Author Topic: GH60 Group Buy (Salvage Mode: Enabled - Update in OP)  (Read 1624481 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: GH60 Group Buy (PREPARING TO SHIP)
« Reply #3950 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 16:30:33 »
Am I still getting stabs when I only ordered in this GB or do I have to put in an order at Ivan's?

Recent communication indicated that the money would be refunded and it's up to us to work it out (ie, buy from Ivan).

The most recent update that I have seen is TJ is planning to send funds to Ivan for the cherry stabs, so they would be fulfilled.  The coster stabs are going to be refunded according to what I last heard.

Keep in mind that the details here are still in flight and everyone is projecting statuses based on the limited detail we have been provided so far.  Lets not worry about it too much for a few weeks and let TJ and Ivan figure out how the cherry stab piece will be handled and I am sure we will be updated when they have a strategy and news for us.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #3951 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 16:37:28 »
Is there some method to confirm shipping addresses? I have moved a few times since I joined this GB back in forever ago.

Coming soon...

Sweet, I was worried about this.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3952 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 17:04:22 »
Am I still getting stabs when I only ordered in this GB or do I have to put in an order at Ivan's?

Recent communication indicated that the money would be refunded and it's up to us to work it out (ie, buy from Ivan).

The most recent update that I have seen is TJ is planning to send funds to Ivan for the cherry stabs, so they would be fulfilled.  The coster stabs are going to be refunded according to what I last heard.

Keep in mind that the details here are still in flight and everyone is projecting statuses based on the limited detail we have been provided so far.  Lets not worry about it too much for a few weeks and let TJ and Ivan figure out how the cherry stab piece will be handled and I am sure we will be updated when they have a strategy and news for us.

Oh.  Maybe I shouldn't have ordered so many stabs in the GB then...  xD

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3953 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 17:09:30 »

Oh.  Maybe I shouldn't have ordered so many stabs in the GB then...  xD

there are always people looking for stabs, so I doubt you will have extras for long...  :)

Offline nil

« Reply #3954 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:47:39 »
I don't think I'm the only one in this situation but I ordered costar stabs, and also assembly, and I'd be happy to switch to cherry stabs if it means that the keyboard can still be assembled.

For people like me: should we order cherry stabs from Ivan's groupbuy, ask that he ships our orders to whomever the GH60 assembler is, and wait for our costar refund? Or can someone on the GH60 organizer side put in an order of cherry stabs for us so it saves time on both our parts? (If the latter, I'd be happy to replace my 7x Costar stabs with 7x plate-mounted Cherry stabs)
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:50:17 by nil »
Keyboard: On the perpetual, holy grail quest for my own GH60.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3955 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 16:51:02 »
The logistics of getting everyone's approval for this are going to be a nightmare. But I personally think that everyone who ordered Costar stabs should get Cherry stabs, instead. That way everyone who ordered stabs would at least get some stabs, even if they weren't the ones they really wanted.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Turbinia

« Reply #3956 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 18:04:23 »
If it comes to a vote jdcarpe, I vote yes to the Cherry stabs. It is just a few dollars either way and it is better than nothing and having no choice but to source your own stabs. Great to see this moving forward even with all the difficulties. We are almost there!
| Dolch | KBT ONE | QFR w/PBT | Poker II |

Offline kekstee

« Reply #3957 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 18:34:02 »
I'm going to order additional stabs from Ivan anyway, which makes it seem easier to drop mine from this gb. Would this be a reasonable option or more work in the end?
(also the set mentioned here would be 4*2u + the selected spacebar, correct?)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3958 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 19:35:10 »
I'm going to order additional stabs from Ivan anyway, which makes it seem easier to drop mine from this gb. Would this be a reasonable option or more work in the end?
(also the set mentioned here would be 4*2u + the selected spacebar, correct?)

Yes that is correct.

I also ordered stabs from Ivan to be safe.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3959 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 19:40:02 »
The logistics of getting everyone's approval for this are going to be a nightmare. But I personally think that everyone who ordered Costar stabs should get Cherry stabs, instead. That way everyone who ordered stabs would at least get some stabs, even if they weren't the ones they really wanted.

I agree, I think it would be insane to do the logistics of letting people choose.

I also agree that replacing coster stabs with cherry would be a great option. Having some stabs is better than not.  I think people in this GB are generally willing to compromise a bit to move things forward smoothly.

Offline bear95

« Reply #3960 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 04:59:22 »
Agree. Ordered costart stabs but if they're isn't much of a difference between the two I would rather get cherry stabs than go through the work of ordering costar ones from elsewhere.

Offline mauri

« Reply #3961 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 07:37:57 »
Agree. Ordered costart stabs but if they're isn't much of a difference between the two I would rather get cherry stabs than go through the work of ordering costar ones from elsewhere.

iirc cherry stabs only worked with the universal plate
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3962 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 08:10:07 »

Every plate from this group buy will support either Cherry or Costar stabilizers, and the PCB supports Cherry PCB mount stabilizers.

The "Universal" plates, however, REQUIRE use of Cherry PCB mount stabilizers.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3963 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 08:11:11 »

Quoted from the OP:

Each of the layouts above will have their own plates [...], compatible with all 3 types of stabilizers.
In addition, there will be 2 more “universal” plates available. [...] The drawback is that you must use PCB-mounted cherry stabilizers, no other stabilizers option.

Offline vorn

« Reply #3964 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 01:04:59 »
Pumped!!  :D :D

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #3965 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 01:22:43 »
Do I read "PREPARING TO SHIP"?

Offline pix3l_fodder

« Reply #3966 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 11:35:54 »
is there a 3d file i can download to have my own universal iso plate cut? I missed out on getting one originally. (unless anyone else has one available?)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #3967 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 13:44:55 »
You need a 2D file for getting a plate cut, there should be something around here on the forums, what case do you plan to use it with?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #3968 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 20:03:42 »

Show Image

You do, but don't expect shipping to happen before ivan's dolch gb is received.

I still think we are a little ways off from getting them, but everything is basically accounted for from what I can tell. I doubt shipping will start till the stabs are in hand.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #3969 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 07:49:36 »

Show Image

Doesn't do much since it took months to get a update...
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline hellerbarde

• stumbling through the mechanical keyboard world.
« Reply #3970 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:00:48 »

Show Image

Oh, ye of little faith! ;D

I'm getting excited! Go GH60!
objectoriented when someone felt like it.

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #3971 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 08:10:20 »

Show Image

Until they actually ship, no need to get excited. Maybe we'll get another updated in a few months...

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline tgujay

Re: GH60 Group Buy (WAITING FOR STABILIZERS)
« Reply #3972 on: Wed, 23 July 2014, 09:25:28 »

Show Image

Until they actually ship, no need to get excited. Maybe we'll get another updated in a few months...

Oh snap!
Gotta collect them all

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #3973 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 03:21:02 »
I see that shipping has been delayed until stabilizers are received.  What about those of us that haven't ordered stabilizers?  Can't we just have our stuff already?
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline pexon

• * Maker
  • El Jefe of Sleeving
    • Pexon PCs
« Reply #3974 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 03:33:13 »
I'd be happy to take my order without stabs if possible, I've got Cherry and Costar stabs here waiting.

If at all possible, I'd love for my order to be shipped without them

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #3975 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 04:38:37 »
What are you going to be ordering in place of costar stabs?

Can we get a date next to the changes in OP? (ok without colors)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #3976 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 09:27:00 »
I know this is probably somewhere in the last 132 pages, but what about those of us who only need the PCB and plate?

Are we waiting for stabs as well?

Thanks in advance,

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #3977 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 10:28:04 »
I know this is probably somewhere in the last 132 pages, but what about those of us who only need the PCB and plate?

Thanks in advance,

- Ron | samwisekoi

I can't see why we wouldn't be able to have our stuff early to be honest but I have a bad feeling that this will be the case...  Surely it would make more sense for those orders where everything is on hand to be sent out now - that way some orders are sent now and some later rather than having to pack and ship all the orders at the same time later.
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #3978 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 10:34:32 »

Thanks in advance,

- Ron | samwisekoi

*waits for update in 2015*

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline mkaito

« Reply #3979 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 10:44:47 »
You guys sure are ****s. Yeah, the GB is delayed as hell, but how do you think the organizers feel about it, holding everyone's money and unable to deliver? Do you think they don't want to get this over with and give everyone their god damn boards? Do you really think mocking them will get anyone anywhere? Give it a rest already.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #3980 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 10:50:24 »
What do you mean unable to deliver?  Surely having most of the components for all of the orders and all of the components for some orders means that they are in a perfect position to deliver.

Offline mkaito

« Reply #3981 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 10:52:29 »
Perhaps they are trying to be fair and wait until everyone can have their new toys? I don't think I'd mind other people getting theirs before I get mine, but I'm sure some people would be pretty miffed. The only way to avoid such nonsense is to wait.

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #3982 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 10:55:38 »
So you'd rather definitely annoy some people than possibly annoy others?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3983 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 10:59:47 »
I should really just lock this thread and post updates when available...

in memoriam

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3984 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:05:20 »
You guys sure are ****s. Yeah, the GB is delayed as hell, but how do you think the organizers feel about it, holding everyone's money and unable to deliver? Do you think they don't want to get this over with and give everyone their god damn boards? Do you really think mocking them will get anyone anywhere? Give it a rest already.

If that's how you feel, send me $120 and I'll get you an asembled Phantom.  Don't worry if I disappear for six months with no updates or tell you to be patient after a year because I'm having a hard time sourcing a Teensy I should have bought at the start of things. 

Do I feel bad for the position TJ is in? Yes, but this thing has been a disaster for a year.  Let people vent their frustration, especially when it comes to simple questions that have gone unanswered for a while.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3985 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:10:09 »
stupid phone double posting

You know that would start a witch hunt.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:12:34 by nubbinator »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3986 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:19:03 »

Thanks in advance,

- Ron | samwisekoi

When I updated the OP to say that we are waiting on stabs, it was more to inform people who had ordered them that we are waiting on them, and that we won't be shipping partial orders or refunding stab money.

I can't speak for TJ, but I seriously doubt he is waiting on the stabilizers to arrive to ship orders that don't have stabilizers. But after personally going through the orders spreadsheet just this morning, the VAST majority of orders in this group buy include stabilizers. There are literally just a handful of orders that don't include stabs.

You know that would start a witch hunt.

IDGAF.

in memoriam

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #3987 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:19:55 »

Um, Mr. (Ms.) mkaito with 87 post to your name, have YOU run the largest GB logistics and shipping operation in the history of GeekHack?  No, that was me.*

I know all of the people involved, and very much more about how this process works than you.  So do JD and Nub.  I asked a reasonable question in a reasonable (IMHO) tone.  TJCaustin knows what he is doing, and earned his title of King Klaxon through feats of action, not words.  (Actually, talking to tjcaustin, my tone was VERY measured.)

If The King decides to reply to me with "godammit Ron, all of the PCBs are in one goddam box, and I'm not busting it open just for the people who aren't having assembly done" then I'll say, fair enough.

When you have a wall of custom and rare keyboards behind YOUR desk, then and only then can you accuse others of mocking or being ****s.

Also, oh look.  I am an Admin here.  Flagged for moderation.

- Ron | samwisekoi

* [edit] To be fair, that might have been TJ, with his awesome "wheel of sorting" process.  One of the two of us, anyhow.

« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:24:04 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline mkaito

« Reply #3988 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:25:01 »
.... So I might get banned because I made a general statement about expecting a more civilized discussion? Interesting.

EDIT: I absolutely don't see how I need to run a group buy or have $10k in keyboards in order to be a civilized person.

EDIT2: I'm curious as to why you're taking my statement personally, when I meant it generally, samwisekoi.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:28:49 by mkaito »

Offline bear95

« Reply #3989 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:35:51 »
.... So I might get banned because I made a general statement about expecting a more civilized discussion? Interesting.

EDIT: I absolutely don't see how I need to run a group buy or have $10k in keyboards in order to be a civilized person.

EDIT2: I'm curious as to why you're taking my statement personally, when I meant it generally, samwisekoi.
I dont know man but I find your posts more aggressive and uncivilized than the others.

Offline mkaito

« Reply #3990 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:37:43 »

I dont know man but I find your posts more aggressive and uncivilized than the others.

Well, my bad. My intention was to try and get people to be a little more emphatic, not to stir up a **** storm. Please accept my humblest apologies.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #3991 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:38:43 »

1) "You guys sure are ****s."

How could I take that personally?

2) "How do you think the organizers feel about...?"

Well, how I could know was by actually being in that position with ten of thousands of other peoples' money and needing to figure out an equitable way to get everything out as quickly as fairly as possible.  That';s how I could know.  How could you?

3) "Do you really think mocking them will get anyone anywhere?"

No, that's why I didn't mock THEM.  I mocked YOU.

4) "Give it a rest already."

Actually, I did.  I posted a question, and JD actually looked into it and replied.  I made no other reply until YOU decided to help me understand my place in this GB and how it should be run from your lofty perspective.

And just in case you think I am new to this group buy, go to Page 1, look at the plates that were made, and notice WHO designed them.  See any familiar names there?

You're not going to get banned, but you should decide to take your medicine and chill.

Or you could bring your knife back to a gun fight.

Geez.  Now I am going to have to report myself for being in a flame war!

JD, thanks for checking into the order list.  I appreciate the actual answer to my question, and I am truly sorry it got spun up into something it needn't have been.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline bear95

« Reply #3992 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:42:44 »
Is it possible to post in this thread and in the op about a groupbuy for costar stabilizers in the event one pops up? Not in the habit of checking the marketplace often for the fear of my wallet and I dont want be left stabilizerless because I didnt check.

Offline mkaito

« Reply #3993 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:47:50 »

1) "You guys sure are ****s."

How could I take that personally?

I wasn't aware "****s" was such a terrible word. Perhaps I should have said "dummies", or "meanies" or something.

2) "How do you think the organizers feel about...?"

Well, how I could know was by actually being in that position with ten of thousands of other peoples' money and needing to figure out an equitable way to get everything out as quickly as fairly as possible.  That';s how I could know.  How could you?

Because I've been in that situation before. Holding a large sum of money, and unable to deliver for reasons outside of my control. It sucks. A lot.

3) "Do you really think mocking them will get anyone anywhere?"

No, that's why I didn't mock THEM.  I mocked YOU.

I wasn't talking about you. This was the post I had in miind when writing that:

*waits for update in 2015*

And when I posted that, you had evidently not replied to me, so I'm not sure how you figured I was talking about you mocking anyone.

4) "Give it a rest already."

Actually, I did.  I posted a question, and JD actually looked into it and replied.  I made no other reply until YOU decided to help me understand my place in this GB and how it should be run from your lofty perspective.

Seriously, you need to stop taking things personally. As I said above, I wanted to prompt the complainers to be a little more emphatic. I'm still clueless as to how you thought I meant your question when I said people were being ****s.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3994 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:49:54 »
Is it possible to post in this thread and in the op about a groupbuy for costar stabilizers in the event one pops up? Not in the habit of checking the marketplace often for the fear of my wallet and I dont want be left stabilizerless because I didnt check.

I've never seen a group buy for Costar stabilizers. I shudder to think what the MOQ for ordering direct from Costar in Taiwan may be. You can sometimes (when they are in stock) get them from WASDkeyboards.com, and I heard that QWER.io may be carrying them soon, as well.

in memoriam

Offline bear95

« Reply #3995 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:52:08 »
Also, this may be an unrelated question but is buying stabilizers or any keyboard parts for the matter cheaper in korea?

Offline geniekid

« Reply #3996 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:54:35 »

I've never seen a group buy for Costar stabilizers. I shudder to think what the MOQ for ordering direct from Costar in Taiwan may be. You can sometimes (when they are in stock) get them from WASDkeyboards.com, and I heard that QWER.io may be carrying them soon, as well.

I think MechanicalKeyboards.com has them in stock, but they are quite expensive.  Their reps usually pretty responsive - I don't know if anyone has tried reaching out to them for bulk Costar stab ordering, although based on what I see from their website (WASD logo on the item picture), they probably don't source directly from Costar.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:56:36 by geniekid »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #3997 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:56:26 »
Also, this may be an unrelated question but is buying stabilizers or any keyboard parts for the matter cheaper in korea?

Only the Koreans may know the answer...

When I see your username:

I think MechanicalKeyboards.com has them in stock, but they are quite expensive.  Their reps usually pretty responsive - I don't know if anyone has tried reaching out to them for bulk Costar stab ordering, although based on what I see from their website (WASD logo on the item picture), they probably don't source directly from Costar.

I think the problem is one of cost. That is, ordering them from a retail source, rather than from a distributor.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:58:11 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3998 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 11:59:06 »
When I see your username:

Show Image

I wonder if I'm the only one who caught that reference JD :P

Offline geniekid

« Reply #3999 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 12:00:05 »

I think the problem is one of cost. That is, ordering them from a retail source, rather than from a distributor.

You are right.  Cost is the probably the only reason MK still has them in stock even though they get them from WASD which is usually out of stock.