Author Topic: For real this time: Unicomp Issues Statement on a BS keyboard smaller than SSK  (Read 35713 times)

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
https://www.facebook.com/PCKeyboard

http://support.pckeyboard.com/PR/APR2014/

(Really, that's a valid URL)

Here's a screenshot:

It says April 1 but it was posted today.

April Fools?  Maybe.  Maybe they saw the fake announcement yesterday and decided to make a real statement.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 April 2014, 11:26:31 by E TwentyNine »
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
Hmmmmm

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
I still think it's fake. I'm hoping I'm wrong though...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
Ugly. Need real ssk kthxbye.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Lol....yeah right.  I'm not getting excited. T_T

Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
I still think it's fake. I'm hoping I'm wrong though...

I think the announcement could have the real intent behind it.

But Unicomp saying they're going to be making a new keyboard and Unicomp actually making a new keyboard have been two different things for a long time now.
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Feels really fake, but like everyone else, I hope I'm wrong.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
We have been asking them to do something like this for years.  A late April Fool's Day joke, Unicomp?  Really?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Only time will tell if this is for real. I hope it is. If it were I may try BS one more time, since the good old days when all IBM carried BS boards.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
This might be real:

tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Still waiting for red alert cap set from them..... and that's been 2 year now...

So Unicomp SSKs in 2016.... maybe.....
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Then they need to work on their PR skills (obviously).  But yay if it's real, let's hope they can deliver.

Offline ed_avis

If it is true, then it can be expected to drive down the price of the original SSK...

Offline spolia optima

When pigs fly
keyboards!

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
tp thread is tp thread

Offline morpheus

Why can't they just keep the SSK layout?

Anyways, I'll believe it when they start selling this on their website.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 April 2014, 11:53:14 by morpheus »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
If it is true, then it can be expected to drive down the price of the original SSK...

If they introduced a new SSK, but this XSSK (Extra Space Saving Keyboard) is a little too small.

I think the tenkeyless layout is the Goldilocks configuration of keyboards.  Just perfect.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Well, the size is a matter of taste, functionality is gonna be there. I'd prefer the smaller one myself.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
It is strikingly ugly, but I'd sure take it.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
ETwentyNine, this is a BS keyboard, as in BULLSHEET. Don’t you see that the statement is dated April 1, 2014?

To insult our intelligence, Unicomp even did a poor quality software mockup. I’m sure YOU, ETwentyNine, can hack up a Model M and build a more realistic prototype.

Anyway, trust them to be so slow, even their April Fool’s Joke gets released on April 2nd. Unicomp, the only thing I like about you guys, is that at least you make dyesubs cheap.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Still waiting for red alert cap set from them..... and that's been 2 year now...

Agreed. These announcements with the requisite email screenshot come up too often. I won't get hype until I see actual pictures...preferably from someone in the keyboard community.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Agreed. These announcements with the requisite email screenshot come up too often.

It is just a tactic to distract us from our current GBs  >:(

Offline False_Dmitry_II

If it is real, it is very poorly timed. Easier not to announce such things labeled on that day, than have to assure people that it's real.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline 1avid_collector

Another option, since Unicomp is soliciting comments and suggestions at this point:

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Another option, since Unicomp is soliciting comments and suggestions at this point:

That is impressive!

I would buy this.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com

That is impressive!

I would buy this.

Seconded.

That's 2 orders right there. We're almost at MOQ!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Company founded on 1st April, forever trolling everyone.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Here's the DT thread from where those renders came from:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/a-proposal-for-a-new-ssk-t6977.html

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Unicomp just posted on the Facebook thread that it's not a joke.  This is great news, even if the design is not perfect!

Offline 1avid_collector

While it has the original SSK layout (i.e., Function row further separated than the most recent renders) I think this render is still kinda cool to view:

59583-0

And, yes I did all of these as "M'er Forever" on DT. The Unicomp project is no joke, but I feel they need some strong advice so as to get it right and appeal to the broadest possible market. This requires NKRO if gamers are to be interested, and that could be accomplished with capsense. If successful enough, that could pave the way for wireless and programmable variants.

« Last Edit: Wed, 02 April 2014, 13:07:54 by 1avid_collector »

Offline morpheus

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
While it has the original SSK layout (i.e., Function row further separated than the most recent renders) I think this render is still kinda cool to view:

Yes. This is perfect.

tp thread is tp thread

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Cool! I want one.

Offline Snarfangel

Can the UniKinesis be far behind? :)

Offline 1avid_collector

One thing many companies seem to forget:
It doesn't pay to make only what the company wants to make; it only pays to make what their customers want to buy.
Therefore, 2 new product introductions are in order here -- a classic-layout SSK, and a 60% variant. Completely separate and distinct products for completely separate and distinct preferences.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.

What a pretty 60% render!  :thumb:
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline jakkdl

The layout in the first post of that thread are different from the one used in OP.

*optimistic*

Das Keyboard S Ultimate, Cherry MX Blue

Offline 1avid_collector

The layout in the first post of that thread are different from the one used in OP.

*optimistic*

Yes, Unicomp's design is one that I (M'er Forever on DT) rendered for them although they designed it. The renders in the DT thread are based on my own concepts as they evolved with the help of many suggestions by DT'ers.

Offline 1avid_collector

What a pretty 60% render!  :thumb:

Thanks, Zeal! What does everyone think of the "submerged" Lock LED's, which of course are invisible when off so as not to clutter the design?

Offline FoxWolf1

(Attachment Link)

And, yes I did all of these as "M'er Forever" on DT. The Unicomp project is no joke, but I feel they need some strong advice so as to get it right and appeal to the broadest possible market. This requires NKRO if gamers are to be interested, and that could be accomplished with capsense. If successful enough, that could pave the way for wireless and programmable variants.

Agreed on all counts. I like the look of the proper TKL layout you pictured a lot better than any of the other renders. And I won't consider anything with 2KRO, no matter how well optimized the matrix might be. You don't even need capacitive sensing; a membrane with an individual trace for each key on one of the layers will do the job (Skydigital and QSenn both have NKRO membrane keyboards currently on the market using this system). Hell, I'd give a second look to an EnduraPro with NKRO (and a better trackpoint, ideally) without it being a space-saver.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:15:53 by FoxWolf1 »
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline alosec

My hype for an SSK from Unicomp has been lighted once more and destroyed once more

Offline Warduke

I got an email from them this afternoon. I said before that if Unicomp ever comes out with an SSK I would buy one the second it comes out. But this is not the SSK I had in mind. I want a tenkeyless board, not this, for lack of a better term, fugly thing. I really hope that they do come out with a true tkl design, if so then I will getting one for sure. But if this is the design they stick with, then I am not interested at all.
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
Agreed on all counts. I like the look of the proper TKL layout you pictured a lot better than any of the other renders. And I won't consider anything with 2KRO, no matter how well optimized the matrix might be. You don't even need capacitive sensing; a membrane with an individual trace for each key on one of the layers will do the job (Skydigital and QSenn both have NKRO membrane keyboards currently on the market using this system). Hell, I'd give a second look to an EnduraPro with NKRO (and a better trackpoint, ideally) without it being a space-saver.

You have some links to the technical specifics of this?  Because the way I'm reading it sounds like the controller would have something like 88 connectors going to it.

Also, I have to wonder if thin film diodes could be used to get a NKRO on a membrane matrix board.

Offline 1avid_collector

I got an email from them this afternoon. I said before that if Unicomp ever comes out with an SSK I would buy one the second it comes out. But this is not the SSK I had in mind. I want a tenkeyless board, not this, for lack of a better term, fugly thing. I really hope that they do come out with a true tkl design, if so then I will getting one for sure. But if this is the design they stick with, then I am not interested at all.

Please write to them and tell them so.

Attention everyone: Now is the time to respond to their announcement if you want them to change course for the better. Silence in the face of imminent error accomplishes nothing.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:27:13 by 1avid_collector »

Offline 1avid_collector

Quote from: E TwentyNine
Also, I have to wonder if thin film diodes could be used to get a NKRO on a membrane matrix board.

Perhaps, but with a lot of technical challenges. Capsense is known technology; all they'd have to do is take the Model F capsense PCB and revise its layout to match the new requirements, use the old F-style flippers, then revamp the controller and capsense electronics to use the most appropriate chips and circuitry available today.

Offline FoxWolf1

You have some links to the technical specifics of this?  Because the way I'm reading it sounds like the controller would have something like 88 connectors going to it.

Yes, I was wondering about the controller issue as well...

I might be wrong about some specifics, since I'm going mainly by pictures in advertisements (I don't read Korean), but see for yourself:

From an ad for Skydigital's "Nkeyboard NKey-2" model:

From an ad for QSenn's GP-K8000U:
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline 1avid_collector

Yes, I was wondering about the controller issue as well...

I might be wrong about some specifics, since I'm going mainly by pictures in advertisements (I don't read Korean), but see for yourself:

From an ad for Skydigital's "Nkeyboard NKey-2" model:
Show Image

From an ad for QSenn's GP-K8000U:
Show Image

I believe your interpretation to be correct. The diodes would be on the controller board, but there would be many more connections to be made between membrane and controller. I'm not sure of the ability to add diodes to the existing Model M membrane without being crushed by the barrel frame in the sandwiched construction. Not to mention that attempts to solder diodes to mylar would melt it instantly.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 April 2014, 14:38:28 by 1avid_collector »

Offline Warduke

Please write to them and tell them so.

Attention everyone: Now is the time to respond to their announcement if you want them to change course for the better. Silence in the face of imminent error accomplishes nothing.

I just did. I hope a lot of others also send feedback.
Unicomp Customizer 104 - Rosewill RK-9000 - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid - CM Storm QuickFire Stealth -
Pok3r

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
It's not about the money, it's about not having to send any messages - Unicomp
I love Elzy

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
I believe your interpretation to be correct. The diodes would be on the controller board, but there would be many more connections to be made between membrane and controller. I'm not sure of the ability to add diodes to the existing Model M membrane without being crushed by the barrel frame in the sandwiched construction. Not to mention that attempts to solder diodes to mylar would melt it instantly.

This is why I said "thin film diodes".  I'm no EE, but from my understanding they would fit the bill (I'll be no-so-gladly corrected on this point by someone more knowledgeable though).