Author Topic: Custom Buckling Spring Membranes  (Read 66973 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: Custom Buckling Spring Membranes
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 09:42:31 »
hmm, that is a pain. i figured the only stuff floating out there _was_ the dupont stuff. 3 mil 1oz cu is exactly what we want. the dupont MOQ is like 1000 sheets though.

and yah, circuitwriter is worthless if you just follow the instructions.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline wcass

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 03 June 2013, 20:27:32 »
and yah, circuitwriter is worthless if you just follow the instructions.

the direction i got suggest to "cure" it by placing a 40watt bulb 6" away for 4 hours. did you to that?

the data sheet for polyester sheet suggest that if you apply heat, it will shrink - but it can then be reheated up to that temp without shrinking more. i tested a sheet of 3mil drafting poly by baking it in an oven at 350 F for 15 minutes. shrinkage was about 1.5% (.2" from 12") and caused ripples. i might try sandwiching it between glass sheets in the hot Florida sun. i also might try to find something that will erase the lines on an "original equipment" membrane and remake the connections.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 00:06:19 »
i can't remember exactly how i cured it, but i did cure it with heat for a day or so. it did not like the M FCB material (which is probably a polyvinyl) with whatever my curing strategy is. it's meant for rougher PCB surfaces, so i can see that.

it's possible that what it needs is more texture on the surface. maybe a primer and then a very dry high temp cure?

regardless, it's so freaking expensive that it won't scale just because of that. anything whose base material is silver is not going to work out.

speaking of texture, erasers made for erasing ink (available at any art store) will kill oem copper traces.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline wcass

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 15:26:04 »
the art-supply drafting sheet i have is matte textured on one side, so it might work better.
http://www.pearlpaint.com/buy-11-x-17--.003-Single-Matte-Mylar-Drafting-Film_6935_6934_840627.html

i will be picking up this tape for masking the lines.
http://www.maniacshobbycomplex.com/stripe-tape-black-1-16.html

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 23:10:08 »
if you're going to try this, try using a copper ink like emikote instead of a circuitwriter.. (in general the emi shielding solutions are much better pricewise than the silver ones for obvious reasons, but resistivity is somewhat uncool..)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 24 June 2013, 09:02:07 »
too many interesting projects to follow. I quit.

Offline wcass

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 21:44:24 »
i will be adding diodes to the bottom membrane this week. i am using MMBD4148PLM which have five diode elements in a 0.5mm thick, 1.5mm square package. 14 of these will go above the top row - outside of the key area so that they will not interfere with the top membrane or hammers. the picture is taken using the maximum resolution on my flatbed scanner.
26506-0 26508-1

it took me an hour to get the first two on and passing connectivity tests. the first thing to go wrong was that i put them both on the wrong way around. even with 40x magnification i could not detect which pin was pin one. putting it on wrong left one key dead, so i had to pull them both off and put them back on again. only 12 more to go for this keyboard.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 22:00:59 »
How resistant are they to bending. Ideally, once installed it shouldn't flex much, but I imagine one could accidentally bend it during installation. Does any of the soldering joints get loose in such a scenario?

Great progress. One step closer to a custom BS board.

Offline wcass

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 25 June 2013, 22:40:45 »
How resistant are they to bending. Ideally, once installed it shouldn't flex much, but I imagine one could accidentally bend it during installation. Does any of the soldering joints get loose in such a scenario?
the footprint is so small that they should be unaffected by casual bending. the back plate has a curve, about 10.5" radius. if any of the diodes loose connectivity during this, i will report it. if all works well with my DIY tests and there is interest, i would like to get a group buy going to get PCB/membrane sets professionally made.

I think there are several other guys working on custom buckling spring projects - if any of you are interested in help or would like to collaborate, let me know and i will send you what help i can. I could use some help on this project with sheet metal work (cut, bend, break) and woodwork (CNC).

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 00:08:06 »
Yeah, true, such a small footprint will not be affected much by flexing. I was more wondering about teensy or similar controllers. Did you solder a ribbon cable to another PCB, solder individual wires from the membrane to the controller or solder the controller straight to the membrane?
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 June 2013, 08:13:34 by damorgue »

Offline wcass

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 08:00:58 »
the controller is a Teensy++ and it attaches to the matrix using right angle FFC connectors (IBM model M uses vertical FFC connectors) - see pictures in posts 92, 70, and 35. also coming off the Teensy is a ground wire and 3 pin header for caps and num lock LEDs.

Offline dfj

• Visit our irc: #geekhack on libera.chat!
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 14:10:23 »
I tried my hand at doing a custom M membrane a couple of years back:
  The M has the advantage that parts are readily available, both on the used market, and also from Unicomp to some degree.
  I ended up getting waylaid by the F, so ultimately I hope to approach the M->nkro/custom layouts problem very differently next year via an F-conversion of some sort... here's hoping. :)

So - my biggest fear is that the the silver printed pads and copper base will electrocorrode, or the base will work harden, or stretch and bump up, etc.. under the small, but unending impacts of the M hammers.
  Two things I found that helped a bit, is like on the F, you want some sort of level base for the hammer feet to rest on to the upper right and left of each contact. My samples here don't have that, but you can see the spots I mean as they leave two dents on either side beside each hammer dent on the rubber mat above.
  Another thing is that you want a fill - a subsequent attempt I was intending to combine the fill with the pads above. The fill serves to reduce the load on the acid when etching and make it easier to get a sharp clean cut with less undercutting, pinholes etc...
  Doing multiple small etches also helps when at home.
My intent was obviously to do a diode array on the controller, rather than try to mix it in with the matrix, adds cost in connectors, but avoids many questions of wear over time.
  If I were to do it again, my intent had been to slice up a couple of normal M membranes and pull out the matrix entirely, avoiding any rework of the M switch which is an old, well tested, long-living mechanism.
  These days - I have explored more about ordering thin pcb, and it is much cheaper than custom membrane for small orders. I'd have them finished in thick nickel to more closely match the electro-corrosive constants for the silver ink. Stuff you might want to explore when you next want to do a full redesign - clearly this path you are exploring is bearing too much fruit to not follow to its end. :)
  Also - silver plated copper particle inks are an alternative to pure silver inks, and somewhat more economical.

Great progress, though - and so pretty!
dfj

26594-026596-1
26598-226600-3
Fave Switch manus: IBM, Topre, Matias, ...

Offline wcass

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 18:58:56 »
funny, i went to this method because i couldn't figure out how to do a capacitive controller. i did read your work on the subject, but it was beyond me. the only programming i know is the simple stuff like ASP and VBScript. that said, i have several XT's and parts should you need anything. i don't sell - i give.

Offline dfj

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 26 June 2013, 22:09:01 »
Awww shucks, too kind.
  Luckily, a fresh thread has popped with another approach (closer to the original patents, even) for the cap sensing, though the fellow is doing his testing on the Beam Springs first. Key is that his descriptions are much more lucid than my own babble. :)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=45097

I have a new rev of my controller coming out soon, which some folks here are helping to test. I'll be posting a preliminary schematic shortly - the exact choices of parts is not quite right, since it was based on what I had lying around - however it will get a couple of folks playing with prototypes, and will be easy to solder up as it's teensy based. The final parts will be very close to the same, just with slight improvements to cost, availability, ease of assembly, and performance (depending on the part, clearly).

dfj

PS - thanks but save all your parts for other crazy projects, I have collected more than my fair share over the years. :p
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 June 2013, 22:11:24 by dfj »

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 30 June 2013, 23:12:35 »
i submitted RFQ's to three membrane switch manufacturers requesting ...

I am trying to get replacement parts for a computer keyboard; very low volume. I do not need color, adhesive, embossing, domes, or connectors – I just need membranes with conductive print.

Material = polyester, DuPont 5021 or similar
Thickness = 0.075mm
Size = 300mm x 130mm
Print area = ~10%
Quantity = 5

i'll let you know if i get a bite.

On an unrelated note, i did a drawing of an idea i had for an M60 case. the basic idea was a milled upper and sides (aluminum or hardwood) and a sheet metal bottom. i was not planning on sharing it, but ...
(Attachment Link)
  • 5.74 inches is nothing to brag about.
  • ribbed for her pleasure.
  • as you can see, the testicles have not descended.

Every time I just go strolling through geekhack I am amazed at the variety of issues that people have spent time addressing. Just amazed. Very cool stuff here.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline wcass

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 21:41:41 »
OK, so i got all my diodes mounted and i put my keyboard together, and ... nothing worked. talking with Hasu, it looks like my diodes may be facing the wrong way. my diode arrays are common cathode and it looks like i need common anode.

so i went looking for common anode diode arrays and found nothing in the package size that i wanted. i was looking for a "standard" p-n type diode array, but does it have to be? can i use an "avalanche" or "TVS" type diode if the signal voltage is below the reverse bias voltage? if so, then i might be able to use DMF05LCFLP which has the same footprint as what i am using now.
29525-0

i think i need to post this question in a different forum.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 22:20:23 »
actually i can answer this one. avalanche and TVS diodes (which are a variant on avalanches with a shunt) are only different from standard doped semis and other typical diodes in failure mode (ie, their breakdown behavior at high reverse/bias voltages is faster/better than standard semis et al). so yah, you're good to go with TVS or avalanches. prices are probably a little bit higher though.

Offline wcass

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 22:38:29 »
actually i can answer this one. avalanche and TVS diodes (which are a variant on avalanches with a shunt) are only different from standard doped semis and other typical diodes in failure mode (ie, their breakdown behavior at high reverse/bias voltages is faster/better than standard semis et al). so yah, you're good to go with TVS or avalanches. prices are probably a little bit higher though.

.32 * 15 = $5.52
i think i can handle that. just hope they get here in time for me to have a working M60 for the KeyCon.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 22:53:26 »
hey did IJflex ever get back to you on low but non-one quantity pricing? how many can they give me for a hundred bucks, for example?

Offline wcass

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 23:12:48 »
sorry, but i didn't ask yet. nor did i update the SSK membrane rivet holes. i got sidetracked by work and medical issues (not me - mother, wife, and dog).

i'll try to put in my order this weekend so that it might arrive by Aug 15. best to see material and quality before making a commitment.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 00:49:07 »
meh, deal with it after keycon. i'll see if i can find the time to work up a hacked up membrane assembly in time for keycon (although come to think of it i don't even think i have time to make the sheet metal order, crap)

Offline wcass

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 20 August 2013, 12:19:31 »
two membranes just came in printed by inkjetflex. the quality and thickness feels very good (that's what she said). i need to cut them out and punch holes.

the cost for this was about $10 per sheet (plus flat $30 for set up and delivery) - expensive for just two, but reasonable at higher volumes.

they printed some extra stuff and i would like to share some free samples to an anyone interested - PM me with your postal address and any part of this graphic you would like me to send.
32524-0

Offline dfj

« Reply #122 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 16:51:54 »
wcass - so.... tell us how it went?

excited
dfj

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 20:30:59 »
also excited

Offline wcass

« Reply #124 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 22:26:25 »
well, there were two remaining issues; the PCB had the diodes the wrong way around and i still need to verify that the new membranes are a better material for actual membrane.

the i got two membranes from inkjetflex.com and they look like they will work very well - print quality is excellent and no real work to get them going (just cut outline and punch the rivet holes). the setup and delivery was expensive for just two membranes, but this is a real option if done in volume where cost per sheet approaches $10 ($12 each @ 14). 

i got new diodes that should work, but need to make another PCB. DIY PCB production at this size is difficult. i only have the materials to do this using the "toner transfer method". my transfer mediums so far have been unreliable in that it either shrinks to much, doesn't hold enough toner, holds the toner too well, or does not provide the fine detail required for the diodes. i ordered some special transfer paper from China early last month and it just got here yesterday. it did not come in a tube or photo mailer - it was rolled up WITH A RUBBER BAND AROUND IT, then bubble wrapped, so it has some significant creases in it. i am going to iron a sheet out this weekend to see if it gets rid of the wrinkles and performs as needed.

i have a few ideas that i would like to try for a simple but visually appealing case; polished aluminum front edge and back edge, aluminum sheet metal bottom, and wood sides. the front and back would be these:
http://www.brunnerent.com/Tools/Portfolio/frontend/item.asp?type=11&size=0&lngDisplay=0&jPageNumber=6&strMetaTag=
http://www.brunnerent.com/Tools/Portfolio/frontend/item.asp?type=16&size=0&lngDisplay=0&jPageNumber=1&strMetaTag=

i have no real woodworking skills, so i thought that i would have the sides 3D printed for the prototype. i have 2D drawings and a SketchUp model of the sides, but i don't have the software to make a proper file for printing. i will try out Autodesk 123D if time allows.

Thanks
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 September 2013, 22:28:21 by wcass »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 01:10:50 »
i ordered some special transfer paper from China early last month and it just got here yesterday. it did not come in a tube or photo mailer - it was rolled up WITH A RUBBER BAND AROUND IT, then bubble wrapped, so it has some significant creases in it. i am going to iron a sheet out this weekend to see if it gets rid of the wrinkles and performs as needed.
TIC man

i have no real woodworking skills, so i thought that i would have the sides 3D printed for the prototype. i have 2D drawings and a SketchUp model of the sides, but i don't have the software to make a proper file for printing. i will try out Autodesk 123D if time allows.
try blender if you're sticking to free software. i don't like how sketchup handles intersections. they become a proper mess. is the arc radius the same as the full sized M/SSK? i'll send you a copy of our prototype arc side holder things when i get the printer back up

heck, we can scale the case we have for the ssk down to your size without a heck of a lot of modification. the fcb work is the biggest pita.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 20:13:13 »
wcass, you're so handsome. I'M SO EXCITED FOR THIS PROJECT.

* CPTBadAss drools until he passes out from dehydration

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #127 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 20:17:37 »
I'm very interested to see how this goes :)
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 18:40:56 »
MY GOD!

Offline wcass

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 20:01:42 »
well, i went through 8 sheets of transfer paper from two different printers and was not able to get one transfer that i was satisfied with. i have come to the conclusion that i need to invest in the photoresist method.

i just ordered this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151034351056

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 20:15:09 »
Could you elaborate some more on the photoresist method wcass?

Offline wcass

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 22:06:54 »
PCB manufacture is a subtractive process (in most cases). You start with a board covered with copper and then remove copper where it is not supposed to be. This is most often done by applying an "etch resistant" to the areas where you want copper pads and traces and then submerge the board in a solution that dissolves the exposed copper.

The cheap/easy/beginner method of applying an etch resist is the "toner transfer" method. For this, you print a mirror of your design on a laser printer then transfer the toner from the paper to a blank copper clad board using a regular cloths iron or laminator. Laser printer toner is actually plastic which makes a nice resist, but it doesn't stick everywhere it is supposed to; specifically fills of any size at all. It is also limited in what it can do with fine detail.

The "photoresist" method first coats the copper clad board with a chemical that changes it's properties when it is exposed to light and "developed". You print your design on a transparency (negative or positive depending on the properties of the chemical used). The board is then sandwiched with the transparency between sheets of glass, and exposed to light. Light shines on the photoresist where the transparency is clear but can not where it is printed. When the exposure is correct you remove the board from light and dump it into the developer. The developer will either harden the area exposed to light (for "negative" type photoresist) or dissolve the area exposed to light (for "positive" type photoresist).

The pros use photoresist.

DIY PCBs are only cost effective for prototypes or very small runs. To order a PCB of this size from a PCB manufacturer in China would cost about $100 to do one, or about $150 for 15 (about $10 each). Each of my DIY PCB's are costing me about 2 hours and $15 in materials.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 September 2013, 22:29:58 by wcass »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 22:47:08 »
ladyada/adafruit has a fantastic write-up on photoresist etching by the way:

http://www.ladyada.net/library/pcb/inhouseetch.html

if you haven't seen it.

Offline YakMN

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 18:11:03 »
wcass, is your plan to keep making your prototypes "by hand" until you get it working the way you want it, and then do an order from a manufacturer in China? A GB, if you will.

Offline wcass

« Reply #134 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 19:18:15 »
wcass, is your plan to keep making your prototypes "by hand" until you get it working the way you want it, and then do an order from a manufacturer in China? A GB, if you will.

that is the short term goal. the long term goal is to convince Unicomp that it might be worth it if they built these. if/when we do a group buy, i'ld like to factor in one to send to the guys there in Lexington.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 19:34:08 »
Deliver it to me and I'll personally drive down to Lexington to convince them to make it.

Also, thanks for the info on photoresist wcass and mkawa!

Offline YakMN

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 23:10:10 »
ah, that IS ambitious. I thought we were all going to be going around destroying IBM typewriters to get at their hammers and barrels, and spending our lives cutting them apart and lining them up over the new membrane(s). Much better if an actual manufacturer does it of course. (not quite as much fun perhaps).

Wouldn't we also have to make a new controller for them? I mean, if you use the old controller with the new layout, it's not going to know about Fns, etc. They won't be able to sell a small keyboard without fn layers.

Anyway, if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know. (err, NON-technical help :)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 23:30:37 »
unicomp is unable to do short-run membranes

Offline wcass

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 22:59:38 »
Wouldn't we also have to make a new controller for them? I mean, if you use the old controller with the new layout, it's not going to know about Fns, etc. They won't be able to sell a small keyboard without fn layers.
The new controller is a Teensy++ with a couple of connectors soldered to it. Total cost is $30. See a picture in post #92 of this thread. A manufactured version might have the AT90USB1286 chip on the "bottom membrane" allowing reduced part count, size, and cost.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:04:08 »

What would the minimum order quantity be?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 17:51:33 »
Excellent thread, very informative.
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline tinco

« Reply #141 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 11:04:42 »
Hi, I've recently took the keyboard from an IBM 6715 typewriter, to mod it into a keyboard. The key layout itself is nice and small (60%) but the barrel plate and membranes stick out a lot all around it, so I'm looking to either cut and patch with copper tape like hasu did here http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=29483.0 or make a new ones from scratch.

This discussion got me wondering.. what if I just make the layout out of thin copper wire, and flatten it with a hammer? It seems rather crude, but it's surely a lot cheaper than printing on clear sheets for $10 per sheet, and doesn't require much skill in creating the right pdfs and such.

Is there anything that would prevent this from working out well? It's just a silly idea I had :)

Offline wcass

« Reply #142 on: Sun, 15 September 2013, 18:56:04 »
i tried using copper tape without much luck. i think there was too much wrinkle. in my experience, the membrane needs to be perfectly flat. i would think that DIY flattened wire would be less flat than copper tape. but if you have the time to try it out, please do so and let us know if it worked for you.

Offline tinco

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 07:50:25 »
Alright, I'll see what my options are when I pull it apart. To be sure, the only reason it needs to be very flat is because else it won't fit between the plastic and the backplate right? Was the problem you had with copper tape that it didn't fit back together or that it wouldn't register keypresses?

Thanks for the info! :)

Offline wcass

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 19:20:11 »
Alright, I'll see what my options are when I pull it apart. To be sure, the only reason it needs to be very flat is because else it won't fit between the plastic and the backplate right? Was the problem you had with copper tape that it didn't fit back together or that it wouldn't register keypresses?
ghost keys. when i pressed a key, neighbor keys would register.

Offline wcass

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 16:57:39 »
i finally got all of the stuff i needed to do the "photoresist" PCB method and the results are fantastic.

dry film photoresist - $15 eBay
amber LED spot "safe" light - $6 ebay
sodium carbonate - $7 grocery store
Duralar polyester drafting film - $4 art supply store

So about $33 for enough supplies to do a bunch of different designs. I'm thinking about my XTant project and doing a bottom that will fit the SSK revival.

I'm off to solder on some diodes.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 17:00:06 »
I love watching a master at work!  :cool:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 17:12:50 »

What would the minimum order quantity be?
iirc it was between 500 and 1000

Offline wcass

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 23:35:04 »
SUCCESS!

Despite doing a truly awful job at soldering on the diodes, > 50% of the keys are working exactly as they were designed to do. The keys that don't work are the top and bottom rows (Esc, numbers; Ctrl, Alt, GUI, Space, left, down, right), and two columns (Y, H, B; close bracket, Enter, right Shift).

I tested for NKRO using AquaKey. Every combination of WASDQZ that i tried yielded correct result.

So now i disassemble and try to resolve the issues with the dead columns and rows. I'm sure my poor job with the diodes is the problem with the columns, but not sure about the rows.

Offline bcg

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 02:08:07 »
SUCCESS!

Despite doing a truly awful job at soldering on the diodes, > 50% of the keys are working exactly as they were designed to do. The keys that don't work are the top and bottom rows (Esc, numbers; Ctrl, Alt, GUI, Space, left, down, right), and two columns (Y, H, B; close bracket, Enter, right Shift).

I tested for NKRO using AquaKey. Every combination of WASDQZ that i tried yielded correct result.

So now i disassemble and try to resolve the issues with the dead columns and rows. I'm sure my poor job with the diodes is the problem with the columns, but not sure about the rows.

Wow!  Just read this entire thread, nice work!

Can you recap what materials and production methods you're using now, there were so many iterations that I got a little lost :)
:wq!