Author Topic: [Request] 60% MX and Alps compatible PCB  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
[Request] 60% MX and Alps compatible PCB
« on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 08:56:44 »
Not sure if requests are allowed here...

Looking to design/looking for help designing/looking for someone to design a 60% PCB that is compatible for both Alps and MX.

Like the Duck Mini V2

Would it be too expensive?  Not possible with readily available resources?

I'm DYING for a 60% Alps compatible board.  The Duck Mini V2 PCB is amazing but no one ever sells just the PCB...i don't want to spent 300-400 on a  Alu case because I prefer carved solid wood.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
Re: [Request] 60% MX and Alps compatible PCB
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 09:23:28 »
 :D
+1

we already started two projects (one 60% and one TKL)
however, as far as I do remember, we did have some issues with stabs and some other small details.
I'm not sure where we stopped anymore  ...
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 09:29:36 by agodinhost »
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 09:36:54 »
Sprit was saying that he was planning on releasing an ALPS version of the FaceU, but I think he's put it on the back burner given all the delays in  his GB.

I'm a newb when it comes to Alps, but every project I've seen tends to pair with a vintage board to provide the keys and stabilizers. I think there would be more PCBs that supported ALPS if there were more options for those two hurdles.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 09:46:43 »
Just waiting on Matias to ramp up production for keycap sets now. I don't know when they will be released, but watch the Matias vendor forum for news.

I can design the plates for 60% and TKL, since we mostly have the PCB done, right agodinhost?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 10:22:31 »
:D
+1

we already started two projects (one 60% and one TKL)
however, as far as I do remember, we did have some issues with stabs and some other small details.
I'm not sure where we stopped anymore  ...

Revive please!  I can see stabs being a problem...maybe using MX switches on stabilizer keys or using MX plate style costar stab?  That's why I wanted dual compatability.

Sprit was saying that he was planning on releasing an ALPS version of the FaceU, but I think he's put it on the back burner given all the delays in  his GB.

I'm a newb when it comes to Alps, but every project I've seen tends to pair with a vintage board to provide the keys and stabilizers. I think there would be more PCBs that supported ALPS if there were more options for those two hurdles.

I rely on Vintage boards for main parts and Matias for replacement/modification parts.  I think Matias is our hope for an Alps revival.

Just waiting on Matias to ramp up production for keycap sets now. I don't know when they will be released, but watch the Matias vendor forum for news.

I can design the plates for 60% and TKL, since we mostly have the PCB done, right agodinhost?

Omg you guys are awesome.  So awesome to see all you talented enthusiasts working together.

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 11:29:23 »
so so - all depends on our appouch in the "new" PCB:
I do remember that we were planning to use the GH60 PCB as base of our work - I did one version with the rev b but I'm not sure wich version is out there anymore.

To be totally honest I didn't liked the last version of the GH60 pcb that I saw - I think it is getting way too complex, anyway it's just my personal preference - I'm open for suggestions.

I'll take a look into my files at home today night - I do need to see where I stopped ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline dante

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 22:36:44 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 23:56:17 by dante »