Author Topic: Why are ClickClacks worth so much more than GasMasks?  (Read 9169 times)

Offline Shyfe

Why are ClickClacks worth so much more than GasMasks?
« on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:17:57 »
Why are they even worth that much to begin with?

HHKB (55g) | IBM SSK | Realforce 87U (55g) | Unicomp EnduraPro | KBT Oni

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
Re: Why are ClickClacks worth so much more than GasMasks?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:19:45 »
Well, they both retail for roughly the same price and low quantities are made of both. I guess people just prefer the design of CCs, so they're in higher demand, therefore the price is higher.

As for why they're expensive in the first place.. Supply and demand. Simple as that.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Belfong

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:19:48 »
Rembrant vs Monet - in a way...

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:20:03 »

They're not. They're worth the same. People just inflate the prices to all hell because they can and the creator doesn't care. Exclusivity makes people do ridiculous things.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:24:52 »
As for why they're expensive in the first place.. Supply and demand. Simple as that.

+1

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:33:08 »
Rarity, demand, hype, and quality. Martins caps are great quality too but CC makes molds and tiny things for a living, long before he joined GH. His experience and knowledge shows in his work.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:35:42 »
Clacks also have a much longer history on the forum than Brobots, GasMasks, Bingecaps, etc.  If all these alternatives had existed a couple of years ago I'm not sure that the clack market would have skyrocketed like it did.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:51:06 »

They're not. They're worth the same. People just inflate the prices to all hell because they can and the creator doesn't care. Exclusivity makes people do ridiculous things.

I'm not sure that is a fair assessment, clickclack has more than once made it clear that he does not appreciate what the secondary market has become. He has some very good posts in his artisan sub-forum sharing his thoughts on the way people treat his caps and what they have become.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 April 2014, 19:53:04 »

I'm not sure that is a fair assessment, clickclack has more than once made it clear that he does not appreciate what the secondary market has become. He has some very good posts in his artisan sub-forum sharing his thoughts on the way people treat his caps and what they have become.

My mistake. I apologize for assuming. I've never seen a post by him stating that he didn't appreciate it, so I made the assumption that he was fine with it. I'll have to do some more reading I guess =(. That said, I do like the caps, and if I can ever get some at retail, I'm all for it.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 00:25:11 »
Based on photographs alone,  I think brobot's latest work is the cleanest casting, and then gasmask's, and then others.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 00:40:26 »
Based on photographs alone,  I think brobot's latest work is the cleanest casting, and then gasmask's, and then others.

60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 00:52:15 »

Show Image

Sorry bro, I hope you are not hurt, if it means anything, Bingecap is one of the only novelty caps I have and intend to keep (Other two being a toxic gasmask and shotkeys)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 00:57:37 »

Show Image

Sorry bro, I hope you are not hurt, if it means anything, Bingecap is one of the only novelty caps I have and intend to keep (Other two being a toxic gasmask and shotkeys)
I think he meant "shots fired"

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 00:57:49 »
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Belfong

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 00:59:07 »
It's art. Not science. There is no way to determine it logically, rationally, scientifically.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 01:03:17 »
Exactly, and everyone has different tastes.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 01:10:02 »

My Gumrot Ogre is the sharpest cast cap I have followed by my Bros then my standard skull Clacks followed by my Gasmasks.  The reason Gasmasks come last for me is that every single one I've gotten new has come with tons of microscratches/scuffs on the side.  My used Clacks came with some marks on the bottom and sides, but my new ones were all pristine and sharp.  Bros were the same except my Jellybean Blue had some barely visible funky line down it.  Of course, my Gumrot Ogre also has a stem that's just a little loose, so I'm not saying any of them are perfect.

To be frank, it's almost impossible to say ones cleaner than the other in casting since they're all cast so well.  They all have their small flaws, but they're all so well done that it's hard to call one "best".  Add in natural variation in production and, well, it's even harder.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 01:54:43 »
Why is casting perfection the only measurement you guys are using to judge these artisnal pieces?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 01:59:33 »
Why is casting perfection the only measurement you guys are using to judge these artisnal pieces?

It isn't, but since people were talking about casting quality, I was dispelling that notion.  I appreciate the art of different cap makers.  I always hope people love my caps I make in spite of their casting flaws.  It comes down to the passion the work shows and the interesting elements that each artist imparts.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 02:10:08 »

It isn't, but since people were talking about casting quality, I was dispelling that notion.  I appreciate the art of different cap makers.  I always hope people love my caps I make in spite of their casting flaws.  It comes down to the passion the work shows and the interesting elements that each artist imparts.

Amen

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 02:16:02 »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 02:42:51 »

Well said.  :thumb:

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 10:05:58 »
@MOZ - yeah it's just a "shots fired" gif xD I am not hurt, but thank you for being so kind.

@nubb - By golly if there isn't a lot of effort logged at the end of a day.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 10:19:17 »
Not disagreeing with any other responses, I'd also like to add that the exclusivity and variety in the caps make them rare and in demand.
Plus, in the opinion of most, Clacks are probably more desirable. Seeing tricolor skulls and Julysicle/Oktoberfest/3D and things like that just makes me realize that neither Bro Caps' works nor Gas Masks come close in creativity.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 10:24:00 »
Not disagreeing with any other responses, I'd also like to add that the exclusivity and variety in the caps make them rare and in demand.
Plus, in the opinion of most, Clacks are probably more desirable. Seeing tricolor skulls and Julysicle/Oktoberfest/3D and things like that just makes me realize that neither Bro Caps' works nor Gas Masks come close in creativity.

You do know BroCaps is making 4-shot caps right now, don't you?
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 10:25:44 »

brocaps is definitely doing some interesting things

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55978.msg1276009#msg1276009

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 10:29:29 »

Are they translucent?  :p
I just don't put it on the same level., simply because I, and probably most people, buy art caps purely for their aesthetics, not really how they're made. But I'm sure that it will appeal to some people who care and thus drive the price up.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 10:44:54 »

I just don't put it on the same level., simply because I, and probably most people, buy art caps purely for their aesthetics, not really how they're made. But I'm sure that it will appeal to some people who care and thus drive the price up.

So you are arguing that some people buy items for aesthetics, but aesthetics aren't all that appeal to people.  People also buy things for other reasons.  In this argument you state that you are with the majority.

What's your point?

::EDIT:: yes some are translucent,

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 10:52:19 »
Those ZomBro caps gave me a boner.
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:00:35 »

So you are arguing that some people buy items for aesthetics, but aesthetics aren't all that appeal to people.  People also buy things for other reasons.  In this argument you state that you are with the majority.

What's your point?

Show Image

You misunderstood. I said that I don't buy caps because of how they're made, i.e. that I wouldn't buy a four-shot cap over a painted cap if it didn't look better.  Binge, you literally made up what I said.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:35:12 »

What's your point?

Show Image

You misunderstood. I said that I don't buy caps because of how they're made, i.e. that I wouldn't buy a four-shot cap over a painted cap if it didn't look better.  Binge, you literally made up what I said.

You mentioned the other makers caps didn't compare due to creativity so how can you separate 'how they are made' from them being creative?

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:37:30 »

What's your point?

Show Image

You mentioned the other makers caps didn't compare due to creativity so how can you separate 'how they are made' from them being creative?

Because in a purchasing perspective, the way the caps are manufactured has little to no bearing on their price if they are art. It's completely subjective.

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:37:38 »

The secondary market is unavoidable when the production process is so meticulous. If he could keep up with demand for the product, the secondary market wouldn't exist. This is not a criticism so much as an observation. His work is spectacular and it's disappointing that there hasn't been a true 4grabs in a very long time. I have a topre oktoberfest and candy corn that I decided I liked enough to buy on said secondary market, but I would gladly eat the loss in value if I could buy more of these caps easily or at retail prices. Speaking of which, if anyone has the arrow cluster candy corn caps in topre to sell I'll offer up my soul. :)
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:39:54 »
>Cluck Clarks are best creativity
>Are mostly all skulls

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:42:28 »
>Cluck Clarks are best creativity
>Are mostly all skulls

B-but 420s and tricolor blanks.. :-X

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:43:18 »
keyword : mostly
github

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:45:52 »

I don't really want to argue, I just gave my opinion and Binge flew off the handle because of it. I thinks I'll just find somewhere where a neutral opinion on pricing isn't raged at.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:48:58 »
I don't really want to argue, I just gave my opinion and Binge flew off the handle because of it. I thinks I'll just find somewhere where a neutral opinion on pricing isn't raged at.
I didn't say a word about your discussion with binge..
github

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 11:51:58 »

How did he fly off the handle? His response was perfectly reasonable. I see you engage in mud slinging all over this website, I think I've figured out why.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 12:01:33 »

How did he fly off the handle? His response was perfectly reasonable. I see you engage in mud slinging all over this website, I think I've figured out why.

Good for you. Great that Binge is held to a different standard than everyone else because he makes keycaps, and you judge me based on nothing but other threads. Best community ever.

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 12:05:30 »
Your posting in other threads is the only basis for which anyone can judge you. What did you expect, to get a pass for ****ty behavior because it's on another thread in the same site? Your reputation in a community is based on your participation in said community. You are regularly belligerent.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 12:09:02 »

I'm not sure you know what the word creativity means.  I'd argue that binge's, hipstepunk's, bro's, and even some of my caps (like the nebula series) are more creative than Clacks.  The quality of the caps of the newer casters like myself isn't at Clack level, but there is a ton of creativity going around.

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 12:13:36 »
Not to mention that creativity is not something that is objectively measurable. He's debating an entirely subjective concept.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 12:15:05 »

I don't know, man. I reread everything that was said, and Binge didn't fly off the handle. He also didn't make up anything you said, just pretty much restated it word for word. I don't see how you can say he overreacted or that he's being held to a different standard...

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 12:16:19 »
Linkbane,

I'll admit communication skills are probably at the ass end of my skillset.  I was just curious why you mentioned that ultimately aesthetics govern your decision to buy artwork, but in the same statement you state that you guess others (who are a minority) buy for other reasons.

It just seemed... wishy-washy? ah it really doesn't matter.  To you Clacks are aesthetically more appealing and therefore more meaningful even more creative and I can respect that. 

There are a few caps from a variety of cap makers which I respect for either color or contour/shape which is as good a reason as any to buy a piece of art.

Folks are going to comment on what you say because aesthetics are subjective, and I think you hinted at an appreciation of craft valuable when you said,

But I'm sure that it will appeal to some people who care and thus drive the price up.

There are just some people who see the craft (artform and work associated) as beautiful as the shape.

Just what is attraction and the need to defend it?  When I was a teen it really mattered to some people how their girl/boyfriend appealed to the larger audience.  Today I know a few women I work with who ***** and moan about how their husbands are "completely unpresentable at parties and social gatherings," when they are wonderful people to be around.

Logical tangents aside-- there's no reason to be defensive I just wanted to know if you had a greater point in mind when you mentioned something completely subjective in a thread that dares to inquire if there is an objective difference between ClickClacks and GasMasks.

Offline Dyslexic

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 12:16:55 »

I don't know, man. I reread everything that was said, and Binge didn't fly off the handle. He also didn't make up anything you said, just pretty much restated it word for word. I don't see how you can say he overreacted or that he's being held to a different standard...

He's just salty that the forums aren't an echochamber of agreement. Profile says 16 years old, I'd believe it.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 12:38:42 »
Linkbane,

I'll admit communication skills are probably at the ass end of my skillset.  I was just curious why you mentioned that ultimately aesthetics govern your decision to buy artwork, but in the same statement you state that you guess others (who are a minority) buy for other reasons.

It just seemed... wishy-washy? ah it really doesn't matter.  To you Clacks are aesthetically more appealing and therefore more meaningful even more creative and I can respect that. 

There are a few caps from a variety of cap makers which I respect for either color or contour/shape which is as good a reason as any to buy a piece of art.

Folks are going to comment on what you say because aesthetics are subjective, and I think you hinted at an appreciation of craft valuable when you said,

But I'm sure that it will appeal to some people who care and thus drive the price up.

There are just some people who see the craft (artform and work associated) as beautiful as the shape.

Just what is attraction and the need to defend it?  When I was a teen it really mattered to some people how their girl/boyfriend appealed to the larger audience.  Today I know a few women I work with who ***** and moan about how their husbands are "completely unpresentable at parties and social gatherings," when they are wonderful people to be around.

Logical tangents aside-- there's no reason to be defensive I just wanted to know if you had a greater point in mind when you mentioned something completely subjective in a thread that dares to inquire if there is an objective difference between ClickClacks and GasMasks.

Okay, this was much more the sort of response I was looking for. Logical, related to the discussion and all.

I said that others may buy for other reasons because I'm sure that I'm not anywhere close to everyone who buys art keycaps, and that people who are not myself, which I assume are in the minority purely because Brobots are not discussed or traded as frequently as Clacks, do appreciate the making of the cap.

There wasn't really a greater purpose, my post wasn't really meant to be taken as anything besides just commentary and that's mostly why I was pretty unhappy that all this came up because of it. Thanks for being reasonable after all.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 13:38:12 »

The secondary market is unavoidable when the production process is so meticulous. If he could keep up with demand for the product, the secondary market wouldn't exist. This is not a criticism so much as an observation. His work is spectacular and it's disappointing that there hasn't been a true 4grabs in a very long time. I have a topre oktoberfest and candy corn that I decided I liked enough to buy on said secondary market, but I would gladly eat the loss in value if I could buy more of these caps easily or at retail prices. Speaking of which, if anyone has the arrow cluster candy corn caps in topre to sell I'll offer up my soul. :)

Haven't been able to find candy corn fn, arrows, or wasd in topre. Nor arrows in MX. Found 1 person with wasd in MX but even with a huge offer he wouldn't sell. :-(

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 14:06:37 »
I personally think the new ZomBros caps are beautiful, the Clacks are also nice just not for me, however his presence from the lurking I've done hacked lately besides his random 4grab he had recently.

PS BroCaps make lots of Zombros, I need one as I have a Zombie themed computer area, that won't be complete. :(
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 14:38:51 »
Composition material, detail, consistency
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 15:08:22 »
one thing i rather enjoy about CC's and dont mind paying little extra for is the continuity of his caps, i can rest assured knowing if i own a depth black cc skull, and i buy another one they will match perfectly. Also didnt kmiller try and microwave/burn one and it took forever? your also paying for those magic flame retardant materials  :)
sell out and eat ass

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 15:12:02 »
Also didnt kmiller try and microwave/burn one and it took forever? your also paying for those magic flame retardant materials  :)

Microwave resistant materials. It succumbed to the flames with ease.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:29:04 »
We need an artisan cap stress test with heat, cold, water, acid, drop, cat, and flame. If I had a video camera I'd sacrifice one of each artists offerings to shoot a video like that.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:34:39 »
We need an artisan cap stress test with heat, cold, water, acid, drop, cat, and flame. If I had a video camera I'd sacrifice one of each artists offerings to shoot a video like that.

Does your phone not record video?

l might buy you a camera to see you stress test your OG clack  :))

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:39:44 »

Does your phone not record video?

l might buy you a camera to see you stress test your OG clack  :))

It does record video, but not for very long. Like 10second clips.

And the OG would be far away in a bunker when this testing goes down :))
Probably would use an F2 for this.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:43:44 »
My BroBot V2 passed the cat bite test.  No scratches.  Scared the crap out of me, but no damage. :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:45:17 by naasfu »
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:45:17 »
My BroBot V2 passed the cat bite test.  No scratches.

plot twist, you turn around, cat grabs it and runs away, hides it in the litter box :eek:

Offline Belfong

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:57:27 »
My BroBot V2 passed the cat bite test.  No scratches.  Scared the crap out of me, but no damage. :)
The metal bro or plastic bro? :D

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 16:59:38 »
plot twist, you turn around, cat grabs it and runs away, hides it in the litter box :eek:

I could spot glow in the dark, bright pink cat poop from a mile away.

The metal bro or plastic bro? :D

Plastic.  My cat likes to bite on things.  She broke two teeth from biting I don't know what.  Probably something metal.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:17:13 »
There's a very Eastern (I believe Japanese, primarily) way of thinking towards devoting tons of energy and intense focus on what, at the surface, seems to be a very simple thing. However, the reason for such focus is the pursuit of absolute perfection. This is why you see things like sushi, samurai swords, etc. (very stereotypical, but for a reason) that are extremely stripped down and simple in design, but are crafted to incredible, nearly incomprehensible levels of quality, and within that, *extremely* complex detail.

For an easy way to grasp this concept, watch the Jiro Dreams of Sushi documentary. Literally lifetimes dedicated to a small piece of uncooked fish on top of (nearly) plain rice (with minor garnishes).

This is in contrast to more Western thinking around ornate-ness, detail, elaborate complexity.

Something to think about when considering different artistic styles, whether keycaps or otherwise. Different pursuits of quality.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:42:54 »
For an easy way to grasp this concept, watch the Jiro Dreams of Sushi documentary. Literally lifetimes dedicated to a small piece of uncooked fish on top of (nearly) plain rice (with minor garnishes).

I second this recommendation, if only because it's a surprisingly compelling documentary.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:59:54 »
because yolo

/thread
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 18:01:20 »
because #vintage

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 02:24:30 »
Because China.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 03:40:33 »
Because bees

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 23:06:43 »
Because

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 14:11:33 »
There's a very Eastern (I believe Japanese, primarily) way of thinking towards devoting tons of energy and intense focus on what, at the surface, seems to be a very simple thing. However, the reason for such focus is the pursuit of absolute perfection. This is why you see things like sushi, samurai swords, etc. (very stereotypical, but for a reason) that are extremely stripped down and simple in design, but are crafted to incredible, nearly incomprehensible levels of quality, and within that, *extremely* complex detail.

This is in contrast to more Western thinking around ornate-ness, detail, elaborate complexity.

Something to think about when considering different artistic styles, whether keycaps or otherwise. Different pursuits of quality.

Oh god I might have just gotten the most ridiculous idea for some custom keycaps.
c h e r

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 14:22:05 »

Oh god I might have just gotten the most ridiculous idea for some custom keycaps.

Sushi caps™?
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 14:40:29 »
I'm down for anything sushi :D

Offline cherpalla

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 16 April 2014, 16:05:59 »

Sushi caps™?

^_^ kawaii desu ne
c h e r