Author Topic: Further development of an open platform  (Read 1439 times)

Offline Techpriest

Further development of an open platform
« on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 16:26:07 »
Hey guys,
I've been thinking for a while about designing an entire keyboard from scratch since I built my own using the phantom plate.  While the GH60 is a great design, I wondered what you all thought of the next step in creating a complete open platform was.  Are there open source case designs available?  Also, I believe that the programmers for the GH60 were not entirely free and open if I can remember correctly, although I may be wrong on that.

I think one of the most important pieces of the project would be having some commercial adoption so that parts for the ecosystem are constantly available to people, but it seems like this has not been the case with the GH60 keyboard and there are not too many places to find the PCB design files either which are both issues that will need to be solved for the continuation of the platform. 

Any thoughts?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Further development of an open platform
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 16:42:26 »
The GH60 final design won't be released until the group buy is finished.

And honestly at this point the GH60 is outdated.

Offline Techpriest

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 01:36:24 »
What features do you think it's lacking?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 02:39:37 »
A lot of PCBs are actually available upon searching the forum. When a vendor (Like Gon, LZ) design PCBs and sell them via GB/store-front, they are generally not available, and understandably so, as they vendor's motive is to sell them for a profit. However as I said, there are a number of open-source projects, like the GH60, Ergodox, JD40, GHPad. There are more in the works.

I have a number of free to use stacked cases, if anyone needs them, although they might need some modification.

Offline Techpriest

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 18 October 2014, 13:17:57 »
Any ideas on how the GH60 platform could be improved or iterated upon?

Offline JackMills

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 06:30:02 »
Any ideas on how the GH60 platform could be improved or iterated upon?
As the GH60 is a reference as an open-platform, I would like to say that the Inifinity keyboard also has the intention to be open source.   

What I think a board needs is bluetooth (connecting to my tablet or other devices without USB), LED (for working in the dark), option to mount either Alps or MX (because you can choose), being hot-swappable seems cool (search for the smart68, I like it because you could easily switch from clears to browns to blues to whatever covers your needs at that moment)...