Author Topic: Keyboard Repair project: LZ-GH  (Read 44228 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Keyboard Repair project: LZ-GH
« on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 16:36:45 »
Final Update Here

I received a bent-in-mail LZ-GH today as a repair project, which I'm very excited about.  The keyboard is fully functional but has an unsightly bend in some of the parts.  My plan is to get it straightened out, probably re-anodize to cover the damaged finish, and to swap LEDs to a different color (they are currently red, and I'd like a combination of cyan and white most likely--I have those on the way).  The keyboard already has 62g vintage MX Blacks, which are among my favorite switches, so no complaints there :)

I figured it could be fun to document the transformation, as this is my first "Korean Custom", and I think it's an awesome keyboard.  I'm honestly very impressed by it.  First, the weight is surprisingly high.  I've read that it's ~5lbs, but it certainly feels extremely hefty.  Secondly, the LZ-GH "salmon red" is undeniably pink in person and is in no way "red" in any light I've looked at it.  I now understand how difficult it is to represent the color on photographs, as I have tried.  It invariably comes out too yellow/orange.  In person, in most lighting, the keyboard looks quite pink.  It's warmer pink than my pink Filco, but I'll take a photo of the two next to each other tomorrow in better light.  Anyway, I love the current color.  Sad that I will most likely be changing it to another--only because I won't be able to reproduce the current one exactly and because I might as well go for my favorite color :)

Initial photographs (please excuse the poor lighting)

You can see the bend quite clearly here

Beautiful color...  that I can't get to show up well.

After disassembling, the switch plate and the back steel plate snapped right back to their proper shape:

The top case and the riser "leg" are definitely going to need straightening

And two of the back corners of the top aluminum case also need some unbending / filling

Going to walk to my local auto body shops on Monday to get some opinions and quotes, as preferably the unbending of aluminum should be done after heating the aluminum to a certain temperature, or it can crack. 

I've learned from LZ that the aluminum alloy used for this keyboard is AL6061-T6, if anyone is curious.  This could be important for anodizing and heating.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 April 2014, 22:51:37 by Photoelectric »
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
Re: Keyboard Repair project: LZ-GH
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 16:41:11 »
Good luck :) if anything fails can still make use of the plate/pcb and bottom ;3
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 16:41:31 »
Good luck!
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 16:42:17 »
Thanks :)  I doubt it will "fail" as there's not much wrong with the keyboard other than the case.  It might not look as pretty as brand new, but it will still be fine.  But... I do hope to make it look perfect in the end!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 16:54:34 »
I'm mad at you Photoelectric. Why did you have to tell me it's 6061? That's so cool. I'm totally nerding out over the material choice now. Damn my engineering self and wanting the keyboard based on material selection! :P

In other news, I'm pretty stoked to see how you get it bent into shape. Can you try and take pictures of the shop at work? I know it's a lot to ask but I had to :P

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 16:56:42 »
Good luck!
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 16:59:26 »
I'm mad at you Photoelectric. Why did you have to tell me it's 6061? That's so cool. I'm totally nerding out over the material choice now. Damn my engineering self and wanting the keyboard based on material selection! :P

In other news, I'm pretty stoked to see how you get it bent into shape. Can you try and take pictures of the shop at work? I know it's a lot to ask but I had to :P

6061 is pretty common, ya know...
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 16:59:49 »
good luck, a really amazing project
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 17:01:30 »
Excited :)
I love Elzy

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 17:02:04 »
Yeah, sure, I'll try to document it.  Unless someone helps me do it and shoos me out of the area until it's done.  I've tried bending the steel leg, but it's so thick, I couldn't do much.  It's also a bit springy, as is normal for stainless steel, so I'd bend it slightly, which I can feel, and it'd just snap back into the bent shape.  Really needs some STRONG vice and more force than I can apply myself.  The aluminum top I'm reluctant to try fixing myself because there are really a lot of things that need to be done for it.  The corners, the vertical bend, and the slight horizontal deformation at the bend location along the front.

We'll see.  I've gotten in touch with an anodizing shop in the area (2 hours by public transportation, boo), and a guy I spoke with was quite nice.  They have some generic color selection like gold, red, blue, green, black, gray.  I've asked if they can mix custom colors, and he said yes :)  I'll be going for some shade of teal.  I'll bring some color samples with me when I go there for a consultation.  First I need to take care of the straightening!
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 October 2013, 17:04:53 by Photoelectric »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 17:06:45 »
Oooh, this is most interesting.  Excited to see how you do with the repair!

Also, now you have a much better idea of the color!   :p

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 17:11:29 »
Hooked.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 20:27:03 »
6061-t6 = the highest common quality of aluminum. there is a HUGE difference between aluminum alloys folks. 5000 series is crap, the 6000 series is considered entry-level for aerospace applications and mostly used for non-critical parts IF used at all. 7000 series is aerospace grade. 6061 is the alloy t6 refers to the heat treatment. i believe there are only subtle differences between t6 heat treatment and t651, which you'll sometimes see substituted for t6 in the same parts line; both to me, are excellent aluminum stock. cptbadass would have more to say about this.

i have gotten 5000 parts before when i expected 6061, and the difference in both hardness and other material properties is easily fungible. 5000 is both cheaper, significantly weaker, but much easier and cheaper to machine, as well as purchase. many of the "aluminum keyboard cases" you're seeing from vendors are cheaper alloys. LZ is a fantastic machinist, frankly, and does not cheap out. With all respect to LZ, I would put Hammer a step above him; to me, hammer is a god of metalworking, period. i believe boost has specced his case for 6061, but he's free to correct me -- i'm almost certain that it's 6000 series.

one fantastic thing about the higher spec aluminums is that elongation at break, a measure of how much fatigue a metal can be subject to before it literally breaks, is MUCH higher as you go up the chain, and you will probably see that when photoelectric gets this case straightened. a weaker alloy would probably already have broken/fractured from the stresses on it.

you can also see the effect of the hard anodize and the heat treatment in how damned good the finish still looks, even after all the abuse it suffered. that is a very hard and relatively thick aluminum oxide surface layer on there to go through that much abuse and still shine like that. huge props to LZ for making a baller case.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 20:28:28 »
also, as i said at keycon, i for one really like the salmon color.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 20:37:11 »
also, as i said at keycon, i for one really like the salmon color.

Me too.  It's an awful red, but it's a nice color.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 20:41:43 »
Its proper name is Wine Red, I believe, which is accurate to me.  It looks like red wine was spilled over bare aluminum.  I like it.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 20:42:44 »
interesting! i agree. fwiw i think it look as snazzy and cultured as that sentence implies.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 20:57:09 »
mkawa, you mentioned hard anodizing.  I was under the impression that these finishes were not hard-anodized, unless specifically indicated.

Is there anything specific that I should know to ask at the anodizing place when I bring in the cover?  I plan on telling them the aluminum alloy code name and the color I'd like to achieve, as well as lightness and transparency.  I'll have a look at their samples in person, and if hard-anodizing is an option for this alloy, I'd definitely go for it.

The person I spoke with said they can do some filling of the dents I've described.  I need to research just in case, which fillers look decent under color coats.  Thankfully, the dents are mostly out of sight.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 21:10:39 »
anodize vs hard anodize is just the RMS depth of the anodization. the longer you leave it in the anodization tub, the deeper the oxidization layer creeps. the only way that i know of to really tell whether it's an anodize or hard anodize is either to use some high energy physics techniques (i have been told that an electron beam spectrometer would can do things like this, but this as you know is not really my field) it or to do a rockwell style hardness/depth test that is destructive. the nice thing is that the latter has already been done, though not exactly in a controlled environment, and i'd say it passed whatever test with flying colors ;).

anyway, if you reanodize, definitely ask for a hard anodize. there are a couple of ways to hard anodize. i believe the easiest is just to leave it in the acid bath for longer. the quicker-cycle-time-way is to either apply more voltage differential or like, crap, i can't really remember but i did read something that involved a chemical rx. hard anodizing is an option for any alloy; when it comes down to it it's really just a matter of how long it takes to achieve a deeper coating, and the harder and less porous the alloy + treatment is, the longer you have to leave it in or higher you have to set the differential (and i actually don't know whether higher differentials are achieved chemically or via an actual cathode and anode on either side of the tub/object-to-be-anodized assembly.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 21:18:03 »
Thanks--I'll discuss this with the Anodizing shop!  I am worried that hard anodizing dulls the finish, as on case photographs, whenever I see hard anodized gray, it's always rather opaque and matte.  Something I'll read about tomorrow.  I'd like to get a similarly transparent satin finish to the current Wine Red one.  I guess I'll just have to improvise with what will be available.  I got the feeling that the shop/factory doesn't deal with small orders often, as the guy I talked to did a bit of a pause when I brought up the keyboard case :)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 21:19:36 »
you can paint clear gloss coats over anodized aluminum. it looks REALLY GOOD.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 21:22:36 »
Hard anodising doesn't make it matte necessarily.. It all depends on what kind of finish (polishing/bead blasting) you get before the anodising.
github

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 21:28:06 »
but the one thing to remember is that anodized aluminum just looks like aluminum oxide with pigment in it. it is NEVER going to look glossy. if you want gloss you need to add a glossy material to it or very likely polish it (but not so much that you cut through the anodization and pigment layer). the preferred method to get gloss + anodization is to hard anodize and then powdercoat with a clear gloss polyester refraction/reflection modifier coat that is thin but not too thin.

note that charge, again, determines how thick a powdercoating layer is. powdercoating involves grounding your metal object, then shooting highly charged fine polymer powders at it. by highly charged i mean 1-100kV. obviously you're going to get more of the powder to stick to the grounded object at 100kv than at 1kv.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 21:30:40 »
what photekq is referring to is that you can polish then anodize. when what you get is a polished aluminum look (which because of porousness etc. will always look a little matte). powdercoating can give you a serious gloss, much better than metal treatment will get you. note that high end car wheel finishes _always_ end with a powder. this is why. paint-like gloss requires paint.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 21:34:27 »
Also, if you get a very fine & smooth bead blasted finish it'll look matte. If you get a more textured finish then it will usually look more shiny/less matte.
github

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 21:40:21 »
Alright, so to get a mental image of what you're saying, is the current finish on LZ-GH clear powder-coated in a thin layer over anodizing?  Or is the shine purely a result of the coarse aluminum surface (not a matte surface to start with).  These are all good points to bring up when I bring in my case for service.  Thank you for tossing random bits of information at me :). I assume they will dissolve the current finish and will coat over pure aluminum alloy without altering the surface.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 22:05:30 »
they'll probably give you the option of bead blasting or dissolving the current anodization layer off. that's my guess anyway. i mean if you're going to blast it you might as well start blasting the hard stuff. ammonia to dissolve the oxidization layer and then a bead blast would give you much more loss of dimension. however, what photekq is suggesting for a mate finish would work really well that way. basically you would dissolve the AlO2, then take a super fine grit of glass bead like 300-ish, and lightly blast the surface, almost like a polish. low pressure, fine beads. almost like wetsanding to 4-800 grit carbide.

if you're going to try for a glossy anodize, and a coarse grit bead blast, i'd just blast with like a 50-60 grit bead on the existing AlO2. It's easy to tell when the AlO2 layer is gone because the color will leave the surface. personally, i've never seen a good glossy anodize that approaches a gloss powder though.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 22:07:22 »
Anodization is a process that changes the surface of the part; it increases the oxidation layer on the outside of the case. In order to reanodize, you'll be literally grinding a layer of the surface off to get rid of that oxidation layer then dipping it back into the bath in order to get a new coating. And it's a dye added to anodization process that creates the color. I don't think it's powdercoated at all.

And the difference between T6 and T651 is how the metal is stress relieved in the tempering process mkawa. T6 is cold worked by flattening or straightening. T651 cold worked by stretching.

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 22:12:03 »
Anodization is a process that changes the surface of the part; it increases the oxidation layer on the outside of the case. In order to reanodize, you'll be literally grinding a layer of the surface off to get rid of that oxidation layer then dipping it back into the bath in order to get a new coating. And it's a dye added to anodization process that creates the color. I don't think it's powdercoated at all.

And the difference between T6 and T651 is how the metal is stress relieved in the tempering process mkawa. T6 is cold worked by flattening or straightening. T651 cold worked by stretching.

I thought I read somewhere you can remove old anodizing by leaving the item in a bucket of caustic soda, much the same as you would prep it for anodizing? Probably would need a polish after that anyway though.

Great looking project, hope it can be restored. Although I am surprised you don't leave the unbending to the experts... the postal service. Put it in a parcel upside down and send it to yourself via the other side of the world, and hope they can be as precise as they were last time, in reverse.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 22:13:04 »
This photo shows what I mean when I talk about a more rough bead blasted finish.

It isn't a glossy finish. It isn't matte either. It's just kinda shiny, it has texture to it. Most LZ cases are like this.
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 22:17:17 »
I thought I read somewhere you can remove old anodizing by leaving the item in a bucket of caustic soda, much the same as you would prep it for anodizing? Probably would need a polish after that anyway though.

Great looking project, hope it can be restored. Although I am surprised you don't leave the unbending to the experts... the postal service. Put it in a parcel upside down and send it to yourself via the other side of the world, and hope they can be as precise as they were last time, in reverse.

LMAO, that's one way to do it eh?

I have no idea about the caustic soda. The way I understand it is once it's anodized, it's a mechanical process to get the oxidized layer off.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 12 October 2013, 22:21:33 »
When I did some quick reading yesterday, it's apparently possible to dissolve the anodized layer by submerging / spraying it with some caustic liquids: something like Greased Lighting, where you coat the surface then wait and just scrub with a brush.  That's just one example.  Though I suppose results vary based on aluminum alloy and anodizing variety.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:04:50 »
Some places were open today (Columbus Day holiday), so I visited them--all auto body shops.  Unfortunately they don't really do the sort of aluminum repair I'm looking for and referred me to machine shops instead.  I've called a few of those, but most are closed today.  One metalwork shop was open, and the guy I spoke with sounded receptive when I described the parts and the damage; said to stop by tomorrow to see what can be done.  There are a bunch more in the area too for aluminum repair / metalwork / machine shop work which I'll have to consult.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:12:27 »
Presumably it was bent due to longtime spent under high pressure? Can you no recreate this? Obviously you would need to spread out the weight load, but sheet of wood/base metal (presumably some fabric to avoid scratches) Then just pile on weight. If you happen to have a full sized pool/snooker table to hand they're great (British pubs!)

Just my ghetto thoughts.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 12:28:35 »
At the last car repair shop I went to, the guy I spoke with could not believe such damage was done in the mail.  He was like "it must have been like that already before it was shipped" haha.  And at another shop, a guy said that the steel leg is so thick, it can lift a car; he was amazed it could be bent like that during shipping.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 13:25:59 »
When I did some quick reading yesterday, it's apparently possible to dissolve the anodized layer by submerging / spraying it with some caustic liquids: something like Greased Lighting, where you coat the surface then wait and just scrub with a brush.  That's just one example.  Though I suppose results vary based on aluminum alloy and anodizing variety.
ammonia dissolves aluminum oxide, which is the most of the anodization layer. the thing is that you're going to have to blast or polish before you reanodize regardless, so i don't know if it's worth trying to dissolve the oxidated pigmented layer. just blast it off and prep the underlying metal at the same time.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 13:45:13 »
At the last car repair shop I went to, the guy I spoke with could not believe such damage was done in the mail.  He was like "it must have been like that already before it was shipped" haha.  And at another shop, a guy said that the steel leg is so thick, it can lift a car; he was amazed it could be bent like that during shipping.
Eh its believable.  Pallets weighing a ton or more getting thrown on top of it.  **** happens.

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 13:47:41 »
GLWR! **** China Post

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 14 October 2013, 18:35:28 »
Most probably won't care for this bit of trivia, but I was quite puzzled by the "Wine Red" color of LZ-GH (often called "salmon").  I was deciding on a color of another LZ keyboard a while ago, and Wine Red was one of the options.  I did not select it, thinking it was really going to be warm salmon-like.

So here are some photos of this color, which turned out to be more pink than red or salmon (salmon is usually more orange).  The Ducky wrist rest is deep red.  Next to pink Filco and some other red white things.  Please keep in mind that it's still turning out to be more "salmon" on the photographs than it looks in person due to indoor lighting. 

So I think calling it "red wine" over aluminum is accurate.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 08:57:58 »

among items that we would be interested in: probably, but in general: certainly not!
For "consumer" goods, 6061 is only often used in flashlights, otherwise it's mainly used in aerospace and a few other industries. Even 1000 series (pure, non alloyed) aluminium are probably more common.

Photoelectric, I would call it a semi matte finish from your pictures. Looks excellent!
---
For materials nerds in this topic: heating it while re-bending is an excellent idea as it'll anneal it somewhat (grain growth, etc) and make it more ductile, but less hard. it will probably dent more easily in the middle no matter what do you. Don't drop your rail spike collection on it!

that's 'cause it would take a stupid amount of force to plastically deform the case,  and even more for the case + that thick steel bar foot.

Thanks for this cool topic! I hope you can find a place that can accurately bend it back (or get it close enough that you wont notice)

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 10:17:58 »

among items that we would be interested in: probably, but in general: certainly not!
For "consumer" goods, 6061 is only often used in flashlights, otherwise it's mainly used in aerospace and a few other industries. Even 1000 series (pure, non alloyed) aluminium are probably more common.

I eat my words.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:04:53 »
Called a few machine shops in the area, and yikes, they are expensive per hour!  Ended up taking the case parts to a nearby shop and left them there.  The guy who will be working on them will call me tomorrow or day after to pick them up.  He seemed to know what he was talking about and knew the aluminum alloy, so we'll see!  He also said that he's not too surprised by the damage, as he's seen similar.  Such as a 3/4" steel rod getting a deep dent/hole in it when shipped in a cardboard tube, and it looked like someone smashed it a number of times against something very hard.

Feeling a bit jittery, as I hate it when things are out of my hands, and I can't comment on whether the repairs are going well.  But I did explain that I want the top cover reanodized, so not adding any scratches would be much preferable, to which he agreed.

I guess we'll see soon how successful this shop will be!

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:06:24 »
Good luck! Looking forward to seeing how this comes out...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:10:06 »
gl with repairs!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 12:13:50 »
Thank you, I'm REALLY hoping the repairs will be successful.  Or I'll have to get post-repair-repairs =/  But someday this keyboard will be restored to its former glory!

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 13:23:55 »
gL looks to be a fun project to take on with a hopefully very promising result  :thumb:
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 13:32:09 »
Throw it in a fire. The color will be much improved, and you'll heat it up to bend it!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 13:41:32 »
Perhaps I should toss it into volcanic lava for some rejuvenation.  :p

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 15 October 2013, 13:42:55 »
Perhaps I should toss it into volcanic lava for some rejuvenation.  :p

You just might get the urge to do that before this process is over ;)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:47:35 »
Well, guys and gals, you are in for a surprise!

I know I was when I went to pick up the cover this morning.  To say that my jaw dropped is an understatement.  The metalworking guy is a veritable wizard!  The top cover and the support leg look near damn perfect--other than the two small dents in the back bottom corners of the top cover--not much to be done about those other than to fill them and file.

I don't know how he did it, as he was a really chatty guy and kept talking about other stuff. His work building is amazing (imagine a backyard large warehouse with a rooftop tomato garden and a roof over outdoor work space made like an upside-down skeleton of a ship, made of metal, with tarp stretched over it.  It was really something.  I love meeting artisans like that--you can tell it's his life and not just an 8-5 job.  And he's restoring a car that looks like it's from 1930s.

Anyway... here is what the cover looks like now.  Imagine that he did not even scratch the finish when doing all that straightening!

Other than the back corners and the SLIGHT ripple along the front (only visible when the light hits it JUST right), you can't tell that anything happened to that keyboard.  Basically from the front, it looks perfect if you don't scrutinize it by twisting it around near a window a bunch.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:49:39 by Photoelectric »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:50:51 »
Amazing job.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:52:54 »
No ****. Looks almost brand new. How much did it run you, if you don't mind my asking?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:53:05 »
This is voodooo!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:55:53 »
It was $85 =/  Not cheap, but I've called a few places in the area, and they were all charging around $85 per hour.  I am guessing the guy spent more than an hour, but he was very nice.  It's worth it though--just for the experience and of course to get this beautiful keyboard fixed up.

Meeting with an anodizing person tomorrow morning.  Need to urgently decide how to properly fill the corner dents.  Anodizing could be around $40, which is not too bad.  At least that's what I was quoted by phone.  I would not be surprised if they say it will be more because of X, Y, Z when I get there, in which case I may need to wait a bit.  Oh they also do hard anodizing and some other interesting finishes, but doesn't look like they use any interesting colors for those, other than standard gray / pewter varieties.  So we'll see--I'd probably go for the basic kind in a teal color.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 12:57:06 »
Very nice photo! Glad it worked out so far!!

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 15:43:35 »
Thank you for posting all the details with this and sharing your numbers. I think the keyboard turned out really well and I can't wait to see what you do with it next.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 15:46:57 »
holy ****...
I love Elzy

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 15:49:41 »
So awesome to see that you got it restored! What're you gonna do about those dents, marks? Is there any point getting them repaired?
github

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:02:29 »
I've been reading about filling the dents.  There are some metal-to-metal fillers that could be used.  Though perhaps even a better quality "bondo", since the dents are very small.  I've decided to not do anything to them until I show the keyboard to the anodizing people tomorrow.  Not that I could do much other than getting a quart of "Metal to Metal" filler from a supply shop in the area.  It's probably what I need, as it's been recommended in a couple of auto body places

I just don't want to pay $30-40 for a quart of it when I only need a tiny amount. 

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:28:27 »
I would think with anodizing, you wouldn't be able to use filler. It may be dissolved by the acid bath. Or if not, the anodizing would not do anything to the filler, and it would look weird. If you use filler to repair the dents, I would suggest powdercoating it, like Batmann did with his.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:30:26 »
I would think with anodizing, you wouldn't be able to use filler. It may be dissolved by the acid bath. Or if not, the anodizing would not do anything to the filler, and it would look weird. If you use filler to repair the dents, I would suggest powdercoating it, like Batmann did with his.

Right, that's why I haven't done anything. The anodizing person said to use metal-based fillers, so I guess it's possible to use *something*.  I just don't know what, so I'll wait until tomorrow to learn.  I'd rather live with two small dents at the bottom where they can't be easily seen and have an anodized case than no dents and a powdercoated case. 

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:31:26 »
The dents aren't even visible, right? Why not call it what it is and be done with it instead of spending just as much as buying a new one to get it back up to brand new specs?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:32:12 »
I was going to say what jd said, but you just seem to have clarified. Don't do what i usually do and grab some of internets right now because im so damn impatient. Then find out tomorrow it wont work.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:38:38 »
Just get it reanodized with the dents in, so that you can't see the warping anymore, and call it good. :D

My black LZ-GH has a dent in the corner by the cursor arrows, on the top of the case, and it doesn't really bug me. Seems pretty common for these to have dents. :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:54:20 »
The dents aren't even visible, right? Why not call it what it is and be done with it instead of spending just as much as buying a new one to get it back up to brand new specs?

I typed a long reply and then realized that it's not necessary.  The short answer is, I'm doing this for myself, and I want a certain color.  It's not about the dents that are really not that visible--I'm just trying to get them filled because I'm a perfectionist.  If it will cost an arm and a leg--I won't.  Normally I paint stuff myself, but I can't anodize in my kitchen (yet).  This project is not about monetary value or "spec".  Instead it is about a sentimental value of fixing something I appreciate and customize exactly to my liking.  And finally, no, it still won't cost me as much as a brand new unassembled LZ-GH kit.  I'd rather not bring up the clack parallel of how much something is worth to someone and what is justified, and what isn't.  But there, I did it anyway.

--
JD: I might end up doing that.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 16:56:39 »

I typed a long reply and then realized that it's not necessary.  The short answer is, I'm doing this for myself, and I want a certain color.  It's not about the dents that are really not that visible--I'm just trying to get them filled because I'm a perfectionist.  If it will cost an arm and a leg--I won't.  Normally I paint stuff myself, but I can't anodize in my kitchen (yet).  This project is not about monetary value or "spec".  Instead it is about a sentimental value of fixing something I appreciate and customize exactly to my liking.  And finally, no, it still won't cost me as much as a brand new unassembled LZ-GH kit.  I'd rather not bring up the clack parallel of how much something is worth to someone and what is justified, and what isn't.  But there, I did it anyway.

But you did bring it up (even though they're not quite parallel, huh?). :p

But I understand. I merely wondered aloud. Good luck.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 17:00:20 »
I brought it up because it looked like you were trying to say that what I'm doing is not worth it for practical reasons.  It is for me (but not because of the dents, because of the color)--and not for practical reasons.
P.S.: this is a DIY subforum.  To put it in perspective.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 October 2013, 17:02:02 by Photoelectric »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 17:30:34 »
So yep, from what I've been reading, all of the fillers I've looked up would be damaged by the sulfuric acid bath during the anodizing process, as JD has said.  That includes J-B Weld.  I don't know what the anodizing place was implying by using metal-based fillers.  I've looked up Everything that's been recommended to me so far as well as more I've found on-line.  Perhaps they meant an actual chunk of metal welded and shaped to cover a dent.  Thus filling the dents will be unlikely--unless I learn otherwise tomorrow--and filing to reshape is the probable plan for now (mostly for one of the dents--the other one is very small, and I wouldn't even do anything with it).

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 18:26:11 »
Suggestion #Binge: Just dent the crap out of it to get a uniform texture  :thumb:

I love what you've done with this, and I'm glad someone so cool got this project.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 18:42:40 »
Yeah, that could work :)

As usual, my camera fails with red LEDs...

(typed on the LZ-GH :D )  So glad it's usable again.  Missed having LEDs too, though perhaps not of this color.  It's amazing how quiet this keyboard is!!!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 18:48:18 »
Noooo! Taohao caps on that beautiful board!? Get some thick caps!
github

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 18:56:03 »
I don't have anything that has proper modifiers :(  And only one other spare set.  All of my keyboards have been standard ANSI.  I ordered my first tsangan kit a few days ago for this keyboard from the Hyper Fuse GB.  Though I think Semi-Solar will be perfect :)

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 19:44:12 »
Wow, I remember seeing this bent LZ-GH in the classifieds a few weeks ago.. Looks great, Photoelectric! Very jealous right now :thumb:

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 19:52:11 »
Wow, it looks amazing! I can't believe no harm was done to the finish.
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:04:13 »
holy ****!!?!?!?!? is that the same board really? that's AMAZING

it looks like the completely undamaged ones i saw at keycon

your guy is a straight up wizard, photoelectric!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:08:43 »
He really is... I can barely believe it myself.  I must have told him he was amazing at least 10 times :)  It's so awesome to meet people who just try their best and don't shy from difficult tasks.  He was the first person who said "sure, let's try it" when others just flat out said "no, can't be done".  I'm a lot like him, except he's got decades of experience and a warehouse full of tools and workbenches.  Was definitely worth it to just meet someone like that.  I've now met a few local artisans with family businesses while working on small custom projects (such as when I was constructing large vivariums out of IKEA furniture and needed glass cut to size, etc.)
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:10:41 by Photoelectric »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:11:49 »
That's quite the transformation

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:12:59 »
Yeah.. I really am impressed with that work. Wizardry indeed..

Those are 1000000000% not taohao caps.
I am 99% sure those are taohao. Back me up/prove me wrong Photo! :-*
github

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:13:27 »
They are--just horrible color reproduction because of the red LEDs.  My camera just chokes with red LED backlight no matter what white balance I select and any amount of post processing :(

More

P.S.: Tai Hao red caps are actually a pretty good set for the Wine Red LZ-GH.  Not the same shade, but they go well together.  But I don't have a complete set for it anyway.  Complete sets will have 1.5x modifiers and 7x spacebars.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:20:32 by Photoelectric »

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:16:35 »

I don't see where I ever said that.  No, in fact, my eyes are not being shifty because I enlarged pic after post and saw that the backspace looked nothing like I thought it was and then edited my post quickly.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:18:31 »
 :))
github

Offline elton5354

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:18:48 »

I'm pretty sure they're not taohao caps, but they are Tai Hao caps.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:22:23 »
Crap. I always get that wrong.. Tai Hao, taohao, taobao, all so confusing..
github

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:25:57 »
mumble mumble cl1481? how's that going?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #84 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:27:49 »
I haven't had time to do anything on that front yet, but I'll hurry up if that's preferable!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:34:12 »
mumble mumble cl1481? how's that going?

You needed a beta tester?

in memoriam

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:52:52 »
So glad this had a happy ending!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #87 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:55:55 »
Wow!! Great job!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #88 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 20:58:20 »
I can't take any credit for the fixing, other than the organizing and negotiating and calling a dozen and a half different places.  I realized the repair work was more than I could handle myself.  I can swap LEDs and paint, but metal bending is not my strength :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 October 2013, 21:00:49 by Photoelectric »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 21:03:01 »
I can't take any credit for the fixing, other than the organizing and negotiating and calling a dozen and a half different places.  I realized the repair work was more than I could handle myself.  I can swap LEDs and paint, but metal bending is not my strength :)

You did the right thing, bending something to that extent without the proper tools would've ended in an injury or further damage to the board :D
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 21:26:33 »
I haven't had time to do anything on that front yet, but I'll hurry up if that's preferable!
yes, please!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 21:30:49 »
yes, please!

Got it!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #92 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 21:47:29 »
I wanna get that LZ-GH anodized so badly... let me know if you sell it ;)

you probably won't though :D was your project. a great and successful one at that
I love Elzy

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 21:53:06 »
I know you love teal things as much or nearly as much as I do--you'll be the first to know if I do ever decide to pass it on :)  But I'm just too excited to have it for it to happen soon.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #94 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 16:16:15 »
*GASP* anodizing-free

All shiny and white.  Looked pretty cool.

Not much to report--I got to the anodizing place rather late, since it took me over an hour longer to get there than I had anticipated, and I did not leave early.  So I just had time to play with some color options and plan how to finish it on Monday.  Going to have to come up with some hooks to be able to hold the cover for dying without touching it.  I'm thinking longer bolts that go into the bottom of the cover where the switch plate normally screws in.  Attach nuts to those and fashion hooks or loops to pull some metal string through.  Basically touching anodized aluminum in any way before dying it can result in uneven color, hence trying to avoid it entirely is good.

They don't have any light initial colors, but I liked the semi-transparent combination of blue and green.  Actually just plain clear anodizing looked awesome too.  It was a slightly milky white-gray--very nice effect. 

So I'm going to continue thinking about how to fashion something useful to hang the cover from, and will hopefully have more to report on Monday ;)

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 16:35:55 »
*GASP* anodizing-free

Show Image

Not much to report--I got to the anodizing place rather late, since it took me over an hour longer to get there than I had anticipated, and I did not leave early.  So I just had time to play with some color options and plan how to finish it on Monday.  Going to have to come up with some hooks to be able to hold the cover for dying without touching it.  I'm thinking longer bolts that go into the bottom of the cover where the switch plate normally screws in.  Attach nuts to those and fashion hooks or loops to pull some metal string through.  Basically touching anodized aluminum in any way before dying it can result in uneven color, hence trying to avoid it entirely is good.

They don't have any light initial colors, but I liked the semi-transparent combination of blue and green.  Actually just plain clear anodizing looked awesome too.  It was a slightly milky white-gray--very nice effect. 

So I'm going to continue thinking about how to fashion something useful to hang the cover from, and will hopefully have more to report on Monday ;)

Thanks for the update! Looking good so far

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 16:39:16 »
*GASP* anodizing-free

Show Image

Have you decided how to fill the cracked parts? (or whatever detached part)

I am trying to find a sure proof way to fill in small scratches.
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #97 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 16:40:51 »
No, you can't really fill it with anything other than metal, I think.  The acid bath will eat away at most fillers.  I haven't found anything that will hold.  However, after a test clear anodizing, the dents look really nice, after I smoothed them out.  As in barely noticeable.  Part of why they were noticeable before was the color and texture differential.  Acid bath and reanodizing smooths a lot of that out and makes the color uniform.  They are located on the inner bottom corners, facing diagonally down, so basically after all that, you can't see them unless you focus on them.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #98 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 16:53:04 »
I had no idea you could de-anodize something. Learn something new everyday.

Really love this project Photoelectric. Thanks for doing this "master class" for us.  :p

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 17:15:04 »
ooooh, raw polished 6061. love it!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 20:10:20 »
Oh I forgot I had made this.  Found a bad potato of our quick color test before I left the shop.  Going to be remade on Monday when I bring some modified bolts to suspend the cover from, as we had trouble with that (you might see a thick wire through the mini USB port hole that the cover hung from--not ideal  :))

39821-0

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 11:38:30 »
I got all excited seeing that the PCB supports standard ANSI layout ...and then remembered that the plate doesn't.  Oh well.

Red LEDs out!

39883-0

Switches de-greased, and de-stickered!

39885-1

I hope my incoming LEDs will be less bright.  Keeping 1.2kOhm resistors might be good in the end, instead of swapping to ~800 Ohm LEDs for 3-3.2V LEDs, as the current red LEDs were a tad too bright for my comfort.  I normally keep backlight at the lowest or second-to-lowest setting on backlit keyboards.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 October 2013, 11:40:26 by Photoelectric »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #102 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 12:28:46 »
What color are you going for? Teal?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 12:33:25 »
Yep!  I don't like the glossy red at all.

P.S.: These are the cyan LEDs I'm waiting for:

(will be combined with Warm White, which looks approximately like this in color:

« Last Edit: Sat, 19 October 2013, 13:23:00 by Photoelectric »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 10:40:51 »
So excited, the cover has been anodized, and the color is a deep rich satin teal - I love it!   :thumb:  On the way back now, and will add photos soon.  As a bonus, I got charged close to nothing for it by the extremely nice anodizing people. This project could not have  worked out any better!

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 10:46:35 »
So excited, the cover has been anodized, and the color is a deep rich satin teal - I love it!   :thumb:  On the way back now, and will add photos soon.  As a bonus, I got charged close to nothing for it by the extremely nice anodizing people. This project could not have  worked out any better!

Great success! Can't wait to see.  :eek:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 11:54:38 »
So during my road trip Photoelectric, I think that three people (jdcarpe, tjcaustin, and mashby) asked us if we saw this project. Since neither Dorkvader or I were really reading GeekHack, I only saw this like last night. It looks incredible and I'm looking forward to seeing your anodization results :D.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 13:20:42 »
Please allow me to introduce this color.  I have a history of going to the Black Sea as a child, and it impressed a lot of fond memories on me--the dirty yellowish deep blue-green water.  That color, has remained one of my favorites, and it is approximately the color of this LZ-GH--as it is in my memory.  I was there for the entire dying process after the anodizing was completed, so we gradually got to the color and intensity.  The lighting in the shop was horrendous, so I had to use a bunch of color reference pieces I had brought with me--and still, it's a nightmare to photograph and categorize, as it looks different in every room.

So here are some daylight photographs outside (plus one of the cover underside by a window)

Indoors, it is more gray, or more blue, or more green--strongly dependent on lighting.  Can even look dirty dark blue.  It's pretty interesting and mimics dark sea water pretty well.

I call this keyboard a great success!  It is now ready to be used, just waiting for new switch stickers (and LEDs, but those are traveling by snail-mail), and some proper sized modifiers >.>

P.S.: here's a shot in poor indoor lighting--this is how dark it can get (and can look more blue-gray)

« Last Edit: Mon, 21 October 2013, 13:48:12 by Photoelectric »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 13:27:08 »
beutifull!!

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 13:38:23 »
wow beautiful restoration job photoelectric! really impressive work here! =)
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 13:43:27 »
So much good going on in this thread.  Love the new color. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Batmann

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 14:13:58 »
amazing job Photo,
when I first saw the damaged board I really wouldn't have expected such a great result
When mine got damaged I though the only way to fix it was to fill the dent and powder coat it but  in the end anodizing still looks sharper
again congrats  :thumb:

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 14:16:22 »
 :thumb:
Pretty much sums it up ^
github

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 14:22:36 »
Thanks, guys.  Feeling terribly impatient about being able to use it, but it might take up to couple weeks until I have everything to reassemble the switches.  it's just sitting here next to me, taunting me :)  Probably putting in my Jailhouse Blues into it, after careful consideration.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 14:25:34 »
I rather like how the color seems to change depending on the lighting. Keeps the case looking very dynamic and different all the time, so it's interesting. That teal/green/blue color is amazing too ^__^.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 14:29:30 »
Thanks, guys.  Feeling terribly impatient about being able to use it, but it might take up to couple weeks until I have everything to reassemble the switches.  it's just sitting here next to me, taunting me :)  Probably putting in my Jailhouse Blues into it, after careful consideration.

what parts do you need?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 14:30:29 »
Waiting for some matching stickers from Mr. MOZ :)  Also no 7x spacebar.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 14:32:20 »

What color space bar? I might have an extra 7x lying around....if you wanted it!

If you just can't wait I've also got some silver stickers I believe... ;D
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 October 2013, 14:35:12 by SpAmRaY »

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 14:34:03 »

I remember soulfree was selling a set similar in color to the one you chose :).

Blue-green is also my favorite color although I prefer slightly brighter haha xD.
Keyboards:
Aripeko TKL

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 14:35:55 »
Ray: Anything really.  You have some from the "crap" bags?  I'd love to buy or rent one for a while.  Ordering tsangan sets from now on, but nothing until a couple of group buys go through.  Will send a PM!
---
Meiosis: That blue-green set is thin double-shot ABS by SP.  I don't like those, unfortunately.  Color-wise, you can see my Filco is already a turquoise color, so I went for something different :)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 23:35:16 »
Hey, who would have thought :D  Put some liquid car wax I already had from polishing some computer cases in the past (Meguiar's Carnauba Plus), let it dry, buffed with a terry towel... brought out some shine and added some color vibrancy :)  I can tell because the color is relatively dark in my bedroom, and it's a lot shinier and glowing now.  Also no longer a fingerprint magnet now :D
 :thumb:

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 08:36:18 »
Wow, congrats, you brought the life back into the keyboard.

Good job :D!

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 09:04:42 »
Holy crap....
all your efforts is amazing man, I've never seen someone has put so much love and effort into one thing for a long time
I dropped my jaw reading the whole process

thumbs up!
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline LONGZILLA

• ヽ(`Д´)ノ rawr
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 10:34:50 »
Thanks for sharing your adventure Photo, turned out amazing

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 10:41:34 »
Thanks, I got impatient and assembled the switches (currently stock vintage MX Blacks) to use for now.  Just got warm white LEDs in the mail today, still waiting for cyan.  As soon as those and new switch stickers arrive, I'll finish the transformation :)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 13:38:14 »
I finally got some "tsangan" blanks from Signature Plastics, so I can actually use the keyboard while I wait for some group buys to complete.  And because I love this keyboard so much, I decided to do another "photoshoot" today, trying to get the textures right.  So after a couple of chemical resurfacing sessions to reanodize (when the old anodizing layer was removed), the latest surface is a lot smoother and more matte, and actually looks more "brushed" now rather than grainy like it was before.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 14:20:33 »
That's absolutely amazing, I can't believe how well that turned out. Incredible work.

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 15:16:07 »
Extremely jealous. Each picture makes it look better and better..

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 15:20:41 »
That looks fantastic.  I seem to remember a case you painted a similar color.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 15:33:50 »
Yeah I did!
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44191.msg963401#msg963401

But that Filco ended up going to someone else, and it was re-painted to metallic black just before that.  My current remaining Filco is of a pearl turquoise color.  This LZ-GH was going to be a lighter teal, but the shop didn't have any fancy colors to choose from, so the result is from what we had to work with :)

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 27 October 2013, 09:47:20 »
Nice work! How much did it cost to get it fixed and how much did you buy it for? Did you save money on it, rather then buying a new one? Also I love the color! :)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 15:25:11 »
Color Update #2: Final

Last time when the cover was anodized, I chatted with the shop people at length, and the goal was to have a lighter teal color.  Unfortunately, we were limited to some standard shades of dye, and the lighting in the shop didn't help, so the end result was much darker than anticipated--great outdoors, but very dark on my desk.  So I talked it over with the shop, and they were receptive to me bringing my own dyes.  I have done a lot of reading and research about anodizing dyes and techniques and ended up bringing the cover back to the shop this morning, along with a bottle of turquoise dye and a large bin.

It was so worth it!  The research and effort has paid off for me, and the end result is a gorgeous electric turquoise--it's practically glowing!  Photos of the final color that I will never touch again, as it's perfect!  It's more blue or more green depending on angle and lighting:

You can see how the side dents look here (they are along the bottom)--not very visible:

Also new blue anodized bolts

(that steel plate's a fingerprint magnet  :eek: )

Anyway, VERY happy right now.  Cyan LEDs have arrived too, and I'd definitely categorize them as more turquoise--a lot of green in them.  Going to add LEDs when switch stickers arrive.  Unsure on the arrangement yet: either cyan for modifiers and warm white for alphas, or vice versa. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2013, 17:14:53 by Photoelectric »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 15:27:39 »
Can you share some of your dye research with us? Where did you get it? What dyes can we use? Did you have a color swatch or how did you determine the colors?

And I'm really stoked to see that board with some cyan LEDs :D. Great job Photoelectric!! That color is amazing!

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 15:37:19 »
Can you share some of your dye research with us? Where did you get it? What dyes can we use? Did you have a color swatch or how did you determine the colors?

And I'm really stoked to see that board with some cyan LEDs :D. Great job Photoelectric!! That color is amazing!

No she can't, idea thief

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 15:38:59 »
I JUST WANT TO HAVE A PURPLE KMAC!

Kidding, I'm genuinely curious :D.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 15:40:22 »
I just did a lot of google searching for "teal anodize" and "turquoise anodize" and "teal aluminum" and the like for photographs.  Then any forum post results that came up.  There are a few brands of dyes you can get.  One guy sells USSpecialty dyes on eBay here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251188199995&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I've chatted with him too.  I got my dye from Caswell Plating, as I stumbled upon posts there, and they sell "teal" and "turquoise" shades ($15 for small bottles, ~$3 delivery)
http://www.caswellplating.com/electroplating-anodizing/anodizing-products/anodizing-dyes.html

I was torn between teal and turquoise, but ended up going with turquoise, as it was also what MistakeMistake had used and verified to have a fair amount of green in it.  I was afraid that teal would turn out too green in indoor lighting.  There are other brands to consider as well, but these two are easily available in small quantities.

So the bottles say they are for 2 gallons of solution.  However, you can dilute them in a much greater volume of distilled water--we did something like 8 gallons.  As long as pH is correct, lower concentration of dye just means you will be dipping your part for a longer period of time to get the intensity you want.  My cover was dipped for around 10 minutes (I dipped it myself).  It's important to either have some artificial water agitation with some pump/bubbles or hold your part on a rack and slosh it around under water gently, for more even coverage.

Some dyes can be very "moody"--I'd research them individually.  They can be picky about pH level or not very picky.  Some dyes do better in heated water, and some are okay at room temperature.  One important lesson I've learned is that it's important to take out your part periodically and inspect for color intensity, as it's easy to go too dark.  When your part is in the solution, it's all slick with water, and the color looks a lot more vibrant and lighter.  When it's sealed and dried, it will be matte, and the way it will reflect light will change how the color appears.  It's best to go lighter than too dark, unless dark is what you're looking for.

NEVER touch anything anodized before dying--it WILL leave uneven splotches on the finish where the dye won't penetrate well.  Even if you wear gloves.  We did that accidentally during initial anodizing tests, and you could see exactly where the cover was barely touched--in rubber gloves.  Also if you give your cover to an anodizing shop, make sure they have a proper rack to put it on for the anodizing and dying process, because where the rack touches the cover, there will be some small silver marks.  If you use a proper rack and place it strategically underneath the cover, the end result will be tiny barely visible pin-like silver dots in a few spots where you won't ever see them.  But initially my shop wanted to use a thick wire through the USB port hole, which I said would definitely be less than ideal.  They switched to more common anodizing racks after that, gripping the part underneath at tension, so there are only a few of those tiny silver dots remaining.

And finally about color accuracy again: it's true what people say about anodizing dyes: it's difficult to get the exact color you want and then repeat it.  It's a bit of a creative process to anodize evenly and to the shade you want, especially if you dip into different colors to blend some shade.  Furthermore, the thickness of the anodizing coat and material itself can have an effect on how the dye will manifest.  The same turquoise dye could have been more blue and darker than how my cover came out.  Finish is also a major factor: whether it's smooth, sand-blasted, or bead-blasted.  Also, when removing anodizing by chemically stripping the existing finish, you're going to smooth out the original finish a bit each time and result in an increasingly smoother finish.  It's not a good idea to reanodize many times without refinishing too.  In my case we were fine, and the finish still looks great.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2013, 15:44:23 by Photoelectric »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 15:45:00 »
Thank you for the info :D.

My favorite part of that story? You dipped the keyboard yourself! Gotta love hands on projects ^__^

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 15:51:51 »
Yeah, I basically did all the dying, minus dipping the cover into sealant and actual anodizing :)  It was a lot of fun, and I wished I had a few more parts with me and more colors to play with :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 15:54:45 »
Sounds like you built a great relationship with this shop so hopefully you can do more work in the future....then take pictures/drop more knowledge bombs :D

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 15:58:13 »
They are great people!  Truly.  I will definitely go there again if I need to anodize some other part and will make sure to bring some custom color dye too.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 16:00:07 »
Yeah, they seem extremely helpful. I wish I could find an anodiser like that in the UK. Do they do finishing too?

Thanks for the info on the dyes.
github

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 16:00:53 »
I don't think they do any refinishing--only anodizing (hard and soft), electroplating, and some other exotic stuff like passivating.
By the way, Caswell Plating has a branch in the UK and Canada too--maybe other countries, if you want to buy small batches of dye to take along to an anodizing shop (if that shop doesn't already provide the colors you want).
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2013, 16:02:50 by Photoelectric »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 19:50:44 »
LED color is very difficult to photograph :(

But here are, in order from left to right, Green, "Cyan", Blue, Magenta, White, Warm White:

42534-0

42536-1

Offline mistakemistake

• Global Loveinator
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 20:39:44 »
Color Update #2: Final

Last time when the cover was anodized, I chatted with the shop people at length, and the goal was to have a lighter teal color.  Unfortunately, we were limited to some standard shades of dye, and the lighting in the shop didn't help, so the end result was much darker than anticipated--great outdoors, but very dark on my desk.  So I talked it over with the shop, and they were receptive to me bringing my own dyes.  I have done a lot of reading and research about anodizing dyes and techniques and ended up bringing the cover back to the shop this morning, along with a bottle of turquoise dye and a large bin.

It was so worth it!  The research and effort has paid off for me, and the end result is a gorgeous electric turquoise--it's practically glowing!  Photos of the final color that I will never touch again, as it's perfect!  It's more blue or more green depending on angle and lighting:

Show Image

Show Image

You can see how the side dents look here (they are along the bottom)--not very visible:
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image
Show Image

Also new blue anodized bolts
Show Image

(that steel plate's a fingerprint magnet  :eek: )

Anyway, VERY happy right now.  Cyan LEDs have arrived too, and I'd definitely categorize them as more turquoise--a lot of green in them.  Going to add LEDs when switch stickers arrive.  Unsure on the arrangement yet: either cyan for modifiers and warm white for alphas, or vice versa.

Love it, looks great!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 20:40:44 »
Love it, looks great!

Thanks <3  You have helped a lot!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 20:42:50 »
C-C-Cyan?? That looks incredible! I know what color LEDs I'm buying next!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #146 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 20:47:05 »
I've put it next to green for comparison.  But if you didn't have that green next to it, it looks very green on its own.  It's sold as "cyan" but is not cyan, which is why I put quotes around that word.  It's a turquoise-green kind of color if you don't have anything to put it in perspective, like green LEDs nearby.  Still I like them a lot and will definitely use them.

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #147 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 20:49:45 »

--
JD: I might end up doing that.

I like this spirit here. And I don't even really think about it as perfectionism. I kinda think of it as artistry: an artist just knows when the painting/sculpting/tweeking is done. It's a real pleasure to read this thread... not only because of what you saved from the rubbish heap but also for all of the experience that chimed in too. Great example of why I like GH. Amazing job!! Thanks for sharing.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #148 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 21:02:15 »
C-C-Cyan?? That looks incredible! I know what color LEDs I'm buying next!

That reminds me of Ch-Ch-Chow mein..

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 21:08:21 »
Nice work photo, that final update looks fantastic, I really like that blue

that LED picture looks somehow really calming...something about it makes it an awesome photo

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 17:32:22 »
This is amazing.  :thumb:

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 07 November 2013, 16:05:23 »
Still super jealous of this keyboard ^_^

kinda like it more than my own.
I love Elzy

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 15 November 2013, 16:33:10 »
I was talking to someone about anodizing and ended up drawing some quick diagrams.  Thought I'd include them here for people to have an idea how keyboard parts can be anodized.

Firstly, only aluminum and a few other metals (like magnesium and titanium) can be anodized--stainless steel bolts and other parts will be corroded by acid in the anodizing bath and should not be included with your keyboard case.  Aluminum bolts are safe to leave in your part, if you'd like them to be anodized and dyed to match.  Type II and III anodizing are the typical ones seen on aluminum keyboards, and they are done in sulfuric acid baths with an electric current flowing through. Type II gives a typical thickness anodized layer, and type III is a thicker layer--what's known as hard anodizing.  Anodizing does not grow an extra layer on top of a surface--it actually transforms the surface of aluminum to a certain depth.  So subsequent peeling and reanodizing will diminish the size of your part, albeit by a microscopic amount.  But with enough reanodizing, you can notice that your bolt will fit a bit loosely in the reanodized threaded holes.  Good article here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

One of the tricks to an even finish is to properly suspend your keyboard part in the anodizing bath as well as in a dye bath.  Finish/texture are important too, so your part should be polished or sand/bead-blasted first for an even color.  If you're reanodizing an already finished part, you don't really need to worry about it where chemical stripping is possible, unless there are scratches or dents present--then you might need to re-finish as well.

Because anodizing and dying is done via contact of acid and dye with the surface of your aluminum parts, it's important to suspend those parts strategically, as anywhere you touch those parts, anodizing and dying will not happen properly.  Typically, anodizing racks are used to suspend aluminum parts in acid and then subsequently in a dye bath on the same rack, without having to touch that part by hands at all.  I drew this quick diagram of a typical anodizing "rack", and hopefully it's comprehensive enough

Those rings with spiky spokes can be adjusted up and down, and your part can be inserted onto them and held via tension/friction.  There will remain tiny silver pin-prick dots on the anodized surface where where the rack touches it.  If you are giving your keyboard parts to someone to anodize/reanodize, you should inquire what sorts of racks they use and think about the best way of putting your parts onto them, to make sure the points of contact are well hidden.  Anything like a wire through USB port and what not can damage those openings but also prevent the USB port area from getting an even color/anodizing layer.  It's also possible to suspend your part via attaching something to aluminum bolts inserted into it, but you'd have to find some sort of non-conductive string that won't corrode in sulfuric acid... or some sorts of aluminum hooks you can attach to your aluminum bolts. 

Initially, when your part is anodized, it's the standard color of anodized aluminum (silver or dark gray, or champagne, or whatever color depending on alloy and anodizing thickness).  The newly-anodized layer is porous until sealed.  It can be dipped into specialized dye immediately after anodizing (can be as simple as RIT dye, though specially formulated anodizing dyes are better quality and will have more intense / interesting effects and should be preferred) and sloshed around (or left in an agitated solution of dye) for anywhere from ~2 to 20 minutes, depending on dye concentration and desired color intensity.  Then, when the part has been dyed (or just left as is), it is dipped into a solution that seals the pores and rinsed--and that's the end.  You can handle it and and attach to your keyboard at that point.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 November 2013, 16:36:06 by Photoelectric »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #153 on: Sat, 16 November 2013, 23:16:16 »
Annnnnd I'm stealing that post for Simple Questions Photoelectric :P

Those diagrams are great :D

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #154 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 22:38:25 »
It's been some months... but the keyboard is finally finished!  The PCB is back from Sir mkawa who replaced the oscillator and had done some reflowing of the diode joints and such.

I've swapped the switches in it to 45g Jailhouse Blues I already had in storage from my old Filco, added some SIP sockets, and a Hyper Fuse DSA set, and wow!  It's literally my most favorite keyboard ever.  Turquoise LEDs + white + a dash of magenta.  So I'm gonna do a bit of a photo overload here, because I'm so excited that it's finally done!  I'm typing this post on the LZ-GH, and the combination of short throw light and soft tactile switches with DSA keycaps feels like a very good match.

(I should also add that taking photographs of LEDs is a pain, and it looks a lot nicer and more vibrant in person):

Jailhouse Blues

SIP sockets

Soldered in SIP sockets, quite short

All done and cleaned up!

Layer of dampening material (shelf liner)

Shiny!

In case

LEDs (turquoise + white + magenta) - I didn't push the right Fn LED all the way in, hence it didn't light up.  It's fixed now.

DSA Hyper Fuse

« Last Edit: Sun, 20 April 2014, 00:40:53 by Photoelectric »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #155 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 22:55:13 »

Seriously, I need to go change my pants because that is sexy as hell.  That is an amazing color and DSA Hyperfuse is just perfect with it. 

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #156 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 23:14:14 »
Thanks, I'm super happy with it.  I just wish I could convey the LED color better in photographs.  It's a very intense turquoise color (which looks like pale aqua in photos), which looks pretty cool with a silver plate.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 23:14:17 »
beautiful work there photo!! you need a mint clack on that hyperfuse :P

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 23:15:21 »
Haha, and I just noticed Hard Knock Waz and another cap of mine in one of the pics.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 19 April 2014, 23:22:10 »
to photograph LEDs, turn off any overhead or task lights and spot meter with a focus point on the LED glow. the trick is to pu the luminosity of the LEDs at middle grey. because LEDs are so tight, and so bright compared to the things that surround them, camera metering systems expose around them rather than for them

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #160 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 00:49:00 »
^ the wizard has spoken

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #161 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 00:50:55 »
to photograph LEDs, turn off any overhead or task lights and spot meter with a focus point on the LED glow. the trick is to pu the luminosity of the LEDs at middle grey. because LEDs are so tight, and so bright compared to the things that surround them, camera metering systems expose around them rather than for them

It's more of a color accuracy issue for me with LEDs, even taking photographs of them with other lights turned off.

Nubs:  ;)  There's a Hypnocap too.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #162 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 14:16:35 »
What a fantastic job.  A real labor of love, and now a unique custom.  I just can't get past the jailhouse blues, though :p

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #163 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 14:17:26 »
Show Image

Wow.  Perfect colors.  Woowwwwwww.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #164 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 16:07:03 »
Looks nice!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #165 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 20:27:40 »
What a fantastic job.  A real labor of love, and now a unique custom.  I just can't get past the jailhouse blues, though :p

First you try them, then you diss them (if you still feel inclined to  ;))

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #166 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 23:02:41 »
Bumping this ancient thread for a bit of an update/conclusion.  Just received these from Katushkin (thank you, sir!)

by Photo Electric on Flickr

Daily driver (photo repost):

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 00:00:50 »
One day I will get a stable job and have a keyboard this cool.

Alas, the life of a student.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 00:12:33 »

I sold both of my fully modded Filcos and a Ducky to fund this board back in the day :)  No regrets!

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #169 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 01:01:44 »

I sold both of my fully modded Filcos and a Ducky to fund this board back in the day :)  No regrets!

im very attached to one of my filcos but i'm probably about to part with most of my non-alu boards
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline mech0nly

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 06:21:23 »
Oh damn. i'm drooling
Nice and inspiring color!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
356mini | 360C | G81-3000SAT | G81-3000SAU | G80-3000LPCXY-2 | G80-3485LWNUS-2