Author Topic: The Living Soldering Thread  (Read 1855719 times)

Offline StrikeEagleCC

Re: The Living Soldering Thread
« Reply #1000 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 11:59:00 »
I use petrol and find it cleans much better than 99% IPA.

As in gasoline? Phew, I don't think I could stand the smell.
A better example of how your keyboard works:
More
It's expandable and ~25 seconds long.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1001 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 12:31:28 »
mineral spirits are basically kerosene (actually usually naptha petroleum byproducts and turpentine). they are quite effective organic solvents when it comes to hydrocarbons.\

the other major solvents are lithium and silicone based. silicone tends to have pretty good stability and chemical resistance but is highy susceptile to ketones, among other things, less susceptible to petroleum derivatives. lithium soaps are highly susceptible to petroleum derivatives.

polymer lubricants each have their own special solvent story. basically the endcaps protect the polymer chain pretty effectively in most polymers (obviously there are some not so happy endings here -- ketones and almost any polymer is one of them, alcohols also tend to be pretty effective at attacking polymers.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #1002 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 12:37:07 »
i use a branded flux remover. it's either made by mg chem or chemtronics, but it's frickin effective. it's basically every organic solvent at once. they skip the solvents that will destroy the pcb itself, but that's it.
When I ran out of flux remover I tried some R/C car Nitro cleaner and it worked better than the MG chemicals stuff I normally use. I may use this stuff from now on.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1003 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 14:07:10 »
woah! how can deny trying out something called nitro?! duly noted ;)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline loadstar81

« Reply #1004 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 14:17:05 »
This thread is a goldmine, thanks doods
LOAD "*",8,1  | kbtpure | cm qftk

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1005 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 14:58:39 »

As in gasoline? Phew, I don't think I could stand the smell.

Yes.

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #1006 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 16:21:33 »

But doesn't it leave residue by itself (in difference to IPA which fully evaporates, which is the reason they use it for optic equipment I guess)?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1007 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 16:50:07 »

But doesn't it leave residue by itself (in difference to IPA which fully evaporates, which is the reason they use it for optic equipment I guess)?

In my experience, yes, but negligible which soon evaporates as well, since petrol is highly volatile.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1008 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 17:06:29 »
both IPA and hydrocarbon solvents (of which petroleum distillates such as naptha kerosene, etc. etc. etc. are all such) are incredibly volatile and will vaporize quite quickly. the most annoying thing about them actually is that they disassemble/dissolve the thing you don't want on there and then they vaporize and then you have the remains of the thing to clean up with yet another cleaner. BLURGH!

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #1009 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 17:55:01 »
Hey, what kind of tips does the Hakko FX888D come with? Does it have the "popular" chisels tips?

If not, where do you buy them? They are like 10$ each + shipping (like almost another 10$ for me) on ebay...
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1010 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 19:43:33 »
it comes with a t18-d16 1.6mm chisel. the cheapest place i've found tips is actually fry's. ebay tips are usually knock-offs, so don't bother with that. the reseller that consistently gets the buy box on amazon for the 888D also sells tips FBA and they only charge a couple bucks for the pick and pack fees. imo though, unless you need a really weird SMD tip or you know you're going to be soldering something GIGANTIC (even my welder didn't need more than the d16 by the way), don't bother buying more tips until you have a lot more experience and something particularly weird to solder

Offline JPG

« Reply #1011 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 19:46:53 »
OK, thx for the info, that 1.6mm should work just good!

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #1012 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 03:24:54 »
why not the second one?

It has the flat sides, which is a good start. But the tip is too round. It should be a sharp edge, like a knife, no radius. It's too blunt to put it in other words. It probably does pretty good for large stuff like through hole soldering.

I usually cheat a little when soldering through hole. I start of by melting the solder wire against the iron to get the heat transfer going. After that I continue feeding the solder directly onto the contact surfaces.

For cleaning I use regular rubbing alcohol and a brush (ESD just to play it safe). Then I rinse off in a second cleaner bath of the same alcohol. If I have access to it I finish off by blow drying with pressurized air. That way remaining solids are blown off rather than drying onto the surface.

Offline StrikeEagleCC

« Reply #1013 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 04:44:50 »
I usually cheat a little when soldering through hole. I start of by melting the solder wire against the iron to get the heat transfer going. After that I continue feeding the solder directly onto the contact surfaces.

That's actually exactly what you're supposed to do. IPC soldering manuals provide instruction to do exactly that.

e) Place the soldering iron tip on the connection at the point of maximum thermal mass.
f) Create a heat (solder) bridge by applying flux-cored solder to the junction of the pad, the lead, and the
iron tip (Figure 7-33).
A better example of how your keyboard works:
More
It's expandable and ~25 seconds long.

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1014 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 14:09:07 »
Building a new keyboard soon...need some solder...whats the best deal on the web right now? Bonus points if I can get it from mouser (do they even sell it?)
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1015 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 14:14:19 »
i have a lb of solder that i can divvy up right now as a test to see how people like NOS vs old stock kester 44

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1016 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 14:14:44 »
i mean NEW NEW stock vs new OLD STOCK. sorry.

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #1017 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 14:55:58 »
i have a lb of solder that i can divvy up right now as a test to see how people like NOS vs old stock kester 44

I'll be building a handwired keyboard...is that a good test subject? Or are you looking for people doing PCB stuff?
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #1018 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 14:58:48 »

I'll be building a handwired keyboard...is that a good test subject? Or are you looking for people doing PCB stuff?

That application has even higher demands than PCB work so you are probably suitable. It needs an even stronger mechanical bond and since you are soldering a bunch of free hanging wires you are more likely to move them which is a strong suit of eutectic solder. You do not want to move around a non-eutectic solder joint when it is solidifying. (Not that you want to move around a joint with eutectic solder either, it will just cause less problems.)

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #1019 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 15:48:17 »
Frys has the Hakko 888D on sale this week for $69.99 which is a good deal if you have a Frys near you. I have the older 888 and its a great solder station for the price range.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1020 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 15:52:32 »
Frys has the Hakko 888D on sale this week for $69.99 which is a good deal if you have a Frys near you. I have the older 888 and its a great solder station for the price range.

That's a really good deal. Too bad I've never even seen a fry's store  ::)

Offline JPG

« Reply #1021 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 15:58:44 »

^this...

How much would it cost to send one to Canada?  :rolleyes:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1022 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 16:13:30 »

^this...

How much would it cost to send one to Canada?  :rolleyes:

Medium flat rate box priority from the US to Canada is $41.95
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1023 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 16:18:08 »

Fry's does online ordering/shipping.

Offline Parak

« Reply #1024 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 16:29:58 »
I'll just leave these here for possible inclusion in sticky; as relevant today as they were back in the day they were made:

list=PL926EC0F1F93C1837

list=PL958FF32927823D12

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1025 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 16:33:54 »

Shipping: Available In-Store Only :(

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1026 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 16:59:19 »

Where you live?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1027 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 17:04:03 »

Where you live?

middle of nowhere between st louis, chicago, nashville and indianopolis :p

you have my address ;) ccng haha

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1028 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 17:04:40 »

Where you live?

Doesn't mean I memorized it

Make it worth my while to get one and mail it to you.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1029 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 17:07:38 »

Where you live?

Doesn't mean I memorized it

Make it worth my while to get one and mail it to you.

But then I'd have to do something with the hakko 888 I already have ;)

I'd better not, thanks for offering though  :thumb:

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1030 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 17:32:58 »
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a soldering iron as I may do some DIY boards in the future. The only concern I have is that I don't know how much soldering I will be doing in the future, so I'm unsure on whether or not I should spend a lot of money on an iron just to have it laying around doing nothing. How good are the budget irons? I noticed that the Yihua 936 here is basically a clone of the Hakko 936, but the price of $15.34 has me pretty skeptical. Do you think it would be worth it to go for something like the Hakko FX-888D (I found it online at a Canadian retailer for $110 shipped), or should I go for something cheaper?
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #1031 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 17:40:25 »
Hey guys, I'm looking to get a soldering iron as I may do some DIY boards in the future. The only concern I have is that I don't know how much soldering I will be doing in the future, so I'm unsure on whether or not I should spend a lot of money on an iron just to have it laying around doing nothing. How good are the budget irons? I noticed that the Yihua 936 here is basically a clone of the Hakko 936, but the price of $15.34 has me pretty skeptical. Do you think it would be worth it to go for something like the Hakko FX-888D (I found it online at a Canadian retailer for $110 shipped), or should I go for something cheaper?
I have the Yihua. Nothing special, but it does the job quite well. Far better than anything with a price anywhere near $20.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #1032 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 18:34:14 »
I have the Yihua. Nothing special, but it does the job quite well. Far better than anything with a price anywhere near $20.

I don't own one, but I've used one a few times. It's quite solidly built, and heats up fast. I recommend it if you're on a budget.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1033 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 18:36:38 »
that is what is known as a deal folks

that said, frys has been running some in-store only deals where they have like 1 unit in a region. if that's the case, not worth it for 10 bucks

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1034 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 00:18:52 »

I don't own one, but I've used one a few times. It's quite solidly built, and heats up fast. I recommend it if you're on a budget.
The Yihua 936 will run me about ~$45. Would it be worth it to go up $65 and get a Hakko FX-888D, or should I use that saved money for things like a fume extractor, solder, extra tips, etc.? For ~$45 would there be any better alternatives, or is the Yihua 936 the king of budget?
Keyboards Owned:

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #1035 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 01:02:27 »

The Yihua 936 will run me about ~$45. Would it be worth it to go up $65 and get a Hakko FX-888D, or should I use that saved money for things like a fume extractor, solder, extra tips, etc.? For ~$45 would there be any better alternatives, or is the Yihua 936 the king of budget?

+1 to this. I'd love to know as I have to get a replacement soldering iron too by the end of the month!

Also where can you get a Hakko FX-888D for $65?

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #1036 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 01:11:31 »
VesperSAINT, sorry if it was a little confusing, but I meant spend an extra $65 to get the Hakko FX-888D (It's $110 shipped in Canada).
Keyboards Owned:

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1037 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 01:14:24 »
So I am in the process of building a custom detachable cable for a keyboard project and have a question.  On a standard USB cable does the wire wrap for shielding really need to be soldered to the shroud of the plug for the USB to function?  Or does it even need to be soldered to the shroud at all?

If it does any suggestions if the shielding on mine won't take solder?  I can get it hot enough to melt the solder on the wire itself but it just beads up and runs off with none sticking to the wire.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #1038 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 02:08:57 »
So I am in the process of building a custom detachable cable for a keyboard project and have a question.  On a standard USB cable does the wire wrap for shielding really need to be soldered to the shroud of the plug for the USB to function?  Or does it even need to be soldered to the shroud at all?

If it does any suggestions if the shielding on mine won't take solder?  I can get it hot enough to melt the solder on the wire itself but it just beads up and runs off with none sticking to the wire.

Melvang

It does not need to attach, no.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1039 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 07:32:17 »
the shielding is literally just there to shield. it doesn't need to be tied to ground, it just needs to block E field. metallized foil does that no matter what potential it's at, for the most part.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1040 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 07:40:07 »
Excellent thanks guys.  You just made this cable a lot easier.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1041 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 07:56:45 »
 :thumb:

Offline JPG

« Reply #1042 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 08:06:09 »

I am having the same dilemma, but right now I consider that the Yihua is a deal at 15$, but at 45$ it's not worth it while at least with the FX888D you know you will get some better quality that should last.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1043 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 08:26:30 »
For my money, the Yihua 936 is the best soldering station you can get for $50 or less. Above that, you might as well spring for the Hakko FX-888D ($90), or a used Hakko 936 ($75).

The Yihua is definitely a "deal" at $15 plus shipping (also $15), so the total shipped to the US has always been $30. I still think it's far better than the Weller WLC-100, which typically runs $50.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1044 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 08:36:26 »
i have bought many tools in my lifetime and the only ones i still have are the ones that i put the extra scratch into. the others all end up broken. a broken tool is a useless tool. buy quality tools that are designed to be rebuilt and resharpened and used for the rest of your life. it may be a 50% premium, but over time, an eg 500$ multimeter is like 25$/year if you use it for 20 years. my last 200$ multimeter went 10 years and is going to go another 10 years with ron.

another thing you find when you're constantly breaking tools is that THEY COST YOU EXTRA TIME. you have a tool and a job. you need to accomplish the job, so you use the tool, it breaks you swear, YOUR JOB IS STILL NOT DONE. eff! buy another cheap one and the cycle repeats. buy tools to last.

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #1045 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 08:42:28 »
another thing you find when you're constantly breaking tools is that THEY COST YOU EXTRA TIME. you have a tool and a job. you need to accomplish the job, so you use the tool, it breaks you swear, YOUR JOB IS STILL NOT DONE. eff! buy another cheap one and the cycle repeats. buy tools to last.

Not only that, but some tools which break while you use them can damage the actual object you are working on. If you work on expensive or otherwise important objects, use decent tools.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 September 2013, 08:44:03 by damorgue »

Offline JPG

« Reply #1046 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 08:43:46 »
Ok Ok:

Birthday list:

- Hakko FX888D

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1047 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 08:44:18 »

Not only that, but some tools which break while you use them can destroy the object you are working on.

on top of the possibility of damage to yourself.  I don't care what you are doing, no job is worth a finger.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #1048 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 08:44:47 »
For my money, the Yihua 936 is the best soldering station you can get for $50 or less. Above that, you might as well spring for the Hakko FX-888D ($90), or a used Hakko 936 ($75).

The Yihua is definitely a "deal" at $15 plus shipping (also $15), so the total shipped to the US has always been $30. I still think it's far better than the Weller WLC-100, which typically runs $50.

I'm very pleased so far with the Aoyue 937+ I bought via Amazon; $61 shipped.  Digital heat settings, heats up fast, hold temperature well, comes with spare element, and takes the same tips as Hakko.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1049 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 08:50:18 »
I have the Weller WLC-100 with the 1-5 heat settings and I haven't had any problems with it yet.  Heats up quick and seems to hold heat setting pretty well.  I got mine at a local Sears for around 50.