Author Topic: Help Me Identify This Keyboard  (Read 9676 times)

Offline indilinx

Help Me Identify This Keyboard
« on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 01:32:02 »
found this while cleaning out a friends house. no brand stickers, just a manufacturing sticker. "Monterey International Corp."
forgot the model number, just remember not being able to find any information on it

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Halvar

Re: Help Me Identify This Keyboard
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 08:18:43 »
If you're in Europe, sell it to me!   :cool:

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 08:19:23 »
If you're in the US sell it to me! :cool:
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 08:26:16 »
no brand stickers, just a manufacturing sticker. "Monterey International Corp."

Please post the details, a photo of any label would be great.

Blue Monterey sliders are totally awesome switches that are very hard to find in a decent board.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 08:28:01 »

Blue Monterey sliders are totally awesome switches that are very hard to find in a decent board.

Those don't look like monterey's to me. I mean, I know the thing is made by Monterey, but those have the shape of Alps sliders. Though I don't see any labeling on the switches. Confusing board that I want ;)
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline ___q

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 08:40:56 »

Those don't look like monterey's to me. I mean, I know the thing is made by Monterey, but those have the shape of Alps sliders. Though I don't see any labeling on the switches. Confusing board that I want ;)

Yeah, those look like (complicated) blue clicky alps to me (the older, generally complicated, alps switches tend to be lacking the alps logo).

At least, they look identical to the switches on a broken northgate 102 that I need to tear down one of these days.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 August 2013, 08:43:28 by ___q »

Offline 1391406

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:05:34 »
I agree. Those don't look like any Monterey Blues I own or have seen. The color isn't that saturated. They look like Blue Alps.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:30:34 »
If you are in hell sell it to me!
 ;D
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline ___q

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:37:51 »
I agree. Those don't look like any Monterey Blues I own or have seen. The color isn't that saturated. They look like Blue Alps.

Aside from the color issues, Monterey Blues don't have the same shape of sliders:  http://webwit.nl/input/misc/minitouch_monterey/6.jpg

The "tabs" on the blue sliders in OPs pictures are different.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:51:24 »
I am curious about the build quality of the keyboard itself - chassis, case, etc.

Doubleshot caps indicate that somebody at the factory, or somewhere, really cared about quality.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline 1391406

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:52:50 »
To me, the switch looks like this:

Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline 1391406

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:56:22 »
Post an image of the sticker on the back, please.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 05 August 2013, 09:56:42 »
To me, the switch looks like this:

Show Image

That's pretty much my exact thought as well. It seems like my good old friend Complicated Blue Alps which I've been searching for for a while now. ME WANNA BUY
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline indilinx

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 01:35:12 »
i took a picture of the back sticker.
Model number being K101, try googling it LOL, nothing comes up

« Last Edit: Wed, 07 August 2013, 01:36:48 by indilinx »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 08:31:35 »
It is a Monterey K101, with blue Alps switches.
What else do you need to know?

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 08:46:44 »
SELL IT TO MEEEEE :-*
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline indilinx

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 August 2013, 16:51:28 »
It is a Monterey K101, with blue Alps switches.
What else do you need to know?

like i said, no information comes up from searches. I'm looking for additional information like, origin, history, approx worth ?

SELL IT TO MEEEEE :-*

I would, but I'm located in Canada so shipping might be an issue. Also i have no idea how much its worth.
gona have to get a shipping estimate first
the condition is pretty good though

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 16:10:41 »
That is one of the most awesome keyboards ever made. I've got one — I've just realised that it's the OEM source product of my Tulip ATK 030244. (Including those funky arrow keys!)

Yes those are genuine complicated blue Alps switches, and the keyboard is very resonant, giving it a really rich, lush sound.

FCC registration date is 04/10/1987, so that will give you some idea of its age.

The huge down side is the vintage layout. I started moving the switch uppers (upper shell, return spring, slider, click leaf) into my Dell AT101W — the lovely resonance is gone, and the switches don't feel as light, so I may need to swap out the actuator leaves as well, as they may have less "give" in the later generation design used in the Dell. Ideally the switches should be transplanted properly, and I feel sad at losing the integrity of my beloved Tulip keyboard. (That was my first clicky keyboard.)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 20:13:02 »
I WONDER WHAT THAT BLANK KEY BETWEEN THE LEFT CONTROL AND ALT KEYS DOES? HAVEN'T SEEN ONE OF THOSE ON A KEYBOARD BEFORE.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 20:18:54 »
Since you can't even find the caps lock key on your own keyboard …

(In all seriousness, those blank keys are placeholders for the one extra key in European keyboards. That blank key is \ on mine, and the key between right alt and right control is the displaced # — Tulip ATK 030244 rebadged K101)
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner