Author Topic: GMK white/dark grey US/GB full set + 'Gamer' add-on {Closed}  (Read 246117 times)

Offline WinterIsle

Re: GMK white/dark grey US/GB full set
« Reply #750 on: Fri, 07 February 2014, 23:14:30 »
Thanks, I scroll down quickly read through without noticing Ivan has already mention it above.
N9 is nice  :thumb:.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #751 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 07:58:28 »
Generic pack isnt offered anymore really. I only left it as place holder for any add on pack... it will be different, but about same amount of keys and same cost probably. It look like from poll votes it will transform into a 'gamer' set with N5 legend like the scitex function row key in the OP photo.

Offline redskull

« Reply #752 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 11:17:55 »
Generic pack isnt offered anymore really. I only left it as place holder for any add on pack... it will be different, but about same amount of keys and same cost probably. It look like from poll votes it will transform into a 'gamer' set with N5 legend like the scitex function row key in the OP photo.
so will there be another form to re-submit or just fill in the current form?

Offline avtar

« Reply #753 on: Sat, 08 February 2014, 17:22:57 »
Ivan, has the order count changed at all since Feb 2?

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #754 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 03:27:09 »

I was just thinking the same actually.  When the MOQ was damn near halved I thought that this buy would just run away and get there with no hassle at all - I really don't understand why people aren't interested!  GMK caps are sooo nice and you're getting an awesome set here for a ridiculously good price...
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #755 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 06:22:18 »
When the MOQ was damn near halved I thought that this buy would just run away and get there with no hassle at all - I really don't understand why people aren't interested!  GMK caps are sooo nice and you're getting an awesome set here for a ridiculously good price...

Same here, but it looks like the POWER of SP.  They still capture the lion-share of noobs here on Geekhack.  They see bright colours and sure enough like moths to flame, they're attracted.

Very few have ever bought/used GMK keycaps, probably due to all the special conditions required by them to even initiate a production of any keys.  As long as SP is running on here as well then there will always be a failure to meet GMK MOQs.  Maybe through massive propaganda over the years SP has on Geekhack that persuades everyone to purchase their key-sets, I don't really know why GMK is largely ignored.

Just goes to show, give them quality and that won't even be enough to lure them in.  I suspect this will keep on happening regardless of anything else, maybe dropping the MOQ down to 100 may encourage more buyers......... who knows ?
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 February 2014, 06:24:50 by Elrick »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #756 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 06:48:07 »
When the MOQ was damn near halved I thought that this buy would just run away and get there with no hassle at all - I really don't understand why people aren't interested!  GMK caps are sooo nice and you're getting an awesome set here for a ridiculously good price...

Same here, but it looks like the POWER of SP.  They still capture the lion-share of noobs here on Geekhack.  They see bright colours and sure enough like moths to flame, they're attracted.

Very few have ever bought/used GMK keycaps, probably due to all the special conditions required by them to even initiate a production of any keys.  As long as SP is running on here as well then there will always be a failure to meet GMK MOQs.  Maybe through massive propaganda over the years SP has on Geekhack that persuades everyone to purchase their key-sets, I don't really know why GMK is largely ignored.

Just goes to show, give them quality and that won't even be enough to lure them in.  I suspect this will keep on happening regardless of anything else, maybe dropping the MOQ down to 100 may encourage more buyers......... who knows ?

Yeah it sucks really, it's hard to appreciate just how much better GMK caps are until you've got some.

I think another problem were having is the shifting colorway and MOQ on this gb, some people may very well have looked into this way back when and decided not to purchase because they didn't like the colors or didn't think it would reach MOQ. I think in order to have success with GB's your better off selecting the layout and colors and then sticking to them. However in saying that I can understand why it happens, keeping everyone happy is very difficult around here.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline gbohn

« Reply #757 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 11:12:39 »

- I really don't understand why people aren't interested!  GMK caps are sooo nice and you're getting an awesome set here for a ridiculously good price...

If you're really interested in knowing, in my case the 3 three things that put me off this buy are:

A) All symbols

B) The "Windows 8" Windows key (I hate Windows 8 with a passion... unlike Windows 7)

and

C) The color scheme is not my favorite. In my case, lately I like a white background with black or
         colored lettering so that it contrasts the black keyboard case that seems ubiquitous these
         days. For example, I'm buying 'Raindrop 2' and I'm currently using Red-Alert 2.

If Raindrop 2 was going to be GMK, I would be even happier (but I know that's not happening).

« Last Edit: Sun, 09 February 2014, 11:20:19 by gbohn »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #758 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 11:13:36 »
Once I have the add on pack pricing and mock up, and the small change on the nav cluster I am going to set an end date. Either it happens or it doesn't. No sense in continuing to flog a dead horse.

Offline Motan22

« Reply #759 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 11:50:01 »
Once I have the add on pack pricing and mock up, and the small change on the nav cluster I am going to set an end date. Either it happens or it doesn't. No sense in continuing to flog a dead horse.

Any idea if a vendor may be interested in helping us meet MOQ and stocking up on a few sets? Would be a shame to see it fail after all the effort you have put in to make it work.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #760 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 12:03:44 »
Unfortunately it's pretty hard to convince any vendor to make any large purchase on these... I can't offer any price break since I am offering them at exact cost and most of them seem too worried about being able to move them with a mark up.

Offline Poi

« Reply #761 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 12:08:58 »
This buy has been open world wide from the start, just as always. I have no clue why there has been next to zero support/interest from the Koreans. There was next to none on the CMY Esc / spacebars either. As of lately 95% of all orders in my buys have been from North America and Europe.

I think it's because most Koreans don't know this GB. They knew first generic pack, nav pack and etc GB but they don't know that GB has changed. But I think there is already GMK Dolch GB now. So, I don't know if people would participate in this.

GMK mini pack GB was not cup of Korean's tea. They informed of GMK mini pack GB but most reply  was not interested.

Offline redskull

« Reply #762 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 12:22:08 »
Unfortunately it's pretty hard to convince any vendor to make any large purchase on these... I can't offer any price break since I am offering them at exact cost and most of them seem too worried about being able to move them with a mark up.
maybe in the future, this can be a simple White on Black instead of grey full set with add-ons. i think WoB are always in demand. :)

Offline Motan22

« Reply #763 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 12:52:04 »
Perhaps the original mockup has added to the confusion a little. It still looks a lot more like CC than N9. The image could do with altering.

Offline avtar

« Reply #764 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 12:52:49 »
I think it's because most Koreans don't know this GB. They knew first generic pack, nav pack and etc GB but they don't know that GB has changed. But I think there is already GMK Dolch GB now. So, I don't know if people would participate in this.

I guess it would help if someone could act as a proxy on the Korean boards, if not for this GB then future ones. I'm assuming language would be a significant hurdle.

See exactly... this entirely was my line of thinking for this very neutral all uniform base set. You get this base set, then in the future we can make smaller packs of colorful keys to mix and match. It will look good with anything but perhaps black/beige.

Do you think more people will sign up if mockups included any planned smaller packs that showed different colour options?

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #765 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 12:55:52 »
maybe in the future, this can be a simple White on Black instead of grey full set with add-ons. i think WoB are always in demand. :)

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought that WoB are pretty easy to come by and for much less than $120 - I bought a set a while ago for ~$60 (admittedly that had a moogle kit with it and so wasn't complete but it was half the price) - what you're getting here is something that isn't available / isn't widely available...
Black Filco TKL - Stickered, Lubed Reds || Poker w/Plate, Alu Case -  Stickered, Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears || Cherry G80-3700 w/SS Plate - Lubed 65g Ergo-Clears

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #766 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 13:28:54 »
Yes you can still fairly easily find brand new G80 with white/black for far less... and that is for a whole damn keyboard, not just keycap set. It's also easy to find them on G81 though obviously not as good a bargain since the keyboard is essentially garbage. For used you can find them very easy often starting at $15. I do plan to make a small white/black in next mini packs for the harder to source keys that people want though. Probably just a very small selection like fulltouch caps lock, 1.5 mod, 1.25 mod, spacebars.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #767 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 16:51:27 »
For used you can find them very easy often starting at $15. I do plan to make a small white/black in next mini packs for the harder to source keys that people want though. Probably just a very small selection like fulltouch caps lock, 1.5 mod, 1.25 mod, spacebars.

That is why getting a full key-set is so difficult here.  Every time you initiate a Group Buy for a complete and decent key-set - it eventually dies.  Now again you are forced to offer future Group Buys with tiny 'bite' size of keys.  Never enough to ever fill a complete keyboard of any make or model.

Maybe in the end we are all forced to go back to SP because getting a complete GMK key-set is now near impossible.  You are right that people will go on Ebay and buy complete key-sets for far cheaper but you also forgot that they don't have to wait around for months and see a Group Buy fail and in the end, people will never get anything from a current GMK group buy.

There is only so much loyalty that can be gathered for GMK since it has now become like waiting for Unicorns and Dragons to appear on your birthday, for tea and biscuits  ;) .
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 February 2014, 18:22:19 by Elrick »

Offline kekstee

« Reply #768 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 17:14:32 »
Sadly GMK is the only thing you want once you've touched it… besides thick PBT maybe, but sub-dyed that's even worse to source and adapt than Cherry-DS Caps.

Offline redskull

« Reply #769 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 21:29:47 »

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I thought that WoB are pretty easy to come by and for much less than $120 - I bought a set a while ago for ~$60 (admittedly that had a moogle kit with it and so wasn't complete but it was half the price) - what you're getting here is something that isn't available / isn't widely available...
opss, thank you for pointing that out. guess that i was not looking for them hard enough.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #770 on: Sun, 09 February 2014, 21:55:36 »
It's always been my plan to go back and forth between full set and smaller specialty things. For super common colorways I just don't see the point in offering more than the really hard to get bits. I would much prefer to concentrate on trying to make a success out of new colorways or more obscure repros than trying to fight against the used market with easy to get things like white/black and black/beige that can be found for low price on ebay or taobao practically any day.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #771 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 03:53:18 »
Yeah, it's really a shame how Ivan's GMK GBs get dragged on and on with tons of changes to make eveybody happy.

Ivan has by far the best prices! Nevertheless people don't join his GBs, but buy 150$ sets from the Originative with less keys or simple RGB Mod sets for 50$...

It must be really frustrating for you and I admire your endurance to make it work. In my opinion it would be best to close this thread and open a new one when the final mockups are finished. I believe many people ordered this set long ago when it was still about language packs and everything and didn't follow the thread anymore, so you'd have to cope with tons of cancelations and questions.

Just make a new thread with fresh orders, make a hard deadline of ~6 weeks or something and put the words "NO MORE CHANGES!" in big ass letters in the OP. Everybody who then proposes little changes should get banned from the thread  :p

Maybe it works - maybe not. Just my 2 cents on this...

But no matter how this GB ends, I still wanna say "Thank you!" for the work you already put into this!

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #772 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 04:05:20 »
Just make a new thread with fresh orders, make a hard deadline of ~6 weeks or something and put the words "NO MORE CHANGES!" in big ass letters in the OP. Everybody who then proposes little changes should get banned from the thread  :p

Maybe it works - maybe not. Just my 2 cents on this...

I think this is a pretty good idea. I have the group buys forum on watch so I get an email with every new thread, I'll often miss GB's because they've changed drastically since the first email and I wasnt interested at first.

But no matter how this GB ends, I still wanna say "Thank you!" for the work you already put into this!

BIG +1 - I really admire your commitment to bringing us new GMK stuff mate!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline padath

« Reply #773 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 04:18:57 »
It would be great if we could somehow get more of the guys from Korea and China onboard aswell. Difficult with the language barrier but looking at the numbers for the CMY modifier group buy, that wouldn't be making MOQ without all of those extra orders.

+1. Thanks Ivan.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #774 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 04:31:47 »
+1 to what lechnerde says, thanks and make a new thread once everything is decided

Offline redskull

« Reply #775 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 09:11:21 »
It's always been my plan to go back and forth between full set and smaller specialty things. For super common colorways I just don't see the point in offering more than the really hard to get bits. I would much prefer to concentrate on trying to make a success out of new colorways or more obscure repros than trying to fight against the used market with easy to get things like white/black and black/beige that can be found for low price on ebay or taobao practically any day.
+1 much respect to you sir.

Offline quochung1989

• Vintage Cherry Collector
  • Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #776 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 09:19:58 »
I think you should think about advice of LechnerDE, Ivan ;)

Offline gbohn

« Reply #777 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 12:03:15 »
Yes you can still fairly easily find brand new G80 with white/black for far less... and that is for a whole damn keyboard, not just keycap set. It's also easy to find them on G81 though obviously not as good a bargain since the keyboard is essentially garbage. For used you can find them very easy often starting at $15. I do plan to make a small white/black in next mini packs for the harder to source keys that people want though. Probably just a very small selection like fulltouch caps lock, 1.5 mod, 1.25 mod, spacebars.

Maybe I was just bad at searching at the time, but that wasn't my experience when I was looking.

I wanted a complete US style 104 Dual-shot key set. What I found were keyboards that all contained part of a complete US 104 Set, meaning I ended up having to buy 2 keyboards to get all the keys that I needed (and would fit properly).

For example, a Caps-lock or Control  key with an offset mounting stem didn't help me. Sometimes a set would have most of the keys but a few keys that were the wrong profile since they came from a different layout. And the Windows/Menu keys I ended up with aren't Dual-Shot. 

And the spacebars were an adventure unto themselves...

I found G81 keys to be usable, but their stems seemed a bit 'loose', so mounting Filco stabilizers required a bit of 'padding' to make them fit snugly.

At the time, I didn't find any new individual Cherry keyboards available that by themselves provided a complete 104 set 'as-is'.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #778 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 18:47:34 »

He's right Ivan, you are just so NICE when it comes to anything concerning Group Buy options and whatnot's.  He wants to please everyone here on Geekhack but that in itself is an impossible task, almost a deluded fantasy.

You can not please the majority here no matter what, even if you dropped the price down to $10.00USD for 104 key-set made by GMK.  You will still get the moaners, tyre-kickers and general nasty scro-hoggs trying their best to cause trouble and disrupt this Group Buy for everyone because they themselves have no conscious whatsoever.

Ivan needs to get TOUGH with people like that otherwise they will walk all over him and all his honest, hard work will deteriorate.  Meeting MOQ is the most difficult situation to accomplish but dealing with negative responses form moron's will continue to hurt this group buy more than anything.  Sometimes the questions that are asked have already been answered numerous times but instead of them reading what's been posted, they continue to re-hash and disturb the rest of us with those same never ending, idiotic questions.

Even when he decides to possibly re-start this Group Buy I can see he will have the same problems again due to his nice demeanor and decent behaviour.  Some people here need to be head-kicked and put out of their misery immediately so that the Group Buy has a chance to progress to a successful MOQ within a short time period.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 February 2014, 18:50:24 by Elrick »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #779 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 19:40:05 »
Elrick, I don't always agree with you, but your posts always leave me entertained.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #780 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 20:32:42 »
Elrick, I don't always agree with you, but your posts always leave me entertained.

Always glad to oblige  ;D .  The funny thing is that Ivan could easily boot my arse out of his Group Buys, for my postings on here.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #781 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 21:06:54 »
Another thing I've noticed is people make the stupidest demands. Threatening to pull their order if they don't get the keys they want when we all know they're going to wind up buying a set regardless. See it all the time and it drives me up the wall.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #782 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 00:59:15 »
Some people here need to be head-kicked and put out of their misery immediately

lol

But the man has a point!  :p

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #783 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 16:30:00 »
FINE! That's it!!! I will change the set to bright green legends on red keys and only offer it in Serbian, and if you don't like it too damn bad. You will buy 10 sets anyway. What's that? You're colorblind? FINE! It's a grey blank set, like it!
/humor

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #784 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 16:32:54 »
FINE! That's it!!! I will change the set to bright green legends on red keys and only offer it in Serbian, and if you don't like it too damn bad. You will buy 10 sets anyway. What's that? You're colorblind? FINE! It's a grey blank set, like it!
/humor

It's a Christmas set! :D

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #785 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 16:38:20 »
Am I like the only person that associates red and green with Freddy Kruger before christmas?

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #786 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 16:54:10 »
 Nope ;D
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #787 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 16:56:47 »
Am I like the only person that associates red and green with Freddy Kruger before christmas?

No, Mr Kruger lives down the road from me, we're good mates  :thumb: .

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #788 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 05:37:19 »
40% more to go, order MOARRRRRRR
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #789 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 05:44:46 »
If I could afford to I'd order two sets as GMK caps are soo nice.  If this struggles I might have to anyway and then try to sell them on afterwards.  I'm at a loss as to why this isn't more popular...

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #790 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 05:53:34 »
I'm at a loss as to why this isn't more popular...

Elrick has the answer for you  ;)

Some people here need to be head-kicked and put out of their misery immediately

Offline GeorgeK

« Reply #791 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 06:01:11 »
Lol - good answer :))  I don't get it - this set will be an awesome colour, will look great on any board of any colour, will be compatible (legend colour-wise) with the purple mods from last year & the CMYW mods coming up soon and will be super thick quality and yet only just over 100 odd sets have been ordered! 

Offline quochung1989

• Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #792 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 06:23:38 »
Lol - good answer :))  I don't get it - this set will be an awesome colour, will look great on any board of any colour, will be compatible (legend colour-wise) with the purple mods from last year & the CMYW mods coming up soon and will be super thick quality and yet only just over 100 odd sets have been ordered!
Why not? Because just not hit MOQ? or other reason?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #793 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 09:17:35 »
Based on poll result, this is the add on pack that we have arrived at... I took all the most popular options and rolled it into one pack to make it as small and as cheap as possible. Price would be €37 / $51.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
GMK white/dark grey US/GB full set
« Reply #794 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 09:22:19 »
Maybe I'm being dim, but what is this addon pack supposed to accomplish? Blue legends on half of the keyboard?

I really like the blue, and if it was a full mod set of blue on dark grey is likely get into this buy just for that. (I know it's possibly past the time for me to be expressing this opinion, though.)

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #795 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 09:27:22 »
well I'm not a fan but, does that means the moq for that kit would be 400 :/ and why F5, F8 only :/
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #796 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 09:29:09 »
To explain more, gamer pack was most popular, followed by extra windowed top row keys, hhkb style delete, and alternate win/menu replacement which are simply blank. The most simple way to distiguish 'gamer' key is different legend color so I chose blue to keep it in flavor of the scitex set this is more or less a repro of. You can use any combination of those keys for a little flair even if not a gamer.

MOQ for add on is also 250 unit. F5 and F8 are common in game for quicksave/quickload.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 February 2014, 09:31:32 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #797 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 09:37:44 »
ok got it :D I'm in love with those arrows and the capslock tho :p
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Hzza

« Reply #798 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 09:46:13 »
That blue kit is pretty awesome, might have to add a couple.

Offline quochung1989

• Frenzy Classic.
« Reply #799 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 10:30:27 »
Can you add Return 1.25x cap? I need it for my phantom :)