Author Topic: JD40 Giveaway (finished)  (Read 9293 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
JD40 Giveaway (finished)
« on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 13:39:25 »
I have a JD40 that I got in trade with JD for a 104 Filco.  I have not used it as much as I was expecting I would so I think it can probably find a better home, but it does not feel right to sell it.  I have seen a lot of people interested in the JD40 layout recently, so I want to give someone who is passionate about this layout the chance to own it.

CONGRATULATIONS MELVANG!!!

I will be giving away the following to one person as a package.
- A complete JD40 with lubed and stickered vintage blacks (comes with the stock case).
- A prototype custom silicon minimal case (pictures at the end).
- A set of Honeywell SA keycaps (when they arrive).

How to enter
- Show your passion for this layout in some way.  It could be a story.  What you would do with it.  Why you love it.  Anything...  I like creativity, so keep that in mind.  This is the most important piece of this entry, this will determine if you win it...
- To reduce the number of leechers, you have to offer something in return (include a picture).  It absolutely does not have to be of equal value.  It does not even have to be keyboard related.  This is simply a way to validate that everyone who enters actually cares about the JD40 and is not just trying to get a handout.  I don't want people to feel that they have to compete with what other people have offered, so just make sure you show your passion, thats the important part...

Here are some pics

ps - I hope the way I have structured this is not against any rules.  Mods, please reach out to me if you have concerns...
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 October 2014, 00:00:59 by swill »

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: JD40 Giveaway (kinda)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 13:54:27 »
Nice case and awesome giveaway swill! I will leave this contest to someone more deserving, as I am in the smallfry gb.

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 14:34:57 »
This is very kind of you! I already bought the case from https://ctrlalt.io so I hope someone who really want this awesome board will get it :)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 15:04:42 »
Awesome giveaway man!!  :thumb:

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 16:29:17 »
If only I could be passionate.   I think it needs one more function key for the other hand.    :p
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 19:57:49 »
I decided to log into geekhack after 2 years just to try and buy one of these but they are a bit out of my budget atm.
I Think this keyboard is perfect for PC gamers that play PC games on the go with a gaming laptop like myself. It's also a perfect companion for this mobile all in one gaming PC project Im working on.

There would probably be room in the PC for a spot for this keyboard.

I don't really have much to offer that would probably be on interest to you  :(
I will try to think of something and update this post when I do
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 September 2014, 20:04:43 by Lethal Squirrel »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 20:02:38 »
I decided to log into geekhack after 2 years just to try and buy one of these but they are a bit out of my budget atm.
I Think this keyboard is perfect for PC gamers that play PC games on the go with a gaming laptop like myself. It's also a perfect companion for this mobile all in one gaming PC project Im working on.

Show Image

That's a pretty cool project.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 21:16:24 »

Show Image

Show Image

I don't really have much to offer that would probably be on interest to you  :(
I will try to think of something and update this post when I do

OK, THAT'S COOL
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 21:25:05 »
Thank you : )

When it's done I'm going to give it a paint job to make it look like an old school portable computer. If I had this keyboard with dolch keycaps it would be perfect!

It doesn't look like it but its a very small computer case. That's a 15 inch laptop screen in it.
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 September 2014, 21:31:02 by Lethal Squirrel »

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 22:02:08 »
Swill, what are some of your interests so I can know what to offer in return.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 05:37:22 »
Swill, just a question, maybe others who see this post have a similar thought, that case in the OP, it is a SS case with the orange protective sheets still on, correct, or I'm thinking something else?

BTW, excellent giveaway from you, I already have a JD40 (Which I have to still build), but best of luck to everyone! :)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 10:01:05 »
Swill, just a question, maybe others who see this post have a similar thought, that case in the OP, it is a SS case with the orange protective sheets still on, correct, or I'm thinking something else?

BTW, excellent giveaway from you, I already have a JD40 (Which I have to still build), but best of luck to everyone! :)
So this will come with two cases.
1. The standard JD40 case with two plates and spacers.
2. The case in the picture. This is a creation of my own. This is the first prototype of an all silicon case. Basically the pcb and top plate fit tightly into the silicon cutout. There are a couple benefits of this case. It totally sticks to the table. There is a full silicon sheet touching the table, so it stays exactly where you put it. I like this a lot because the keyboard moved around a lot otherwise because it was so light. The second thing is that is softens the typing experience. the entire board is supported by silicone, so there is no jarring when typing.

I may actually rebuild this case before I ship it so it does not look so amateurish. It was my first attempt doing a solid silicone case, so I learned a lot in the process. I can make it look much nicer if I do it again.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 10:14:14 »
Swill, what are some of your interests so I can know what to offer in return.
Honestly I am pretty easy on this aspect. I am interested in anything keyboard or mouse related. I also play with electronics in general, so anything that is powered somehow is fun. I do wood carving as well, so anything with blades. I am a software developer by trade, but I am a builder in my heart. Anything I can use to make stuff or tinker is awesome.

I really just want people to have fun with this. What you offer does not need to be anything I need or am interested in. I like odd or random stuff too. :)

Offline JackMills

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 10:31:31 »
Colour me interested, I was on the verge of buying a JD40 from CtrlAlt, however after a little dispute about the finances with mrs mills, I decided not to buy one (or did she decide that for me  :rolleyes: ).

I am interested in the layout due to amount of space saving it does, at home I work at a really small desk. Each time that I am working, I am thinking that I don't even use that much keys of my keyboard. So I started to get interested in smaller keyboards, but still nothing seemed to have that edge to me.
Then I stumbled upon Geekhack and I discovered the Smallfry-project and the JD40. I really liked the concept, it seems compact, movable and still big enough to be functional. But alas, finances are troubling me at the moment (and also I don't think my wife understands my fascination for design and keyboards).

But that's not the end, I took the JD40-project and the Dvorak 42%-project by Joey Quinn as an encouragement to design my own keyboard. I love the simplicity of the JD40 in its design, but also in its purpose as a minimal keyboard.  If you would give me the JD40, I would try to learn as much as possible from it to make my design a good one as well. I am not a tinkerer by nature, but I like to know how stuff works, that's way I took on this project. I would consider it as a support of what I am trying to do. And in return I would send you the first prototype of my keyboard.
That way I have an incentive to continue with my design, because I would hate to break such a promise.

I can't give you a picture yet, but you can look at the first step of my project http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62800.0
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 September 2014, 11:31:55 by JackMills »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 12:29:38 »
Extremely sorry for my misinterpretation sir.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 18:57:59 »
Extremely sorry for my misinterpretation sir.
No worries. I did not explain that case anywhere, so thank you for asking. I needed to explain it somewhere. :). Thx.

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 21:01:02 »
Well I'm at a loss. I really don't think I have anything that you would be interested. The only keyboard I have right now is a bone stock keycool 87. I think The only thing I have for keycaps is a couple creeper caps, a set of poker clubs, spade, diamond, and heart keys. I also have a set of beige red alert mods. I have a nuforce udac2 DAC if you're into audio stuff. But that's really about all I have to offer. I honestly really really want this keyboard but I can't come up with anything creative or funny to say to prove it lol. I'm gonna keep it real and just say, I really want this thing lol!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 21:38:41 »
Well I'm at a loss. I really don't think I have anything that you would be interested. The only keyboard I have right now is a bone stock keycool 87. I think The only thing I have for keycaps is a couple creeper caps, a set of poker clubs, spade, diamond, and heart keys. I also have a set of beige red alert mods. I have a nuforce udac2 DAC if you're into audio stuff. But that's really about all I have to offer. I honestly really really want this keyboard but I can't come up with anything creative or funny to say to prove it lol. I'm gonna keep it real and just say, I really want this thing lol!

To make things a little easier if you are at a loss. :)

I can't order from amazon.com because they don't ship to Canada. There are some silicone sheets on there (solid or closed cell foam) that I am interested in testing with my minimal case. I am looking for stuff in the range of 20-40 durometer with a 3/32 thickness. I need dimensions of at least 12"x6" to work for a 75% board (or smaller). Adhesive backed or not.

I think that will help if people are totally lost on what to offer. :)

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 22:06:12 »
Well if I win I will be sure to order that stuff and forward it to you c:

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 13:23:17 »
I have a JD40 that I got in trade with JD for a 104 Filco.  I have not used it as much as I was expecting I would so I think it can probably find a better home, but it does not feel right to sell it.  I have seen a lot of people interested in the JD40 layout recently, so I want to give someone who is passionate about this layout the chance to own it.

Is your avatar a picture of you and your son? In any case, it gave me an idea - I would share the JD40 with my son, to give him the opportunity to share in the passion for keyboards that the rest of this community has. I figure, the earlier I can start him on this stuff, the better.  ;D

As for what to provide in return, I would be willing to throw in a few odds and ends related to the Filco keyboard I'm selling here. I would also make a donation in your name to Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE), an organization that is working to find a cure for food allergies. My son has severe allergies to dairy and soy, resulting in two visits to the ER in the last two years. There are promising experimental treatments, but they need further research.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 17:33:29 »

Is your avatar a picture of you and your son? In any case, it gave me an idea - I would share the JD40 with my son, to give him the opportunity to share in the passion for keyboards that the rest of this community has. I figure, the earlier I can start him on this stuff, the better.  ;D

As for what to provide in return, I would be willing to throw in a few odds and ends related to the Filco keyboard I'm selling here. I would also make a donation in your name to Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE), an organization that is working to find a cure for food allergies. My son has severe allergies to dairy and soy, resulting in two visits to the ER in the last two years. There are promising experimental treatments, but they need further research.
Yes, it is me and my son. He is still very little, but he can't help himself and always tries to whack the keyboard when I work with him on my lap. He is guaranteed to be a keyboard nut too. Going to need to get him a job early so he can afford it. :P

I love the idea of the donation, that is excellent. My wife has celiac, so I know a bit about being super careful with the diet. I hope your little one is managing alright with the allergies. That must be so hard when they are young. 

Offline JackMills

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 03:04:35 »

Yes, it is me and my son. He is still very little, but he can't help himself and always tries to whack the keyboard when I work with him on my lap. He is guaranteed to be a keyboard nut too. Going to need to get him a job early so he can afford it. :P

I love the idea of the donation, that is excellent. My wife has celiac, so I know a bit about being super careful with the diet. I hope your little one is managing alright with the allergies. That must be so hard when they are young. 

My son is two now and I gave him one of my old logitech keyboard and mouse to "work" with when I am sitting behind my computer. It doesn't bother him that he has no screen or that nothing is happening, just hitting the keys is fun enough.
I am also familiar with the allergies, my son had a severe allergy to lactose and wheat at birth, even my wife couldn't eat those because she was breastfeeding and he got those nutrients as well. It is very hard to find food, but he has no reaction to goat/sheep/horse milk and is ok with spelt (dinkel wheat), oat.
I said had a severe allergy, because with him getting older the reactions are diminishing. Apparently this is not uncommon, so we are lucky, as it is very hard to pay attention to what a toddler eats.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 11:18:13 »
Bump. I know you want a shot at this. :P

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 14:08:48 »
I cannot believe this hasn't attracted more attention. Why don't people want free stuff anymore? Especially as cool as this thing is...
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 15:40:54 »
I cannot believe this hasn't attracted more attention. Why don't people want free stuff anymore? Especially as cool as this thing is...

I don't understand it either, I would have thought this would have attracted geekhackers as moths to a flame. Now, I am, personally, very happy about this lack of attention. It increases my chances drastically, 1-to-3 odds sound a lot better then 1-to-50. However I don't know why such a nice offer, a JD40 with 2 cases, one of which is a one-of-a-kind custom case, and even the necessary keycaps, doesn't get the attention it deserves. Maybe the 40%-market is saturated already?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 15:54:10 »
wanted this. no chance now. don't have a cool startup project or a kid :p
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 20 September 2014, 16:31:22 »
wanted this. no chance now. don't have a cool startup project or a kid :p
If you think you are a deserving home for this baby, you pretty much just have to get that across. I do like creativity (long story behind that), but I also just want people to have some fun with this. :)

Offline tribade

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 21 September 2014, 14:56:39 »
Really cool giveaway!  I have lots of boards and a couple more on the way, so I'll leave it for someone more deserving.  I just wanted to say that it's really awesome of you to do this!
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 19:38:34 »
77941-0

I have always liked 60% boards but I think that even they are too big so I decided to make a custom Dvorak compatible 40% board because at the time the JD40 was not available to buy yet. It has always been a dream of mine to see it next to a JD40, I would have bought one if I had the money but sadly I don't. 

Thanks for the giveaway!

Edit: I forgot to say that I will offer PCB or plate design help if I'm chosen
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 September 2014, 14:22:19 by Joey Quinn »
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 20:46:21 »
Awesome giveaway swill.  I would like to enter myself.

I have never typed on anything smaller than full size aside from laptops and the occasional use of the wifes Filco TKL.  And I am very intrigued by the size and form factor along with never having tried SA caps.

For what I would like to offer.  I will offer 125 Enablers along with matching set of 2.0 and a 6.25 and a 7 sized space bar version.  Along with this, I would be willing to build plate files for a custom layout.  The one caveat is to please try and stick with Costar stabs.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 26 September 2014, 09:40:31 »
This is almost over. Get your entries in if you want a shot.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:43:00 »
Last chance...

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 17:31:21 »
What would I do with this keyboard? I would use it as my school board. I am currently a high school sophomore and I am in AP Computer Programming. We are currently using rubberdomes, and I don't have any money to buy a small keyboard that I can take to school. I currently use a MX blue at home, and I love the thing to death. I am slowly working on my typing speed, and today I actually broke 90 and got my PR of 93 WPM. If I win I will send you one of my Lambda Keycaps. It is my first doubleshot keycap, and even though it is ABS, I love the feel of it. I probably clicked it about 1000 times after I put it on. The thick clunk it makes is very satisfying, and I would love to share the joy of Lambda. Good luck to everyone else!

Offline remdell

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 00:49:23 »
I think what has me interested in the JD40 is just my discovery and take on mechanical keyboards in general.  My entry into the mechanical keyboard game was through discovery of keyboard ergonomics.  I was born with extremely severe eczema, most of which was concentrated on my hands and feet.  I'm healed for the most part today, but my hands were scarred and weak for the longest time.  Hand grippers were never really my thing.  My hobby of drawing was what really strengthened my right hand, but discovering mechanical keyboards strengthened my left.  I discovered mechanical keyboards from a friend in college who told me the keyboards might make me type better.  After finding about geekhack and purchasing my first mech, I discovered that keyboards with reduced layout and light keys existed (MX browns were really light to me at the time), which greatly helped with my hand fatigue.  I made a lot of typos on lighter keys, but knowing its existence made me refine my typing style.  After reaching steady WPM, I realized just how much keyboards has changed me.  I type essays and other schoolwork much faster, and the smaller mechanical keyboards has made it much easier for me to manage, draw, and work on designs and illustrations.  For example, being able to have my mouse/tablet closer to my keyboard definitely made it comfortable for me to initiate commands for hours.  I guess I just want to say that I really commend the layout of compact mechanical keyboards, like the Poker II, FC660C, and perhaps the JD40, for helping me get through majoring in industrial technology.  In return, I offer to commission an illustration for you.  The request doesn't necessarily have to be from you, but I think those who love and intend to give back to this community in some shape or form certainly should have a say in it.  I don't consider myself that great of an artist right now, but let's consider the commission a stepping-stone to something better I can make for you guys in the future.
Rukia PC | RF87U Digilog | Norbaforce MKII Palm Desert | Zenith ZKB-2R | Datadesk MAC-101

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 01:38:13 »
Whoa awesome offer swill! 

I would love this board to show my students the various kinds of boards there are out there :)  I teach the computer science class at my school and have been bringing in my personal boards for them to try.  I have fallen in love with this hobby and way of life, and have been charing as much as I can with my students during typing days.  We start actual coding this week and so far they have seen the CM QFTK, the realforce 87ub (55g), and the rubber Dell boards at school.  I have been letting them use my personal boards every once in a while, but I would like them to have more options to try out.  They haven't tried the HHKB yet since I don't actually have my hhkb in right now. 

I have not started an individual incentive program, which is a point system  for those who embody our class values (teamwork, honesty, creativity, fun, achievement), but I have been thinking of ways to make learning more fun in our classroom.  I would love to have classroom sets of boards for the students to be able to use when they show the school or class values above and beyond expectation, such as helping out a classmate, really trying to work hard, or creating a fun and creative environment, etc.  As many of you know, it is hard to get students to be engaged and interested in class, and having a good incentive program is part of this.  So far it is:

1. Listen to your own music during individual work time.
2. Choose songs for the class to listen to.
3. Homework pass.
4. Positive note home
5. Positive call home

You would be surprised how much the students love positive calls home and positive notes home.  There is also a class incentive where if they reach 200 points they get a party as a class, other points along the way are small treats, slides of embarrassing pictures of me or pictures of me at their age, etc. 

I would love to have another incentive (probably a new third one) to be able to use one of the boards that we have in the class.  Moose just donated a Model M to the class so I will be able to lend that one out to them.  Many of them have shown a huge interest in using this "clicky keyboards" and have been asking me a great deal of questions since I bring them in and am on GH during my breaks.  Having the JD40 would mean that they would have an awesome board that they could really fight over using, meaning that they are embodying our culture and values and, hopefully, eventually it becomes a part of them.  I want to be able to bring in a 60% board, 75% board, and my hhkb at some point.  So I will be buying cheap boards as I see them come by for my students to use! :) (RIP my poor teacher salary)  The goal is to have 5-6 boards for the class so that tables can compete against each other to use the boards each day.  Ideally: 40%, 60%, 75%, model M, full size, and maybe a second 75% or ergodox.  Some sort of combo with those! 

In return, I could have the students write a thank you letter, create a thank you video (they love making videos, ex: http://youtu.be/5CDZxLQkQz8), I also have pet supplies that I could send out from the family pet store, or maybe some gasmask caps.  Thank you for reading this super long post!
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 October 2014, 02:20:25 by slickmamba »
Hi :)

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 01:57:13 »
remdell and slickmamba, I think you guys are technically too late. the contest ended at midnight.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 01:59:22 »
remdell and slickmamba, I think you guys are technically too late. the contest ended at midnight.

ahhh... it was 11:30pm my time =/ oh well

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 02:07:57 »
Oh I didn't even think of time zones. I guess it depends what swill's timezone is.

Offline JackMills

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 02:17:52 »
Damn, feels like being sniped at an eBay bidding :D. You have your hopes up and then suddenly...

Remdell, I can't imagine how troublesome eczema must be, but I do understand your preference for smaller keyboards. I have rheuma in my hands. I still have a good grip, but for me it is tiresome to use a large layout as I cannot stretch my fingers very well. Keep up the drawing, I admire people who can convert their imagination or thoughts into something real.

Slickmamba, you sound like a very concerned teacher. My sister and my mother-in-law are both teachers, so I know how much effort teachers must put in to achieve something with their students. Seems like computer science has become more fun, in my days it was more like a typing course on computers (with basic Word and Excel stuff, instead of coding and basic architecture).
Great that you try so hard to get them enthusiastic, it is so much fun to learn if the teacher knows how to convey his gusto for his course.

At both, thanks for the nice stories, I just had a kind of breakdown at work  :) and you lifted up my spirits.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 13:37:46 »

I realize that I didn't actually specify that, I just said Oct 1st.  To be fair to everyone (and their timezones), I will update the original post and specify that entries end on Oct 1st at midnight EST.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 14:00:17 »

I realize that I didn't actually specify that, I just said Oct 1st.  To be fair to everyone (and their timezones), I will update the original post and specify that entries end on Oct 1st at midnight EST.

Oh phew so I made it in,  I understood it as Oct 1 at 11:59PM.  Thanks for the update :)

Damn, feels like being sniped at an eBay bidding :D. You have your hopes up and then suddenly...

Remdell, I can't imagine how troublesome eczema must be, but I do understand your preference for smaller keyboards. I have rheuma in my hands. I still have a good grip, but for me it is tiresome to use a large layout as I cannot stretch my fingers very well. Keep up the drawing, I admire people who can convert their imagination or thoughts into something real.

Slickmamba, you sound like a very concerned teacher. My sister and my mother-in-law are both teachers, so I know how much effort teachers must put in to achieve something with their students. Seems like computer science has become more fun, in my days it was more like a typing course on computers (with basic Word and Excel stuff, instead of coding and basic architecture).
Great that you try so hard to get them enthusiastic, it is so much fun to learn if the teacher knows how to convey his gusto for his course.

At both, thanks for the nice stories, I just had a kind of breakdown at work  :) and you lifted up my spirits.

Thank you for your support!  Being a new teacher is extremely tiresome and I am glad you have some experience in the field! :)  I believe that the best learning comes from enjoyment and engagement, so I try to make it as fun as possible for them. 

Also, GH has been nothing but awesome to me, you could honestly reach out to anyone and they will lend you an ear. 

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 17:05:48 »
dang it! I get my hopes up and everybody enters at the last second lol. xD

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 18:40:27 »

dang it! I get my hopes up and everybody enters at the last second lol. xD
That's the same way I felt, but hey, more competition and more love to be spread!

Offline HotKillerZzz

• Ammesia
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 01 October 2014, 20:12:05 »

I have got 2 topre gasmask keycaps that I can't use as I do not have a topre board.
Would really like to try out a programmable keyboard since all I had was a qfr.
I think I'm late but I would just post it to try my luck

Thanks.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 16:45:23 »
Do we have a result/winner?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 23:59:38 »
Sorry for the delay everyone, I have been buried with work recently.  I am just finishing up another 16 hour day and I have not had a day off in about 12 weeks.  Anyway, now to the fun stuff...

Congratulations Melvang, you just won a JD40 with a bunch of extras...  :)

I am a builder and I appreciate other builders, especially builders who enable other builders.  If there is anyone on here who works harder than me, its Melvang, all the while being a dedicated community member and giving back so much in his limited spare time.  I have nothing but respect for this man, his dedication and wonderful innovations.  I am looking forward to my next build with these very cool Enabler PCBs.  :)  Very excited...

I want to give a shout out to everyone who entered this giveaway.  What we lacked in numbers, we made up for in quality.  I wish I could have given away a few of these, but alas, there can only be one (this time).  Thank you all...

Offline JackMills

Re: JD40 Giveaway (finished)
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 01:11:10 »

Sorry for the delay everyone, I have been buried with work recently.  I am just finishing up another 16 hour day and I have not had a day off in about 12 weeks.  Anyway, now to the fun stuff...

Congratulations Melvang, you just won a JD40 with a bunch of extras...  :)

I am a builder and I appreciate other builders, especially builders who enable other builders.  If there is anyone on here who works harder than me, its Melvang, all the while being a dedicated community member and giving back so much in his limited spare time.  I have nothing but respect for this man, his dedication and wonderful innovations.  I am looking forward to my next build with these very cool Enabler PCBs.  :)  Very excited...

I want to give a shout out to everyone who entered this giveaway.  What we lacked in numbers, we made up for in quality.  I wish I could have given away a few of these, but alas, there can only be one (this time).  Thank you all...

Congratulations Melvang... I had a look at this Enabler PCB and I understand why Swill is looking forward to try it out. Enjoy the JD40...

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 06:58:52 »
Congrats, Mel!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 07:05:19 »

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 11:12:45 »
Awesome giveaway swill.  I would like to enter myself.

I have never typed on anything smaller than full size aside from laptops and the occasional use of the wifes Filco TKL.  And I am very intrigued by the size and form factor along with never having tried SA caps.

For what I would like to offer.  I will offer 125 Enablers along with matching set of 2.0 and a 6.25 and a 7 sized space bar version.  Along with this, I would be willing to build plate files for a custom layout.  The one caveat is to please try and stick with Costar stabs.
Congratz :D