Author Topic: Aluminum 60% case - GH60, Poker, Pure  (Read 83737 times)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Aluminum 60% case - GH60, Poker, Pure
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 07:41:42 »
Okay, now you're just trying to take ALL my money. Goodbye, wallet!

Seriously, that thing is just beauty. Or sex. Or both.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 07:59:17 »
That's awesome.  I wish I could use Solidworks that well.

Offline Caaaarrrt

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 08:05:14 »
It is awesome, well done WFD. Personally I would prefer the two separate cases, but it's great that this is an option.
Metal Grey LZ-GH - 62g Clears | White HHKB Pro2 |KBC Poker - Lubed Reds w/ Plate and Red Imsto case | Duck PokerCM QuickFire Rapid - Blues w/ red case

Offline sordna

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 10:49:35 »
Make the 2 cases interlock with some grooves/tabs, and a connector in between :-)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 10:51:49 »
What's the advantage of having a 2 part case? I prefer the design as WFD has it. Keeps the costs down and KISS.

Offline epicsilas

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 11:03:40 »
Ok I haven't touched this stuff for almost 2 weeks because I got too busy, but finally got a chance to design this based on what lyson suggested. This one only took a couple hours since it's just a modified version of the GH60 bottom piece. It's basically a joined GH60 and GHpad, with an area in the middle divider for a wire to connect the two PCBs together. Then only one USB cable going to communicate with the computer.

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

How would this case compare to a tenkeyless keyboard in size?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 11:20:42 »

Well, lets compare to a KMAC.  Since WFD's design has smaller "margins" around the edge and is so compact, I would guess it is wider than the TKL by a little less than one key row, or perhaps 0.7 inches.  It is also missing a function row, so it would be shorter by perhaps 1 inch.  Thickness is probably about the same.

Overall a very compact and attractive design.  Function row on left side anyone?  :p

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 11:45:35 »
I'd buy this case, the GH 60, plus the tenkey in a heartbeat.  I've become more accustomed to navigating with the tenkey than with the arrow cluster anyways.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #108 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 13:26:55 »
Ok I haven't touched this stuff for almost 2 weeks because I got too busy, but finally got a chance to design this based on what lyson suggested. This one only took a couple hours since it's just a modified version of the GH60 bottom piece. It's basically a joined GH60 and GHpad, with an area in the middle divider for a wire to connect the two PCBs together. Then only one USB cable going to communicate with the computer.

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Just take my money. Also I assume it'll be possible to switch from a numpad to the regular arrows/modifier cluster much like the TK does, right?

13304-0

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #109 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 14:59:08 »
Just take my money. Also I assume it'll be possible to switch from a numpad to the regular arrows/modifier cluster much like the TK does, right?

Fully programmable! :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 00:37:45 »

Well, lets compare to a KMAC.  Since WFD's design has smaller "margins" around the edge and is so compact, I would guess it is wider than the TKL by a little less than one key row, or perhaps 0.7 inches.  It is also missing a function row, so it would be shorter by perhaps 1 inch.  Thickness is probably about the same.

Overall a very compact and attractive design.  Function row on left side anyone?  :p

metalliqaz nailed it. This combined case of GH60 + GHpad is 14.8" long, and the KMAC2 I have on me is 14.2". Even though the GH60 + GHpad combo has one extra column of keys,  it's only ever so slightly longer by 0.6" because the rims are smaller, while typical metal cases have THICK rims compared to plastic cases. Basically nearly the same length, but no function row makes it overall more compact than a TKL.

Here is a comparison with a TKL plate, just keep in mind that if this TKL plate was in a metal case, the rims of a TKL would make it even longer.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 00:41:06 »
I'd buy this case, the GH 60, plus the tenkey in a heartbeat.  I've become more accustomed to navigating with the tenkey than with the arrow cluster anyways.

How do you know you're going to buy all 3 already without knowing the price?  :))

Yeah it'll look like that CM TK, except without the function row. Keys are fully programmable, so you can set it up for arrow keys and secondary layer as numbers. This depends on the PCB though.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 07:20:53 »

How do you know you're going to buy all 3 already without knowing the price?  :))

I'm watering the money tree in my back yard son!  But seriously, this seems like the first full-out keyboard that Geekhack has/is producing that is on par with the Korean customs and I'd be dumb not to get the whole shabang.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 12:29:22 »
Would it be possible to have them be connectable via the top piece, but actually be two separate pieces, in case we wished to use them separately at will?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 12:32:45 »
Would it be possible to have them be connectable via the top piece, but actually be two separate pieces, in case we wished to use them separately at will?

Genius!

in memoriam

Offline regack

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 16:07:38 »

Genius!

Could cost less/unit if everyone is buying just the same bases.  It's an interesting idea, but with the rounded corners and chamfered edges, it might look pretty goofy with a solid piece across the top holding it together?  I guess the whole thing would grow a little wider by the thickness of the two edges... not that it makes a huge difference...

WFD's design also includes a little cable-routing area to connect them together internal to the case, joining them with the top-plate would mean each unit would have a separate cable... or it would mean additional holes in the side.  Personally I would rather not see additional holes in the individual bases.  Just my opinion though.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 19:33:33 »
Maybe those holes could be from the bottom, and have a routed channel such that they could be connected just the same? Thus, they would not be visible around the sides.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 00:48:18 »
esoomenona, I though about that before I designed the concept GH70 case (joined GH60 + GHkeypad), but the downsides are exactly what regack mentioned. Although having that extra top cover could lock the two bottom piece together is more versatile, here are the "problems":

1) The center divider is really thick because it has to be a combination of both walls

2) There will be 2 separate USB cables going to the computer. If you don't want this, then there needs to be 2 holes cut in each case to have a joined cable, and this is just ugly if the GH60 and GHkeypad are used separately.

3) You'll have to get 3 top covers. Two for the two independent ones in case you want to use the separately, and the large cover to join them

4) The rounded fillet corners in the separate bottom piece force you to also make a rounded cut at the corresponding top cover if you want it to look nice. Even then, that rounded cut in the top cover looks a bit weird when the chamfers are also added. I actually don't think it's even possible to machine that rounded cut.

Offline regack

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 07:28:34 »

4) The rounded fillet corners in the separate bottom piece force you to also make a rounded cut at the corresponding top cover if you want it to look nice. Even then, that rounded cut in the top cover looks a bit weird when the chamfers are also added. I actually don't think it's even possible to machine that rounded cut.

Show Image

I didn't think about making that cut, I wouldn't think it would be worth it, and would be a weak spot.  Just curious, but did you make a render where it doesn't have the chamfers in the top cover?   

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 10:21:42 »
Yeah, here it is without the chamfer or rounded fillet to match the two bottom pieces.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 10:30:11 »
Yeah, here it is without the chamfer or rounded fillet to match the two bottom pieces.

Show Image

That's really not bad looking (without the chamfer or fillet). If you're buying both cases anyway, to have a separate GH60 and GHpad, you wouldn't necessarily have to buy another case to have them attached.

in memoriam

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 10:36:18 »
I guess it won't bother most people. But little "imperfections" like that, that won't match the bottom will catch my attention. If this were a final production piece, I think I would keep staring at it not knowing what to do haha

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 10:39:50 »
Simply don't round the corners on the cases. Make them sharp, so you could use it as a cutting tool if you needed to. :D

in memoriam

Offline regack

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 12:10:39 »
I guess it won't bother most people. But little "imperfections" like that, that won't match the bottom will catch my attention. If this were a final production piece, I think I would keep staring at it not knowing what to do haha

Personally, it would drive me nuts.  I'd KNOW it's there, and I'd then look at it, and it would bother me.  Actually, even the version with the top chamfered there would drive me nuts, becuase I would still see it as two pieces... because the bottoms would be nicely rounded and all.  But that's just me, other people might think it's just fine.

I'd rather have two separate cases with shallow round dots machined out of the sidewall (between the keyboards, but on the inside) and have the cases attract each other with neodymium magnets.

Offline cobraj

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 00:27:16 »
Is the brass disc idea still a go?
Only a few things in this world feel better in your hands than a heavy solid case =D

Offline cobraj

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 00:01:55 »
Also, any idea when production time would be about haha?
Not sure if I should wait for this masterpiece or waste money on something else haha :P

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 02:04:37 »
Soon hopefully. I want to finish up GB obligations first before spending time with getting this made.

Offline cobraj

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 05:36:28 »
Soon hopefully. I want to finish up GB obligations first before spending time with getting this made.

In the meantime, I shall eagerly await =D

Offline vorn

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 06:57:01 »
I'm in for at least 3!! :) Are you going to consolidate your plate design over separate group buys for people not interested in the cases?

Thanks for all your hard work! Looking forward to the GB!

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 26 February 2013, 17:47:53 »
Ohhh my god, my wife will kill me!!!

Translation:
Awesome case, congrats!
I'm in for one (I'm poor 8-)

PS: any chance to get the cad files??? please???
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline Strelok

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 06 March 2013, 14:17:06 »
I'm checking around to see if there is interest for expansion boards for the GH60. The one agodinhost and I are currently conceptualizing requires a breakout PCB and a thin LiPo battery to sit under the GH60 PCB in the case. We may have some run with the next revision of the GH60 Prototype PCB.

Any chance your case design could be modified to have space for expansion boards that have significant interest?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 00:32:56 »
Yeah I can work with you guys to tweak it a tad to fit the extra components. But you'll have to finalize dimensions and exact location first. It's not cheap to mill out those areas only to find out the extra cost was for nothing.

Offline cobraj

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 03:42:01 »
Everyone this appears in my "Show new replies to post" and I see WFD post.. I think it's him saying production is starting soon.

But alas. The wait goes on :(

Offline Strelok

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 09:17:04 »
Yeah I can work with you guys to tweak it a tad to fit the extra components. But you'll have to finalize dimensions and exact location first. It's not cheap to mill out those areas only to find out the extra cost was for nothing.

Once the prototype is done we will decide on the form factor we want to use, that will probably be designed with the next GH60 prototype run.

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 17:59:25 »
Yup, it would be way easier for me with the cad files (I don't have any compatible case).
Any chance?

Only the internal dimensions aren't enough because of the horizontal reenforce lines and the screw holes.
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 16:44:57 »
I'll probably start sending out request for prototype quotes sometimes next week, and may revise it based on the quotes I get back. First one is grey/titanium-anodized aluminum case, red-anodized aluminum plates, and brass discs. Second one is red-anodized aluminum case, stainless steel plate, and brass discs.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #136 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 16:47:28 »
Yup, it would be way easier for me with the cad files (I don't have any compatible case).
Any chance?

If I do make the CAD files public, it won't be at least until the GB or prototype is done, unless you want a very expensive useless prototype. Depending on how fast you guys can finalize GH60 prototype round2, I might be able to wait to add those dimensions in.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #137 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 16:59:27 »
I'll probably start sending out request for prototype quotes sometimes next week, and may revise it based on the quotes I get back. First one is grey/titanium-anodized aluminum case, red-anodized aluminum plates, and brass discs. Second one is red-anodized aluminum case, stainless steel plate, and brass discs.

Those renders are looking super hot WhiteFireDragon. If you need help checking over the drawings, let me know.

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #138 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 18:55:27 »
Must acquire!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline agodinhost

• Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #139 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 19:25:14 »
Depending on how fast you guys can finalize GH60 prototype round2, I might be able to wait to add those dimensions in.
It will take a while, I'm still wiring all modules together to run a concept test ...

Offline noxwood

« Reply #140 on: Sat, 09 March 2013, 22:14:58 »
Will there be an option in the combined caes to put the tenkeypad on the left?

Offline Wraul

« Reply #141 on: Sun, 10 March 2013, 13:51:12 »
Very impressive work. I'm so looking forward to this.
Weight and solidity is one of the things that makes the Korean customs so incredible.
This case will bring the GH60 to the same level.

1. I might have missed this but do we have an expected weight for this case?
2. Will we be able to buy one bottom and multiple tops?

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 15:16:54 »
i seriously cannot wait for this anymore
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline Strelok

« Reply #143 on: Tue, 12 March 2013, 14:12:38 »
About how much space could you give us in this area to house expansion boards? Approximately under the keys IOPKL.

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #144 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 12:29:29 »
You have peaked my interest with this to get along the GH60, even though i don't post my since i mostly lurk :P
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline pix3l_fodder

« Reply #145 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 13:03:43 »
As for the modular top cover, will there be a standard rectangle without winkey covers? Not sure if HHKB is that or something else

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 19:44:22 »
About how much space could you give us in this area to house expansion boards? Approximately under the keys IOPKL.

There will be a brass plate there, so if that rectable is milled out, the hole for the brass plate won't look as nice. This might require a slightly different bottom piece design. If there are no brass plate, then you have roughly 0.30" thickness than can be milled out in the middle, and around 0.40" thick around the top edge. The case is at an angle, so you have a tad more room near the top.

As for the modular top cover, will there be a standard rectangle without winkey covers? Not sure if HHKB is that or something else

Yeah, there will be 3 different covers you can choose from, including a simple one without any blocks that cover the keys.

Offline regack

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 21:12:13 »

There will be a brass plate there, so if that rectable is milled out, the hole for the brass plate won't look as nice. This might require a slightly different bottom piece design. If there are no brass plate, then you have roughly 0.30" thickness than can be milled out in the middle, and around 0.40" thick around the top edge. The case is at an angle, so you have a tad more room near the top.

WFD, do you mind sharing the diameter & thickness of the discs or the cavity for them?  I'm curious for possible placement of other stuff as well.  My assumption is that they are as thick as the depth that has been milled out.

Offline Strelok

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 21:29:34 »
If the holes for the weights are large enough we could just stick the expansion boards in there. They would also need enough room for the wires to the board, that's it.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 22:37:24 »
The large hole diameter is 2" (+tolerance factored in) for the large disc, and 1.30" for the smaller disc. They're all 1/4" thick. Hopefully you can make use of that space. I can increase the diameter more, but that would mean it can't be as deep because the bottom edge will be milled through the angled case.