Author Topic: GEEKHACKERS.ORG TEMPORARY STORE  (Read 40592 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • because reasons.......
Re: GEEKHACKERS.ORG TEMPORARY STORE
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 20:05:45 »
So much awesome

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 20:09:14 »
just a reminder that kester 44 <3s you :)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 20:15:36 »
ALSO, an announcement! i have been totally hearing everyone's frustration with the minor leakage or worse of 1506 VPF out of the plastic vials. There is exactly one solution to this, but I have refrained from implementing it due to not wanting to raise the price of the packs. HOWEVER, recent extremely generous donations have allowed me to purchase a vacuum sealing setup. from here on, ALL sensitive products will be vacuum packed in thick HDPE bagging with NO CHANGE IN COST.

THANK YOU ALL DONATORS FOR YOUR EXTREMELY GENEROUS DONATIONS! i wanted to make sure as many people as possible could benefit from your donations, and since krytox and krytox-related _stuff_ is our most popular product, I felt this was the best way to spend a portion of that money. THANK YOU AGAIN! many hands will be saved from vigorous rubbing on microfiber cloths thanks to your donations. :D

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 20:28:05 »
What is the earliest you can ship the Kester 44 with the kit, I need one ASAP!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 20:34:11 »
monday. i actually tried to grab them today, but edsyn is basically locked up for fiscal year end inventory

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 20:38:29 »
OK, here comes my n00b questions:

What does this fluorinated thing change?

What are those rebuilt kit? Defective ones rebuilt? Are they working as good as a new one?
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 20:48:00 »
the fluorinated lubricants and o-ring have two effects: more pressure at the same piston velocity: this make the soldapullt more effective. i don't have the instruments needed to measure exactly how much more effective, but i used both my upgraded prototype unit and the original unit extensively, and i really really prefer the upgraded unit. case in point, after a few uses, the original edsyn soldapullt will tend to leak vacuum if you were to, say, block up the tip (which is one way i test them). the rod may hold for a second or so, but the vacuum will leak and the rod will extract itself from the barrel. the fluorinated units will hold their vacuum for literally as long as you're willing to block the tip. i haven't been patient enough to do this for longer than about 5 minutes, but the basic idea is that they do not leak vacuum, ever. this means more force and more velocity at the tip when you hit the trigger.

the other benefit of the fluorinated parts is that the fluorinated grease does not have to be reapplied regularly like the grease that edsyn uses does. time will tell, but it will last much much much longer before reapplication of grease (several orders of magnitude longer). further, neither the fluorinated o-ring or the grease are susceptible to heat or solvents. the edsyn units have molded into them, in large text "NO HEAT OR SOLVENTS". the GH editions more or less get rid of that limitation of the soldapullt.

the rebuild kits are mainly for older soldapullts that have had extensive use and are not pulling the vacuum they used to or have significantly degraded (read: melted) tips. they can also be used to upgrade an existing soldapullt to a gh-fluorinated version. and yes, after rebuilding a soldapullt, it should work as good as new (the only thing that's not replaced is the spring. if you still have issues with your soldapullt after rebuilding with the gh kit, i can source you a replacement spring assembly.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 October 2013, 20:50:35 by mkawa »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 21:09:38 »
Hi kawa, I am unaware of edsyn's large line-up of products, so you can answer this better, do they have a version of their desoldering tool, where the tip is heated by a heating element, like the cheap Chinese variant I bought some time back. A "Desoldering iron". I am quite happy with mine, however as you would expect, the local tool doesn't hold as much vacuum or last as long as an Edsyn product would.

The construction is quite simple, instead of a plastic tip like the one on a soldapullt, they have a metallic tip, which is connected to a ceramic heating element which is then wired to a power outlet. The fact that you need only one tool as opposed to using a soldering iron and desoldering tool, makes the job quicker and you have to worry less about timing it correctly.

The logical problem with such a tool would be the susceptibility to heat, now with the fluorinated o-ring and grease, the problem is reduced.

If Edsyn don't have such a product, have they considered one, as I believe we need a product between the soldapullt and the Hakko 808, something intermediate.

Edit: Something like this: http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6841
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 October 2013, 21:12:20 by MOZ »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 21:20:53 »
Whats wrong with the soldapult? I just wanted to know why you think there needs to be a step inbetween a soldapult and a 808.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 October 2013, 21:31:24 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 21:24:15 »
I love my soldapullt...they really work great

Don't change what doesn't need to be changed!  :p

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 21:31:40 »
Whats wrong with the soldapult?

Takes longer to use, both hands get occupied, and you have to time it so that you can suck up the solder at the right time.

What I am suggesting is similar to a Hakko 808, however instead of mechanical suction, it involves manual suction using a plunger like the Soldapullt.

I just wanted to know why you think there needs to be a step inbetween a soldapult and a 808.
Price, the Soldapullt isn't too expensive, however the Hakko 808 can be considering international shipping as well, so a solution which is better than the current Soldapullt howver not as expensive as the Hakko 808 would be welcome.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 October 2013, 21:33:48 by MOZ »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 21:34:04 »
I desoldered an entire QFR in 45 minutes with a Soldapult. Seems to work out fine for me.

* CPTBadAss shrugs

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 21:37:41 »
For the Price, the soldapullt is great and very efficient.
trust me, once you get to learn how to use it, you can fly with it  ;)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 22:00:42 »
I desoldered an entire QFR in 45 minutes with a Soldapult. Seems to work out fine for me.

* CPTBadAss shrugs

What if could do it in half-an-hour ;)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 00:53:42 »
Hi kawa, I am unaware of edsyn's large line-up of products, so you can answer this better, do they have a version of their desoldering tool, where the tip is heated by a heating element, like the cheap Chinese variant I bought some time back. A "Desoldering iron". I am quite happy with mine, however as you would expect, the local tool doesn't hold as much vacuum or last as long as an Edsyn product would.

The construction is quite simple, instead of a plastic tip like the one on a soldapullt, they have a metallic tip, which is connected to a ceramic heating element which is then wired to a power outlet. The fact that you need only one tool as opposed to using a soldering iron and desoldering tool, makes the job quicker and you have to worry less about timing it correctly.

The logical problem with such a tool would be the susceptibility to heat, now with the fluorinated o-ring and grease, the problem is reduced.

If Edsyn don't have such a product, have they considered one, as I believe we need a product between the soldapullt and the Hakko 808, something intermediate.

Edit: Something like this: http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=6841
where does the power pumped into this tip go when it's not melting solder? it goes into the plastic, which in a soldapullt is high quality ptfe, abs, and other materials, all of which will eventually melt. the cheap chinese variant is not made to last. a soldapullt willl last forever because it was designed properly. the fluorination protects the plastic and sealing bits from hot air and molten bits of solder, all of which should be < 300C. a soldering iron with a soldapullt around it would quickly reach 450C without huge amounts of insulation that cost far more than the soldapullt itself.

put another way, your cheap chinese clone was built to low tolerances to cause itself to melt after a fairly small number of cycles. before it melts, it will warp, because every single time you use it, all the plastic bits are hitting glass transition. thankfully, they probably didn't use real ptfe anywhere in your clone, because that would, in addition, outgas aerosolized formaldehyde, which is ridiculously toxic. there are other cheap plastics that will outgas formaldehyde, and additives to abs that will also outgas toxic fumes when heated to those temperatures.

the edsyn equivalent to what you're talking about is a properly engineered and built desoldering station like the zd500. the edsyn stations are pretty cool, actually. there are a lot of small touches that make them very very nice. solder recovery _in_ the holder, for example, and all have fully sheathed ceramic heaters. it's a small tradeoff of efficiency for safety. they're really hobbled right now by older electronics and a very blocky design. they're very function over form compared to the hakko industrial design (well, except for the 808. that thing just looks unavoidably like a huge vacuum pump on the end of a nozzle.

ANYWAY, the bottom line is that the soldapullt pushes the limits of what you can do with plastic at that price point. high vacuum means high precision molding, a high enough spring constant that it's possible to pump by hand but not so weak that you don't get high enough air velocity, etc. the only weakness that the soldapullt has is that it uses what i believe is a pretty volatile grease. however, i know the reasoning for this. the feeling at edsyn engineering is that they can get their rubber o-rings at a very low price, the grease is just viscous enough to seal but not too viscous to cause drag, and just inert enough to last for a damned long time. it's "good enough" vs balls out geekhacking. that said, let it not be said that they don't spend money where it needs to be spent. the tips are high temp resistance teflon, AND replaceable with tolerances that are tight enough that they do not leak but are still removable. the reason why they can do this is because they mold everything in house to higher tolerances than any molding shop overseas that i know of, and they QC everything before it goes out. _everything_. the cl1481s we are discussing as learn to solder irons are individually temperature calibrated before they leave the factory, and still manage to hit a lower price point than anything hakko or weller can deliver.

wow, total digression. i would like to point out two things though. the first thing is that the krytoxapullt is bigger, and metal and could theoretically carry a heater on it, but it also took me something like an hour to break the plunger on it, and that was AFTER putting a whole bunch of effort into getting the plunger to actually produce any form of vacuum. there were so many leaks in that thing it was seriously insane. the plunger i replaced it with is something like a 1" diameter x 1/2" straight up BLOCK of ptfe, machined for two fluorinated o-rings. only after doing that, and sealing the entire unit with rtv silicone that cost like 3x the krytoxapullt itself (the ptfe plunger and o-rings cost about as much as the icing dispenser did, so i got away cheap on that part of it) was i able to actually produce enough vacuum to suck in nlgi 2 grease.

sooo basically what i'm saying is that edsyn could not maintain their level of quality and produce a soldapullt with a heater core. to properly engineer such a thing is a major undertaking, and they already produce a range of extremely nice inexpensive irons as well as a range of extremely nice expensive solder/desolder stations for production level quality, all of which can easily be paired with their line of soldapullts. there's really no reason for them to produce a poorly engineered soldapullt variant with a heater in it that will slowly melt itself into pieces and produce toxic fumes in the process.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 02:18:28 »
I can see what you mean.

The Chinese clone has a metallic body, there are very few plastic parts, and only the tip is heated, anywho, I guess it would still not be possible for them to make something as high quality as what they already have, because if they could, they would have come out with a product like that.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:13:46 »
the piping they use is almost certainly cheap aluminum. thermal expansion? the piston probably leaks like crazy in the best of cases, and how do you clean it out? it's probably an ingenious little tool considering the budget of the manufacturer, but it's not built to the kinds of longevity and tolerance requirements as edsyn products. also, good heating elements cost _a lot_, more than your entire unit probably cost. i mean, just think about all the little parts that went into your tool and think about how much it would cost to make them to high tolerances, to meet UL safety requirements, etc. and you can quickly see that the cost of such a unit would be so high that there would be no place for it in the edsyn lineup.

hand pistons make a lot of sense at the 30-40$ level, above that, you might as well engineer things properly and either pull down shop air (the vac-driven soldapullt line for ~ 100$) or include a vac pump (zd500 for ~ 4-500$)

with heaters that can hit 450C, you don't screw around if you're doing things properly.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:34:39 »
Hmm, I see what you mean kawa. The Chinese clone cost $4. And yes the body does heat up.

To clean it, you can remove the plunger, and remove the gunk from inside. What I do after every 500 pins or so is open it up remove the gunk and then grease it to have a smoother plunger action and to get a better seal. I also melt some flux with the tip and suck it, this cleans up all the gunk still stuck inside the tube and it spits it out next time I press the plunger! :D

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:55:20 »
man, we need to get you a real pullt

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 14:04:38 »
man, we need to get you a real pullt

Hahaha.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 09:23:45 »
MIX AND APPLY KIT:

2x NALGENE 125ml LEAKPROOF BOTTLES (keep two different ratio mixes at once!)
33x PTFE BEARINGS (size and number subject to change as i tune the kit, but current 33 5/16" diameter bearings)
5x 5cc luer lock syringes
10x luer lock caps (these things always get lost. ALWAYS)
1x 25ga polypropylene FLEXIBLE luer lock needle
1x 18ga polypropylene FLEXIBLE luer lock needle (i found that the metal needles were always bending, so i just bought flexible ones for you guys)
1x 14ga steel luer lock needle (big fat needle for loading syringes)
3x 1.5" needle scabbards

all needles are 1.5" long

PRICE: TBA

note that mix and apply kit does not come with krytox. this is on purpose. you buy ONE mix and apply kit and as many krytox lube kits as you need krytox.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #121 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 10:20:35 »
I am hating myself for having a cherry mx blue fetish, which hate lube.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 01:13:34 »
just got notice that we have to wait until tuesday for the kester packs. not a huge deal, but hopefully people with orders in don't mind.

here's a preview of the packaging upgrades i've been working on:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 06:45:35 »
^^ nice credit card :P

Offline Rayne

• For Science!
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 01:58:48 »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 20:28:54 »
oh please, it's a prepaid rebate card from my cm storm spawn (which is now my main mouse btw. completely replaced the my g9xs. woah! did not expect that).

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 22:44:13 »
GEECKERS ANNOUNCEMENTS

KESTER PACKS IN STOCK (kind of)

The dispensers have cosmetic and some not-so-cosmetic issues. As a result, I am shipping TWO dispensers with every kester pack. one dispenser is labeled (with heart stickers OF COURSE) and contains 1oz of Kester 44 63/37 RA solder 0.02" with DOM of 4/13. The other contains 0.03x" solder of unknown origin that very likely dates back a couple decades. Consider it good for practicing with ;). Basically, it turns out that these dispensers are old enough that the ABS is becoming brittle. In the unlikely case that both your dispensers break in any way, I will send you another, on my cost if you are domestic and split shipping on next order if not. Price remains at 8$.

GEECKERS FLASH SALE!

i have 3 beta lube kits that escaped from somewhere in the back of my storeroom. They are complete, but lack any of the packaging niceties i've added since I started vending. However, they contain exactly the same amount of Krytox as current shipping kits. Price for these three units is 12$/ea! (a 4$ savings over the new nicer kits yayyy!)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 07:18:19 »
kawa, the PTFE tape around the top of the vial you sent in my rebuild kits really did the trick. No leakage outside the vial whatsoever. :thumb:
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 09 October 2013, 11:49:50 »
oh, about those! i have to write up instructions on how to rebuild. remind me plzz

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 17:48:45 »
folks,

it seems prudent to mention the following: CRAP, i only have one more DS017LSGH left! looks like MOZ will be cutting a whole bunch of black vinyl for you guys to decorate the DS017GHs :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 13 October 2013, 17:53:54 »
Orange vinyl for the black ones? :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 01:33:08 »
I'm not cutting the vinyl, the  plotter will, so no worries with the numbers.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 06:07:35 »
as of earlier this evening i am out of DS017LSGHs. most purchasing black units seem to be doing so for the color, and not the ESD protection, so i will be focusing on adding some black and orange to the blue units. i have a design nearly ready, but this week is crazy week, so it's probably wisest to just order a DS017 or DS017GH if you need one and have some vinyl fun shipped at a later date.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 00:04:24 »
MIX AND APPLY KIT:

2x NALGENE 125ml LEAKPROOF BOTTLES (keep two different ratio mixes at once!)
33x PTFE BEARINGS (size and number subject to change as i tune the kit, but current 33 5/16" diameter bearings)
5x 5cc luer lock syringes
10x luer lock caps (these things always get lost. ALWAYS)
1x 25ga polypropylene FLEXIBLE luer lock needle
1x 18ga polypropylene FLEXIBLE luer lock needle (i found that the metal needles were always bending, so i just bought flexible ones for you guys)
1x 14ga steel luer lock needle (big fat needle for loading syringes)
3x 1.5" needle scabbards

all needles are 1.5" long

PRICE: TBA

note that mix and apply kit does not come with krytox. this is on purpose. you buy ONE mix and apply kit and as many krytox lube kits as you need krytox.

I got one of these!! Check it out:

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 01:37:55 »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 14:24:47 »
Got me a soldapullt, lube kit, mix and apply kit and 2 QFR covers (but I still need to get me a QFR). Plus lol at the sticker. Thanks Ming!!

P.S. How in the hell did it get here so fast??? also the vacuum on the lube bag seems to have dissipated during transit, not sure how...
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 October 2013, 14:28:09 by goobus »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 14:36:17 »
Need some more quotes!

"'I ordered another ErgoDox, but all I got was this bottle of lube' - tp4tissue"
(made it up...  but I bet he would say that  :)) )

But this one is typical

"'Should have bought an ErgoDox'"
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 October 2013, 14:38:29 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 14:42:44 »
Hello mkawa,

Was wondering when you'd get more of the DS017LSGHs in stock? thanks =D
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 14:52:38 »
Almost didn't see this one:
39490-0

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 15:00:45 »
(Attachment Link)

FLOCKING.

My work here is done.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 16 October 2013, 15:36:04 »
(Attachment Link)

FLOCKING.

My work here is done.

Well then, get the flock out of here!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:23:39 »
If absolutely necessary (ie, enough demand), I can restock a few more ds017lsghs, but I'd like to make a dent in my stock of DS017GHs first. HOWEVER, now that people have left, I have time to design the orange and black vinyl that will decorate the GH version properly ;)

There are two concrete differences between the LS and the non-ls. The first one that everyone has latched onto is that the LS is black plastic. The second is that the black plastic is slightly conductive, which makes it ESD-safer. We don't typically work with highly ESD sensitive components and the feedback I've gotten has been that what they care about is the color. Hence, I'm setting on some designs for vinyl and I will most likely stock black and gray patterned carbon-fiber vinyl for the bottom-most layer of DS017GH decoration and then an orange vinyl geekhack on top of it. my goal is to look at LEAST as badass as the ds017lsgh for 10 dollars less ;)

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 22:13:38 »
If absolutely necessary (ie, enough demand), I can restock a few more ds017lsghs, but I'd like to make a dent in my stock of DS017GHs first. HOWEVER, now that people have left, I have time to design the orange and black vinyl that will decorate the GH version properly ;)

There are two concrete differences between the LS and the non-ls. The first one that everyone has latched onto is that the LS is black plastic. The second is that the black plastic is slightly conductive, which makes it ESD-safer. We don't typically work with highly ESD sensitive components and the feedback I've gotten has been that what they care about is the color. Hence, I'm setting on some designs for vinyl and I will most likely stock black and gray patterned carbon-fiber vinyl for the bottom-most layer of DS017GH decoration and then an orange vinyl geekhack on top of it. my goal is to look at LEAST as badass as the ds017lsgh for 10 dollars less ;)

mkawa do you have a time frame in mind when you would have the carbon fiber vinyl ready  :p  :cool:
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 22:26:31 »
ideally, i'll be able to adapt one of the designs i have running around this weekend, get the order finalized with moz next week, and have vinyl in hand within 2wks after that.

that is very ideal though, and assumes that there aren't tons of fires i have raging in my life that need to be put out asap, which i do unfortunately. if you're in dire need of a pullt, and really really want black plastic vs. vinyl on blue, go ahead and PM me and i'll get one out to you. lead time will be about 3 days. prices are as published.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #144 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 23:46:07 »
change of plans folks. geeckers is closed for the next three weeks. i will be completely unable to fill orders and will not be able to respond to inquiries until mid-november. to the two who have agreed to beta the cl1481 kits, i will be getting those out to you, but otherwise i am closed for business. sorry folks for the lack of notice and those who were looking at merch in the next few weeks. thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 10:49:51 »
Was just about to order some lube too! Hope all is well mate, get the real life stuff sorted and we'll all still be here when you return :)
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 01:59:20 »
it looks like i'll have enough time to process a few orders. if you need something simple, and you're in north america, go ahead and shoot me a PM. in the past, i typically was processing orders same-day, but i might have a couple days of lag between order and shipment now. i also won't have time to get into the usual long conversations; i enjoy them, but just don't have the time now. anyway, if you know what you need, and have taken a look at what i have on hand, go ahead and shoot me a PM. if i don't get back to you within a few days, just shoot me another.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 12:44:07 »
note that i can't do international shipping right now except to canada. it's just too time consuming. however, i am working behind the scenes to change how the geekhackers store operates so that everyone can get the goods they want in the most convenient way possible while still contributing to the geekhack trust fund. please stay tuned!

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 18:17:29 »
Got everything in the mail today. It all looks awesome. Will probably take pictures and post it in the mail thread later. Just a note: the iron is a little wobbly in the stand, I'm thinking due to the fact that it's a little heavy, but it's not too much of a problem and it's not really an inconvenience.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #149 on: Sat, 09 November 2013, 13:15:31 »
hey folks, quick update:

the only thing i will be vending right now is USB adapters, soldapullts (ds017GH) and soldapullt rebuilt kits (DS017GH REBUILD and DS017LSGH REBUILD, for blue and black tips, respectively). thanks for your patience everyone. there will be an update on lubricant availability next week