Author Topic: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper  (Read 936150 times)

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper
« Reply #1650 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 16:09:20 »
Quick q

EasyAVR is easy enough, but my problem is with loading it to the board.

I can program my teensies all day with teensy loader, but flip is still telling me It cannot connect to usb device.

I have put it into boot mode, told atmega in device manager to update drivers from the atmel folder, and still no connection to program the board through flip.

I can program the board fine with tmk, but like using easyAVR more.

It is the satan gh knockoff and Im using Windows 10 with Flip v3.4.7

Any changes I need to make?

Make sure you have selected the correct AVR part in Flip.  In your case it would be the ATmega32U4.  Then try to connect with USB
I can say I definitely have selected that one in flip correctly.
Hmm

Okay so I need to back up a little bit.  You said that it works "fine with tmk".  TMK and EasyAVR are both firmware projects.  The product is a loadable firmware file.  How you get the file on your board is, frankly, out of scope for both projects.  So presumably you have a TMK .hex file and an EasyAVR .hex file.  Just do whatever you do to load the tmk file to load the EasyAVR file.  I use Flip because I find it to be the easiest and most reliable by far.  It has always worked correctly for me with five simple steps.

1. put keyboard into bootloader mode.
2. select atmega32U4
3. open USB connection
4. open .hex file
5. press Run button, then Start Application button

This process is completely independent of what firmware you choose to use.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1651 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 16:35:20 »
Quick q

I can program my teensies all day with teensy loader, but flip is still telling me It cannot connect to usb device.

I have put it into boot mode, told atmega in device manager to update drivers from the atmel folder, and still no connection to program the board through flip.

Make sure you have selected the correct AVR part in Flip.  In your case it would be the ATmega32U4.  Then try to connect with USB
Hmm

Okay so I need to back up a little bit.  You said that it works "fine with tmk".  TMK and EasyAVR are both firmware projects.  The product is a loadable firmware file.  How you get the file on your board is, frankly, out of scope for both projects.  So presumably you have a TMK .hex file and an EasyAVR .hex file.  Just do whatever you do to load the tmk file to load the EasyAVR file.  I use Flip because I find it to be the easiest and most reliable by far.  It has always worked correctly for me with five simple steps.

2. select atmega32U4
3. open USB connection
4. open .hex file

I understand that,
I should have been more specific.

For this board I use the tkg tool and so I'm loading a .eep file.
I never manually program a hex file on the board.

I know this is out of scope, but I figured this would be a good thread to ask about flip issues

« Last Edit: Thu, 14 April 2016, 16:41:46 by Moistgun »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1652 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 17:11:00 »
Quick q

Hmm

2. select atmega32U4
3. open USB connection
4. open .hex file

I understand that,

I know this is out of scope, but I figured this would be a good thread to ask about flip issues

A .eep file is a .hex file that targets EEPROM instead of Flash ROM.  How did you get the TMK firmware on your board in the first place?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1653 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 17:34:01 »
Sorry, for not reading previous posts, but I just have a question. I already asked it on reddit, but I was redirected to this forum.

So: I made an Alt code macro, just like here: https://github.com/dhowland/EasyAVR/blob/master/keymapper/easykeymap/manuals/macros.txt on line 54. But instead of one symbol, for example \ALT(123), I get the caracters for Alt 1, Alt 2 and Alt 3 next to each other... so instead of { I get ☺☻♥. That is very weird...

Thank you all!

This bug is confirmed.  The problem is that the keyboard is lifting the ALT key between the numbers.  This is caused by the fix to a different issue a while ago.  I'll release a new version.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1654 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 18:29:30 »
Quick q

Hmm

2. select atmega32U4
3. open USB connection
4. open .hex file

I understand that,

A .eep file is a .hex file that targets EEPROM instead of Flash ROM.  How did you get the TMK firmware on your board in the first place?
You drop your eep file onto a refresh.bat file in the tmk tkg tool

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1655 on: Thu, 14 April 2016, 23:10:21 »
Sorry, for not reading previous posts, but I just have a question. I already asked it on reddit, but I was redirected to this forum.

So: I made an Alt code macro, just like here: https://github.com/dhowland/EasyAVR/blob/master/keymapper/easykeymap/manuals/macros.txt on line 54. But instead of one symbol, for example \ALT(123), I get the caracters for Alt 1, Alt 2 and Alt 3 next to each other... so instead of { I get ☺☻♥. That is very weird...

Thank you all!

This bug is confirmed.  The problem is that the keyboard is lifting the ALT key between the numbers.  This is caused by the fix to a different issue a while ago.  I'll release a new version.

New version is released that fixes this.

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #1656 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 00:06:08 »
Any chance the Atomic board could be supported? Thanks a lot!

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1657 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 02:22:39 »
Any chance the Atomic board could be supported? Thanks a lot!

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

If it uses an ATMega there's a chance.

If you also post a link to a TMK config there's a much better chance :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1658 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 03:00:43 »
Atomic should be doable, I'm at work, or I would have given it a go.

here is the QMK configuration: https://github.com/jackhumbert/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboard/atomic

Offline simonyunhe

Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper
« Reply #1659 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 03:04:12 »
Got it. Thanks guys!
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline kim366

« Reply #1660 on: Fri, 15 April 2016, 10:53:43 »

Thank you all!

New version is released that fixes this.

It works! ... but not as intended... I wanted dead keys, so I tried Alt + 0168 for example, but instead it prints out the character (¨ instead of ¨ + o = ö). Do you know how I could do that? Thanks for updating, though!

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1661 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 03:40:36 »
Got it. Thanks guys!

How's it going?  Don't forget to post your config (or do a fancy pull request) so it can be added once it works :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy

Offline Siraj

« Reply #1663 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 11:44:23 »
For some reason the key that has Esc and Tilde  programmed to it requires pressing another  key to output.  An example is:  ~e. I pressed  shift+esc because  I wanted to output one tilde but I had to press another key (in this case e) to output  one, which  output the keys together.
Edit: I also have a problem where when I press apostrophe it happens too and when I press apostrophe and another key it puts an accent on a key like í and ë when I do shift+apostrophe and another key. Am I stupid or is this a bug?
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 April 2016, 12:19:26 by Siraj »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1664 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 13:03:38 »
For some reason the key that has Esc and Tilde  programmed to it requires pressing another  key to output.  An example is:  ~e. I pressed  shift+esc because  I wanted to output one tilde but I had to press another key (in this case e) to output  one, which  output the keys together.
Edit: I also have a problem where when I press apostrophe it happens too and when I press apostrophe and another key it puts an accent on a key like í and ë when I do shift+apostrophe and another key. Am I stupid or is this a bug?

You're not stupid, but something strange is going on.  I just programmed my Epsilon with the ESCGRAVE key and it works as expected.  The behavior you describe is very strange.  I'm not sure how the keyboard can even do those things, so I'm wondering if it's your PC?  What locality is your machine using?  Have you used a tool like EK Switch Hitter or Aqua's keytest to see exactly what keys are being pressed?

Offline Siraj

« Reply #1665 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 13:09:29 »

You're not stupid, but something strange is going on.  I just programmed my Epsilon with the ESCGRAVE key and it works as expected.  The behavior you describe is very strange.  I'm not sure how the keyboard can even do those things, so I'm wondering if it's your PC?  What locality is your machine using?  Have you used a tool like EK Switch Hitter or Aqua's keytest to see exactly what keys are being pressed?

Just tried EK Switch Hitter and everything seems fine. http://prntscr.com/at1jiy
I'm not sure what you mean by locality, but for the keyboard settings I'm using US International.

Offline yangdigi

« Reply #1666 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 18:51:54 »
What should I choose to import as firmware if i want to use it with a 16x10 keyboard(G80-9009).
I use a pro micro and one 74hc154.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1667 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 18:57:04 »
There is currently no build that big.  Do you really need such a large matrix?  That size will probably be problematic.

Offline yangdigi

« Reply #1668 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 20:28:56 »
There is currently no build that big.  Do you really need such a large matrix?  That size will probably be problematic.
Yes. G80-9009HAU has two parts. Upper part is 6x10 and lower is 10x10. Now I am using tmk to run 16x10 matrix. I want to try EasyAVR on it to make it easier to use.
134615-0
134617-1

Offline Siraj

« Reply #1669 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 13:04:54 »
Is the KC60 supported? It's similar to the GH60 so would it be possible to flash a GH60 hex file to it?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1670 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 15:29:47 »
Is the KC60 supported? It's similar to the GH60 so would it be possible to flash a GH60 hex file to it?

If it's not in the list it's not supported, but it allegedly uses tmk so sounds likely that it could be added. A quick search failed to find the source code - do you have a link?
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1672 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 16:31:18 »
Thanks MOZ.  It is a lot like the GH60, not sure how to use the alt_llayouts so as it appears to support ISO and split backspace I've added all the keys - hopefully it's clear what's what from the defaults.

Please can you test the attached .py Siraj, if it works it can be added officially.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1673 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 19:27:08 »
I finally got round to fixing my Ducky (my documentation was wrong which had me stumped) and have found a problem.

I'm using ctrl as a 'normal' mode FN with implied control ticked, that takes me to a copied layer with the insert key as a 'toggle' FN.  When I swap to the toggled FN layer the key (insert, as it is again on layer 3) becomes pressed until I hit a key.  This isn't a huge problem, but I was planning on using delete in the same way to go back to the default layer and that is

Also in writing this on the board I've noticed something really strange - left shift works for most letters, but pressing t or y with it outputs nothing.  Seems to be because these letters are in the same matrix row.  Right shift is in a row with ASDF and that seems to work as expected.

Just realised I haven't updated for a while so these issues may well have been fixed already but it's bedtime so I'll have to check tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2016, 15:23:57 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline FletchINKy

• Troy Fletcher, Kentucky USA
    • Troy Fletcher Dot Net
« Reply #1674 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 11:07:10 »
I'm having an issue with some LEDs on a handwired board.

I've wired up three LEDs, to a teensy, and the hardware tests out right. Applying 5.4V to the pin and ground to the Teensy Ground pin (bottom center) lights up the LEDs, but I can't get them to activate except for the on board Teensy light on D6.

In testing, I switched the PULLUP to PULLDOWN on my 3 LEDs, and Green and Red lit up. This confused me even more. Can you spot anything immediately obvious that might be wrong with my configuration or wiring? (Note D6 is not in use, I used it originally (dumb) and then swapped the wire out of it to D7)

Code: [Select]
# The total number of LED outputs (indicators + backlights)
num_leds = 4
# The number of LED indicators (for example, caps lock)
num_ind = 4
# The number of backlight enable modes.  This counts the number of
# options available for the BL_ENABLE key.  Boards without backlights
# should use the minimum value of 2.
num_bl_enab = 2

# Define the default assignments of the indicator LEDs.  The length
# of this list must equal num_ind.  For each LED, the first string
# is the description of the key shown in the GUI.  The second string
# is the default function assigned to that LED.  LED functions must
# be strings as defined in led_assignments of gui.py.  Common choices
# are 'Num Lock', 'Caps Lock', 'Scroll Lock', 'Win Lock', 'Fn Active',
# 'Recording', 'Backlight', and 'Unassigned'.
led_definition = [
    ('Teensy', 'Recording'),
    ('Green', 'Fn Active'),
    ('White', 'Fn2 Active'),
    ('Red', 'Fn3 Active')
]

# Definition of LED pins.  (indicators and backlights)  Indicators
# must come first and be in the same order as defined in led_definition.
# LED_DRIVER_PULLUP is used when the pin is connected to the anode of
# the LED and the cathode is connected to ground.
# LED_DRIVER_PULLDOWN is used when the pin is connected to the cathode
# of the LED and the anode is connected to the power supply.
led_hardware = [
#       Port    Pin    Direction
    ( REF_PORTD, 6, LED_DRIVER_PULLUP ),
    ( REF_PORTF, 5, LED_DRIVER_PULLUP ),
    ( REF_PORTC, 6, LED_DRIVER_PULLUP ),
    ( REF_PORTB, 2, LED_DRIVER_PULLUP )
]

# True if the board supports backlight, otherwise False
backlighting = False

# This can be used to configure different backlighting zones.  Explained
# in more detail elsewhere.  Length of list must equal num_bl_enab.
# Length of each tuple must equal num_leds.  Tuples use the same ordering
# as led_hardware.  Almost everyone should just use an all-on/all-off
# configuration.  That's a list of two tuples, one with all 1s for each
# LED, the other with all 0s for each LED.
bl_modes = [
    ( 0, 0 ),
    ( 1, 1 )
]

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1675 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 11:11:03 »
Are you sure your LED anode and cathode are wired correctly? LEDs are polarised.

Offline FletchINKy

• Troy Fletcher Dot Net
« Reply #1676 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 11:34:25 »
Are you sure your LED anode and cathode are wired correctly? LEDs are polarised.

Yes, when I put 5.4v on the pin and ground on the Teensy ground the LEDs light up. But I was confused when flipping the PULLUP to PULLDOWN made them turn on anyway...?

I also have yet to test if I get 5v at the pin when I press the associated key, and hope to do that soon. I'm currently operating under the assumption that this is a firmware issue
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 April 2016, 11:36:05 by FletchINKy »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1677 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 15:46:14 »
Just downloaded a fresh zip of version 13 and I'm happy to say the FN sticking is fixed, but the strange left shift behavior remains.

It works for most letters but pressing t, y [ or ] with it outputs nothing (these are the only printable characters on the row)  Also on the same row are numberpad 4, 5 and 6 and with numberlock on 4 and 6 do not act as shifted arrows and select text, they too do nothing.  Oh and there's Tab on the row, which also does nothing instead of going backwards.  Right shift works as expected in all cases.

This is on the Costar firmware for the Teensy 2++ you so kindly made for me, so that may make it harder to track down?  No rush :)

Below is a pic of the matrix with physical rows in colours, in case it's of any use.

More
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1678 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 20:19:11 »
Ok I'm back.  I was on vacation and I've been preoccupied with a different project lately:
134790-0

I saw lots of updates on my phone.  I'll try and catch up.

Offline Moistgun

• Slippery When Wet
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1679 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 20:36:03 »
Ok I'm back.  I was on vacation and I've been preoccupied with a different project lately:
(Attachment Link)

I saw lots of updates on my phone.  I'll try and catch up.

That wasnt a very long Vacation metalliqaz, you need a break bro!
 :p

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1680 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 20:50:35 »
I'm having an issue with some LEDs on a handwired board.

I've wired up three LEDs, to a teensy, and the hardware tests out right. Applying 5.4V to the pin and ground to the Teensy Ground pin (bottom center) lights up the LEDs, but I can't get them to activate except for the on board Teensy light on D6.

In testing, I switched the PULLUP to PULLDOWN on my 3 LEDs, and Green and Red lit up. This confused me even more. Can you spot anything immediately obvious that might be wrong with my configuration or wiring? (Note D6 is not in use, I used it originally (dumb) and then swapped the wire out of it to D7)

Okay so if you're using the Teensy to supply power to the LEDs, you want PULLUP.  PULLDOWN is for when you have the LEDs connected to the power supply and the Teensy turns them on by connecting them to ground.  It kinda looks like you want PULLUP, assuming that resistor in the center is connected to ground.

Your config looks good, except for the backlight modes, which should be this:

bl_modes = [
    ( 1, 1, 1, 1 ),
    ( 0, 0, 0, 0 )
]

However it shouldn't make any difference at all with your setup.

Are you sure you've got the port config correct?  It looks like the LED on the left is connected to F4, not F5.  Also, make sure you aren't shorting anything out.  There's a lot of very close exposed wires there.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1681 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 20:52:00 »
That wasnt a very long Vacation metalliqaz, you need a break bro!

It's my birthday and the weather was nice.  I had to go enjoy it.  Gotta keep making dolla bills though, so back to workin' for the man.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1682 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 21:05:01 »
Just downloaded a fresh zip of version 13 and I'm happy to say the FN sticking is fixed, but the strange left shift behavior remains.

It works for most letters but pressing t, y [ or ] with it outputs nothing (these are the only printable characters on the row)  Also on the same row are numberpad 4, 5 and 6 and with numberlock on 4 and 6 do not act as shifted arrows and select text, they too do nothing.  Oh and there's Tab on the row, which also does nothing instead of going backwards.  Right shift works as expected in all cases.

This is on the Costar firmware for the Teensy 2++ you so kindly made for me, so that may make it harder to track down?  No rush :)

Below is a pic of the matrix with physical rows in colours, in case it's of any use.

More
Show Image

Have you used EK Switch Hitter or Aqua's Keytest to see what the computer is getting when you press LSHIFT+t ?  Can you press t and y together?

Offline FletchINKy

• Troy Fletcher Dot Net
« Reply #1683 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 00:32:16 »
Downloaded 13 tonight and it didn't make a difference until I switched to the advanced LED configuration. Then everything started working fine.

Also fixed a bad joint on a column that was causing the white LED to not work while the others worked.

Now all my layer indicator lights are working perfectly! It's like christmas over here!  :p

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1684 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 02:11:48 »

More
Show Image

Have you used EK Switch Hitter or Aqua's Keytest to see what the computer is getting when you press LSHIFT+t ?  Can you press t and y together?

Hope you had a good birthday, sorry to have dampened it slightly with a bug :))  The other project is very shiny so not surprised it has you distracted!

Switch hitter shows exactly what I see, for better or worse - all good except left shift :(

02:27.0257 LShift (0x10, BIOS 0x2A) DOWN
02:31.0533 LShift (0x10, BIOS 0x2A) UP -> 2274ms

02:34.0043 Y (0x59, BIOS 0x15) DOWN
02:35.0057 T (0x54, BIOS 0x14) DOWN
02:35.0790 T (0x54, BIOS 0x14) UP -> 730ms
02:36.0351 Y (0x59, BIOS 0x15) UP -> 2304ms

09:00.0089 Tab (0x09, BIOS 0x0F) DOWN
09:00.0884 T (0x54, BIOS 0x14) DOWN
09:01.0352 T (0x54, BIOS 0x14) UP -> 470ms
09:01.0836 Tab (0x09, BIOS 0x0F) UP -> 1749ms

09:37.0934 Numpad 4 (0x64, BIOS 0x4B) DOWN
09:38.0574 Numpad 6 (0x66, BIOS 0x4D) DOWN
09:39.0089 T (0x54, BIOS 0x14) DOWN
09:39.0635 Y (0x59, BIOS 0x15) DOWN
09:40.0150 Y (0x59, BIOS 0x15) UP -> 505ms
09:40.0571 T (0x54, BIOS 0x14) UP -> 1473ms
09:41.0054 Numpad 6 (0x66, BIOS 0x4D) UP -> 2480ms
09:41.0491 Numpad 4 (0x64, BIOS 0x4B) UP -> 3544ms
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1685 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 07:24:06 »
Hope you had a good birthday, sorry to have dampened it slightly with a bug :))  The other project is very shiny so not surprised it has you distracted!

Switch hitter shows exactly what I see, for better or worse - all good except left shift :(

I'm not convinced there's a software bug.  I have several keyboards and LSHIFT works fine, even on keys of the same row.

If I understand correctly, RSHIFT works on all the alphas, and LSHIFT works on everything except the keys in the same row.  That sounds more like an electrical problem.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1686 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 07:53:54 »

I'm not convinced there's a software bug.  I have several keyboards and LSHIFT works fine, even on keys of the same row.

If I understand correctly, RSHIFT works on all the alphas, and LSHIFT works on everything except the keys in the same row.  That sounds more like an electrical problem.

I agree it makes no sense but I haven't touched the wiring since running the board for a year with Soarer's without a problem.  I'll flash back to that tonight and confirm I've not somehow shorted something, not sure how it could only affect one key on the row though. Though maybe it's the column... Only two keys in the column, the other is right shift!
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2016, 07:57:53 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1687 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 08:04:22 »
I agree it makes no sense but I haven't touched the wiring since running the board for a year with Soarer's without a problem.  I'll flash back to that tonight and confirm I've not somehow shorted something, not sure how it could only affect one key on the row though. Though maybe it's the column... Only two keys in the column, the other is right shift!

Yeah we will need more data, because nothing is coming to mind that would lead to this behavior.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1688 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:20:55 »
Had another look, left windows key is also on that row and that's a mod, does that work?  Yes.  Next I assigned right shift to the key but it acts the same as left shift.  I then held 10 selected keys from all over the matrix and pressed every other key and had no problems.

Final test before grabbing food and going out: hold t and press y - all good.  Still holding t press shift (assigned right shift) and t lifts at the exact same time and represses when shift is released?  Strange.

15:51.0453 T (0x54, BIOS 0x14) DOWN
15:51.0874 Y (0x59, BIOS 0x15) DOWN
15:51.0974 Y (0x59, BIOS 0x15) UP -> 100ms
15:53.0656 T (0x54, BIOS 0x14) UP -> 2203ms
15:53.0656 RShift (0x10, BIOS 0x36) DOWN
15:53.0807 T (0x54, BIOS 0x14) DOWN
15:53.0807 RShift (0x10, BIOS 0x36) UP -> 150ms
15:54.0468 T (0x54, BIOS 0x14) UP -> 666ms

Will have to find where I put the config for Soarers...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1689 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 12:48:37 »
That's good information.  What if you assign a random key like PgUp to the left shift button.  It has the same behavior?  And if you assign shift to, like, the Caps button, I assume that all works fine as well.

Man, this still really sounds electrical to me.  Seems clear that EasyAVR actually detecting an open circuit when you press the T key.  I don't understand how Soarer's could work.  Have you tried increasing the setup wait time?

Also can you post your board config?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1690 on: Tue, 19 April 2016, 13:55:32 »
I've tweaked nothing from defaults, it's unusable without capital T's so until this is sorted I must use another board :))

Will try other things later but for now you can have a look at the config.

Edit:  Turns out Soarer's doesn't play nice with 64bit Windows or Linux (or perhaps it's the alcohol?) so I'll have to try again tomorrow
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 April 2016, 19:06:57 by suicidal_orange »
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kasakka

« Reply #1691 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 02:23:26 »
So I just used EasyAVR to program my Satan GH60. Very nice software, thanks a lot!

I did notice a few issues though:
  • Instructions for programming firmware on Windows don't mention that after installing Atmel Flip and going into bootloader mode, you need to go to Device Manager and update the drivers for the controller from the Atmel flip "usb" folder.
  • The right shift and extra key next to it (typically Fn) in the Satan GH60 "All keys" layout are switched. So instead of what looks like a Shift key I have to map the smaller key next to it.

Also is there any way to use EasyAVR to control LEDs individually? For example if I want that with the backlight in "Reactive" mode only the key I press is lit?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #1692 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 03:15:57 »
Also is there any way to use EasyAVR to control LEDs individually? For example if I want that with the backlight in "Reactive" mode only the key I press is lit?

Not currently, unless each LED is mapped to an individual pin on the controller. All the LEDs or predfined zones on most backlit boards are controlled via a single pin.

Offline kasakka

« Reply #1693 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 05:31:45 »

Not currently, unless each LED is mapped to an individual pin on the controller. All the LEDs or predfined zones on most backlit boards are controlled via a single pin.

That's what I thought.
/_
Another question, is it possible to combine a layer toggle and num lock on/off? I have the numpad on layer 2 and when switching to that layer would like to turn num lock on and back off when changing to default layer. I figure I'd need to use the macro functionality for that but I didn't find any info on whether you can use FN keys in them.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1694 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 09:25:16 »
That's what I thought.
/_
Another question, is it possible to combine a layer toggle and num lock on/off? I have the numpad on layer 2 and when switching to that layer would like to turn num lock on and back off when changing to default layer. I figure I'd need to use the macro functionality for that but I didn't find any info on whether you can use FN keys in them.

I'm actually planning that feature already!  If you read through my Sigma project post you will find it mentioned.  It will be integrated as I work that project.

Offline kasakka

« Reply #1695 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 11:17:49 »
That's what I thought.
/_

I'm actually planning that feature already!  If you read through my Sigma project post you will find it mentioned.  It will be integrated as I work that project.

Great news! In the meantime I'll use a Num lock on my second layer but will definitely change it to automatic when it becomes possible as I don't use that layer for anything but numpad right now.

Another thing I'd like to see is a key to close the config menu, Q for example. Now you have to back out of it all the way to the main menu AFAIK.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1696 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 12:23:11 »
Another thing I'd like to see is a key to close the config menu, Q for example. Now you have to back out of it all the way to the main menu AFAIK.

The config menu can be used on boards that don't have alphas (i.e. numpads), so it pretty much has to use numbers.  Once you get your configuration settled, it isn't really used all that often.  9-Enter-9-Enter isn't so bad, is it?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #1697 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 12:37:59 »
Good morning!

I'm de-bugging the GH-122, and some of the faults go away when I jump the appropriate pins on the Teensy++.  That makes them hardware problems for me to chase.

A few problems persist even when I jump pins, which means the problem could be hardware or firmware.  There are three problems affecting multiple keys in columns 18-24 (matrix columns 17-23):

#1 An extra KP_DIVIDE scan code is sent by matrix positions:
1,17; 2,17; 2,18; 2,19; 2,20; 2,22; 2,23; 6,17.

#2 Various combinations of extra 0,2,5,8 scan codes (note that those are just under the KP_DIVIDE key!) are sent by matrix positions:
2,21; 3,19; 3,20; 3,21; 3,22; 3,23; 4,17; 4,21; 5,17; 5,21; 5,22; 6,17; 6,21

#3 Extra UP, DOWN, and HOME are sent by matrix positions:
2,21; 3,17; 3,18; 3,19

I see nothing in the schematic that would explain this, however problems with the PCB or my assembly are certainly possibilities.  I will proceed with hardware trouble-shooting, but if you could take a quick look at the code to make sure none of the issues are hidden in there, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, more of an FYI, matrix position 4,16 doesn't physically exist.  The ISO Enter key uses matrix position 3,16.  I'll send you some more detailed docs later today.

Thanks as always,

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1698 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 13:00:27 »
Good morning!

I'm de-bugging the GH-122, and some of the faults go away when I jump the appropriate pins on the Teensy++.  That makes them hardware problems for me to chase.

A few problems persist even when I jump pins, which means the problem could be hardware or firmware.  There are three problems affecting multiple keys in columns 18-24 (matrix columns 17-23):

Definitely should fix all the known hardware problems first.  Who knows what effects they could have.

#1 An extra KP_DIVIDE scan code is sent by matrix positions:
1,17; 2,17; 2,18; 2,19; 2,20; 2,22; 2,23; 6,17.

#2 Various combinations of extra 0,2,5,8 scan codes (note that those are just under the KP_DIVIDE key!) are sent by matrix positions:
2,21; 3,19; 3,20; 3,21; 3,22; 3,23; 4,17; 4,21; 5,17; 5,21; 5,22; 6,17; 6,21

#3 Extra UP, DOWN, and HOME are sent by matrix positions:
2,21; 3,17; 3,18; 3,19

What are 0,2,5,8 scan codes?  Also, If I understand correctly, you're saying that when you hold down any of the listed keys, the PC receives two scancodes instead of one.  Is that right?  If that's the case, there's really no way for the firmware to screw up that badly, so it must actually be detecting both switches.  We have to figure out why.  Are you absolutely sure that your diodes are installed correctly?  Also, are you finding that problems are localized on PORTA?  I don't have anything that uses an AT90USB128, so I haven't tested it.

I see nothing in the schematic that would explain this, however problems with the PCB or my assembly are certainly possibilities.  I will proceed with hardware trouble-shooting, but if you could take a quick look at the code to make sure none of the issues are hidden in there, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, more of an FYI, matrix position 4,16 doesn't physically exist.  The ISO Enter key uses matrix position 3,16.  I'll send you some more detailed docs later today.

I created the config by eyeballing the picture of the PCB.  I'm sure it has bugs in it.  It would be a very good idea for you to proof-read it.

It's very frustrating trying to troubleshoot hardware I don't physically have.  A half-hour job turns into a week-long endeavor.  Hopefully between the two of us we can get it working soon.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #1699 on: Wed, 20 April 2016, 15:01:35 »
Thanks.  That was enough for now.  My suspicion is poor assembly on my part, but before I got the multi-meter out I thought I'd send you that note.  And yes, we've gotten both the GH36 and the JD45 (Teensy version) working, so this will be no different.

Thanks again!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case