Author Topic: Balamb: 12-key macro & compact numpad/arrow island keyboard  (Read 3303 times)

Offline pksk

Balamb: 12-key macro & compact numpad/arrow island keyboard
« on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 11:21:13 »
This is a home thread for my custom-build keyboard that I call Balamb.  This idea is all coming from the fact that I haven't been able to find a mech that suits my needs perfectly. I'm hoping for a smaller tenkey island on the right of a board with an arrow/home-end island below it. Current design:

Main points:
  • The main keys will be Cherry MX Blues and the smaller numpad/arrow island will hopefully be "clicky" Matias ALPS switches.
  • Black keycaps with light blue & yellow LEDs
  • 12 Macro keys because I like macros and buttons
  • The top number row will be symbols without modifiers, numbers on shift (if possible) and F keys on Fn
  • Floating key design
  • Final Fantasy VIII
Current phase:
  • Initial design
Let me know of any comments, critiques or ideas you have.

Thanks!

ORIGINAL POST
More
Hypothetically, is it possible to add programmable macro keys to custom built mech? Would it also be possible with a teensy and open source driver? If so, is there a basic software for programming them?

Secondly, regarding key size, I have an idea for an unusual layout in which the arrow keys and extras like media keys are compacted to take up less room. Are there any alternative switches & keycaps that could achieve this in a hand-wired board of mainly cherry MX switches?

Thanks for your time!
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 October 2014, 00:37:21 by pksk »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re: Macro, media & nonstandard keys
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 20 October 2014, 12:02:12 »
Yes, it is very much possible to add macros. Many firmwares written by members of this forum, have the macro functionality, and all are compatible with the Teensy, eg TMK, Soarer's, Easy AVR.

Offline pksk

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 01:33:20 »
Awesome, thanks so much for your answer, MOZ. I'll dig deeper into those firmwares and take a look.

Can anybody give any input on the nonstandard keys? I'm thinking of something similar (though not identical) to this:

I understand it may not be possible with Cherry switches.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 October 2014, 01:38:02 by pksk »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 02:19:43 »
AFAIK, Cherry switches can't be significantly closer together than 1u (19mm centre to centre). The physical switch is about 15mm, and some space is needed for the sides of the keycap.

Apparently Matias switches can get down to 0.75u if you cram them close.

In either case, it'll be difficult to find compatible caps. I seem to remember seeing a Matias board based around using 0.75u keys somewhere, let me see if I can find it.

E: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60268

Apparently Matias switches can be crammed into a 0.75u by 1u space. That's probably as tight as you're going to get any discrete mechanical switch.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 October 2014, 02:22:01 by user 18 »
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 02:48:33 »
Cherry ML can be packed closer than that, but you’ll need to make your own keycaps or cut some down.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 03:22:02 »
Good catch on the ML switches! They still can't fit into the 0.5u height it looks like pksk is looking for, but they do seem to pack tighter than the Matias switches, at least.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 10:52:53 »
Good catch on the ML switches! They still can't fit into the 0.5u height it looks like pksk is looking for, but they do seem to pack tighter than the Matias switches, at least.

those pintsize alps switches and mitsumi miniature mechanical can also be packed close. As always keycaps are the issue.

Offline pksk

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 11:02:13 »
Thanks user 18, jacoblus & dorkvader!

Those Matias ALPS arrow keys look like a great size. Actually it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for! I really have some cogs turning in my head now for something awesome... This is all coming from the fact that I haven't been able to find a mech that suits my needs perfectly and I have a cool image in my head of what my board could look like. Imagine a smaller tenkey island on the right of a board with an arrow/home-end island below it. Not sure if it would fit, but gotta go throw some designs down!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 11:31:32 »
Finding alps keys in smaller size should be somewhat possible, but I think most would be function row. However it looks like Matias might be able to provide some arrow keys.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 11:54:28 »
Thanks user 18, jacoblus & dorkvader!

Those Matias ALPS arrow keys look like a great size. Actually it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for! I really have some cogs turning in my head now for something awesome... This is all coming from the fact that I haven't been able to find a mech that suits my needs perfectly and I have a cool image in my head of what my board could look like. Imagine a smaller tenkey island on the right of a board with an arrow/home-end island below it. Not sure if it would fit, but gotta go throw some designs down!

Oh man, I can't wait! Sounds like a really neat idea for sure.

As MOZ said, other than matias, you can probably get pintsize ALPS keycaps from old laptops and things like that, but you will probably have to fix the legends on them.

Offline pksk

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 12:03:13 »
I wonder if Matias would make custom keycaps in that size? Or... anybody for that matter ;)

just realised this will be more expensive than I thought :E

EDIT: I guess Signature Plastics could do it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 October 2014, 12:16:26 by pksk »

Offline pksk

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 22:28:17 »
The general idea here is to save horizontal space and it looks pretty sweet thus far:

I wanted to omit some keys which I never use from the keyboard:

Windows key
Menu key
Caps lock (replaced by the all-powerful Ctrl. The "normal" two Ctrl keys may be omitted too.)
Right Alt
Right Shift

Will removing any of the above cause problems? Not so much in ergonomics/usability but actual computer functions?

I'm also considering having the number symbols be placed on the front line of Function keys, with FN to access the functions.

Also, I'm trying to see if I can remove the top number row in favor of the tenkey, but then I don't know where to put `,- and =...

What do you think so far? Any input/suggestions are welcome!

EDIT: Those uneven islands are bothering me...
EDIT2: I should mention that this design is intensly WIP ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 October 2014, 23:30:27 by pksk »

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 01:49:39 »
I don’t want to use that, but build it and try it out and report back! :)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 11:37:56 »
starting to look more like a wheelwriter keyboard all the time!

Offline pksk

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 October 2014, 20:01:43 »
@jacobolus heh heh, I like buttons. Though I want to save space, macro keys & numpad are a must for me. Still trying to work out those last three keys...

@dorkvader Haha, it does look like that. HOWEVER it just gave me an idea, brb!

Offline pksk

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 October 2014, 02:20:57 »

This is real close to what I was imagining- REAL close. The only problem now is that I really don't want 15 macro keys. I do love symmetry or at least almost symmetry though... I was thinking of removing a row of macros and leaving space down there for something else like a logo or something (Or go crazy with an LCD  ;) ). I was also thinking of changing that top number row to be the symbols primarily and numbers on shift. Do you think that's a good idea?

EDIT: Ugh, the 0 key on the numpad is missing...  back to square one.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 October 2014, 11:22:08 by pksk »

Offline pksk

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 00:32:23 »
Here's what may be my final design. Let me know what you think:

(is multi-posting in my own thread okay?)

Offline jacobolus

Re: Balamb: 12-key macro & compact numpad/arrow island keyboard
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 01:41:43 »
Recommendation: group macro keys you need to reach for into some groups of 2x2 or so. It’ll be much easier to avoid mistakes that way.

For example, here’s a (more than a bit silly) mockup of an "ergonomic" keyboard layout with a ton of extra keys around the sides:

Offline pksk

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 02:03:58 »
@jacoblus

Thanks for the suggestion, it's a good point. Considering these:

Design 1:

Design 2:

Design 3:

Also even spacing for he macro island, software limitations not-permitting.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 02:17:06 »
I prefer #2 of the three.

I think 1 and 3 look odd with spaces inbetween each, but if those, my second favourite after #2 is #1.

Offline pksk

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 24 October 2014, 02:24:49 »
Yeah I'd rather keep it standardized too. I like 2 the most. I don't want to go too horizontal and 12 macros is a sweetspot, hence the 3x2 instead of 2x2 like jacoblus recommended.

Getting excited about this project :D