Author Topic: geekhackers.org store testing -- lube kits and PS2 -> USB adapters!  (Read 18304 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Folks,

With the aid of the mkawa brand krytoxapullt and a lot of elbow grease, i've manage to pack a couple dozen vials of krytox GPL 206 to varying degrees. I'd like to send some of them off to test my early version of the packaging method and look for changes to optimize the package's usefulness for everyone.

Because the lube kits are very much a beta test, I will be selling them at a discount compared to the completed kits.

i also have a gigantic box full of those PS2 to USB adapters that need to be sold.

PRICING:

BETA LUBE KIT: ~20g krytox 1506 oil, ~8g krytox 206 grease, clean 5ml syringe with 27ga scabbarded luer lock needle. 12$ + shipping

RTM ID Innovations Multimode PS2 to USB keyboard adapter: 12$ + shipping

At the moment I only have the capability to ship to CONUS. Payment will be via Paypal. Shipping should be between 2 and 3 dollars to anywhere in the CONUS. If you have a terrible local USPS hub that destroys all your mail PLEASE ORDER!! I want to make sure my packaging system will stand up to USPS's worst!

-KAWA

HOW TO ORDER: send me a PM with your shipping address, paypal email address and requested order. I will send you a paypal money request. when paid, i will then pack and ship. I WILL ACCEPT DOMESTIC US ORDERS AS WELL AS ORDERS TO KOREA, CANADA, UK, AUSTRALIA, and NORTHERN EUROPE. ALL INTERNATIONAL ORDER PMs MUST INCLUDE A PHONE NUMBER FOR CUSTOMS
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2013, 12:08:06 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
Send one to my proxy mkawa. University handling must be terrible :P

Offline actionbastard

I'd be in for a lube kit.
XArmor U9BL-S | Ducky DK9008G2 PRO | ErgoDox (soon)

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
im in as soon as its not conus only
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
I'll take 2 lube kits. Invoice me yo!!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
If you want to test how shipping works in Canada PM me!  ;D
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Jrwestcoast

I will take one of the lube kits and will let you know how it does. I have had some packages completely destroyed.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
You want to test your packaging? Send it to me dude.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
You needed a UK guinea pig? :))
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline jonathanyu

If you have a terrible local USPS hub that destroys all your mail
^-^ that's me

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
You needed a UK guinea pig? :))
PM ME!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
1 lube kit please 
PM'd, invoice plox

Offline JPG

1 lube kit for Canada! PM sent  ;D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
mohit, if you want one i'm willing to try FC mail to india, but i don't really expect it to arrive, so my advice: don't waste your money ;) wait till we have a robust international shipping solution.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Send one to my proxy mkawa. University handling must be terrible :P
PM ME!!! i definitely want to test two-hop shipping out to south america.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
I'd be interested in USB adaptor or two when not CONUS only.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
Paid :D
* Dubsgalore is excited

Offline Topre

I'll take a kit for a discount. :p

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
I'd be interested in USB adaptor or two when not CONUS only.

rowdy, i owe you a usb adapter from the last buy. PM me please!

Offline n0rvig

Awe! I wanted to be the Canadian guinea pig! gj

Offline affect656

I would order one and get them sent to my parents house for future retrieval but if you really want I'll get it to sent to my APO AP address which is a US address that ships it overseas to Korea, and boxes get banged up. Let me know?
I like linear.

Offline JPG

Awe! I wanted to be the Canadian guinea pig! gj

Oink!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
as of this writing there are 19 beta lube kits left.

i'll take a second canadian. n0rvig, PM me your order. include your phone number for customs.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
I would order one and get them sent to my parents house for future retrieval but if you really want I'll get it to sent to my APO AP address which is a US address that ships it overseas to Korea, and boxes get banged up. Let me know?
yep, APO is perfect. PM me your order with the APO address

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
pm sent for a lube kit!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
17 left!

Offline Topre

Here is a tip, if you want the package to be throw around then put a handle with care or fragile sticker on it. You can also put custom stickers requesting it to be thrown around and kicked. I have a feeling both packages will be equally damaged if you do that.

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
Here is a tip, if you want the package to be throw around then put a handle with care or fragile sticker on it. You can also put custom stickers requesting it to be thrown around and kicked. I have a feeling both packages will be equally damaged if you do that.
There is much truth to what is said here, sad to say I know people who look for the handle with care packages to use for punting practice, oh well they always loose at the poker table, karma is a ***** hehe

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
HAH

i wish i had some, but i'd have to stand in line for an hour to get like one or two stickers, and well, let's just say the window workers at my local PO do not. like. me. at all.

so, someone has been asking me about how to use the lube kits, and for some reason i wrote a novel in response (and this is separate from the instructions i wrote and am including with every order.

So if I'm understanding correctly, I want to use a mixture of oil and grease on the sliders of the switch and the little feet things, and just oil on the spring and stem.

Is there any specific ratio I should be going by for the mixture?
the irony here is that i don't personally lube switches so i have no idea what people actually do with this lube. i just know they want it and they've had to do weird shady things to get it in the past. i'm providing a way to put a single drop of lube OR lube/grease mix anywhere you want. i'm not actually sure if this is how people use the krytox, it's how i personally use krytox, but i tend to lube machine parts, joints and other bushings and bearings with it.

i would just go to the lube thread and ask people how they do it. i know some people (i was talking with nubbinator in particular) like to use a fine paintbrush and just get a sheen, and they use the grease/oil mixture everywhere. however, some people like to do other stuff. i know limmy also uses a heavier mineral oil, but i don't recommend mixing krytox with a mineral oil. krytox doesn't like petro oils, and krytox lasts much much longer than petro oils. just replace the petro oil with a more viscous krytox mix.

as far as ratio is concerned, i've done some testing with the specific combo i have on hand and you can go pretty high, as high as 3:1 oil to grease and still get something that's quite viscous at room temperature. however, the dupont chemist felt that somewhere between 1.3:1 and 2:1 was about right and you wouldn't get much better performance above that ratio; my feeling is that he is probably right. you want the oil to seem a bit heavier and more viscous. viscosity is actually separate from lubridicity. oddly, and especially with these fluoropolymers, you can have a viscous oil that significantly reduces the coefficient of friction. it's kind of the beauty of PFPE and PTFE, actually. you can have this viscous oil that stays in one place, but has an extremely low coefficient of friction.

to see an example of this in a less exotic situation, think of PTFE mouse feet. they are quite slippery, right? however, they're completely solid. although we normally think of coefficient of friction as being proportional to viscosity, that's really only true for certain types of oils, specifically petro-based oils and silicone-based oils. it's not true of fluoropolymers.

the secret to fluorinated materials is that they just don't like other substances. they don't mix with them, they don't get along with them. they're just kind of like

the reason why is very basic chemistry. fluorine is an incredibly reactive halogen, but because it's so reactive, once it forms a stable bond with something, it becomes exceedingly inert. so PTFE and PFPE, which are the class of polymers that krytox belongs to, are all fluorine capped. their polymer compounds are these long strings of organic compounds with really nice properties that we want, and then to protect the polymer stringest, fluorine is placed in a highly stable bond as a cap on every endpoint. to make a macroscopic biological analogy, these polymers are kind of like micro-organisms that form hardened cell membranes and hibernate to hide and survive over long periods of time; tuberculosis does this, as do many other very highly drug resistant bacteria.

that said, there are a lot of friction points in a cherry switch (same with an alps switch, buckling spring, etc.). some of those friction points make the switch more pleasant to type on -- like the distinct tactile bump on a factory green. some of those friction points make the switch less pleasant to type on -- like the scratchy sliding action of a factory cherry black. so it really depends on your preferences. where do you want there to be less friction? _those_ are the points that you want to put a drop or a sheen or what have you of lube on.

once you get into it and realize how amazing this stuff is, you'll find that there's a ton of stuff that can benefit from krytox as well. i lubricate box joints on hand tools with it (feels... so... good..), nearly anything with a bushing or bearing on it, and so on...

just remember that the grease has a 260C hard limit at which the PTFE matrix melts (although the oil in the 206 may start off-gassing before then, it is generally good up to 200C), so it's also definitely good for some automotive applcations, small machines (like 3d printers :D), and all kinds of other junk. heck, if you have a particularly noisy door...

so anyway, what you want to remember is that what i'm doing here is trying to get literally the highest end bleeding edge lubricant to everyone as a nice reasonable price. using it is really up to you. it's been a lot of work to get to this point, but i have no doubt that you guys can come up with cool and effective ways to use it.

in fact, here's one: you now how some caps are tighter than others on cherry cruciforms? have a particularly tight cap? a single drop of oil is probably enough to clear that up without contaminating every other part of the cap.

Offline Topre

You can print your own stickers using envelope or shipping labels.

Since it seems like you like writing, how much Krytox 1506 can I drink before getting diarrhea, extreme diarrhea and before dying?

Imagine making a waterpark with Krytox, you would see people slipping everywhere! A slide with Krytox would be fun though. :))

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
a truck dispatch office just called me :|

according to the msds: http://msds.dupont.com/msds/pdfs/EN/PEN_09004a35804e560f.pdf

they tried this with a rat, and you'd have to eat more than 110% of your body weight to die from eating GPL 20x greases. the rat probably died from its stomach exploding and not from exposure to the polymer.

either that or the rat just stopped eating and they couldn't make the rat suffer any ill effects so they just reported that it would have to be more than 110% of your body weight.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
i just realized that this is a good thing because almost everything i own has a trace amount of krytox on it now.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
I'd be happy to take one of the kits, but I don't have a unique situation at all.  Just a regular small town post office that takes great care of things, delivered to a house with no issues.  But if you need to unload some of the packs I'd take one.   :)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
sure, send me your order. the beta kits are all ready to go out, and i'm not only testing shipping but the kits themselves (for feedback)

i believe there are 14 or 15 kits left btw

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
PM sent.  Never lubed switches before, this should be interesting.   :)

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Payment sent.  Should be good.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Kawa you wanna try sending to me in Canada or can I just pick up at Keycon :p
I love Elzy

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
can't bring on plane. PM me your order. i'm completely opening it up to AUS, KR, CAN and the UK now. All of Northern Europe, France and other G8 countries are generally OK as well (Spain and Italy, as you guys know, can be iffy. If you're willing to accept the risk though, I'll ship to you).
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 August 2013, 15:53:04 by mkawa »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
12 kits left

NOTE: prices will DEFINITELY be going up after this beta test. If you want the maximum amount of raw krytoxican material for the least cost, now is the time to get a kit. I will be vending more niceties later, but costs are going to have to go up to compensate.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 August 2013, 15:55:14 by mkawa »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
HOLD THE PRESSES FOLKS

i've just discovered that IF YOU EAT 3.7 TIMES YOUR BODY MASS IN KRYTOX OIL, YOU HAVE A FIFTY PERCENT CHANCE OF DYING

be careful out there guys.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
HOLD THE PRESSES FOLKS

i've just discovered that IF YOU EAT 3.7 TIMES YOUR BODY MASS IN KRYTOX OIL, YOU HAVE A FIFTY PERCENT CHANCE OF DYING

wow shoot I better be care
I love Elzy

Offline Xenderwind

HOLD THE PRESSES FOLKS

I think I'm more worried about the greasy poops than the dying part.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
HOLD THE PRESSES FOLKS

wow shoot I better be care

request: pic of sifo 50% dying

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
HOLD THE PRESSES FOLKS

Did you buy over 800 pounds of it?  I hope you did.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
someone clearly wants to live their life on the edge.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Now the chances of us dying just sky-rocketed.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
I could go on a diet while I wait for my package to arrive...
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
slightly less than 10 beta kits left

Offline Xenderwind

slightly less than 10 beta kits left

Have these shipped yet?  Or are you waiting until all are sold before shipping.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
everything paid for so far has shipped. i was a doof and forgot to enter email addresses for the domestic shipments. if you need to know your tracking, pm me