Author Topic: The Living Soldering Thread  (Read 1855704 times)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re: The Living Soldering Thread
« Reply #700 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 11:16:11 »
ok now i'm super curious. someone buy one of these and report back!

http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-474A-Digital-Desoldering-Station/dp/B00ABJ4AEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374592266&sr=8-1&keywords=aoyue+474a%2B%2B

looks like it's basically a hakko 474, with all the extra suction that implies. replace the tip, chamber and all the filters with the hakko parts. it should come in at about the same price as an 808 but have about 2-3x more suction

If only I were in the US.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #701 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 14:13:24 »

http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-474A-Digital-Desoldering-Station/dp/B00ABJ4AEC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374592266&sr=8-1&keywords=aoyue+474a%2B%2B

looks like it's basically a hakko 474, with all the extra suction that implies. replace the tip, chamber and all the filters with the hakko parts. it should come in at about the same price as an 808 but have about 2-3x more suction

If I sell my 808, I might get it.

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #702 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 14:49:07 »

Looks like a bit lower power, and lower temp, than a real Hakko 474, 80w instead of 100w, 150-380 instead of 380-480 degrees C. Same with the Aoyue 936, its lower power, the number is an indication that the parts fit each other. Still, its probably a nice bit of kit for the price.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #703 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 15:45:19 »
This link has it for $99.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #704 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 15:54:23 »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #705 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 16:12:26 »

And $92 for shipping :eek:

Totally missed that!  :eek:

nevermind....

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #706 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 16:22:42 »

And $92 for shipping :eek:

Totally missed that!  :eek:

nevermind....

Yeah...Amazon is screwy like that....you gotta watch it.

Out of my ignorance, I saw you posted you bought some stuff for your soldering station....what are the brushes for??

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #707 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 16:38:05 »
Out of my ignorance, I saw you posted you bought some stuff for your soldering station....what are the brushes for??

Lubing switches. I bought Sax True Flow Masters Finest Red Sable Brushes.

Offline Neal

« Reply #708 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 17:11:30 »
Really helpfull post A+

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #709 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 20:53:25 »

Lubing switches. I bought Sax True Flow Masters Finest Red Sable Brushes.

That makes sense, I was trying to figure out what you were doing with brushes and solder. ;D

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #710 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 02:27:02 »
Just ordered a yihua 936, some soldering wick, solder, head light/magnifier thing, safety glasses just incase, hakko tip cleaner(so i dont have to use sponge), some dupont lube, 62g and 65g springs (to see which I like), and mx clears.  Just need to pick up a 2nd board and possibly a radio shack desoldering iron?

Expect questions from me sometime in the near future!
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #711 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 04:44:37 »
Goot pump desoldering also good? :D is $10
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #712 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 07:01:00 »
Goot pump desoldering also good? :D is $10

Huh?? More info please! ;)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #713 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 07:46:06 »
I have goot GS-108 and it works. This small size one is easy to load spring by one hand.
It is better than cheap one got from dx.com but I've never used other pumps like SOLDAPULLT and hakko SPPON.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #714 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 11:57:15 »
I couldn't get Soldapullt to work with Filco PCBs.  The solder goes very deep, through the holes in the PCB to the opposite side, and RadioShack iron and the like seem to be ideal.  Not sure how others use Soldapullt to desolder switches from Filcos, but mine wasn't getting enough of the solder out (I think it was cooling off quickly by the time I'd get the suction tip over the hole completely.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #715 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:33:05 »
I have used the radio shack desoldering pump for quite a bit now and I think I will get a 808.
the $180.00 USD to save my sanity will be worth it.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #716 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:35:33 »
I couldn't get Soldapullt to work with Filco PCBs.  The solder goes very deep, through the holes in the PCB to the opposite side, and RadioShack iron and the like seem to be ideal.  Not sure how others use Soldapullt to desolder switches from Filcos, but mine wasn't getting enough of the solder out (I think it was cooling off quickly by the time I'd get the suction tip over the hole completely.

Are you sure that you're fully heating the joint? Also, the speed and distance at which you suck the solder matters. I have the tip of the pump on the PCB really close to the joint at which I'm desoldering. Once the joint is fully heated, I move the pump closer or even over the joint, forming a seal around it and then hit the button activating the pump.

I don't always get all of the solder, but it works quite well
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #717 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 12:50:48 »
I just bought one of those soldering pumps with built-in heating irons. Will test and report soon. No PCB to desolder from at the moment :/

Offline gnubag

« Reply #718 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 14:42:02 »

Are you sure that you're fully heating the joint? Also, the speed and distance at which you suck the solder matters. I have the tip of the pump on the PCB really close to the joint at which I'm desoldering. Once the joint is fully heated, I move the pump closer or even over the joint, forming a seal around it and then hit the button activating the pump.

I don't always get all of the solder, but it works quite well

I used my solderpult on my filco and it worked flawlessly. there was no solder remains in the holes and the plate with the switches just fell of the pcb.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #719 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 14:49:18 »
I think today im going to put all my whites into my poker...i want to be able to see if i will even like whites for my gh60...if i dont, then i need to grab like 130 mx blacks soon lol

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #720 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 14:52:15 »
I think today im going to put all my whites into my poker...i want to be able to see if i will even like whites for my gh60...if i dont, then i need to grab like 130 mx blacks soon lol

You might as well get some of those 'old' blacks from whiskytango they are dirt cheap!!

And if you don't like the whites I'd like to buy them off you  8)

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #721 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 14:54:25 »

You might as well get some of those 'old' blacks from whiskytango they are dirt cheap!!
might as well :))

i think he's swamped right now..

Offline Rayne

• For Science!
« Reply #722 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 17:28:46 »
i just got my hakko fx888d in the mail! now i get to try it out on my phantom build :D

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #723 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 12:06:35 »
D: my soldering iron wont get here until next thursday, so sad.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #724 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 12:21:37 »
Where's a good place to get new tips for a 936 and what's a decent tip for switch soldering? If the stock tip will do just fine then I'll stick with it as I haven't ordered my 936 yet.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #725 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 12:39:48 »
Where's a good place to get new tips for a 936 and what's a decent tip for switch soldering? If the stock tip will do just fine then I'll stick with it as I haven't ordered my 936 yet.

If you want to be really cheap, theres tips for a couple bucks on ebay but they come from china.  I just went with a legit d24 hakko tip from amazon for like $8 and free 2 day shipping.  I think I've read both good and bad about the stock tip but I figured better safe than sorry.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #726 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 12:42:37 »

There was quite a bit of discussion a few pages back on tips, I would 'assume' they would be applicable, if they work with that iron.

Thanks for confirmation. I thought hakko tips would be compatible.. just wanted to check. What size of chisel tip would you recommend for keyboard soldering?

Here is some discussion from the other day on that topic!!

Alright I'm thinking of getting a Hakko 888 soldering kit. What tips should I get with it? I'll buy everything from amazon btw.

I use the d24 (2,4 mm chisel) for most trough-hole stuff...
More contact area than the d16 (better heat transfer) but not too big (like the d32).

Just picked up some soldering gear for when my r3 eDox kit gets here, and I have minimal prior experience with soldering so I was wondering if there's a quick list of do's and don'ts when soldering that I should be aware of, besides the obvious.

Also, will a chisel tip work better for keyboard soldering than a round tip?

I also think you should watch some videos, visual learning really is the way to go here!
Anyway, if you are really looking for a quick simple writeup, here is what I do...

- For switch or LED soldering I use a 2,4mm chisel tip
- Also I use leaded rosin core solder with 1mm diameter
- Make sure components sit flush against the PCB and pins sit right
- Set the temperature of the station to 300-350 degree Celsius and wait for heatup
- Make sure your solder tip is clean, if not clean it (repeat that periodically in the process)
- Put the tip in between pad and pin and feed a small amount of solder in the gap between tip an pin for better heat transfer
- Feed solder from the other side into the gap between pin and pad (enough that you get a solid cone shape bonding) and remove tip
- The two steps above should be done fast and finished when the molten solder completely stops smoking (then the flux is used up)
- Inspect the solder spots... You want a shiny uninterrupted cone shape which contacts the whole pad, best use a magnifying glass for that
- If there seems to be something wrong with the spot, desolder -> clean -> redo, or apply some flux (you can get it seperately) and let the spot reflow by heating it up again
i don't know about the ebay tips because frankly i'd rather have a single tip that lasts 12 years than 12 tips that give me inconsistent heat transfer for one year each.

also because genuine tips are cheap.

i have one of the smaller needle points i never use, a d16, d32 (for big ****), and some other crap i never use. the d16 is pretty much going to be your go-to tip for almost everything except for joints that need a lot of power. the small tips like the d12 or the needle points are only really useful in situations where you need to be really careful about how much power you're putting into the joint. not that this doesn't include most SMD ICs, because you'll want enough surface area to be able to do a quick wipe downwards across the pins. a needle tip won't allow you to do that, but can be useful for really fine rework.

for wires or big components i break out the d32. the 888d has enough power to make quick work of those if you give it the surface area.

« Last Edit: Fri, 26 July 2013, 12:45:23 by SpAmRaY »

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #727 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 12:45:17 »
Thought I'd share this while I'm here. 1lb spool of 63/37 Kester 44 only $21.80 and shipping isn't outrageous like the other site. http://www.all-spec.com/products/KW4410.html
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #728 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 12:50:28 »
Thought I'd share this while I'm here. 1lb spool of 63/37 Kester 44 only $21.80 and shipping isn't outrageous like the other site. http://www.all-spec.com/products/KW4410.html

Looks like they charge you a fee if your order is below $25 though.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #729 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 12:59:19 »

Looks like they charge you a fee if your order is below $25 though.

Yeah, mine isn't because I'm also getting a soldapullt and a tip cleaner from there. With shipping it all comes out to 48.90 or so.

You could just add a tip or two to get it above the $25 mark as well.

EDIT: It appears the FX888D is on sale for 80 bucks right now on that site.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:01:40 by oTurtlez »
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #730 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:04:33 »
2.4mm chisel tip is best for keyboard hobby.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #731 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:05:21 »
I'm seriously contemplating just getting the FX888, a 1lb spool of kester 44, and a soldapullt for $120 shipped from this place right now.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #732 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:38:42 »
I'm seriously contemplating just getting the FX888, a 1lb spool of kester 44, and a soldapullt for $120 shipped from this place right now.

Probably can't go wrong with that setup. I don't know about that site, but those products are solid.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #733 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:45:39 »

Probably can't go wrong with that setup. I don't know about that site, but those products are solid.

They seem to have good reviews on places like BBB and such. Granted I just got paid, I think it's time I get a legitimate setup.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #734 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:47:40 »
The desoldering iron I linked earlier, has been tested and is working beautifully, this is so much better than a braid, so much faster and so much cleaner.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #735 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:49:05 »
The desoldering iron I linked earlier, has been tested and is working beautifully, this is so much better than a braid, so much faster and so much cleaner.

Awesome. Glad it's working good for you. Although, with shipping, the cheapest I could find them in the US was like $20 on eBay. You can get a genuine Soldapullt direct from Edsyn for that.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #736 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:52:44 »

Awesome. Glad it's working good for you. Although, with shipping, the cheapest I could find them in the US was like $20 on eBay. You can get a genuine Soldapullt direct from Edsyn for that.

Soldapullt's tip isn't heated, unlike the one I linked and purchased, the advantage being, you don't have to worry about timing as such, melt and push the button. However I can't comment on suction power as I have never used a Soldapullt.

As far as application goes for me, it has worked quite well so far.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #737 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 13:55:20 »

Soldapullt's tip isn't heated, unlike the one I linked and purchased, the advantage being, you don't have to worry about timing as such, melt and push the button. However I can't comment on suction power as I have never used a Soldapullt.

As far as application goes for me, it has worked quite well so far.

Oh, sorry. For some reason I thought you were talking about the Goot GS-108. Too many desoldering discussions going on at once, I guess. :)

in memoriam

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #738 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:01:31 »
Oh, sorry. For some reason I thought you were talking about the Goot GS-108. Too many desoldering discussions going on at once, I guess. :)

This is the one I was talking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-220V-30W-Soldering-Irons-SOLDER-SUCKER-DESOLDERING-PUMP-tips-/141013644464?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20d51174b0

Got one locally for around $4. Only the front metal part is heated, rest of it works pretty much like any other desoldering pump.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 July 2013, 21:28:10 by mohitgarg »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #739 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:16:38 »
nice!! keep us updated on how it holds up over time. this is often the trick with things that create and attempt to hold vacuum ;)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #740 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:24:01 »
I did get some grease to lube it ever so often on when I use it. Also, after a long use, I just give the plunger a couple of swift hits without actually locking it in. This has resulted in the iron blowing out some hot solder which was on the inside of the tube as mkawa had earlier suggested.

But I wonder if this would wear down the rubber gaskets faster?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #741 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 15:36:12 »
no idea, but for 4 bucks, i don't think i'd care either ;)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #742 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 21:28:25 »
no idea, but for 4 bucks, i don't think i'd care either ;)

Hmmm :D

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #743 on: Sat, 27 July 2013, 14:52:27 »
Ordered the FX888, a Soldapullt, and some Kester 44, should be in next week :)
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #744 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 20:28:18 »
Alright, maybe someone can help me with this issue I've just run into.  I have soldering experience, so I think I know what I'm doing, but maybe I'm missing something.

I'm soldering wires to very old and possibly oxidized connections.  This is a piece of equipment from the '60s. 

So what's happening is that firstly the piece of metal I'm soldering to is taking a really long time to heat up, which is expected because it's a rather large piece (not a small lead like you'd expect to see today).  That's fine.  But then once I heat it up I can't get solder to flow to it, or get wicked away from the iron onto it.  Is that due to oxidation?  I tried cleaning the metal with alcohol (all I've got for cleaning at the moment).  Any suggestions?  The wire gets nice and solder-covered, and I can stick it through and get it "stuck" through the metal piece, but it's certainly not physically connected to the metal in any sturdy way.  I need help!  :)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #745 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 20:44:34 »
Alright, maybe someone can help me with this issue I've just run into.  I have soldering experience, so I think I know what I'm doing, but maybe I'm missing something.

I'm soldering wires to very old and possibly oxidized connections.  This is a piece of equipment from the '60s. 

So what's happening is that firstly the piece of metal I'm soldering to is taking a really long time to heat up, which is expected because it's a rather large piece (not a small lead like you'd expect to see today).  That's fine.  But then once I heat it up I can't get solder to flow to it, or get wicked away from the iron onto it.  Is that due to oxidation?  I tried cleaning the metal with alcohol (all I've got for cleaning at the moment).  Any suggestions?  The wire gets nice and solder-covered, and I can stick it through and get it "stuck" through the metal piece, but it's certainly not physically connected to the metal in any sturdy way.  I need help!  :)

Try putting some flux on it with a flux pen or brush on type, that should make the solder stick and flow on it.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #746 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 20:57:23 »

sometimes flux just isn't enough and you need steel wool or a stainless steel brush. oxidization is a *****!

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #747 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 21:00:58 »

Solder won't bind to stuff that are heavily oxidized or corroded. If it's really bad, first try some physical abrasion, then use flux. RA flux works best, but must be cleaned off after soldering, otherwise it'll cause corrosion over time. The no-clean type works ok too.

Flux is magic :)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #748 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 21:40:15 »
Solder won't bind to stuff that are heavily oxidized or corroded. If it's really bad, first try some physical abrasion, then use flux. RA flux works best, but must be cleaned off after soldering, otherwise it'll cause corrosion over time. The no-clean type works ok too.

Flux is magic :)

sometimes flux just isn't enough and you need steel wool or a stainless steel brush. oxidization is a *****!

Try putting some flux on it with a flux pen or brush on type, that should make the solder stick and flow on it.

Thanks for so many quick replies!!  This confirms my fear.  I really didn't want to clean so many contacts in that way...   :'(
Oh well.  Now I need to go buy some more flux!  (misplaced my old supply)

Once again, thanks a bunch!  Much appreciated.  :)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #749 on: Mon, 29 July 2013, 22:40:15 »
also keep in mind that there's more than one way to heat things. there is contact and there is LAMINAR FLOW OF VERY HOT FLUIDS. basically, take a huge effing hot air gun and heat those oxidated suckers up, then take something really abrasive and abrade the **** out of it while it's hot.