Author Topic: Acrylic Tenkeyless Keyboard Casing for Phantom, Filco & QFR etc.  (Read 97152 times)

Offline BimboBB

Re: Acrylic Tenkeyless Keyboard Casing for Phantom, Filco & QFR etc.
« Reply #400 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 09:08:29 »

Same here MOZ! :thumb:

You've shown a great deal of transparency in your other projects.  Besides, your TKL case is open source, right?  Those that have doubts (or access to a cutter) can just have the case cut themselves.

Should there ever be these open source files, I am going to find a cutter myself!  :) Still want a Phantom case which is open above the nav cluster.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #401 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 12:43:15 »
The Phantom case (Check my sig) is almost complete, I've been a bit distracted by the Blox project recently, but I do intend to post the final files in the thread very soon.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #402 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 13:24:01 »
honestly MOZ i think you have valid fears in starting a group buy considering just how much demand there will be.

But you have 2 huge advantages,
1. You have a established reputation on geekhack and you give regular status updates, EVEN  if that means you have BAD honest news such as you not being able to get your shipments out in time before you went on an extended trip. sure vad news can reflect poorly on you but running away like this dude did is much worse
2. you are making sure you have a design finalized with kinks worked out before you start any group buy or mass sale of any type/ this specific phantom/filco case group buy he was still working on the design of the case when he opened up orders and even invoiced people. I feel like a total dumbass for paying his invoice already knowing the case had not been finalized yet. never do that ever people, this is geekhack not kickstarter.

Offline nebo

« Reply #403 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 14:07:14 »
I actually have one of your cases MOZ, only complaints were lack of instructions and not all the parts lining up perfectly for the middle teir (which doesn't really bother me + it was an early proto I think). :P

I figured it out in the end but with a few extra parts that I chose not to use.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #404 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 14:10:32 »
I actually have one of your cases MOZ, only complaints were lack of instructions and not all the parts lining up perfectly for the middle teir (which doesn't really bother me + it was an early proto I think). :P

^^ He got the one you made for me MOZ. I was glad to see someone put it to use!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #405 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 01:00:26 »

Is it the one with the middle layers broken up into 4 puzzle pieces? :P

Offline nebo

« Reply #406 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 01:24:40 »

That's the one. For the longest time I didn't think of using the standoffs to hold them in place and was trying to balance them while the plate barely fit. Probably wasted a hour before I thought, "I have like, 20 standoffs. Why would I nee-.....oh."

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #407 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 02:05:49 »

That's the one. For the longest time I didn't think of using the standoffs to hold them in place and was trying to balance them while the plate barely fit. Probably wasted a hour before I thought, "I have like, 20 standoffs. Why would I nee-.....oh."

Haha, yeah that was not even a protoype, it was a test, and making such cases is going to to be a pain, so it was abandoned.

Offline nebo

« Reply #408 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 02:26:52 »

Haha, yeah that was not even a protoype, it was a test, and making such cases is going to to be a pain, so it was abandoned.
Well then, in the GH spirit I'll hold on to it for a while then sell it as a super rare one of a kind for super profit. :P

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #409 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 04:04:27 »

Well then, in the GH spirit I'll hold on to it for a while then sell it as a super rare one of a kind for super profit. :P

Considering you effectively paid $25 for the case you could probably double your money! :P

Offline vampirepanda

« Reply #410 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 12:18:22 »
does this case suits all tkl keyboard? im new to this. i have a ducky g2 pro tkl. will it fit to my keyboard?

Offline nebo

« Reply #411 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 12:34:52 »
does this case suits all tkl keyboard? im new to this. i have a ducky g2 pro tkl. will it fit to my keyboard?
This case isn't going to happen. A lot of people sent in money but nobody has any goods. It's been a good 6+ months now.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #412 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 15:05:36 »
actually some of us did receive a "case", but mine at least has required so much rework to be usable that you cannot in any way call it a finished product. I'm still not finished making adjustments.

My advice? DON'T SEND THE OP ANY MONEY
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline Rayne

• For Science!
« Reply #413 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 18:21:38 »
actually some of us did receive a "case", but mine at least has required so much rework to be usable that you cannot in any way call it a finished product. I'm still not finished making adjustments.

My advice? DON'T SEND THE OP ANY MONEY

seconded!

still trying to get mine to work somehow... im so sad about how all this turned out.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #414 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 21:25:49 »
I have finished mine. I just washed the individual pieces with soap and water and they are drying now. If I ever get time, I will post all of the modifications I have done to make this case work.

Basically, I drilled out all the holes in the bottom layers and added some M3 blind rivet nuts (from ebay) to have something to screw into. Then, I redrilled holes for the standoff locations since the holes were in the wrong place for me. They needed to be moved over a few mm. I went ahead and drilled the standoff holes bigger and I used blind rivet nuts there too. Basically, having the M3 screws screw directly into the acrylic was a bad idea. So everywhere that was the case, I drilled the bottom layer out bigger (5mm or 3/16" drill bit) and added a blind rivet nut.

Last, some of my keys on the left side were binding up on the top layer, so I used some 220 grit sand paper to removes some of the material so that the key caps would not bind.

I also figured out how to mount a sparkfun mini USB breakout board so that I could have detachable USB.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #415 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 22:36:40 »
So whats the deal with this anyways? THings when south and the OP bailed? I see he hasn't logged in since november. Did he keep peoples cash? Or just send out bunk cases?

I remember I almost got in on this.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #416 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 22:46:36 »
So whats the deal with this anyways?

I don't think anyone really knows what exactly happened. OP became increasingly less communicative. Finally just stopped even pretending to try it seems. Curse of the phantom I guess. It seems a lot of the phantom related group buys went sour.

Did he keep peoples cash? Or just send out bunk cases?

Some of both. I was lucky enough to actually receive something from him. I think a few people never got anything.

Offline nebo

« Reply #417 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 00:15:57 »
So whats the deal with this anyways?

I don't think anyone really knows what exactly happened. OP became increasingly less communicative. Finally just stopped even pretending to try it seems. Curse of the phantom I guess. It seems a lot of the phantom related group buys went sour.

Did he keep peoples cash? Or just send out bunk cases?

Some of both. I was lucky enough to actually receive something from him. I think a few people never got anything.

Yeah, I'm out around $130, got nothing no matter how much I tried.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #418 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 00:23:33 »
That sucks guys.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #419 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 01:40:54 »
I've said time and time again, direct screwing into acrylic is a bad idea, unless you want to do it once and forget about it.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #420 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 03:31:37 »
So whats the deal with this anyways? THings when south and the OP bailed? I see he hasn't logged in since november. Did he keep peoples cash? Or just send out bunk cases?

I remember I almost got in on this.
He set up a thread in the classifieds selling coloured sets of caps for TKL boards and also asked to buy TKL cases... Sad thing is that many people bought the sets from him :/

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #421 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 09:52:33 »
Now he's into nude photography.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/police-arrest-man-who-strips-naked-mrt-train-20140314

The police interviewed him over photographing a naked man in the subway. (The online version is a much shorter version of the print article, and the extra details in the print version confirm it's indeed Takaki. Too bad I don't subscribe to the official propaganda rag so I only read it at the doctor's, or I should have scanned it here.)
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #422 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 10:09:27 »
LOL

Offline SpectrumPrime

« Reply #423 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:40:20 »
Hello guys, really excited to push this into group buy. To cut things short, let's go into the details.

I have three questions:
1. Is this group buy still open?
2. Does this fit a Ducky Shine II TKL?
3. Is the Ducky Shine II TKL Plate mounted or not? If not mounted, then it should be fairly easy to remove and place inside the case in which case I'm interested.

I have no clue whether this is easy or not. I want to change the case on my Shine II TKL; as far I know I don't have to solder or desolder anything, my only pressing issue is whether the plate is mounted or not.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #424 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:43:02 »
Hello guys, really excited to push this into group buy. To cut things short, let's go into the details.

I have three questions:
3. Is the Ducky Shine II TKL Plate mounted or not? If not mounted, then it should be fairly easy to remove and place inside the case in which case I'm interested.

I have no clue whether this is easy or not. I want to change the case on my Shine II TKL; as far I know I don't have to solder or desolder anything, my only pressing issue is whether the plate is mounted or not.

Bro walk away this was an epic fail/scam.

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #425 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:45:25 »

I have three questions:

Just start from this post and read backwards through the thread. I think you will find your answer. In short, there is no official "this buy is open or closed" answer, but if you send the organizer any money after actually bothering to read this thread, then you're crazy  :p

Offline SpectrumPrime

« Reply #426 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 16:00:29 »
Well either way the question still stands, if I wanted to buy an acrylic case or any case at all for that matter, could you answer my questions? :)

Offline SpectrumPrime

« Reply #427 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 16:01:58 »

I have three questions:

Bro walk away this was an epic fail/scam.

I appreciate the heads up. :)

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #428 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 17:48:53 »
Well either way the question still stands, if I wanted to buy an acrylic case or any case at all for that matter, could you answer my questions? :)

Sorry, I'm not familiar with ducky tkl. Maybe the vortex case that mechanicalkeyboards.com sells would work? You could ask that in their vendor forum. However, as far as I know, all ducky mx boards have plates. But I only have a full size and that's my only experience. Maybe someone else can chime in.

As for acrylic cases, I don't think there are any active buys for them right now. The one MOZ is designing may work, but I don't think he is going to run a group buy for them so you would have to take the files and get your own case cut. I think the thread about that one is in "making stuff together"

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
« Reply #429 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 16:57:44 »
Are these still available?

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #430 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 17:03:11 »
Alright, can we just lock this thread already?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
« Reply #431 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 17:38:38 »
Lol I probably should have read a little more carefully before asking such a stupid question...

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #432 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 17:52:39 »
I wanted to forget about this GB.

Here it is again.

Sad face.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #433 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 18:02:16 »
Lol I probably should have read a little more carefully before asking such a stupid question...
np, almost a right of passage for newbies, necroing long dead gb's :p
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline nebo

« Reply #434 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 15:41:52 »
I wanted to forget about this GB.

Here it is again.

Sad face.
****. I could use the $110 or whatever it was for a GON right about now.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #435 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 19:02:21 »
The people who were scammed first time round, you have my sympathies.

The people who came along, didn't bother to read the thread and simply bumped it up asking to buy stuff from OP - you don't have my sympathies if anything happens to you.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #436 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 22:07:33 »
I was trying to hide the scar tissue from this, it never really healed. that's money that is lost forever.

plz lock

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #437 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 06:26:57 »
MODERATION NOTE:

THIS DID NOT WORK OUT.

PLEASE READ THE COMMENTS FROM HERE:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=44896.msg1044921#msg1044921

SHOULD YOU HAVE AN UPDATE REGARDING THIS, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR OR ADMINISTRATOR TO REQUEST FOR UNLOCKING.