Author Topic: keycaps gallery and database  (Read 19304 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
keycaps gallery and database
« on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 02:52:01 »
The site is now live at

http://keypuller.com

still in alpha stage, need help beta testing and filing the keycaps!

-------

It's a long time I wanted to set up a gallery of all keycap sets that have being manufactured in the last few years, I took a couple of days and I finally coded the application that is ready to kick off.

The idea is to have a sort of repository where you can post the pictures you've taken to the keycaps on your keyboard. It doesn't need to be a "good" picture, it's just for reference, but the best shots would be featured and presented on the top.

This could be a great reference/database where you can see/search all keycaps ever produced and also evaluate how they would look on your keyboard (if someone posted a photo).

What do you think? As I said the software is ready but I need some material to start. If you like the idea we could use this post to start collecting the initial material and then I'll set up a submission form directly on the website.

I want to keep the database simple and gallery-centered. This is the main structure of the database so far:

- keycaps name/title (could be also novelty key, it's not limited to full sets)
- release date (date of manufacturing)
- summary (brief description)
- vendor/organizer (the name of who organized the GB or the vendor in case it wan't a GB)
- material (ABS, PBT, POM, PC, ...)
- profile (DCS, SA, DSA, OEM, ...)
- main color (red, green, brown, blue, ...)
- color codes (GEW, WA, RGH, ...)
- tags/additional features (glow in the dark, retro, transformers, vim, ...)
- quantity produced (of the base set if known)
- kits (pictures of the manufactured kits, ONLY the kits that have been actually produced!)
- gallery

Each picture in the gallery has the following meta (all are optional):
- author (who took the photo)
- keyboard (if there's a keyboard in the picture, what model is that)
- notes (if the author wants to add comment)

All photos will be credited, but no watermark on pictures would be allowed.

The same tool could be also used for "keycaps news" so you could stay up-to-date with all the upcoming GBs... but this is something for later.

If you have ideas and suggestion please let me know.

PS: I know there's a thread about all keycaps on the forum, the idea of course is to do something more organized.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 July 2014, 12:01:53 by Matt3o »

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: keycaps gallery and database
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 03:39:22 »
Don't we already have a thread with this? I can't remember what its called, run by CPT and Krogner has contributed a boat load to it as well. You can use that information for your database?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 04:03:06 »
the problem is mainly that I need users' pictures (actually permission to use those pictures)

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 05:01:17 »
That would be pretty awesome to have all if not most key/keysets and pictures of them it would be good, I don't have many keysets or keys but I have a few I could get somewhat okayish pictures of mine I would always be happy to let my pictures be used :)
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 05:06:16 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 05:23:49 »
like I said. I am aware there are posts on the forum where you can send your pictures and all you get is a wall of unsorted random sets.

The purpose is to categorize them so you can for example search all sets that have been produces in color code RBA... or all sets in DSA... or whatever.

But if there's not interest, oh well, who cares!

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 05:25:53 »
Sounds like a great idea, I'll have to take some pictures when I get some new caps

Something like this?

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=49524.0

From what I understand it will be better than that since it will be a database and not just a list

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 06:38:51 »
like I said. I am aware there are posts on the forum where you can send your pictures and all you get is a wall of unsorted random sets.

The purpose is to categorize them so you can for example search all sets that have been produces in color code RBA... or all sets in DSA... or whatever.

But if there's not interest, oh well, who cares!

There's only so much that bbcode can achieve!

Is that archive of mine really just a wall of unsorted random sets? There are anchor links and such so that you can jump to the scheme/colorway of your choice, so, I don't think it's that bad, actually. A database, though, would be a huge improvement.

Go for it!  :thumb:
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 06:47:52 »
+1
Your work is awesome!
I would love to see more pictures of it.
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 07:01:38 »
It's a long time I wanted to set up a gallery of all keycap sets that have being manufactured in the last few years, I took a couple of days and I finally coded the application that is ready to kick off.

The idea is to have a sort of repository where you can post the pictures you've taken to the keycaps on your keyboard. It doesn't need to be a "good" picture, it's just for reference, but the best shots would be featured and presented on the top.

This could be a great reference/database where you can see/search all keycaps ever produced and also evaluate how they would look on your keyboard (if someone posted a photo).

What do you think? As I said the software is ready but I need some material to start. If you like the idea we could use this post to start collecting the initial material and then I'll set up a submission form directly on the website.

I want to keep the database simple and gallery-centered. This is the main structure of the database so far:

- keycaps name/title (could be also novelty key, it's not limited to full sets)
- release date (date of manufacturing)
- summary (brief description)
- vendor/organizer (the name of who organized the GB or the vendor in case it wan't a GB)
- material (ABS, PBT, POM, PC, ...)
- profile (DCS, SA, DSA, OEM, ...)
- main color (red, green, brown, blue, ...)
- color codes (GEW, WA, RGH, ...)
- tags/additional features (glow in the dark, retro, transformers, vim, ...)
- quantity produced (of the base set if known)
- kits (pictures of the manufactured kits, ONLY the kits that have been actually produced!)
- gallery

Each picture in the gallery has the following meta (all are optional):
- author (who took the photo)
- keyboard (if there's a keyboard in the picture, what model is that)
- notes (if the author wants to add comment)

All photos will be credited, but no watermark on pictures would be allowed.

That's very ambitious -- and it would probably warrant it's own website. Frankly, that'd be fantastic.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 07:11:33 »
Krogenar, I didn't mean to diminish the great work that have been done in the forum, simply there are things that a forum can't do because it's just not the right platform.

What I really miss at this stage is permission to use people's images. Anyway I'll push something so you can have a look at what I'd like to do.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 07:15:17 »
I would definitely be interested in a more organised system than forum posts can achieve.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 08:04:14 by Frenir »

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 07:48:37 »
Krogenar, I didn't mean to diminish the great work that have been done in the forum, simply there are things that a forum can't do because it's just not the right platform.

A database would be a vast improvement; please do it. My desire was to make it possible to see everything that has been done and even what has been proposed, or was in production. The photos that are in the Color Scheme thread credit the photo owners, and for the vast majority of them, permission has been granted -- thanks to BluBar's insistence! I don't have any legal documentation to back that up -- just a "hey, mind if we use your image?" sort of thing. Which I imagine is sufficient. So please don't hesitate to use any of that information in your database.

My only suggestions would be:

1. A way to submit corrections easily.
2. Include proposed color schemes.
3. A "hit list" of needed images -- example: we only have a so-so image of the Miami set, so put it on the hit list.

I include proposed color schemes only because it seems to me that sometimes people pick up other people's creative torches, and that's a wonderful thing. Maybe we cannot produce a particular color scheme today, but maybe tomorrow things will change.

In that vein, good luck with the database -- please, please make it a reality. If there's anything I can do to help, let me know.  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 07:52:55 by Krogenar »
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 07:53:15 »
I'd rather have a database vs the bbcode thread we have now. I have a few sets I can take pictures of but it's not as exhaustive as the thread. I'm not sure how we go about getting permission other than PMing everyone.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 08:24:11 »
The photos that are in the Color Scheme thread credit the photo owners, and for the vast majority of them, permission has been granted -- thanks to BluBar's insistence! I don't have any legal documentation to back that up -- just a "hey, mind if we use your image?" sort of thing. Which I imagine is sufficient. So please don't hesitate to use any of that information in your database.

Okay, that should work.

1. A way to submit corrections easily.
2. Include proposed color schemes.
3. A "hit list" of needed images -- example: we only have a so-so image of the Miami set, so put it on the hit list.

the hit-list is a nice idea. It could be used also if a set misses some data (eg: quantity produced, release date, ...)

I include proposed color schemes only because it seems to me that sometimes people pick up other people's creative torches, and that's a wonderful thing. Maybe we cannot produce a particular color scheme today, but maybe tomorrow things will change.

I'm not sure I got this. You mean sets that are just in an IC phase or that have been proposed but never produced?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 08:25:46 »
Sometimes there are ideas in IC or just in a GB thread that don't get made. Best example is the "Yolch" Colorway from the Calm Depths GB. Perhaps later they will get made and it's nice to keep them around.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 08:39:18 »
yeah we could add an "oblivion" section to store archived/on-hold/forgotten keysets and ideas

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 08:45:01 »
I'm not sure I got this. You mean sets that are just in an IC phase or that have been proposed but never produced?

Both, because if someone is looking through this database to see if their idea has been tried -- it would be nice to know their work is derivative, or has been done (or attempted already). There would have to be some logical cutoff point -- you couldn't include every lame colorway that's ever been proposed *cough*HouseTully*cough* but maybe if there was enough support for a proposed colorway it could be included.

And there are also colorways that were never produced as a groupbuy, but are still recognized as a known colorway -- like Triumph-Adler or "Yolch". Or that green nuclear keyboard scheme that samwisekoi wants to reproduce. Will the database encompass strictly ICs and GBs?
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 08:53:38 »
got it. yes it's a great idea!

And there are also colorways that were never produced as a groupbuy, but are still recognized as a known colorway -- like Triumph-Adler or "Yolch". Or that green nuclear keyboard scheme that samwisekoi wants to reproduce. Will the database encompass strictly ICs and GBs?

Initially I wanted to set up something quick with wordpress or something but I ended up doing it from scratch. The good news is that I'm using a schemaless database which basically grants complete freedom in data structure. So, we have no constrains on the info we can store for each entry.

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 07 June 2014, 19:21:23 »
got it. yes it's a great idea!

Initially I wanted to set up something quick with wordpress or something but I ended up doing it from scratch. The good news is that I'm using a schemaless database which basically grants complete freedom in data structure. So, we have no constrains on the info we can store for each entry.
which database is that?
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 02:14:32 »
mongodb

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 10:20:19 »
mongodb
hmm, noSQL, awesome choice.
the current GH platform has support for it?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 12:01:42 »
no I believe that is just mysql

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 08 June 2014, 13:06:19 »
This sounds really interested. Let me know if you need help.
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 11:59:58 »
current status

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 12:01:35 »
This thread's swag level: 10/10.

Looking forward to seeing this database's progression Matt. Please let me know if I can help out in any way.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 12:04:41 »
thanks I will definitely need help filling the database!

Asking for permission to use the images especially.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 12:29:03 »
Looking real nice and clean! Look forward to the release of this DB!  :thumb:
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline acantha

• Aure Entuluva
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 12:30:27 »
thats some hot ****. good stuff.
All the Happy Hacking Things

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 13:32:12 »
That looks great Matt!
More

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 19:21:46 »
thanks I will definitely need help filling the database!

Asking for permission to use the images especially.

In advance, in case there are any pictures of mine that might be useful (ha!) you are welcome to use them :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline divito

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 09 June 2014, 22:11:13 »
I think where ownership is confirmed, credit can be applied or permission seeked. Otherwise, usage until it's reported might have to suffice.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 11:22:16 »
Yis

Ma intirist

Into this

thread is

max levelis
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 11:30:58 »
I'm just uber busy these days, but I'm working on it!

if you have ideas and suggestions, please don't hesitate!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 11:36:07 »
I'm still working on this. It should be ready in a couple of days. I already registered the best domain for it and I'm working on the design.

This is what I can share for now

I will release it in beta stage and refine while running. Hope you'll like it...

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:09:37 »
I

LOVE

IT!!!!

Offline divito

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 15:20:07 »
Very tongue-in-cheek name; like it a lot. While I'm not as experienced around here, I'd be sure to help as it works through its beta stages.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 12:30:33 »
ooookay. I have something to show off. Before giving the link away please bear with me for a sec.

The site is in alpha stage, many options are missing but I'm longing to receive your feedback and suggestion so I'm making this available to the public anyway. I just added a bunch of sets, but I will add more in the weekend.

Despite the very simple design there's actually a lot of work behind it. It's mobile/tablet compatible right from the start and works only on recent browsers. The "related keycaps" algorithm is pretty smart and will become smarter as soon as we add more keycaps. I also have a CDN for the images to make the site super fast. The code is based on a super stripped down version of Wordpress.

A news section is ready but not active yet (another couple of days).

The most important thing that is missing is a way for the users to suggest new sets and add images to the galleries. I have to find the easiest and most secure way of doing that. It will be probably ready in a couple of days, in the meantime if you want to help we can work by email.

I also added a "need revision" field for each set, with a description of the missing data, so it will be pretty easy to find all the keycaps that need revisioning.

Of course there will be a search feature.

The keycaps currently are categorized in: full sets, novelty keys, reference. The first two are pretty clear, the last one is a category where we can put all famous/historical color combos (eg: Dolch, Olivetti, etc...).

Hope you like this scaffolding.

More

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 12:45:04 »
ooookay. I have something to show off. Before giving the link away please bear with me for a sec.

The site is in alpha stage, many options are missing but I'm longing to receive your feedback and suggestion so I'm making this available to the public anyway. I just added a bunch of sets, but I will add more in the weekend.

Despite the very simple design there's actually a lot of work behind it. It's mobile/tablet compatible right from the start and works only on recent browsers. The "related keycaps" algorithm is pretty smart and will become smarter as soon as we add more keycaps. I also have a CDN for the images to make the site super fast. The code is based on a super stripped down version of Wordpress.

The most important thing that is missing is a way for the users to suggest new sets and add images to the galleries. I have to find the easiest and most secure way of doing that. It will be probably ready in a couple of days, in the meantime if you want to help we can work by email.

I also added a "need revision" field for each set, with a description of the missing data, so it will be pretty easy to find all the keycaps that need revisioning.

The keycaps currently are categorized in: full sets, novelty keys, reference. The first two are pretty clear, the last one is a category where we can put all famous/historical color combos (eg: Dolch, Olivetti, etc...).

More
Looks great. If you need any help, I can offer my mediocre programming skills or just help bug test new features.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 12:56:00 »
thanks! that reminds me that I could put the code on github.

regarding data entry I need pictures and descriptions mostly, the other fields are pretty easy to fill.

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 13:50:47 »
This looks great! Nice work.  :thumb:

Offline intelli78

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 14:00:25 »
Looks really lovely. Well done.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 14:03:53 »
Nice work matt30 -- as always.

I'd like to volunteer to put together a section for GEEK HACK key caps. Maybe a subset of Novelty keys? Up to you.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 14:04:31 »
Great job. One question though - Are you labeling "OEM" as Cherry profile? Or will that be changed later?  :)
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 14:20:56 »
Looks great Matt!

EDIT: Also, I like the 'Reference' category. It helps make a distinction between the actual keycaps and the sets that emulate them.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 July 2014, 14:26:00 by Krogenar »
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 14:55:30 »
Thanks guys. Tomorrow is data entry day :) I'll try to fill the DB a bit. I know it's not optimal but if anyone is willing to help you could send me pictures (or simply picture link) and data by email (my nick @ gmail) or via PM. Otherwise you can wait till I set up the submission form.

The fields are (*=required):

Title*
Description (not required but very important)
Poster image*
Category* (reference, full set, novelty key, we can have more if needed)
Profile (not required but the heck...)
Images
Color codes
Quantity produced
Date of manifacture
Tags
Color (this is the overall look and feel, not the list of all colors)
Material
Designed by (not shown yet but present in the db)
Switch type (not shown yet but present in the db)

Also very important the hunt for good (and bad :) ) pictures for already inserted keycaps, if you have any please let me know.

Nice work matt30 -- as always.

I'd like to volunteer to put together a section for GEEK HACK key caps. Maybe a subset of Novelty keys? Up to you.

that's a great idea.

I haven't thought about sub-categories, but they are actually possible.

The easiest would be to simply tag them as "geekhack". Tags are used in the "related keycaps" algorithm and an archive page is automatically created (and can be linked in the top menu for better visibility). Tag list on the sidebar will need to be filtered (by relevance) in the future otherwise we will end up with too many items.

The alternative as I said is to create sub-categories. It depends on how many we have. Maybe the best thing is to use tags for now and later decide if and what sub-categories we need.

Great job. One question though - Are you labeling "OEM" as Cherry profile? Or will that be changed later?  :)

yeah I was trying to sneak them as OEM, I knew someone would have punished me.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 00:14:54 »
+1 excellent!  Good job! :)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 02:03:14 »

More

Looking great man!  :thumb:

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 08:12:25 »
Thanks guys. Tomorrow is data entry day :) I'll try to fill the DB a bit. I know it's not optimal but if anyone is willing to help you could send me pictures (or simply picture link) and data by email (my nick @ gmail) or via PM. Otherwise you can wait till I set up the submission form.

I think it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that the data from the Color Scheme Archive Thread are free to use.
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 08:17:01 »

I think it goes without saying (but I'll say it anyway) that the data from the Color Scheme Archive Thread are free to use.

thanks, I wanted to add some sets but I ended up working on the submission form which is probably more important at the moment. Also, I had to do some updates to the database because wordpress mostly sucks.

I will be pushing more sets asap!

If you anyone has nice pictures in the meantime please post them here. I will upload them manually.