Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1624507 times)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
Re: GH60 Group Buy (PRODUCTION FOR REAL)
« Reply #3850 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 20:22:53 »
Such an odd group buy where I am supposed to feel guilty if I am angry about not having my stuff.   :confused:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3851 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 20:27:19 »
Such an odd group buy where I am supposed to feel guilty if I am angry about not having my stuff.   :confused:

Agreed.  And it's not like there were any pitchforks, just people wanting a straight answer about where we are and when we can expect to get stuff.  That really shouldn't be hard to give out.

I understand that TJ offered to take it over and a mess was dropped in his lap, that this GB was started prematurely, and so on, but we still deserve some answers, especially when so much money has been put into it.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #3852 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 21:22:25 »
I love how if Bunny would have taken all the payment for this and had been weeks, months, years, behind, people would just say "Don't worry, you're doing a good job anyways" Especially for the GB's he had no part in originally, but "took over" and has taken him months to ship, why aren't people going complain in those threads..

I don't see why we treat members differently in this piece of **** "community" I can _almost_ understand the attacks on people who take money and run from the forum, but for someone who is so active in this community and is obviously trying his best (but not bunny best) to be harassed by so many of you dumb little retards. It's infuriating, I wish I could slap the entitlement out of your little heads through the internet. It's members like that why I don't participate or interact with anyone here anymore.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3853 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 21:48:55 »
I love how if Bunny would have taken all the payment for this and had been weeks, months, years, behind, people would just say "Don't worry, you're doing a good job anyways" Especially for the GB's he had no part in originally, but "took over" and has taken him months to ship, why aren't people going complain in those threads..

People did and do complain on the buys Bunny took over.  Did you even follow the Calm Depths thread?  Yeah, there were those praising Bunny, but there were also those telling him to hurry up and complaining and all other sorts of minutiae.  The difference is that he gave/gives updates.  Even updates you don't want to hear are updates.

And if he was 6 months to a year behind on any GB, I'd start complaining, especially if he went silent and there were no real updates in the thread.  It doesn't matter who ran the GB, if it was handled like this one, there would be complaints, and justified complaints at that.

Aside from the inanity of reverting to ad hominems against those who have valid concerns and questions they'd like answered, you can't, at this point, say TJ is "so active in this community".  He has been in the past, but he is noticeably quiet in most of the forum.  I get that he is a busy guy and respect that.  I also understand that he took on a large responsibility, probably too large of one, but that doesn't absolve him of not providing updates. 

Additionally, most people aren't attacking TJ (though you seem to think so), they just want to know what's happening.  It's the lack of respect for our money and investment that is irksome.  If you categorize that as "harassment" then so be it, but it's just people who have invested money into a project wanting to know that there will be returns on their investment.  Asking for updates and a timeline on the project is no more harassment then stockholders asking a business for a quarterly report.

You're entitled to your opinion though.  On the other hand, so are we.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3854 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 22:54:56 »
we were told this would ship in September, that's the last eta we were EVER GIVEN for when we would have a package on our doorsteps, its not been just a few months late and we are just impatient *****es you make us out to be kmiller, I''m sure your just loving to throw insults at me.

My anger comes from i paid $300 a year ago and we haven't got an ETA since invoices. We ARE giving TJ and JD preferential treatment because they ran successful group buys in the past; otherwise i would be yelling SCAM SCAM at the top of my ****ing lungs at this point and have real ****ing pitchforks. This is the most CONFUSING group buy i have ever been a part of because of the fact these guys have done respectable business in the past, some of which i participated in. So whenever i spit obvious hate, its really ****ed up because 7 months ago i would have never expected to be angry at JD, TJ, Komar, and WFD, these guys are ****ing power players here at geekhack, its seriously confusing that I've become pissed but I have every reason to be and no one can tell me I don't have the right to be angry; anybody who is trying to make me out to be the enemy seriously must hate me for other reasons.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3855 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 00:43:47 »
GBs some times take time due to logistics.

The difference with a bunny buy is that he is at least present when the buy is taking longer than expected.

The extended time without updates on this GB is what I think is getting to people.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #3856 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 01:16:34 »
it has been already pointed out, but I believe that the only problem here is that the GB started too soon.

well anyway, sooner or later I'll get my GH60, in the mean time I'll keep building my customs.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #3857 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 06:59:44 »
it has been already pointed out, but I believe that the only problem here is that the GB started too soon.

well anyway, sooner or later I'll get my GH60, in the mean time I'll keep building my customs.
Please!
more awesome keycaps man!
 :-*
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3858 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 08:09:28 »

Please!

I guess he was talking about his custom keyboards and not keycaps.

Check this thread out for example:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59827.0

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #3859 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 08:24:22 »
People did and do complain on the buys Bunny took over.  Did you even follow the Calm Depths thread?  Yeah, there were those praising Bunny, but there were also those telling him to hurry up and complaining and all other sorts of minutiae.  The difference is that he gave/gives updates.  Even updates you don't want to hear are updates.

And if he was 6 months to a year behind on any GB, I'd start complaining, especially if he went silent and there were no real updates in the thread.  It doesn't matter who ran the GB, if it was handled like this one, there would be complaints, and justified complaints at that.

Aside from the inanity of reverting to ad hominems against those who have valid concerns and questions they'd like answered, you can't, at this point, say TJ is "so active in this community".  He has been in the past, but he is noticeably quiet in most of the forum.  I get that he is a busy guy and respect that.  I also understand that he took on a large responsibility, probably too large of one, but that doesn't absolve him of not providing updates. 

Additionally, most people aren't attacking TJ (though you seem to think so), they just want to know what's happening.  It's the lack of respect for our money and investment that is irksome.  If you categorize that as "harassment" then so be it, but it's just people who have invested money into a project wanting to know that there will be returns on their investment.  Asking for updates and a timeline on the project is no more harassment then stockholders asking a business for a quarterly report.

You're entitled to your opinion though.  On the other hand, so are we.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #3860 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 11:33:20 »

Please!

I guess he was talking about his custom keyboards and not keycaps.

Check this thread out for example:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59827.0
Naaaaa
I'm always envy of his stuff - gosh!!!!
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline jabar

« Reply #3861 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 19:34:23 »
I am moving so my address will change. Who to PM?
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #3862 on: Fri, 11 July 2014, 21:54:42 »
i haven't really been keeping track of whatever other people may or may not be saying/doing, but i haven't attacked or harassed anyone. I haven't even PM'd anyone, especially not TJ. Why? Because "golden rule," and, because i figure if he logs in and sees a cascade of hate mail in his inbox, that's probably not going to help our situation, and that's not something i want to contribute.

JD has been here periodically, so i can't blame him for anything. Komar made the damn board, and has given sparse but periodic updates, so i can't blame him for anything either. ApocalypseMaow stepped up and saved the friggin' day w/ plates, so how could i be upset w/ him? He disappeared for a little while, but didn't STAY disappeared, and completed what he volunteered to do, with very little nudging required, and with his own funds, no less (apparently). Can't be mad at him either.

WFD disappeared, but i don't know that i can be upset about that, because "personal issues" can put people in a place where they just can't stand the thought of having to deal with any extra anything at all. I've been there myself, i understand that... but if *I* knew i had hundreds of people and several hundred items and many thousands of dollars *depending* on my actions, i have to say, it would take some extremely serious problems to stop me from at least popping in to say "hey guys, sorry, my life just got ****ed, and i just can't deal with any of this right now... maybe someone can take over for me?" I think i would do that, but i don't know i would, because it's not my situation.

TJ? I have no idea what to think, but he feels disappeared to me. We need less disappearing and more not being afraid or profoundly disinclined to communicate.

I don't "hate" anyone yet, but come on... it's not like he has to face a supreme court over allegations of child endangerment or anything. It's some keyboards. And it's a bunch of people who knew this might take some time, and knew things could be delayed for any number of reasons, and are glad anyone was available to step into the vacuum created by the previous disappearance. But now it seems like the GH60 lead role is some kind of "bermuda triangle." Is it a myth, superstition, or a legit phenomenon?

Are we "crazy" to feel like dude disappeared?

Are we "crazy" to be a bit wary from the previous disappearance?

Are we "crazy" to want to know wtf is going on?

Nope.

I think we'd be quite a bit more understanding, overall, than any "pitchfork mob." That's just hyperbole. And you know what? Even if people DID flip tables and post multiple volatile comments... dude, it's just words on the internet. No one's house is getting burned down, no one's getting strapped to a stake and torched.

The fact that he can't even arrive to the forum to deposit some useful words, frankly has me the most worried... not just for my/everyone's stuff, but for the dude's well being; and i don't even know him.

How emotionally/psychologically compromised does someone really have to be, that they can't even post in a forum, for the sake of a project they currently hold all the keys to completing? Whatever it is, it must really suck. The last thing i would want to do is hyper-flame a guy who can't even bring himself to face a forum for a little while.

Or, maybe he's just like "F this, F that, F you guys, i'll do it when i feel like it, whatever..." and if that's the case, then we need to know, so we can attempt to nominate an appropriate person who can get this done.

IMHO
Logitech G710+

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #3863 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 01:44:35 »
What exactly is holding this groupbuy back? I can't even remember how many batches of GH60 groupbuy has happened in China. Production shouldn't take this long.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline pix3l_fodder

« Reply #3864 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 03:31:19 »
No one knows exactly what is holding the GB back, mostly the disappearance of the organisers and lack of communication. At this rate I may just buy a Spirit.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3865 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 06:49:09 »
So what we know is plates are made, paid for and delivered, PCB's are on hand, switches are on hand and stabilizers are a ? Assembly still needs to happen for those that paid for it, which is a daunting tasks in itself.

TJ is a busy guy but he is a business man and I don't think he would leave us hanging at the end of the day and yes he has had lots of extra money sitting in his PayPal account for a while which can cause issues (taxes etc) of course the corresponding money should have been spent already for parts received so all that is left is shipping money and stabilizers money and assembly money?

Personally since I can't PM TJ I asked jdcarpe to PM him a while ago letting him know I no longer need assembly and/or stabilizers just the PCB, plate and switches, the extra money I paid for the other things can go to whatever they need to to get this continuing along.

Offline kekstee

« Reply #3866 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 19:31:37 »
Agreed. I did order wires and stabs… but seriously, if this outgrew any possible organisation I'd be happy just to get my hands on the plates and komars PCB :)
That said - I did order my switches from 7bit around the same time and a lack of MX-Blacks (of which I ordered two samples :D) is still holding it up.

Some hint on the intended progression would be nice of course.

Offline numiru

« Reply #3867 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 21:40:19 »
Does anyone have any info on if and when mechanicalkeyboards.com will stock the GH60 PCBs?
KUL ES-87

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3868 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 21:44:04 »
Does anyone have any info on if and when mechanicalkeyboards.com will stock the GH60 PCBs?

Some time after the GB actually starts delivering stuff...so, say December 2016?

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #3869 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 02:38:37 »
I feel like typing a proper wall of text but I'd only be echoing the sentiments from the above posts.  I only ordered 2 PCBs and 1 plate knowing that I would source everything else myself.  As far as I am aware both the PCBs and plates have been produced and received so I don't honestly know what the hold up is - surely they just need putting in a box and shipping to me right?
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline bear95

« Reply #3870 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 04:18:59 »

Some time after the GB actually starts delivering stuff...so, say December 2016?

And I thought expecting this to come out 2015 was good enough

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #3871 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 07:35:25 »
For a lot of us I don't see any reason why we can't have out stuff in 2014 (like NOW).  For people having stabs and / or switches and / or assembly that's a different matter.

Unless there's something I'm missing I'm just imagining all of the PCBs and plates sat in TJ's garage / shed / front room literally waiting to be sent out.
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3872 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 07:45:00 »
For a lot of us I don't see any reason why we can't have out stuff in 2014 (like NOW).  For people having stabs and / or switches and / or assembly that's a different matter.

Unless there's something I'm missing I'm just imagining all of the PCBs and plates sat in TJ's garage / shed / front room literally waiting to be sent out.

It would be good to check with everyone who wanted pre soldered boards to see if they would still want them if they have to wait more. That might reduce the amount of work that is required to get this shipping.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #3873 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 09:57:38 »
It would be good to check with everyone who wanted pre soldered boards to see if they would still want them if they have to wait more. That might reduce the amount of work that is required to get this shipping.

Agreed. However, we're still in limbo until whomever is now in charge of this group buy steps up and gives us a status update.

It irks me that TJ has had another crumbled group buy land in his lap (CCnG R2 anyone?) and he's having polish another turd while the angry mob takes whacks out of him like a piñata hoping something will break loose.

Offline pix3l_fodder

« Reply #3874 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 11:07:15 »
someone able to find out about where these people live and see if someone can pop over and actually ask them what the hell is going on, possible get an update that way perhaps see if we can find a candidate to take over?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3875 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 11:22:37 »
Seriously?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3876 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 11:30:46 »
Seriously?

Sweet JD is taking over!!

More

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3877 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 11:40:34 »
someone able to find out about where these people live and see if someone can pop over and actually ask them what the hell is going on, possible get an update that way perhaps see if we can find a candidate to take over?

This is extreme and unnecessary, and kind of scary.  We are nowhere near the point where we need to form a literal mob.  An internet mob is more than enough at this point.

I am confident that as soon as there is something to say, TJ will say it.  Yes, it's nice to hear "no updates", and radio silence is sketchy, but TJ is dependable and has done a great job of taking over GBs before.  That said, your frustration is understandable.  I just don't think taking action like this is productive.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #3878 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 12:13:56 »
Yeah, let's not (literally) go there.

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #3879 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 13:53:53 »
Glad to check in a see everything is going well with this GB.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3880 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 16:19:01 »
Plates, switches and pcb variants are in my possession.  Next will be separating and getting a system set up so I can efficiently work through orders for packaging, assembly and packing (once usps finally delivers all the mfrb I ordered).  I don't really have a timeline for all of this because of several reasons.

Stabilizer money will be refunded after the buy is complete as the whole mess of getting them would have legitimately added 6 months to the buy at this point just to get 2x.  I would have had to hand bend all spacebar stabs and while WFD might have been willing, I am not. 

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #3881 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 16:37:58 »
Plates, switches and pcb variants are in my possession.  Next will be separating and getting a system set up so I can efficiently work through orders for packaging, assembly and packing (once usps finally delivers all the mfrb I ordered).  I don't really have a timeline for all of this because of several reasons.

Stabilizer money will be refunded after the buy is complete as the whole mess of getting them would have legitimately added 6 months to the buy at this point just to get 2x.  I would have had to hand bend all spacebar stabs and while WFD might have been willing, I am not.

Thank you TJ for giving us a status update.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3882 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 16:58:56 »

Thanks for the update TJ. We really appreciate all the hard work. :)

Offline pasph

« Reply #3883 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 17:09:44 »

Thanks!
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Broadmonkey

« Reply #3884 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 17:37:12 »
Thanks for the update, TJ! We appreciate it :D

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #3885 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 17:40:24 »

That's all we wanted, thanks

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3886 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 18:25:30 »
Thanks TJ, it's good to hear that this still has traction and letting us know where everything is and the plan.

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #3887 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 21:34:08 »
Now i feel like an *******. Good to hear TJ  :thumb:

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #3888 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 01:54:32 »
say what you want, but it was my motivational picture that rocked the boat!

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3889 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 03:28:55 »
That picture would rock even a battleship   :cool:
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline ferociousfingerings

« Reply #3890 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 07:03:43 »

Thank You! Glad to see you well.

say what you want, but it was my motivational picture that rocked the boat!

That picture would rock even a battleship   :cool:

That picture sank my battleship.

Okay not really, i just thought it would be funny to say that. Insert torpedo joke, motion of the ocean joke, and various other supplemental marine-level innuendo.
Logitech G710+

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #3891 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 07:35:03 »

That's all we wanted, thanks

this^^
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Re: GH60 Group Buy (PREPARING TO SHIP)
« Reply #3892 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 09:37:43 »
Updated OP with current status reflecting TJ's update post.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #3893 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 10:19:04 »
You could add a colorful date to the updates.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3894 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 10:30:52 »

Huh?

in memoriam

Offline Turbinia

« Reply #3895 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 10:38:11 »

I would second this, assuming it doesn't create more issues. My soldering iron is feeling so underutilized and lonely.
| Dolch | KBT ONE | QFR w/PBT | Poker II |

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #3896 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 10:38:17 »

Huh?

I'm confused as well but I think he wants COLORS

Offline pix3l_fodder

« Reply #3897 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 10:39:01 »
Thank you for the update. Sorry i never meant an internet mob i just meant one person politely asking perhaps what was going on. Nothing serious, i guess thats by the by now.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #3898 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 10:47:39 »

Huh?

I believe this is it

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #3899 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 11:51:13 »
Right on time! This badboy is going in the DuckMiniV2!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015