Author Topic: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper  (Read 922374 times)

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
Re: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper
« Reply #700 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 12:23:35 »
hey guys been looking around and i havent found any info on saving the existing firmware on the pcb.

i got a pre flashed kmac2 and i was wondering if anyone knew any way of backing up the existing firmware on the board before flashing it with the files generated by this software.

what you can do is to generate the original kmac2 firmware with the kbdmod keymapper. you can always revert back to kmac2 firmware by flashing the generated hex file back to your kmac2

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #701 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 13:50:30 »
hey guys been looking around and i havent found any info on saving the existing firmware on the pcb.

i got a pre flashed kmac2 and i was wondering if anyone knew any way of backing up the existing firmware on the board before flashing it with the files generated by this software.

Also, the tool that programs the firmware, Flip, can also be used to download the firmware.  Instead of loading the .hex and then doing the usual erase/program/verify, you can do "Read Target Memory" and then "save buffer"

I've not used this function for the purpose of backing up firmware, but it's there.

EDIT: Nevermind.  It appears KMACs have device protection set.

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #702 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 14:21:42 »

Also, the tool that programs the firmware, Flip, can also be used to download the firmware.  Instead of loading the .hex and then doing the usual erase/program/verify, you can do "Read Target Memory" and then "save buffer"

I've not used this function for the purpose of backing up firmware, but it's there.

is the hex file generated from kbdmod keymapper going to be different if we were to save the buffers as hex?

Also, duck boards are locked too.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #703 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 14:28:37 »

is the hex file generated from kbdmod keymapper going to be different if we were to save the buffers as hex?

Sorry, don't misunderstand.  Using Flip to try and save the firmware (although it appears that doesn't work) will have no effect at all  on what you generate using the kbdmod keymapper.  They are completely separate things.  You use the keymapper to generate a .hex file.  That .hex file is then programmed to the board.  Attempting to download from the board is unrelated.

Easy AVR and kbdmod produce completely separate .hex files.  They are different firmwares with different features.  I prefer mine but I'm biased :)

Offline zennasyndroxx

• It's good to be back!
« Reply #704 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 14:36:50 »

Sorry, don't misunderstand.  Using Flip to try and save the firmware (although it appears that doesn't work) will have no effect at all  on what you generate using the kbdmod keymapper.  They are completely separate things.  You use the keymapper to generate a .hex file.  That .hex file is then programmed to the board.  Attempting to download from the board is unrelated.

Easy AVR and kbdmod produce completely separate .hex files.  They are different firmwares with different features.  I prefer mine but I'm biased :)

yes, they produce different hex files. what i was saying is that if we were able to download or backup the hex files from the board, and they are the same hex files as compared to the ones generated (provided that you're backing up OG firmware, comparing with generated firmware from OG keymapper with the same layout) then there isn't any need to make a backup from your board. even if we would like to backup from our board, the device is locked so we can't do that. so why not just generate from the original keymapper?

And yes, easy avr > some original firmware, we're on the same page here :D

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #705 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 15:46:34 »
I've never tried it.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #706 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 15:51:15 »
New release today.

I got rid of the FN_LOCK LED which would light up if any function layer was locked.  Instead, there is FN_ACTIVE through FN9_ACTIVE.  You can pick exactly which layer you want to indicate, and they illuminate even if the layer isn't locked.

Also I added a new backlight mode: Erosion.  It's basically the opposite of Reactive.  It always moves towards max brightness and stays there if you don't press any keys.  Then, each keypress dims it a little bit, but it will quickly come back if you don't keep typing.  Are you fast enough to extinguish the backlight?

Offline radish

« Reply #707 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 16:22:00 »
is there any way to get around the device protection? i would feel much better knowing that if something goes wrong i can load the original firmware and send it in for repairs rather then relying on a generic generated one.

in flip i pretty followed what you said and got the same result. i read the firmware... and it spits out device protection error. if i save it it only saves a 1kb hex file that has nothing in it.

LZ CP

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #708 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 17:22:37 »
is there any way to get around the device protection? i would feel much better knowing that if something goes wrong i can load the original firmware and send it in for repairs rather then relying on a generic generated one.

in flip i pretty followed what you said and got the same result. i read the firmware... and it spits out device protection error. if i save it it only saves a 1kb hex file that has nothing in it.
Nah,  just go with the original suggestion.  If you can't figure out the korean tool, you can just ask one of us.  It's not a big deal.

Like I said in the FAQ, I've programmed all kinds of crap on my boards and I've never bricked it.

If you have serious anxiety over it, maybe custom ROMs aren't for you.  It's okay, KMAC is still the best there is.

Offline radish

« Reply #709 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 17:47:25 »
i come from more of a mobile realm... so flashing kernels and doing low level stuff is easy enough... but i am not good enough with programming to get myself out of any bind. but thats good to hear. ill take the plunge later tonight i guess. having a 86 kbd layout is really driving me nuts. a fn is way more important at this point. i have a nerd  pcb in the mail as well.. so i guess practicing on here... would be ideal.

LZ CP

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #710 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 17:57:58 »
i come from more of a mobile realm... so flashing kernels and doing low level stuff is easy enough... but i am not good enough with programming to get myself out of any bind. but thats good to hear. ill take the plunge later tonight i guess. having a 86 kbd layout is really driving me nuts. a fn is way more important at this point. i have a nerd  pcb in the mail as well.. so i guess practicing on here... would be ideal.
Cool. If you have any issues, just check in here. There's lots of experience around these parts. I believe with KMAC you can always put it in programming mode by holding caps lock when you plug it in.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #711 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 19:44:20 »
I just re-uploaded today's build.  This time without the bugs.

Offline n7

« Reply #712 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 20:53:31 »
I just tried doing a build for my Frosty Flake v1 with the 20150301 build, but was getting garbage output (keys seemed to be mapped to random characters, i'd type a character and get a string of 5 or so characters, my mac would turn down its brightness, etc)

I was able to build successfully by rolling back to 20150223. No gripes, I'm grateful for this program - just figured you might want to be aware / others if they have the same issue. It's a little funny, because today is the first day I have decided to mess with my keyboard's firmware in months  :))

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #713 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 21:06:33 »
I just tried doing a build for my Frosty Flake v1 with the 20150301 build, but was getting garbage output (keys seemed to be mapped to random characters, i'd type a character and get a string of 5 or so characters, my mac would turn down its brightness, etc)

I was able to build successfully by rolling back to 20150223. No gripes, I'm grateful for this program - just figured you might want to be aware / others if they have the same issue. It's a little funny, because today is the first day I have decided to mess with my keyboard's firmware in months  :))

Ugh, crap.  Thanks for reporting in.  I just rebuild the Flakes and it appears perfect.  Not sure how changing the LEDs could have screwed up the matrix so much.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #714 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 21:35:36 »

Got it.  I cleaned those files up.  Cleaned them up so nice that my #defines for bpiphany's controllers up and disappeared.  D'oh!

I updated the file *again*.  If you re-download you should be fine.  That's why I leave those previous versions up ;)

Offline n7

« Reply #715 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 21:47:37 »
I updated the file *again*.  If you re-download you should be fine.  That's why I leave those previous versions up ;)
Re-downloaded, rebuilt and flashed. Working as expected. Thanks!

Offline radish

« Reply #716 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 22:19:21 »
awesome. i was able to map some macros and feed them straight in to a python console. amazing work sir!

you got my approval.

LZ CP

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #717 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 16:53:14 »
I did something I've been putting off for a long time: schedule usage analysis.  I found some areas for improvement and the next release is going to be much faster.  The keyboard will be bumped to a 1000Hz polling rate.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #718 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 09:40:29 »
Man, those ATmega32U2 chips in the bpiphany controllers are a pain.  Only a kilobyte?  That's it? 1024 is all I get??  I've got an 8x18 matrix to track!! ugh.  The newest build uses every single byte of memory, counting reserved stack space.   ...mumble...damn asynchronous USB using up all my stack...mumble...

Offline RavenII

« Reply #719 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:32:32 »
Man, those ATmega32U2 chips in the bpiphany controllers are a pain.  Only a kilobyte?  That's it? 1024 is all I get??  I've got an 8x18 matrix to track!! ugh.  The newest build uses every single byte of memory, counting reserved stack space.   ...mumble...damn asynchronous USB using up all my stack...mumble...

Could this be bad for future potential builds?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #720 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:35:31 »
Nah.  I'll always be able to build it. The small hardware just doesn't get all the features, that's all. I use a Black Petal so I need to keep it going for my own good ;).

Offline RavenII

« Reply #721 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 12:56:33 »
Ah, gotcha, I'm hoping to get my hands on a QFR + Frosty Flake...

Offline waffle418

« Reply #722 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 22:27:09 »
I just got an older GON MxMini and it uses the ps2avr adapter.  I want to get a second one so I don't have to move them from office to the the house and vice versa.  Do you think this will work?  If so, how do I acquire one :D

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #723 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 22:32:10 »
Sorry,  not supported :(

Offline waffle418

« Reply #724 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 08:22:37 »
Sorry,  not supported :(

No worries, I appreciate the quick response!

Offline vicibz

« Reply #725 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 06:57:11 »
I got rid of the FN_LOCK LED which would light up if any function layer was locked.  Instead, there is FN_ACTIVE through FN9_ACTIVE.  You can pick exactly which layer you want to indicate, and they illuminate even if the layer isn't locked.

Nice. Would it be possible to add "FNX_ACTIVE" (or whatever) which would illuminate for any Fn active?
Thanks

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #726 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 08:52:12 »
Yeah, that's probably a good idea

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #727 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 12:01:05 »
It's up.

Offline vicibz

« Reply #728 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 14:14:48 »

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #729 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 15:48:28 »
Is there some reason that holding down backslash while typing a letter would cause an additional backslash to appear after the letter?

So "\q" often turns into "\q\" if i don't lift my finger up quickly enough. This only seems to happen under Linux, not OSX.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #730 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 15:56:27 »
This is a known issue with NKRO in Linux.  You can disable it in the config console.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #731 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 15:59:24 »
(known issue with Linux, not with the firmware)

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #732 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 22:42:52 »
Is there/would there ever be a way to record macros on the fly?

By the way, I love this firmware and I recommend it every chance I can! (which is often right now)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #733 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 23:40:34 »

By the way, I love this firmware and I recommend it every chance I can! (which is often right now)
Give me more details about how you would want it to work. When I'm not on my phone I'll write out my full thoughts on the matter.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #734 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 23:44:38 »

PS thanks for your support, it means a lot to me.  The code has really solidified over the past few versions to the point that I'm actually happy with it, which is saying a lot given the stuff I do outside my hobbies.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #735 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 08:15:19 »

Give me more details about how you would want it to work. When I'm not on my phone I'll write out my full thoughts on the matter.

My thoughts right now are something along the line of sending a scancode to signal recording has started. You would then have to send the scancode for one of your macro registers, which would signify that you would like to record to that macro register. You would begin to type out your macro, then when you are done, you would send the scancode for record again. (or alternatively, a different recording stop scancode)

Maybe reserve a couple of macro registers as on-the-fly registers so you don't accidentally record over a preset macro?

SCANCODE_MACRORECORD
SCANCODE_M8
select * from table where
SCANCODE_MACRORECORD

Something like that?

I don't know the internals of how you store/retrieve from the macro registers, so this could just be a pipe-dream.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #736 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 09:50:11 »
Okay so first of all, this is already supported in the RAM macro.  You press record, type out what you want, and press record again.  Then you press play to send what you recorded.  That is available and working.

I assume what you're talking about is recording macros on the fly to non-volatile memory so it can survive a power loss.  Let's talk about that.

Right now, M1 through M14 are stored in Flash memory with the program and layer maps.  The macros are entered into the GUI, then packed into the macro buffer, then programmed.  They get packed in one after another so it doesn't matter how long or short any individual macro is, as long as all of them together fit into the reserved space for macros.  When you press a M? key, it looks up the start index of that key's macro and just reads scancodes out of flash until it hits a terminator.

I like this approach for a few reasons.  The GUI makes changing macros is low effort, and you can see what you're scripting so no typos.  You can also add things to the macro that can't be typed.

Now, let's consider how this would be done on the fly.  They keyboard can't reprogram its own Flash memory, so your only option is EEPROM.  So, we reserve a part of EEPROM for the config settings that are already there, then we use the rest for macros.  Since these macros can be changed at any time, I can't pack them in tightly like in Flash.  The AVRs have very little RAM so I'll not be able to re-organize the macro buffer when new macros are recorded.  Instead, I'll have to split it up equally and restrict the max length of any individual macro.  Depending on the number of macros we try to fit, this could be unreasonably short.

But say we make a compromise and implement it.  Now you can record a permanent macro the way you described.  Maybe you make a mistake and have to redo it 20% of the time, but that's not such a big deal.  However if you are constantly re-recording macros to use temporarily, you now have to worry about EEPROM wear-out and you could have just used RAM instead which has no wear-out.  If you record it once and don't change it for months, you could have just used Flash.  The use case for keyboard-programmable non-volatile macros is narrow.

Okay, so that's why the code is currently the way it is.  But I understand that people want this and TMK already does it, so I'm willing to give it a try.

But let's plan it well.  How many macros should be this way, and what is the required max length?  I need to get requirements before I can make a design.

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #737 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 12:02:03 »
To be honest, I did not know about the RAM macro! That sounds like it would suit my needs quite well! As a developer myself, I certainly understand those constraints and agree with them. Having flexibility in the size of your macros instead of x = m / 14 seems like a better use of space. Personally, it sounds like the RAM macro would work just fine for me.

It sounds like if other people have been requesting this they may have better input for their use cases. Mine are mostly short repetitive command-line tasks.

Thank you for being so responsive and forthcoming about the internals and thinking behind your process. It's been very enlightening.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #738 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 14:17:28 »
Cool give that RAM macro a try, see if it's useful.

Of course, the EEPROM is just sitting there, it would be nice if we could use it.  The commonly used AVRs have 1kB available.  I'm using only a few bytes for the config settings.  I can only think of two candidates for the rest of that space: metrics and macros.

Each macro character takes two bytes, one for modifier map and one for scan code.  So if I reserved half of EEPROM for a recordable macro, that would allow room 256 characters.  That's a lot for one macro.

Metrics is a tough problem.  Keeping long term tallys of things takes a lot of memory, which AVRs don't generally have, but there might be something there.  Off the top of my head, I can imagine tracking WPM.  Calculating a heat-map might be a stretch goal.

I've got the idea in my head now, so something will likely come of it.  It will probably take at least a week for some ideas to mature before escaping through my fingers.

Offline TLSC.wipeOut

• "Who dares, wins"
« Reply #739 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 18:36:14 »
Hi metalliqaz! just wondering if you will be implementing some support for the Octagon 75% board?
thanks!
OTD 456GT with Lubricated 68g Gold Spring MX Clears and GMK Dolch Keycap set

WTB: KMAC2 kit

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #740 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 18:42:31 »
Hi metalliqaz! just wondering if you will be implementing some support for the Octagon 75% board?
thanks!

Yes, assuming the following conditions are met:
  • It uses a USB AVR part (like ATmega32U4, ATmega32U2, AT90USB1286, etc)
  • It has an accessible bootloader
  • I won't own one, so I'll need a hardware specification provided
  • I won't own one, so I'll need a volunteer to test it
Same goes for RedScarf boards.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #741 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 19:11:50 »
thanks!

Yes, assuming the following conditions are met:
  • It uses a USB AVR part (like ATmega32U4, ATmega32U2, AT90USB1286, etc)
  • It has an accessible bootloader
  • I won't own one, so I'll need a hardware specification provided
  • I won't own one, so I'll need a volunteer to test it
Same goes for RedScarf boards.

Scratch all that.  Looks like someone posted TMK support, so I can just get the spec from there.  I'll add support. :)

Offline RavenII

« Reply #742 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:50:44 »
I don't know if you remember a while back, me asking about support for a Planck...you saying that it's not a hard wired (it's hand wired) so the inconsistency throws a monkey in the wrench...? Well, Jack announced that they have a PCB, and best of all, it's backlit...AND has an ATmega32U4. Let us all rejoice.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #743 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:54:16 »
I don't know if you remember a while back, me asking about support for a Planck...you saying that it's not a hard wired (it's hand wired) so the inconsistency throws a monkey in the wrench...? Well, Jack announced that they have a PCB, and best of all, it's backlit...AND has an ATmega32U4. Let us all rejoice.

Yeah I think I saw on Reddit or something that they were going to make a PCB.  Is it out yet?

Offline RavenII

« Reply #744 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 14:58:25 »

Yeah I think I saw on Reddit or something that they were going to make a PCB.  Is it out yet?

Few more weeks....I can't explain my excitement. Also, do you have a donation link?...

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #745 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:21:08 »
No donate link.  Enjoy it for free.

Offline RavenII

« Reply #746 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 15:28:36 »
No donate link.  Enjoy it for free.

You're truly something else man, I can't express my gratitude enough.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #747 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 16:58:28 »
Just like to let you know article on very interesting trick by komar.
I didn't try this myself yet so far but I think we can program flash from keyboard firmware, if I understand it correctly. And I think komar's GH60 firmware uses this trick for updating keymap.

http://blog.komar.be/using-atmels-dfu-bootloader-abi-on-atmega32u4-in-avr-gcc/

They keyboard can't reprogram its own Flash memory

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #748 on: Wed, 11 March 2015, 18:00:37 »
Just like to let you know article on very interesting trick by komar.
I didn't try this myself yet so far but I think we can program flash from keyboard firmware, if I understand it correctly. And I think komar's GH60 firmware uses this trick for updating keymap.

http://blog.komar.be/using-atmels-dfu-bootloader-abi-on-atmega32u4-in-avr-gcc/

They keyboard can't reprogram its own Flash memory

Yeah that's a good post.  I have actually read through the DFU spec so I've seen those functions, however I've never considered using them.  Never had a need that was worth the trouble.  As it stands right now my macro design would not really be able to make use of it, but if I have something else in the future that can't be stored in EEPROM, I'll remember. 

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #749 on: Fri, 13 March 2015, 12:45:02 »
This is a known issue with NKRO in Linux.  You can disable it in the config console.

Switching to 6KRO did not fix the issue, unfortunately. I tried the two 6KRO modes and I still had this issue.