Author Topic: The Living Soldering Thread  (Read 1855102 times)

Offline dragonxx21

Re: The Living Soldering Thread
« Reply #1200 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 18:56:45 »
I don't know if this belongs here on in Great Finds, but this is specific to soldering, so I'll post it here.

From B+D Enterprises:

For a limited time, we're giving away a free Hakko Waterless Tip Cleaner (item 599B - retail value $9.47) with every order over $25. Don't forget, we're also having a sale of 15% off all Hakko items for a few more days as well. Well, isn't that a coincidence?

Hakko FX888D Digital Soldering Station

$77.65 plus shipping for a Hakko FX-888D and a 599B waterless tip cleaner. I've purchased from B+D before, and I can recommend them without reservation.

Show Image
Show Image

For the other Canadians that would have been interesting to get this soldering station but considered the shipping too much, well I contacted their support today (after I got a mail from their sales cause I had left my cart with something in it) and they should come back to me tomorrow if they find a cheaper way to send it. I will post the answer tomorrow! "crossing fingers" that they manage to find something more interesting than 35$!

Just got the answer that 35$ is the cheapest option for the station.

Yeah, the days of cheap international shipping from the US are definitely over.

I guess the USPS has never heard of NAFTA. :P

Yea, sadly, they were over just by the time I discovered buying online...

On another note, The B+D sales "automatically" sent me a mail giving me a 5% rebate because my order was still in the cart and I had not bought it yet. I might pull the trigger even with 35$ shipping since anyway it's still the best option to get one. If one of you is interested in one, try to put it in your cart and leave it there for a few days!  :cool:
If you are interested, I know of a place selling the FX888D for $110 shipped inside Canada.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #1201 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 19:07:55 »
I don't know if this belongs here on in Great Finds, but this is specific to soldering, so I'll post it here.

From B+D Enterprises:

For a limited time, we're giving away a free Hakko Waterless Tip Cleaner (item 599B - retail value $9.47) with every order over $25. Don't forget, we're also having a sale of 15% off all Hakko items for a few more days as well. Well, isn't that a coincidence?

Hakko FX888D Digital Soldering Station

$77.65 plus shipping for a Hakko FX-888D and a 599B waterless tip cleaner. I've purchased from B+D before, and I can recommend them without reservation.

Show Image
Show Image

For the other Canadians that would have been interesting to get this soldering station but considered the shipping too much, well I contacted their support today (after I got a mail from their sales cause I had left my cart with something in it) and they should come back to me tomorrow if they find a cheaper way to send it. I will post the answer tomorrow! "crossing fingers" that they manage to find something more interesting than 35$!

Just got the answer that 35$ is the cheapest option for the station.

Yeah, the days of cheap international shipping from the US are definitely over.

I guess the USPS has never heard of NAFTA. :P

Yea, sadly, they were over just by the time I discovered buying online...

On another note, The B+D sales "automatically" sent me a mail giving me a 5% rebate because my order was still in the cart and I had not bought it yet. I might pull the trigger even with 35$ shipping since anyway it's still the best option to get one. If one of you is interested in one, try to put it in your cart and leave it there for a few days!  :cool:
If you are interested, I know of a place selling the FX888D for $110 shipped inside Canada.

Thx for the offer, but, unless I get a surprise at checkout, it should be cheaper with B+D since they have a 15% off and I got an additional 5% offer. Even with the shipping it should be around 100$ shipped, maybe 105 at most. And ebay has some for that price too. But if I need it I will pm you!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1202 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 19:24:02 »
I was curious about a rough cost/benefit analysis for the Hakko desoldering gun.

a. Let's say that the going rate to desolder a full-size keyboard is around $20 - excluding shipping costs.  [I'm basing this on GH listers posting rates of $40 to swap switches...]

b. B+D Enterprises has the Hakko 808 (Kit P) for $152.13 (after discounts, and I think free shipping is an option)

So is it a reasonable assumption that if I eventually desolder a total of eight keyboards, at that point it will become cheaper to buy a Hakko 808 than to pay someone to do this for me?  Or is my math completely off?

I'm leaning towards getting the 808, an extra tip and a holder. Just need to decide which holder.

And if you put stuff in your cart and let it sit they send that extra 5% coupon.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1203 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 19:29:34 »
wow, another 5%? methinks someone overstocked on hakko goods ;)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1204 on: Thu, 19 September 2013, 19:39:24 »

The biggest decision is do i stay with the 888 or go all in for the 888d.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1205 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 00:04:22 »
not worth it unless you need to calibrate for some reason

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1206 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 00:05:49 »

The biggest decision is do i stay with the 888 or go all in for the 888d.

I got the D cheaper than the normal one, so I got the D.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #1207 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 02:02:51 »

Well ****... this just makes things harder :)) Let's see if they send me this extra 5% off coupon.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1208 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 10:30:44 »
binge, the 808 fits quick well in the 633. it is, of course, very bulky at the rear, but the front slots in perfectly.

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1209 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 10:38:31 »
I got the D cheaper than the normal one, so I got the D.

Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1210 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 10:45:59 »
binge, the 808 fits quick well in the 633. it is, of course, very bulky at the rear, but the front slots in perfectly.

clearly I need to edit my avatar haha

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1211 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 11:07:48 »
ahahahaha i just noticed that

Offline Grobalo

« Reply #1212 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 11:20:37 »
Hi,

I also plan to buy the Hakko FX 888D + 808. I can't find these in europe, and the -15% almost covers the $55 shipping costs.

Code: [Select]
Hakko FX888D Digital Soldering Station $91.35
Hakko 7-SA Tweezer $5.17
Hakko 808-KIT/P Desoldering Kit $178.98
Hakko 599B-02 Waterless Tip Cleaner $0.00

Subtotal $275.50
Discount (Free 599B with any order over $25, 15% off all Hakko Products) -$41.33
Shipping & Handling (International Shipping - International Flat Rate) $54.95
Tax $0.00
Grand Total $289.12

But they don't have the Hakko 900M-T-1.6D tips jdcarpe recommended :(

I'll wait 2 days, I hope i'll also get the -5% deal :p

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1213 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 11:31:14 »

I only recommend those for the Yihua 936. :)

For a Hakko FX-888D, you want T18-D16 tips. (which I also think they don't have lol)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Grobalo

« Reply #1214 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 12:39:34 »

For a Hakko FX-888D, you want T18-D16 tips. (which I also think they don't have lol)

If both tips are compatible with both soldering stations, may I ask why is one tip better for the first station and the other one better for the second station?

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #1215 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 14:35:56 »
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the Hakko 888D. And cutters and flux remover and a cable, why not!

At least, that's a long term investment (gotta justify it someway).

Btw, this B+D support is super nice. They answered my 3 mails in the last 2 days with some nice customer service!

Edit: And now I REALLY need to put my hands on a GH60 pcb!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Grobalo

« Reply #1216 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 15:01:48 »
Btw, this B+D support is super nice. They answered my 3 mails in the last 2 days with some nice customer service!

My country wasn't in their list (Luxemburg). I mailed them, I got an answer 13min later: their developer had updated the countries list :)

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1217 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 15:17:21 »
That tip that jd recommended to me shipped today. Can't wait. I need to attempt to fix my left control on my poker now that i've got more experience soldering. I probably need to pick up some flux.

Is there anything at radio shack worth getting?
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1218 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 15:18:13 »
That tip that jd recommended to me shipped today. Can't wait. I need to attempt to fix my left control on my poker now that i've got more experience soldering. I probably need to pick up some flux.

Panavise and a Brass Tip Cleaner.

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1219 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 15:26:45 »

Panavise and a Brass Tip Cleaner.

I meant in the way of flux.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1220 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 16:37:18 »

If both tips are compatible with both soldering stations, may I ask why is one tip better for the first station and the other one better for the second station?

They aren't compatible with both. The Yihua 936 is a clone of the Hakko 936, which is a totally different animal than the FX-888D.

The Hakko 936 uses a Hakko 907 iron, and 900M-T-xxx tips.

The Hakko FX-888D uses a Hakko FX-8801 iron, and T18-xxx tips.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1221 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 19:49:47 »
Has anyone used Nexxtech soldering irons and have any constructive (or not so constructive) criticism regarding them?
Keyboards Owned:

Offline Grobalo

« Reply #1222 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 07:37:55 »
They aren't compatible with both. The Yihua 936 is a clone of the Hakko 936, which is a totally different animal than the FX-888D.

The Hakko 936 uses a Hakko 907 iron, and 900M-T-xxx tips.

The Hakko FX-888D uses a Hakko FX-8801 iron, and T18-xxx tips.

Makes sense, thanks :)

Also, for beginners here is an interesting video guide
feature=share&list=TLW565TLU1NHI

It summarizes a lot of tips discussed in this thread.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 September 2013, 14:05:31 by Grobalo »

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #1223 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 10:28:27 »
Well, I finally pulled the trigger on the Hakko 888D. And cutters and flux remover and a cable, why not!

Looks like the B+D Hako sale is over.  I got a reminder that I'd left stuff in my shopping cart, logged in to see that the Hakko 808 listed with free solder scrubber, but no discount (or 5% discount coupon...).  Guess I waited too long!  (There was a note that I could save 13% if I ordered 200 units...   :eek: )

Their list price for the Hakko 808 is now within a couple of bucks of Amazon's price, and I get free 2-day shipping on Amazon, so that's probably the route I'll take. 

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1224 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 10:30:14 »

Looks like the B+D Hako sale is over.  I got a reminder that I'd left stuff in my shopping cart, logged in to see that the Hakko 808 listed with free solder scrubber, but no discount (or 5% discount coupon...).  Guess I waited too long!  (There was a note that I could save 13% if I ordered 200 units...   :eek: )

Their list price for the Hakko 808 is now within a couple of bucks of Amazon's price, and I get free 2-day shipping on Amazon, so that's probably the route I'll take. 

I think you can use coupon code 15OFF and the 5% they email you to still get 20% off.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1225 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 10:32:54 »
unless you plan on desoldering a LOT, i would recommend just going with a soldapullt. they're effective and an order of magnitude less money.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1226 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 10:37:57 »
unless you plan on desoldering a LOT, i would recommend just going with a soldapullt. they're effective and an order of magnitude less money.

But I want to desolder EVERYTHING :eek:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1227 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 10:39:27 »

If you get an 808, you WILL desolder everything.

To be honest, I love my 808, but it's a pain to drag that huge gun out for just a few joints, and I end up using the Soldapullt. :)

in memoriam

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1228 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 10:41:01 »

If you get an 808, you WILL desolder everything.

To be honest, I love my 808, but it's a pain to drag that huge gun out for just a few joints, and I end up using the Soldapullt. :)

Well I've got a few old monsters I want to desolder they have over 100 switches each. One isn't even mx but I want to experiment with it.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #1229 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 10:49:59 »
I've got a G80-3000 PCB that I want to add a plate to, the donor plate to come from another complete board.  And anotherr board I want to remove the PCB from to try a hardwiring project.  So I've got about 310 switches to desolder, plus 104 to solder back on.  I've done a dozen or so switches using the Radio Shack "Vacuum Desoldering Tool," plus braid to get some remaining solder out of the PCB holes, and it's been a painful process. 

The discount code did work, thanks!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1230 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 11:41:01 »
Desoldered 6 fullsize boards with a cheap desoldering iron designed like the soldapult but with an iron tip that melts the solder.

Someone want to save me and gift a 808 :p

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1231 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 13:40:06 »
Had my first experience with soldering yesterday. Well, first experience since I was in the 7th grade. I was using a cheap Weller 25W and the solder that came with it. I had a spare instrument tuner laying around so I attempted to completely desolder the pcb and then resolder it and pray it worked. It took a few hours to complete, but to my surprise, the thing actually worked after I put it back together! The pcb looked pretty bad after I was done with it; rosin residue was everywhere. Only problem was that the LEDs weren't working, and I'm unsure if it's because I put them in the wrong way, or if the heat just completely messed them up. All in all, it was a good experience, and the $20 iron held up pretty well.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1232 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 17:19:28 »
Got that new tip in today. Wow, what a difference. Glad I got it.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1233 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 17:37:46 »
Got that new tip in today. Wow, what a difference. Glad I got it.

:thumb:

in memoriam

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #1234 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 18:47:12 »
Desoldered 6 fullsize boards with a cheap desoldering iron designed like the soldapult but with an iron tip that melts the solder.

Someone want to save me and gift a 808 :p

Can you get 'em in India?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #1235 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 07:57:59 »
Got the Hakko 808 in yesterday, and tried it out for a few hours...   :-X

So far it's worked well on a new-ish G80-3000 PCB, desoldered all 104(?) switches in less than an hour.  Also desoldered some switches on a Televideo PCB and a Marquardt keyboard, these did not go as smoothly. 

The Futuba switches have thick pins, as they are also screws to hold the switch together, that plus the PCB is pretty thick as well made for slow going.  Solder would melt on the surface, engaging the vacuum pulled up most of it, but there was usually a residue left that I couldn't extract. 

The Marquardt board was better, but there they installed the switch diodes with one leg bent over and soldered flat, which meant I had to desolder them once, straighten out the wire, and desolder them a second time, with varying degrees of success. 

I left the 808 temp on the default setting, should I increase the temperature when working on these thicker PCBs?  Or is this a common issue with older solder?  Should I look into a really thin tip for the Hakko, to get down into the PCB holes?

I'm guessing the Marquardt and Televideo boards used lead solder, the G80 has a RoH sticker on it so I'm assuming it's lead-free. 

Offline Parak

« Reply #1236 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 10:35:22 »
I find the 808 gets plenty hot for leaded solder at nearly the lowest temp setting. However, for thicker pcbs and pins one should use a slightly higher temp setting. Usually the reason why solder is not extracted has to do with technique rather than temperature, though.

What I usually do is get a bit of solder on the tip first to make sure it's hot enough, then press firmly against the solder that I'm extracting at a 90 degree angle, and move the 808 in a circular motion against the pcb while holding the vacuum button. This wiggles the pin as well, making sure it doesn't get stuck against the side of the TH. If it's a difficult one, such as stranded wire lying flat or curved, or solder remaining in the hole, I add more solder to the joint, then extract again. You only want to use the thin 808 tips for small pins that are very tightly spaced - they are not for use inside of actual holes. Never use a tip that is either much larger than the TH pad or smaller - it should be about similar size, otherwise you will have too little or too much thermal mass, leading to bad results.

Some of the related Pace videos I linked earlier cover the solder vacuum extraction thoroughly - they were the ones that invented the concept after all!

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #1237 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 10:44:43 »
Thanks for the tips!  I'll try increasing the temp just a tad, and trying to perfect the circular desoldering technique.  I had been doing that on some of the pins, but managed to pull off three pads on the G80 PCB (keenly unfortunate since this is the one I'm planning on reusing).  The Marquardt and Televideo PCBs are mostly for practice.

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1238 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 10:54:46 »
I get to desolder 104 red switches today. Awww yiss.

I'm addicted.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline Parak

« Reply #1239 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 11:25:16 »
Thanks for the tips!  I'll try increasing the temp just a tad, and trying to perfect the circular desoldering technique.  I had been doing that on some of the pins, but managed to pull off three pads on the G80 PCB (keenly unfortunate since this is the one I'm planning on reusing).  The Marquardt and Televideo PCBs are mostly for practice.

You have to be in and out in 3 seconds or less, ideally, in order to not lift pads. For PCBs like G80, which are typically one sided and leaded, you want to use very low temperatures. Single sided pcbs only have the pad on one side, unconnected by plating to a pad on the other side like in double sided boards. This means that it's that much easier to lift it, and much easier to get a melt going since there's less copper and dissipative area.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1240 on: Thu, 26 September 2013, 12:56:08 »
i'm demoing our closest approximation to a "learn to solder" soldering pencil next week i believe courtesy edsyn. the goal behind this project will be to create an iron that teaches you how not to kill pads or make bad joints. i've realized that even though i keep recommending the 888d. it's an ideal iron for_me_, not necessarily for someone just getting into soldering. it is _really_ easy to break stuff with an 888d.

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1241 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 10:02:51 »
Got those 104 switches desoldered and deplated in just under an hour yesterday. Solder-sucking is an art.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1242 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 10:08:28 »
Got those 104 switches desoldered and deplated in just under an hour yesterday. Solder-sucking is an art.

What tool did you use? That's pretty good time! And yes, it definitely is an art.

in memoriam

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1243 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 10:10:19 »

What tool did you use? That's pretty good time! And yes, it definitely is an art.

Just a piston-style tube sucker from radioshack.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1244 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 14:24:24 »
I could desolder the diodes on it too... would take a lot longer than the switches did because the wires are bent onto the pads. I'd be saving $6 if I ever needed them. Is it worth it? Am I going to pull my hair out trying it?
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1245 on: Fri, 27 September 2013, 16:39:54 »
I could desolder the diodes on it too... would take a lot longer than the switches did because the wires are bent onto the pads. I'd be saving $6 if I ever needed them. Is it worth it? Am I going to pull my hair out trying it?
no and yes respectively.

Offline Grobalo

« Reply #1246 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 16:57:06 »

Well ****... this just makes things harder :)) Let's see if they send me this extra 5% off coupon.

For those who were interested in buying the Hakko fx888 from B+D. I emailed them, and in the end, it's unfortunatly not possible to combine discounts.

But I pointed them at this thread and we'll maybe get a special promotion:

Quote from: brian from bdent.com
Thanks again for shopping at B+D, we appreciate it. Based on your email I'll work on putting together a special promotion exclusive to the geekhack.org forum members. Look for that soon.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that they've added hakko T18-D* chisel tips to their shop!
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 September 2013, 17:03:13 by Grobalo »

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1247 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 16:58:18 »

For those who were interested in buying the Hakko fx888 from B+D. I emailed them, and in the end, it's unfortunatly not possible to combine discounts.

Thanks again for shopping at B+D, we appreciate it. Based on your email I'll work on putting together a special promotion exclusive to the geekhack.org forum members. Look for that soon.
This is an awesome thing to hear.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1248 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 17:14:50 »

EDIT: Forgot to mention that they've added hakko T18-D* chisel tips to their shop!

That is excellent work! Edsyn, now maybe Hakko via B+D. Maybe get mkawa to correspond further (He be good at wooing vendors)

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #1249 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 22:25:05 »
Excellent news on the FX-888!  Although I'm still learning on the Aoyue, I still keep eying that Hakko...

Desoldered the remaining switches on the Televideo PCB, even though I did tear off some pads in the process.

37264-0
37266-1
37268-2

Next step; practice soldering diodes for a hardwired keyboard.  Still waiting for the Teensy to arrive, while I'm waiting I'm planning to paint the plate, Retr0brite the case, lube the switches, etc. 

Got two more Televideo keyboards to experiment on, beautiful keycaps with zero wear.  Seller says they were stored on a shelf, never used.  Cases are yellowed, and they're dusty, but no signs of wear, so story could be true.