Author Topic: Custom 70%-ish build log  (Read 4808 times)

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
Custom 70%-ish build log
« on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 19:31:16 »
Just figured after posting a RFC on my plate the other day that it might be cool to document the rest of the process for everybody too :)
So I've been on the lookout for a 70/75%-ish layout that uses as close to standard cap sizes as possible, without just buying something off-the-shelf. I recently came across Kaliet's 22-Mini RGB PCB and thought that it looked pretty good.

Only issue was, at the time I wasn't able to justify the cost of the case on top of the PCB, so I just ordered the PCB and figured I could mount the PCB to a base, stick switches on it, and away you go.
Then I realised I had majorly derped with regards to a few key (haha) considerations - namely stabilisers and PCB-mount vs plate mount (this board needing stabs, of course, and not having PCB-mount support, I had to make a plate).
So, I came up with the following plate design which didn't seem to have any major issues:

Once that was vetted I designed the rest of a case, and had the whole thing laser cut:

I noticed after sending it off that I had failed to account for the fact that the PCB sits on the base of the switch, rather than on the base of the plate, so my spacing was off with regards to the USB port. I found a post on Deskthority which described the right spacing for the layers which would have been helpful, but fortunately I found that I could rearrange my layers from
2mm plate
2mm bezel
4.5mm bezel with USB cutout
2mm bezel
2mm base

into
2mm plate
2mm bezel
2mm bezel
4.5mm bezel with USB cutout
2mm base

and everything worked out.

So far, so good.

Only thing was - when I designed the case I went for what I felt was a fairly minimal bezel around the edges - 8mm. This works in theory, but in practice it makes most easy-to-get screws impractical, because it only leaves a very small amount of material on either side of the screw and therefore is likely to crack, even if I pre-drill.
Eg, this is a 4mm screw in the bezel for comparison:

So the easiest solution would be to glue the case together using the acrylic glue I have on hand. Only issue with that is that it makes it difficult to access the case internals if I need to conduct repairs or anything.
So, I'll be gluing the case, but not the plate (which forms the top layer of the case).
In order to affix the plate to the top, I'll be using these:

These are 3/32" rare earth magnets, and I'll be using a number of them around the top plate to hold it in place, countersinking them into the bezel after gluing in this fashion:

I'll be gluing the base together, doing the countersinking and then post back with the progress.

Ok, so the gluing is done. Here's the setup:

I was given the middle pieces that had been cut from each bezel, so I used them as a frame of sorts to hold the bezel pieces in position while gluing. I've clamped the middle piece down, with the two layers to be glued already placed around it. I then lifted the top layer off, and applied glue, pushing down on it and using the secondary fence to the right of the photo to help me align it from the outside. Once the glue set, I gave the pieces some time to cure, then glued the second bezel layer on.

Here's what it looked like with the base glued on as the final step:

I've now drilled a pilot hole through the top layer and the plate, and press-fitted the switches through plate and PCB as you can see here:

I think both sets of stabilisers I have coming are Cherry (Ivan's and Sprit's group buys) so I'm not going to do any soldering of the switches just yet. Having to desolder in order to fit the stabilisers would just be the icing on the cake for the mistakes I've made with this build :P

Next up will be some further testing with the magnets before I widen the pilot holes, because if the magnets aren't strong enough I will need to source some M1 or M2 bolts to go through the whole case and hold it all together, given that M3 on up would only leave 2.5mm of plastic on either side of the bezel at most and I would not want to risk the bezel cracking.

Update the Third:
So the magnets were noticeable but nowhere nearly strong enough to hold the top plate on - especially not strong enough to stop that plate from sliding sideways.
As a result I decided to chance using a drill press to help me drill a few screw holes in order to use those M3 screws I mentioned earlier. I bolted everything together and all was well, until I decided to toss some keycaps on and give the board a whirl with the exception of the spacebar and so on that were missing the stabilisers.

At this point I noticed yet another design flaw in the case - the aperture for the USB cable.

In my desire to make the board as small and compact as possible I had not given enough of a gap around the USB socket on the PCB. Given the way I designed the case, the socket was wholly inside the case:

As a result, this caused a little bit of a problem- namely the fact that an off-the-shelf cable with a plastic boot was never going to fit in there.
I decided I'd DIY a low-profile cable rather than try to file or otherwise mutilate the case. I bought some 4-way shielded cable from Farnell/Element14, and some plugs and heatshrink. As you can see here, the connector plugs provided had their own large metal boot, for lack of a better term, around part of the plug, meaning that I was back to square one:

I therefore squashed the metal boot around the plastic insert that sat inside it:

I ended up using a different smaller-diameter piece of heat shrink to the one from the final photo, but you get the idea.

I'm sure anybody who makes and sells custom cables is going to groan at my hack job, but the cable itself works quite well.

Stabilisers arrived yesterday, but I noticed that on a few keys I tended to get a little sticking, so I ended up needing to file the clips down a little:

The little red blob to the side of the clip shows where I've filed the gap so it will clip to the plate a bit better and hopefully be less sticky.
With that done, and the good old saran/cling wrap trick on the stabiliser inserts, I was good to go.

As you can see it has a really nice transparent appearance on the underside, which I like. Future iterations won't be glued (will simply make the bezel the right size for proper bolts) so I won't get the annoying glue lines around the side of the case.

I always wanted the case to be as low profile as possible, and I'm pretty pleased with how this one turned out.

Heres the result with my Granite R2:

I am so close to being done now, but I need my springs from Sprit's GB in order to do some swapping before I solder in the LEDs. With those two modifications done the build will be finished :)

« Last Edit: Tue, 13 January 2015, 13:59:08 by twiddle »

Offline joey

Re: Custom 70%-ish build log
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 03:15:37 »
Look great so far!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 07:36:24 »
Interesting use pf the magnets, I'd like to see how they hold up, I had once planned to use them to secure the dust cover for a JD40, I never quite got to building it through.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 09:08:32 »
Then I realised I had majorly derped with regards to a few key (haha) considerations - namely stabilisers and PCB-mount vs plate mount (this board needing stabs, of course, and not having PCB-mount support, I had to make a plate).
Huh? The PCB in your picture has holes for PCB-mounted stabilisers and switches ... or is there something wrong with them?

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 11:26:22 »
Huh? The PCB in your picture has holes for PCB-mounted stabilisers and switches ... or is there something wrong with them?

More like me, being the rank n00b I am at KB assembly so far, not recognizing them.

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 13:57:21 »
Just pinging the thread so anybody who was watching this will see that I've updated the OP. Nearly done. Hurry up Sprit :P

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 14:07:30 »
That's an interesting fix to your screw issue. I would love to hear how it holds up long term and if it affects the keyboard's operation. I think this was a pretty cool little project. Hopefully you get your parts in soon so you can finish it up :).

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 14:27:46 »
I like it.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 14:29:02 »
That's an interesting fix to your screw issue. I would love to hear how it holds up long term and if it affects the keyboard's operation. I think this was a pretty cool little project. Hopefully you get your parts in soon so you can finish it up :).

Pretty much agree with all of this. The idea of magnets to hold the case together is my favorite and I have a layer car getting cut right now that I was planning on assembling the same way.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 16:41:42 »
Well this time around I ended up putting two small bolts into the case to hold it together, but I will definitely be doing another build using the magnets -next time though I will be using much larger magnets and in greater quantity. I've seen rare earth magnets on aliexpress and so on that are rectangular rather than circular, so I am considering getting the holes for them cut when I get the acrylic laser cut. That way I can have more magnetic material and therefore stronger pull without having to expand the bezel too much. It needs to be much stronger to prevent the lateral movement though - even the very small magnets I tried this time gave me a reasonable bit of vertical hold, but the horizontal/lateral force required to make it slide was still very low.

In the future, once the kinks have been worked out with these prototypes I am considering a carbon fibre plate, too. Have been looking at getting one from http://dragonplate.com in their economy range, doing the top and bottom in it and getting acrylic to fill the layers between.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 16:45:21 »
I'm not sure if you considered this but some PCBs will have their programming or boot mode toggled by magnets. My Epsilon will have boot mode toggled if a magnet is passed near it. Hopefully this doesn't cause your board(s) to have any issues.

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 17:53:32 »
It's definitely something I will have to take into consideration, I'm hoping that careful selection of magnet size and shape will allow me to avoid having any strong EM fields right next to the PCB itself. If I keep them to the corners and away from the controller it should help some. If need be I can have non-uniform bezel around the edges of the case, eg instead of the uniform 8mm this case has I could use 12 or even 16mm along the sides to give me the clearance I need.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 18:29:47 »
Awesome. I like love Love LOVE build logs like this!  Can't wait to go through it and pester you with questions
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline howthegodschill

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 18:42:57 »
This is badass! I'm definitely hyped on the final product.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 18:58:58 »
This is very cool, it's too bad that the magnets didn't work out, do you know if it'd work by putting more magnets in rather than just the 4 corners?
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 20:08:49 »
Awesome. I like love Love LOVE build logs like this!  Can't wait to go through it and pester you with questions

This is badass! I'm definitely hyped on the final product.

Thanks guys, feel free to ask me stuff now. I'm bored at work in between marking student work :P
Glad to hear you are excited for the build!

This is very cool, it's too bad that the magnets didn't work out, do you know if it'd work by putting more magnets in rather than just the 4 corners?

It quite possibly would have worked if I had wanted to put 12+ pairs into the frame - the magnets I had on hand are so small that it would definitely need a fair few.
Main reason I went for the screws was because I was impatient to see how things would work out - I am trying to make something to use while I wait for my Sprit boards to arrive.
With stronger magnets/magnets in different sizes or configurations I am confident that it would work - I'd just need to do some tests given, as CPT points out earlier in the thread, the magnetic field could potentially interfere with the controller on some boards.
If that is the case though, perhaps a hand wired design connected to a Teensy or something like that would allow me to place the controller in the centre of the case, far enough away from the edge and the magnets so that there is no interference.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 20:32:47 »
That looks really nice with granite.

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 14 January 2015, 20:17:49 »
I ended up swapping blue springs into the whites that are on this board for now. Some pretty good feels, and it is much more comfortable to type on at work (not to mention quieter) so I will leave those in until the Sprit ones arrive.