Author Topic: GEEKHACKERS.ORG TEMPORARY STORE  (Read 40456 times)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Keyboards are Important!
Re: GEEKHACKERS.ORG TEMPORARY STORE
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 13:15:30 »
oh ****. this needs a spotlight on it. what has me excited is this Edsyn partnership/vendor thing.  what is a edsyn soldapullt rebuild kit? is this some sort or replacement for the plastic tips on the edsyn soldapullts? that would be amazing as that is exactly what i am looking for.

i mean the melted plastic on the tip doesnt really effect the functionality of the solder sucker. it still works like a charm it is just straight jacked up yo.

oh man what does a GH edition of the Edsyn Soldapullt look like?
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 01:20:22 »
the qfr cases are available domestically directly from the CM store at cost. i will only be selling them to international customers and only because the cm store is unable to serve those customers. please see http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47471.0 for how to order the cases at the geekhack discount directly from coolermaster.

i'm still working things out with edsyn. there will be rebuild kits that will consider of a small amount of premixed krytox, a fluorinated elastomer o-ring and a new ptfe tip in either black or blue and white. there will also be full soldapult ds017 units with the fluorinated bits already installed. both items will come will come branded in some way that is currently TBD. i'm currently leaning toward stickers that are either pre-applied or packaged with the item, depending on how complicated the stickers end up being. in the long run, our collaboration with edsyn will hopefully produce a lot more personalization options. however, we are still in the early stages of this, and there are various documents to sign and money to pull out of the couch to make all this happen.

oh, and the benefit of the fluorinated polymers used in my version of the rebuild kit (note that edsyn does sell its own rebuild kit) is that the NO HEAT OR SOLVENTS warning on the barrel will no longer apply. i have been testing the crap out of my upgraded unit as i tune the sizing and various other variables and i can do some pretty darn cool stuff with the prototype gh soldapullt. for example, i can literally suck in flux fumes at full temp along with molten eutectic solder and not have it cause leakage or degradation of the unit. i can literally get my prototype to hold vacuum as long as i've tested. it does not leak at all in any way, basically, even with use (the edsyn o-ring and grease, while inexpensive, _will_ leak after a moderate amount of use). i'm not completely sure my prototype produces better end to end performance yet (i am actually bringing it in for some comprehensive tests tomorrow), but i will not sell my units until i am sure they are an upgrade from the standard edsyn unit.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 September 2013, 01:26:04 by mkawa »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 06:06:54 »
^^ sounds like edsyn may want to implement your changes in their design ;)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 10:17:55 »
this is something we've talked about, and the issue is that my fluorinated upgrades cost several orders of magnitude more than their standard equipment. imo it's worth it for the demanding geekhack crowd, but they would have to significantly change their stocking and manufacturing practices for it and don't see the value for the average user.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 10:19:14 »
Need rebuild kit...liek nao. ;)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 10:21:13 »
meeting today. i think we're going to spend about 90% of the meeting frying random things with the welder but we'll sign the docs and get our ducks in a row so to get stock in asap

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 10:43:09 »
meeting today. i think we're going to spend about 90% of the meeting frying random things with the welder but we'll sign the docs and get our ducks in a row so to get stock in asap

Meeting about what? Ducks? Sorry kawa, I have no interest in ducks.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 11:30:52 »
I LOVE DUCKS

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 11:34:12 »
speaking of ducks, i completely forgot that i will be getting thick PBT dyesub geekhack monthly keys (yes, the hiatus is ending!) and the spacebars (with like 1/3 upside down because girlshark and jocklyn -- new nickname yaaaa are crazy!) soonish

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 11:35:57 »
MONTHLY geekhack keys!!I am so new here.  :o

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 23:25:49 »
MONTHLY geekhack keys!!I am so new here.  :o

Long time ago - it will be good to see them come back!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 23:35:52 »
Monthly GH key. Needs moar demik.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 06:55:03 »

I dug through the anals of geekhack to realize I missed all the good times of buying geekhack keys every month is the most wonderful colors :(

But I'd like to see your collection some time JD!

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 11:22:11 »
Yes to lube kits, soldapullts and QFR cases!!! And hell yes to free shipping!! You're amazing.

P.S. Hell yes to heart stickers
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 September 2013, 11:30:42 by goobus »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 25 September 2013, 11:45:58 »
demik heckles everything i do. believe me, there's no need for more demik.

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 13:15:14 »
How much are the rebuild kits going to be? and whats included in the kit? o.o
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 13:43:12 »
the qfr cases are available domestically directly from the CM store at cost. i will only be selling them to international customers and only because the cm store is unable to serve those customers. please see http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47471.0 for how to order the cases at the geekhack discount directly from coolermaster.

i'm still working things out with edsyn. there will be rebuild kits that will consider of a small amount of premixed krytox, a fluorinated elastomer o-ring and a new ptfe tip in either black or blue and white. there will also be full soldapult ds017 units with the fluorinated bits already installed. both items will come will come branded in some way that is currently TBD. i'm currently leaning toward stickers that are either pre-applied or packaged with the item, depending on how complicated the stickers end up being. in the long run, our collaboration with edsyn will hopefully produce a lot more personalization options. however, we are still in the early stages of this, and there are various documents to sign and money to pull out of the couch to make all this happen.

oh, and the benefit of the fluorinated polymers used in my version of the rebuild kit (note that edsyn does sell its own rebuild kit) is that the NO HEAT OR SOLVENTS warning on the barrel will no longer apply. i have been testing the crap out of my upgraded unit as i tune the sizing and various other variables and i can do some pretty darn cool stuff with the prototype gh soldapullt. for example, i can literally suck in flux fumes at full temp along with molten eutectic solder and not have it cause leakage or degradation of the unit. i can literally get my prototype to hold vacuum as long as i've tested. it does not leak at all in any way, basically, even with use (the edsyn o-ring and grease, while inexpensive, _will_ leak after a moderate amount of use). i'm not completely sure my prototype produces better end to end performance yet (i am actually bringing it in for some comprehensive tests tomorrow), but i will not sell my units until i am sure they are an upgrade from the standard edsyn unit.

See the above post. Not sure of cost.

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 13:46:45 »

See the above post. Not sure of cost.

Oh okay cool! thanks CPTBadAss ^^

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 00:19:34 »
some status updates:

1) leakproof PP bottle and PTFE bearing-based mix and dispense packs are in the supply chain and should be assembled and in stock in october

2) i am heavily considering rigging my own poly tube vacuum sealer using recent donations to improve everyone's packaging experience. this would be an alternative to attempting to buy new manufacturing tooling for geekhackers.

3) the learn-to-solder iron is basically an edsyn CL1481 http://www.edsyn.com/index.php?Mode=piw&pn=CL1481. i would get these set and calibrated at the factory to regulate to a little over 350C (ie, a perfect temperature for processing kester 44). this package would come with two tips: a medium general purpose tip equivalent to the popular D16 hakko tip and a large tip equivalent to the popular hakko D32. The benefit of this iron is that it would be: hopefully about half the cost of a hakko 888, absolutely foolproof and temperature calibrated out of the box, and, having carefully examined it, i actually really like the design over the hakko 888. i would dare to say that the pencil itself is higher quality than the 888D's pencil, and it's impossible to miscalibrate, and difficult to burn things up by accident with this iron. i could also make genuine, high quality tips available for very low cost.

4) deciding how to package solder. the edsyn TW108 is one option http://www.edsyn.com/index.php?Mode=piw&pn=TW108. it is a solder spool encased in a dispenser that can also simultaneously hold and dispense desoldering wick. i would sell kester 44 pre-rolled and ready to dispense in this packaging. it's a great no-fuss way to start dealing with both solder and wick. another alternative (the one i was originally preparing for) was a 3d printed spool of my own design, set up for fit the half-built spooler i'm constructing. i will be demoing a tw108 myself with a cl1481 next week as a means of deciding how to deal with this. the tw108 is attractive for a few reasons. first, it is quite obviously sturdier than anything the bot can make, it also dispenses wick and protects the user's hand from heat running down the solder spool or wick spool, and finally, it doesn't require the makerbot to be working, which has frankly been a problem lately.

5) soldapullts with upgrades are in the supply chain

6) sticker surprises :D

my rough schedule is:

i. soldapullts, soldapullt rebuild kits, and qfr tops. beta solder kits (hand rolled). eta 2 wks

ii. geekhackers.org permanent store goes up to many huzzahs. eta 4wks

iii. gh edition fixed temperature learn to solder station goes up for sale in limited quantities eta 6wks

iv. packaging and other fulfillment improvements. eta 8-12wks, although krytox packaging can be improved within a week if we get good consensus in the geeckers tooling thread. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49024.0
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2013, 01:10:31 by mkawa »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 00:26:40 »
i guess the only other thing i have to report is that, although i at first bristled at the thought of having to launch as a forum thread and taking orders via PM (i am a computer scientist, and i failed to automate something?!?! so shameful..), i'm enjoying talking with the awesome geekhackers community so much that i don't think i'll ever stop taking orders via PM (although of course the site will launch for complex order logic, quick turnarounds, better record keeping et&c.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 03:07:01 »
Appreciate all the work your putting into this adventure!

Do you know if anyone has used your lube kit to lube a topre board?
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2013, 03:17:02 by SpAmRaY »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 03:15:50 »
Appreciate all the work your polluting into thus adventure!

Do you know if anyone had used your lube kit to lube a topre board?

Don't know if you meant to say "putting into this adventure" but what you did type was funny :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 03:17:34 »
Appreciate all the work your polluting into thus adventure!

Do you know if anyone had used your lube kit to lube a topre board?

Don't know if you meant to say "putting into this adventure" but what you did type was funny :))

What'd you expect at 3am lol

Offline korrelate

• Trade Count: (2)
  • iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 04:16:52 »
Went to the hobby store and picked up a kit that consists of 5 1/2oz glass jars and three pipettes (Testor). Pushed the krytox grease and oil into one of the jars accordingly by weight to get a 1.7:1 oil:grease ratio and then added a very clean bolt to mix: no ball bearings around = :(. Result is a very very thorough mix of the two.

The set cost me 8.49 at the store, but I just found it on amazon for 5.81:

http://www.amazon.com/Testor-Corp-50625-Mixing-Pipette/dp/B0006MZOQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380446153&sr=8-1&keywords=testor+paint+mixing+set

Cheers,

K

P.S. make sure that whatever you put in that jar to mix the oil and grease is very, very clean.

I'll also say: if you take your time, use gloves, prepare your area so that everything is covered and approach this from a "everything is a one time use" deal you can manage the result wonderfully: I got no oil/grease anywhere but in the glass jar. Also... once you secure the lid on these jars, you can shake away: I don't know if they would hold up in a shipping environment, but for my purposes, I shook the sh*t out of them and didn't get a drop of o/g anywhere outside the bottle (makes sense I guess... these things are intended for mixing paints so they ought to be somewhat fluid tight).
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2013, 04:26:28 by korrelate »

Topre REALFORCE

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 04:19:23 »
^ That's exactly what I'm after but I'm in the UK... At least that's given me something to go on - thanks :D
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 08:06:06 »
Exciting stuff kawa ahd great news!

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 08:50:56 »
Nice stuff kawa! You "almost" make me regret buying my Hakko 888D  :p
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 09:22:17 »
Appreciate all the work your putting into this adventure!

Do you know if anyone has used your lube kit to lube a topre board?

i've played around with using 206 on a topre keychain. it actually makes a huge difference, especially because the type heavens come unlubed - the realforces have silicone grease from the factory. you want a really really weird mix compared to cherry switches though. you basically want like a tiny tiny bit of 1506 against a huge huge amount of 206. something ridiculous like 20 parts 206 to one part 1506. the basic idea is that the 1506 helps keep the seal between the mat and the pcb fairly airtight, but what really makes a difference, and the reason why they use silicone lube on the realforces, is that you actually want something really thick around the stem to help stabilize the stem (almost like an MX switch sticker) and to help make a better gas-tight-ish seal at the stem. the silicone grease they use migrates quite a bit and hence has a fairly limited lifespan. this is one of the major reasons why used topre boards will measure significantly different on actuation force than brand new ones. the rubber mat is very possibly a fluorinated FKM and extremely stable, but the stem assembly is not nearly the same, otherwise it wouldn't even need to be lubed. as such, it's subject to much larger tolerances that the grease can help by filling in.

as far as the mixing and dispensing kit is concerned, the tentative BOM is:

nalgene PP leakproof sample containers, 125ml
package of ptfe bearings. why ptfe? extremely easy to clean without solvents or other potential contaminants, and if the ptfe balls shed any material, it will happily mix in with the 206, which IS ptfe + pfpe oil
luer lock dispenser bottles, 1oz. you may know these from such hits as "limmy's krytox buy". they are not good mixing containers because they leak like crazy
more luer lock 5ml syringes
14ga large bore steel needle for fillling syringes and/or dispenser bottles with your mix
a selection of small gauge flexible needles for applying grease. in practice i've found that the 27ga steel needles bend so much that i'm just going to start buying the flexible 25ga needles instead
one thing i've been keeping an eye on is the possibility of getting some taper tips as well. i personally don't like them, but if your mix ratio is as above (0.1:25 or something insane like that), none of the small bore needles are going to help you dispense. you may need a very large bore taper tip.

very likely the dispenser kit will evolve as people work with it. that said, the foundation will always be a nice leakproof shatterproof bottle (either nalgene scientific or chemware, always) and ptfe bearings for agitation.

nothing wrong with an 888d. i use one and will continue to use one for low power work as long as it holds up (which will be forever, frankly). that said, it's not the best iron for a brand new solderer, frankly. the higher power is great because it lets you get away with soldering incorrectly, using tips that are smaller than you should be using or just kind of jabbing things with it to solder when you're feeling lazy. it's also great if you own like a grand in temp measurement equipment and can calibrate it yourself. there are myriad things i don't like about it for newbie use though. the heating element is exposed for one and i can't even remember the number of times i've gone to change a tip and ended up burning myself on the thing; the ceramic also requires regular cleaning with strong solvents. it's also possible and not that hard to mis or de-calibrate because the UI is so primitive.

and then there are the little things. you have a wet cleaning pad and a dry cleaning pad on the same stand. this is great for me because i know when to use which. it's terrible for a new user. what the heck is a new user supposed to do with this setup? they're going to end up thermally shocking the heater on the wet pad when they don't need to, and getting huge globs of solder into the dry cleaner, which destroys the dry cleaner quickly. there's also the fact that it's frankly a heck of a lot bulkier than it needs to be for a single alloy iron, and there are so many tips offered that half the questions in the soldering thread are "i just got a hakko what the heck do i put on it?!?".

finally, it's a pretty big investment, especially for international users, and everyone else who has to navigate their way through the usual hakko maze of "is it actually genuine? did it actually pass QC?", not just for the iron, but for the tips, and every other part involved.

for me and many of the other experienced users on this site, everything i mentioned above is ezpz. but what i do is remember myself using my first tandy 25w pencil and the crap conical tip it came with and burning the crap out of literally everything. i remember using a hot air gun and gravity to desolder full boards at once and then just replacing all the ICs, because none of them would work after hitting those temps. i remember all the stupid crap i did because i didn't have any guidance, and i want to do what i can to help make the road a bit easier for other people who approach this and other hobbies with a bit less of a devil-may-care attitude than i was a kid, and get them up to speed as quickly as possible.
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 September 2013, 09:38:09 by mkawa »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 18:53:05 »
what if your lubing just the topre sliders?

Offline JPG

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 19:01:48 »
oh well, I know I will end up messing up some things. I watched some soldering tutorial videos and they make it looks easy. It was the same with straight razor shaving videos and let me tell ya that it's FAR from as easy as it looks when done by someone that has done it thousands of times.

But in the end, you gotta do it to learn it. And I admit it's nice if you can make it easier for a lot of us! Thx a lot for doing this!  :thumb:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 23:28:05 »
what if your lubing just the topre sliders?
yep, i just put a very viscous but thin ring blob thingamajig around the topre sliders. this is more or less how the realforces come from the factory too, but with krytox forever-grease 206 instead of whatever silicone lube they're using.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 29 September 2013, 23:30:23 »
it's a mechanical skill really. like any other mechanical skill it needs a modicum of understanding (a little intuitive thermodynamics) and a lot of practice practice practice. you'll burn some stuff up. if you're 15 year old me, you'll burn a LOT of stuff up. but that's ok, it's just stuff. that first board that comes out just right will make it all worth it :)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 16:47:57 »
folks,

i'm home today because i missed my traffic window to get to the office. i also have a whole bunch of stuff which is NOT ready to go out on masse but i could do one-off off-catalogue orders of. i have lube, some new dispensing equipment, a big box full of soldapullts, upgrade kits for those soldapullts, and QFR topcases. if you response time is fast enough to get everything squared away, paid and shipped today, i can build up what you need and get it off to you. Just send me a PM with what you're looking for and I'll give you a quote and start building up whatever needs to be built.

thanks folks!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 16:49:28 »
Are the soldapullts the GH ones?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 17:06:05 »
they can be fluorinated but no fancy GH stickers yet :(

however, you do get to choose any combination of black and blue components.

i have exactly 7 9 total fluorination kits available, including rebuild kits and brand new units. jdcarpe just ordered 3 of those, so there are 4 6 left today. i'll have more later this week. the branding probably won't happen for a little while as i've been working on the art for it, but i will make a large run of stickers once i do make them, and the stickers will be available separately. if you need to desolder things, just order a soldapullt today.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 October 2013, 17:09:08 by mkawa »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 17:10:57 »
Could you possibly take pictures of the parts for those of us not in the know, to better aid in compiling a unit of certain color combinations?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 17:53:11 »
in the short-term, if jd is ok with it, i will take pictures of his score before i send it out. real product shots are on the todo today. i'm hoping to get the tent set up completely and get usable shots for everything today.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 18:05:19 »
in the short-term, if jd is ok with it, i will take pictures of his score before i send it out. real product shots are on the todo today. i'm hoping to get the tent set up completely and get usable shots for everything today.

That would be fine by me. I would like to see what I'm getting. :)

in memoriam

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 18:26:51 »
bam!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 19:22:29 »
The heart stickers finally reveal themselves, LOL
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline JPG

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 19:26:47 »
Do you have the solder yet?

I would like a soldapult, but I also need solder and I would prefer saving on shipping to Canada and get both at the same time so if you don't have the solder ready yet I'll be patient (or try) and wait!  :-X

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 20:10:25 »
The heart stickers finally reveal themselves, LOL
HUGE SUCCESS

i need to pull down a template for the little speech bubbles actually. these are going to be so much fun.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 20:13:34 »

I would like a soldapult, but I also need solder and I would prefer saving on shipping to Canada and get both at the same time so if you don't have the solder ready yet I'll be patient (or try) and wait!  :-X
i have solder and pullts. i think i'm going to have to hand spool the solder, but i can definitely get some out. PM me with what you'd like to order and i'll take a look at what needs to be done to get it to you.

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 09:06:04 »

i have solder and pullts. i think i'm going to have to hand spool the solder, but i can definitely get some out. PM me with what you'd like to order and i'll take a look at what needs to be done to get it to you.

Pm'ed regarding something similar =)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 14:18:55 »
kester spools will be dispensed 1oz at a time in the the edsyn handheld dispenser systems, i won't have those until monday. how much is 1oz of kester 44?

it's plenty. but what's cool about these dispensers is that they provide a spool, are neat, ALSO dispense wick if you absolutely need some, and are basically foolproof (i can't count the number of times i've burned myself on wick. check it out:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #95 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 14:21:52 »
how much for the fancy solder holders :eek:

Offline JonasDK

• Let me poo on you
« Reply #96 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 16:35:16 »
How much are the soldapults going to be?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 19:33:41 »
Soldapullt pricing is as follows:

a DS017LSGH (an edsyn ESD safe, all-black soldapullt with fluorinated upgrades) is 36$ + ship.
a DS017GH (an esdyn, blue and yellow soldapullt with fluorinated upgrades) is 29$ + ship.
a 100% edsyn DS017 (exactly the same product as vended by edsyn) is 22$ + ship.

Rebuild kit pricing is as follows. Note that all rebuild kits are fluorinated, and include a fluorinated o-ring, premixed krytox grease, a syringe applicator (NOT shipped to SE Asia -- still working on that one..), and a brand new genuine soldapullt tip

a DS017GH REBUILD is 14 (BLUE tip)
a DS017LSGH REBUILD is 16 (BLACK conductive tip)

soldapullt builds that combine blue and black plastic parts are special order. PM me for price.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 19:38:27 »
i will have kester pack prices sometime tonight they will include the awesome dispenser and 1oz of Kester 44.

i will also have krytox MIX AND APPLY KITS priced with a manifest of what will be contained in them.

Note that the MIX AND APPLY KITS do not include krytox lube. the idea is that a KRYTOX LUBE KIT comes with krytox grease, oil and the absolute minimum needed to mix and apply (with a fair amount of effort). the MIX AND APPLY KIT is a deluxe kit with enough gear to make mixing and applying much much more pleasant, with all pieces chosen to be as friendly to the krytox and the user as possible.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 October 2013, 19:47:34 by mkawa »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 19:56:08 »
AHA! found it.

OK, KESTER PACK is: 8$ + ship. This includes the awesome solder dispenser shown above (but without all the little scratches; that's a demo unit I've been playing with that has been well loved, to say the least. The KESTER PACK also includes at least one heart sticker AND MAYBE a demik quote as well, depending on my mood. In summary, it will come decorated, because little heart stickers are awesome.

I'm not sure if it will come with a sample of edsyn desoldering braid. I most likely won't know until Monday, but that will be the price regardless.