Author Topic: Your favorite sounding switch?  (Read 3895 times)

Offline Warduke

Your favorite sounding switch?
« on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 17:50:42 »
I love watching/listening to videos of people typing on their keyboards and looking at the views they get, I'm not the only one who enjoys it. After looking if a thread like this already existed here. I couldn't find one so I made this one.

What's your favorite switch purely for the way it sounds? And when I say the sound, I mean the sound of typing on the keyboard, not just the sound of the switch itself. The same switch may not sound the same on different keyboards because of many factors. Plate/PCB mount, ABS/PBT keycaps, with/without O rings, quality of the board itself, etc...

So what's your favorite? Buckling Spring? Cherry MX Blue? Alps? Topre (even though it's not even a clicky switch, that tock sounds great)? Other?

For me, I have to go with the Blues. I just love how they sound.
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
Re: Your favorite sounding switch?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 17:54:28 »
Blue Alps on a Monterey K101 keyboard have a great sound, as does the IBM Model M. I don't have a favourite, but Alps are always good, as is Topre.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline dadgh

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 18:09:21 »
Thick PBT on lubed MX Reds with o-rings and stickers.

I like quiet.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 18:48:02 »
Those in my avatar sound amazing.

Offline tehsprayer

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 18:51:11 »
I really like the thock of topres.

REΛLFORCE 87U - uniform 55g

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 18:58:29 »
The sound of my model M reverberating out of my office down the hallways and over the cubicles as I type furiously in response to inane emails at work all day long is music to my ears....
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline vsdubstep

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 August 2013, 19:02:25 »
Gotta second the topre thock

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 03:22:27 »
I like Unicomp BS sound (less reverb from the plate, nice metallic and soothing clicks) and plate mounted Cherry MX Blue with PBT caps (it's sparkling). I also like the sound of bottoming out Realforce and linear switches with ABS caps.
I don't like the sound of HHKB at all. I also don't like scratchy sounds of linear Cherries. I don't like reverb of the plate on Model M and Model F.
The worst though is the sound of the Topre when you slowly press it and you balance out on the tactile point, kinda squeeky and rubbery sound. You can't hear it in normal operation but when you intentionally try that, you get this awful cheap rubber dome feeling :D Nasty!
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 03:59:53 »
I like the sound of Matias clicky switches.

Online Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 04:38:15 »
It has been a long time since I heard the thick of BS (4th grade) so I can't put that as number one but for me currently it would be ergo-clears with thin PBT caps.  The feel is like nothing else as well.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 04:38:39 »
The kachunk of the spacebar and the return thock of the left shift on buckling spring boards. But maybe that's just me...
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline pr1me

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 04:43:06 »
tried mx blue and red, i prefer blue.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 05:16:09 »
It will sound weird (pun not intended), but quiet "thock" of the new typematrix w/ a skin. The cover somehow dampens all noise produced by the keycap

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 05:56:46 »
I'm actually quite liking the sound of this Model M - this is more like what I expected a mechanical keyboard would sound like before I found out a bit more about them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 06:10:54 »
Model F and Topre

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 06:13:19 »
I like the "thock thock" of topre... but I enjoy on daily base the sound of my flossmodded SSK :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 06:20:58 »
I thought my HHKB would thock more than it does - there isn't much of a thock at all.  Although that could be down to room acoustics and/or desk surface material.  I am moving house soon, and the destination room will probably have different acoustics (polished floorboards instead of carpet, for one thing).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 06:22:02 »
Can't beat the trusty old thud of the rubber dome!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 06:24:34 »
I thought my HHKB would thock more than it does - there isn't much of a thock at all.  Although that could be down to room acoustics and/or desk surface material.  I am moving house soon, and the destination room will probably have different acoustics (polished floorboards instead of carpet, for one thing).

i thought something was wrong with mine.  when i first got it there was so much glorious thock but after a few days i noticed that that it wasn't really there.  i recorded myself typing and its there for sure.  i think you get used to the noise and your brain cancels it out if you're not actively listening to it.

for me my favorites are topre and clicky mx with thick pbt caps
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 07:12:18 »
My up arrow on my ducky shine 2 with clears makes a thock sound....

Offline urbanus

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 07:22:59 »
Capacitive buckling spring: model F style.

"Cha-PING!  Cha-PING!"

After a furious typing session, a co-worker said I sounded like I had tipped a bucket of Lego down a flight of stairs!  :)

Online Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 07:32:23 »

After a furious typing session, a co-worker said I sounded like I had tipped a bucket of Lego down a flight of stairs!  :)

Love this line.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jameslr

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 08:02:02 »
Blue Alps sound the best to me. MX blue sound good, and I'm really liking my Topre 55g switches. I've heard videos of other switch types, but never tried them in person, but they all sound too dull in comparison.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 08:14:02 »
I really don't give a damn about sound. In fact, I would prefer a silent keyboard.

All I care about is feel.

A stock Model M sounds better than a stock Model F because the (3) metal plates in an F create such resonance. However, a floss-modded F is just about perfect - the annoying frequencies of the resonance are attenuated and the rest remain at a manageable level. Floss-modding an M cuts some of the sound but is not as satisfying and also changes the feel to a greater degree.

I find the sound of blue Cherries to be the most annoying of all, but the others are not so bad.

The sound of Alps is better than the sound of Cherries, but I like Alps better in general, especially the tactile ones.

Much of this has to do with the board and the case, a good solid board and case always makes for a better experience than an flimsy one.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Neo.X

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 09:25:33 »
I like the sound HHKB2.  :)
All those keyboards will be lost in time....

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 09:46:55 »
Typing on a HHKB Type-S is like listening to those relaxation CDs of rain hitting a window pane.  In other words, it sounds awesome.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 August 2013, 09:48:33 by AKIMbO »
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 09:49:33 »
I'm to cheap to buy a HHKB Type-S :)

Offline ___q

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 09:53:42 »
Blue complicated alps (not montereys). I think old complicated whites sound the same / are identical aside from plastic color, but I have never used them.

They sound like what a "clicky keyboard" is supposed to sound like.

(I also really like the sound of silenced topre, they sound so solid).

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 15:53:25 »
Right now, it is Topre. I have never listened to silenced Topre.
I am not a fan of any sound that is not caused on actuation or bottoming out, and I prefer those sounds to be subdued.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 August 2013, 15:54:57 by Findecanor »
🍉

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:07:50 »
The best sound is of the table echoing on the mic.  :cool:
SmallFry! <3

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:09:54 »

Offline knotra

• I ­­­♥ ⌂ ♫
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:39:41 »
In general, I would have to say Cherry MX Blues have my favorite sound but there are some boards with Cherry MX Browns that I have really liked. Some Cherry Mx Brown switch boards have a really unsatisfying sound though.
Keyboards: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Das Model S Ultimate Tactile Soft, Das Model S Professional Tactile Click, Corsair Vengeance K90, Steelseries 6gv2 Black Switch, Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Soft Linear Action, Ducky DK9087 Shine II w/ Browns, Ducky DK9008 Shine II w/ Blues, WASD Keyboard v1 w/ Browns, Leopold FC200R Tacticle Touch, White Filco Majestouch-2 TKL Click Action, Ducky DK9008G2 PRO Dark Grey Version PBT w/ Clears, Realforce 87U Tenkeyless 45g White/Grey

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:41:04 »
It has been a long time since I heard the thick of BS (4th grade) so I can't put that as number one but for me currently it would be ergo-clears with thin PBT caps.  The feel is like nothing else as well.

YES. fjskl;fj;dkljfsk;lfsdlfsdkfsfkld <- me feeling the feel of it. so good.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:49:18 »

what is this? whats a HAD switch? lol. sounds really nice though.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 17:05:12 »

what is this? whats a HAD switch? lol. sounds really nice though.

the Cherry G80-2551HAD has vintage blacks (afaik). So I think he means that

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 17:05:47 »
yes, they're vintage blacks

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 17:10:32 »
I just bought a G80-2550HAD on german ebay :) (although I wanted to stop buying cherry stuff... ebay is evil)

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 17:15:35 »
I love the sound of the mx blue and brown but my favorite sound is the HHKB. Not all topres sound the same as the Leopold doesn't sound as loud as the HHKB. I have a video of me typing during a severe thunderstorm with my HHKB. It's over a half hour long. I keep meaning to upload it to Youtube but just haven't gotten around to it.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 17:17:54 »
I just bought a G80-2550HAD on german ebay :) (although I wanted to stop buying cherry stuff... ebay is evil)

Dope, that's a nice find.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 17:24:46 »
I once had some NIB G80-2551HAD. The feeling and the sound was awesome. Sadly I sold all of them, cause I had no use for these big boards at this point of time. Only kept one set of keycaps from them.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 17:41:50 »
ebay is evil

Ebay is evil, there is no doubt, but evil in only a small way.

However, half of everything else in the world is also evil, (naturally I believe that 50% of the behavior and products of the human race are good and 50% bad) and the upside of ebay is quite worth it.

How else could there be a global marketplace with a relatively level playing field?

I live near Atlanta, Georgia, USA, and I have advertised and sold a keyboard to a guy in Tasmania!

The mere fact that is even possible is would have been considered a miracle more than a decade ago, much less a generation ago.

And to communicate, sell, and deliver a moderately sizable [5 pound/2 kilogram] object to the other side of the world for approximately [100 2013 US dollars/4 ounces of silver] in approximately 2 weeks - unimaginable!

On the list of evils in the world, ebay/paypal is far, far down.

« Last Edit: Fri, 09 August 2013, 17:43:26 by fohat.digs »
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 20:25:44 »
Best sounding? IBM selectric typewriter that's been turned on. (they are pretty quiet when off)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 20:39:11 »
TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK CHIIIING CRUNCH
best sound ever
31067-0

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 00:46:07 »
I'm pretty fond of my imsto pbt on 62g gold clears (on LZ-S).
I love Elzy

Offline morpheus

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 09:14:49 »
1. Topre
2. Alps
3. Cherry Brown

Online Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 21:26:52 »
TIK TIK TIK TIK TIK CHIIIING CRUNCH
best sound ever
(Attachment Link)

/agree

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 21:28:24 »
Stock MX Clear :)
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 21:43:35 »
Case mounted 45g Topres (ala HHKB). Followed by 55g plate mounted Topres, followed by plate mounted Clears.

Online HendyZone

• HHKB Elite
  • * Vendor
    • MechanicalKeyboards.co.id
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 21:47:46 »
Buckling Spring  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 10 August 2013, 22:26:05 »

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker