Author Topic: Orion V2 Kustom TKL Group Buy  (Read 1221110 times)

Offline wangbwhz

Re: Orion V2 Kustom TKL Group Buy
« Reply #750 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 02:18:20 »
do u know when Octagon GB will start? :D
My Precious¬

Offline nguyenkimtam

• Shin
« Reply #751 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 06:05:07 »
do u know when Octagon GB will start? :D
I think it will start next year , because they still not ship Orion v2 for international order :thumb:

Offline slushi

« Reply #752 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 15:51:38 »
If by any chance, someone would want to part with their order for the Orion, please let me know. I'll be glad to take it over for you. Just PM me the details of your choices. Otherwise, good luck all in getting an insanely nice looking board!

HHKB Pro 2

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #753 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 09:51:46 »
Hello guys, I am going to let go of my spot for the Orion V2.
This is one of the very few orders with the ALPS combo so I hope that it will get picked up shortly.

FrostyToast
Silver Winkeyless
Acrylic Angled Bottom
Plastic Plate
ALPS Plate and PCB
$433.61
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #754 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 09:57:41 »
This is one of the very few orders with the ALPS combo so I hope that it will get picked up shortly.

FrostyToast
Silver Winkeyless
Acrylic Angled Bottom
Plastic Plate
ALPS Plate and PCB
$433.61

No...
We're so close!  :p
Zealio Master Race

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #755 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 10:00:01 »

FrostyToast
Silver Winkeyless
Acrylic Angled Bottom
Plastic Plate
ALPS Plate and PCB
$433.61

No...
We're so close!  :p

There will be another kustom ALPS board eventually. A TKL board is nothing to cry over.
Still hurts though.

Offline slushi

« Reply #756 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 13:02:00 »
Dangit, I would be all over your order but I was hoping for a MX set  :(

HHKB Pro 2

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #757 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 14:07:04 »

His order comes with a plastic plate and mx pcb. If you decide to pick it up I'd be happy to take the alps combo off of you.

That goes to anyone who would want to pick up frosty's order. Lmk!

Offline slushi

« Reply #758 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 14:09:29 »

His order comes with a plastic plate and mx pcb. If you decide to pick it up I'd be happy to take the alps combo off of you.

That goes to anyone who would want to pick up frosty's order. Lmk!

Thanks for the heads up! Frosty - you have a PM!

HHKB Pro 2

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #759 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 23:15:49 »
anyone know/think these pin receptacles could fit in the duck PCB? The datasheet says the diameter is .058mm..so could anyone tell me the diameter of the the switch mounting hole?

edit:sorry forgot to include the link https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0305-2-15-15-47-27-10-0/ED90333-ND/1801940
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 October 2015, 23:22:58 by ccc24 »

Offline ika

« Reply #760 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 00:17:32 »
anyone know/think these pin receptacles could fit in the duck PCB? The datasheet says the diameter is .058mm..so could anyone tell me the diameter of the the switch mounting hole?

edit:sorry forgot to include the link https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0305-2-15-15-47-27-10-0/ED90333-ND/1801940

Are you intending to use these as hot-swap receptacles? Keep in mind that you'll have to use two different kinds of sockets, since Cherry switch pins are different widths. You'll need the same OD and different IDs. That said, I hope someone has an answer for you, because it sounds interesting!

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #761 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 00:22:58 »

Are you intending to use these as hot-swap receptacles? Keep in mind that you'll have to use two different kinds of sockets, since Cherry switch pins are different widths. You'll need the same OD and different IDs. That said, I hope someone has an answer for you, because it sounds interesting!

Yeah I am, I was actually hoping to test them out on zealios first. But what do you mean by OD and ID?

Offline ika

« Reply #762 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 00:26:06 »

Yeah I am, I was actually hoping to test them out on zealios first. But what do you mean by OD and ID?

Outer diameter and inner diameter. The pin holes on the PCB are the same size, but the Cherry pins themselves are NOT. The OD is what matters when it comes to slotting the sockets into the PCB; the ID is what matters when you want to insert the switch into the sockets.
Now that I think about it I suppose you don't actually NEED the OD to be the same if you plan on soldering all the sockets in. I'm not sure how secure it would be, though. In the smart68 GB thread, feng mentioned the developer of the board worked on it for like two years, so I don't think it's a simple process.

Offline E3E

« Reply #763 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 00:35:13 »

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/430702-custom-keyboard-hot-swapable-switch-build/

This is an excellent read if you're looking into hotswapping.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 00:37:01 by E3E »

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #764 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 00:35:56 »

Oh cool. You're trying to mod your Orion so it will be able to do switch hot-swap?

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #765 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 00:38:14 »

Outer diameter and inner diameter. The pin holes on the PCB are the same size, but the Cherry pins themselves are NOT. The OD is what matters when it comes to slotting the sockets into the PCB; the ID is what matters when you want to insert the switch into the sockets.
Now that I think about it I suppose you don't actually NEED the OD to be the same if you plan on soldering all the sockets in. I'm not sure how secure it would be, though. In the smart68 GB thread, feng mentioned the developer of the board worked on it for like two years, so I don't think it's a simple process.

ahh ok i see what your'e saying. Yeah I think the issue would be getting the correct outer diameter to fit with the pcb, because digikey does offer different sizes and I can always buy a few to test with the switches but I don't have the pcb to test with on hand. But I saw some posts and threads about people testing it, and the website says the termination type is solder so it seems pretty straight forward  ;D. But I think what the smart68 had to accomplish was doing all of it on a mass production scale.

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #766 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 00:44:04 »

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/430702-custom-keyboard-hot-swapable-switch-build/

Yeah I saw

okay nice yeah it seems like he used a different receptacle to fix the issue he had of the different cherry pin sizes

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #767 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 00:44:42 »

okay nice yeah it seems like he used a different receptacle to fix the issue he had of the different cherry pin sizes that ika was talking about. And he uses ones that don't require solder. I think his main issue was his PCB had different layout so his switch mounting points weren't completely circular and a bit ovalish. I guess I just need to wait to see more info on the octagon pcb.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 00:57:59 by ccc24 »

Offline E3E

« Reply #768 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 01:38:51 »

okay nice yeah it seems like he used a different receptacle to fix the issue he had of the different cherry pin sizes that ika was talking about. And he uses ones that don't require solder. I think his main issue was his PCB had different layout so his switch mounting points weren't completely circular and a bit ovalish. I guess I just need to wait to see more info on the octagon pcb.

Are you planning on doing this for the Octagon or for the Orion v2? If you check out some of the pics, the holes on his winkeyless.kr PCB are round, not oval, so these receptacles should fit no problem. The problems he mentions were because of the switch pin holes running into the cutouts for the stem well on the bottom of the switch. Since they are solderless, they had to be secured more sturdily. These can also be soldered too though, but they should hold solidly and be flush fitting if the size of the whole is correct.

The measurements I got when checking the ID of the switch pin holes in a Duck Lightpad PCB were around 1.55mm.

The measurements I got in Cherry pins were .80mm for the smaller stout pin and 1mm for the wider, leafy pin.

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #769 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 12:09:57 »

Are you planning on doing this for the Octagon or for the Orion v2? If you check out some of the pics, the holes on his winkeyless.kr PCB are round, not oval, so these receptacles should fit no problem. The problems he mentions were because of the switch pin holes running into the cutouts for the stem well on the bottom of the switch. Since they are solderless, they had to be secured more sturdily. These can also be soldered too though, but they should hold solidly and be flush fitting if the size of the whole is correct.

The measurements I got when checking the ID of the switch pin holes in a Duck Lightpad PCB were around 1.55mm.

The measurements I got in Cherry pins were .80mm for the smaller stout pin and 1mm for the wider, leafy pin.

Sweet thanks yeah I'm going to buy different kinds of receptacles that fit those dimensions and see which work best. I missed out on this GB so I hope to test it out on whatever the next GB is, which I hear is the octagon. I posted here because people seem to be more active, and i'm sure the pcb's have similar specs when it comes to the mounting point of the switches.

Offline Want

« Reply #770 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 13:09:38 »
I'm not usually one to ask for updates, but uhm..

Update?

It's been a while since we heard "shipping soon".

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #771 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:11:56 »

do you also know what he means when he says he centre punched and hammered the inserts into the pcb? Does he mean he literally just banged them into the pcb?

Offline E3E

« Reply #772 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 20:10:14 »

do you also know what he means when he says he centre punched and hammered the inserts into the pcb? Does he mean he literally just banged them into the pcb?

Yeah, I talked to him a ton through the messaging system on that forum to get my plans for an Alps-build with hotswapping figured out.

Yeah, he did actually hammer the pins in, but he did say in the end, that simply heating the sockets with a soldering iron and pushing them in made the process a lot easier. So that's what I'd go for if you plan on doing this. Taking a hammer and a punch sounds insanely dangerous for both your fingers, the sockets, and the PCB. :P

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #773 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 20:39:58 »

Yeah, I talked to him a ton through the messaging system on that forum to get my plans for an Alps-build with hotswapping figured out.

Yeah, he did actually hammer the pins in, but he did say in the end, that simply heating the sockets with a soldering iron and pushing them in made the process a lot easier. So that's what I'd go for if you plan on doing this. Taking a hammer and a punch sounds insanely dangerous for both your fingers, the sockets, and the PCB. :P

haha ok I see. So the receptacle data sheet says the mounting hole diameter is 1.47mm and you said the duck pcb is around 1.55mm. You think that'll be fine? Or does it have to be completely flush with the trace for it to work?

Offline E3E

« Reply #774 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 20:47:59 »

haha ok I see. So the receptacle data sheet says the mounting hole diameter is 1.47mm and you said the duck pcb is around 1.55mm. You think that'll be fine? Or does it have to be completely flush with the trace for it to work?

I can't say with the utmost certainty as, for my case, I'll have to be drilling out the holes a slight amount because the only receptacles that would work with Alps are too wide to just slip in. I can't imagine the through holes being so off between the WKL.kr PCB and the Duck that it won't work. The next size up on those is a 1.60mm diameter. I'd say going a little less might be a better idea.

If you are worried, then try ordering a small amount of both sizes to see which works best for ya! Maybe we should take this to PM too by the way, unless the guys here don't mind our conversation here.

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #775 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 20:51:17 »

I can't say with the utmost certainty as, for my case, I'll have to be drilling out the holes a slight amount because the only receptacles that would work with Alps are too wide to just slip in. I can't imagine the through holes being so off between the WKL.kr PCB and the Duck that it won't work. The next size up on those is a 1.60mm diameter. I'd say going a little less might be a better idea.

If you are worried, then try ordering a small amount of both sizes to see which works best for ya! Maybe we should take this to PM too by the way, unless the guys here don't mind our conversation here.

ok sounds good, yeah i'll try different sizes..I'll pm you if I have any more questions.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #776 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:10:05 »
The first 30 will be shipped soon. The rest will follow after a few weeks.

Regarding alps for the new 75% I am not sure they will go along with it unless there are significant interest in it. If there are they can  get leeku to make them as an add on.
Sweet. If I can get in on this then this'll be my first Duck. Hopefully it'll have Alps.

Will this thread be the best way to get updated on that? Don't mean to hijack the Orion line just for the Octagon.

Also, how many Orion boards were successfully ordered after the first 30? Just want to know the chances of getting on the Octagon.

Offline ika

« Reply #777 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:20:59 »
I'd recommend you guys start a thread in the Making Stuff Together forum. It's good to have a place for compiled info, even if it's only about a single board. Other people can chime in with their experiences and everyone can learn from what's being posted.

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #778 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:32:01 »

Regarding alps for the new 75% I am not sure they will go along with it unless there are significant interest in it. If there are they can  get leeku to make them as an add on.
Sweet. If I can get in on this then this'll be my first Duck. Hopefully it'll have Alps.

Will this thread be the best way to get updated on that? Don't mean to hijack the Orion line just for the Octagon.

Also, how many Orion boards were successfully ordered after the first 30? Just want to know the chances of getting on the Octagon.

IIRC GH only got 60 units.
Zealio Master Race

Offline E3E

« Reply #779 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:07:44 »

Pretty sure the Octagon v2 is going to happen. The main uncertainty is whether or not an Alps PCB will be included or not.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #780 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 13:46:51 »
I've received an update regarding the first 30 orders are packed and are waiting to be picked up.  Hopefully we get it by next week!

I will update the order changes tonight.

On behalf of truecustom, I apologize to everyone about the long delays.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #781 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 13:52:40 »
I've received an update regarding the first 30 orders are packed and are waiting to be picked up.  Hopefully we get it by next week!

Elton I have sent an inquiry via pm. I don't know if you got it.
I am in the latter half of the orders so I hope that they can be addressed.

Offline elton5354

« Reply #782 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 13:53:28 »

Elton I have sent an inquiry via pm. I don't know if you got it.
I am in the latter half of the orders so I hope that they can be addressed.

I got it. It will be done tonight.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #783 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 13:59:47 »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #784 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 14:01:49 »

RIOT!!!

Offline rainb1ood

• so pretty so plastic
« Reply #785 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 14:24:53 »
Thank you elton for organizing and taking care of us! (I changed my shipping address)

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #786 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 14:48:52 »
IT'S HABBENING
Zealio Master Race

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #787 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 14:51:32 »
Woohoo! Good to hear things are moving along! Can't wait to get my hands on this thing.  :thumb:

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #788 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:04:29 »
I have everything need for this board besides the board 8( I was in the first 30 but had to cancel my order due to my car dying on me then bought someone's order whose in the second 30 haha in just stoked I got in and I am super excited ty Elton
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Want

« Reply #789 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:40:45 »
Hhhnngg..

Offline R1N3

« Reply #790 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 15:44:31 »
Yessss

Offline Frizer

« Reply #791 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 16:22:44 »
This will definitely be the last big keyboard purchase I make. Definitely.

Offline Pemdas

• (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ᶠᶫᵒᵃᵗᶦᶰᵍ ᶫᶦᵏᵉ ᵃ ᵇᵘᵗᵗᵉʳᶠᶫʸ
« Reply #792 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 16:38:17 »

Yesssssss! So just to make sure, do we need anything other than switches, leds, and stabilizers?   
HHKB2 | Orion v2 | TGR-03 Proto | Octagon v2 | JD45 | BlackBird | Mira SE | Viper v2 | SX60 | E8-v1 | Alice | LZ GH v2 | No 1/65 | 910SE | Kyuu | LZ CLS ms | UNIKORN | PhysiX

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #793 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 18:08:34 »

Yesssssss! So just to make sure, do we need anything other than switches, leds, and stabilizers?

Correct. The PCB parts are presoldered, so the kits will be ready to go with just switches and stabs. And LEDs if you're into that sort of thing.  :p

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #794 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:33:39 »

Correct. The PCB parts are presoldered, so the kits will be ready to go with just switches and stabs. And LEDs if you're into that sort of thing.  :p
The whole keyboard is a light show. Pretty sure everyone bought it to make a light show

Offline E3E

« Reply #795 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 20:39:19 »

The whole keyboard is a light show. Pretty sure everyone bought it to make a light show

Except the Alps versions. They won't be as much of a light show, but the RGB will still be nice. :)

Offline orcinus

« Reply #796 on: Wed, 28 October 2015, 21:11:12 »

Yes we do. An Orion v2.

Offline CyriusG

« Reply #797 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 03:13:19 »
EXCITE

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #798 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 07:38:06 »
ugh im not first 30 gg im probably going to randomly have a stroke tomrrow

Offline E3E

« Reply #799 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 07:51:56 »
ugh im not first 30 gg im probably going to randomly have a stroke tomrrow

... And that'll make the next in line very happy! Don't get people's hopes up now.  >:D