth

« Reply #7689 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 08:57:07 »
The GHpad seems perfect, where can I get one?

I think someone in the thread has extra betas PCBs? Eventually there should be a GB. I also thought I saw some on TaoBao but you can double check that in the thread.

ahh thanks! Pretty excited for this project! Guess I'll look into the groupbuy thread to find it(IF i can find it :P)!
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 May 2014, 09:01:20 by sipth »

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #7690 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 16:27:57 »
Using the diagram for the Costar stabilizer layout from this post: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33298.0 what would the "A" value be for a 6.25 unit space bar? The spec (http://cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm) doesn't indicate what it would be. Thanks.

-abjr
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline kevinlivecomau

« Reply #7691 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 07:19:56 »
I've just received my Filco Majestouch-2 Blue switch keyboard. The keys feel a lot heavier than my Blackwidow also blue switch. I'm just wondering if this is a normal occurrence? 

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #7692 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 08:05:20 »
I've just received my Filco Majestouch-2 Blue switch keyboard. The keys feel a lot heavier than my Blackwidow also blue switch. I'm just wondering if this is a normal occurrence?

This might be because your BW is a bit more broken in/worn.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7693 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 19:15:12 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

What BlueBär said, plus it might have to do with the Filco's more solid construction, and its much better keycaps that give an overall more satisfactory feeling.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #7694 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 19:33:28 »
ive got a simple question, just dont know if this is the right place to put it....

anyone has the link to the hammer 60% cases on taobao???

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7695 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 19:43:12 »
ive got a simple question, just dont know if this is the right place to put it....

u mean fake hammer 60%?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #7696 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 22:07:24 »

You mean this ?

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.0.oQu2d5&scm=1007.10009.518.0&id=37135757229&pvid=e03e87fc-4d7a-4ca3-b297-395b6db97bea
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline feizor

« Reply #7697 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 22:29:26 »

You mean this ?

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=2013.1.0.0.oQu2d5&scm=1007.10009.518.0&id=37135757229&pvid=e03e87fc-4d7a-4ca3-b297-395b6db97bea

Has anyone actually bought one of these?

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #7698 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 22:35:19 »

You mean this ?

Has anyone actually bought one of these?

qtan is looking into it. I think the seller still has to make them.

Some of us here have been wanting to know about them.  There is a thread somewhere about it, and I'm sure that's where he will post as soon as he knows all the details.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #7699 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 23:01:06 »
Absolutely love the sleeving on my headphones (TH600), what's the softest cable sleeving? Or is it a matter of what's getting sleeved?