Author Topic: 3D Mouse as a trackball alternative?  (Read 4584 times)

Offline tinmarks

3D Mouse as a trackball alternative?
« on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 10:50:17 »
I wonder if there are any 3D mouse users here (such as 3Dconnexion's SpaceNavigator).
I'd like to know whether such a 3D mouse could be used as a pointing device and how it would stand to trackball in matter of ergonomics.
It kinda resembles a trackpoint (a huge one) but has more input forms - tilting, pushing, pulling, twisting, horizontal moving.

Offline indivisualist

Re: 3D Mouse as a trackball alternative?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 13:12:58 »
According to their forum, the SpaceNavigator can be used as a 2D mouse. For other products it should be more or less the same, somebody has whipped up a driver which translates some movement of the "mouse" to a 2D movement and off you go.

From an ergonimics standpoint I don't really see that much of an improvement in a 3D mouse as long as you use it for 2D movements. Sure, you might have a whopping six axes, but a mouse cursor uses just two of them ... so it's like a giant TrackPoint.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 December 2013, 18:29:32 »
According to their forum, the SpaceNavigator can be used as a 2D mouse. For other products it should be more or less the same, somebody has whipped up a driver which translates some movement of the "mouse" to a 2D movement and off you go.

From an ergonimics standpoint I don't really see that much of an improvement in a 3D mouse as long as you use it for 2D movements. Sure, you might have a whopping six axes, but a mouse cursor uses just two of them ... so it's like a giant TrackPoint.
Only if you do write your own code for it - the sdk is pretty raw and you will have to wait almost 1 month to be able to get the zip after you do register yourself in their site.

I would not recommend it as a 2d mouse - it's way sensible, you would get crazy ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 00:57:18 »
I agree with the previous posters. I would recommend to stick with a trackball. Using a SpaceNavigator as a mouse would probably feel like using an oversized IBM Trackpoint nub as indivisualist said.

I love my SpaceNavigator for moving 3D models around when designing stuff, but I always use it in conjunction with a "real" mouse. It's more of an extra accessory than a replacement.

In terms of ergonomics, I really like what suka has done on some of his ergo keyboards, put a Trackpoint nub between some of the keys by the index finger, so you can move the mouse pointer without taking your fingers off home position.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.