Author Topic: jdcarpe's statement about the MiTo situation  (Read 21229 times)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: jdcarpe's statement about the MiTo situation
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 07:24:52 »
Let Mito and Ripster jerk each other off over there.  Live and let die.  Sooner or later they will get in a war with each other.  Whatever.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline osi

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 07:29:19 »
Glad that GH finally caught on to this schmuck's activities.

Snapped this screen about a month ago

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 08:23:11 »
I hope this incident doesn't harm other PMK organizers -- that would be a shame. I hope GH members will continue to help the new wave of organizers that the PMK system has brought about.

Personally, I don't agree with the boycott/ban, because even if it's deserved, it still looks petty and small. It feels morally on par with Ripster's demand that all his wiki content be pulled. He donated something valuable and good to the overall community (in the same way that JD and others donated their experience and knowledge to MiTo in regards to SA profiles, etc.) -- and, like Ripster, we're pissed now and we're going to try to 'undo' whatever good we initially did, for purely personal reasons.

I don't buy the IP argument because so many of our groupbuys outright ignore the IP rights of other parties (which I've bought into myself) so I refuse to get on that high horse.

MiTo has clearly lost a lot of goodwill over here, so I wouldn't expect GH members to donate any more of their knowledge to him in service to his groupbuys, but be realistic: he can get that experience elsewhere. Maybe not as easily or quickly, but he'll get it. Hell, he could get it from SP. But consider this: how is the overall community served by denying any organizer good information? Let's imagine MiTo puts out a groupbuy in the future that has a flaw that only a GH member notices -- would it be morally right to withhold that information, so that when the groupbuy is produced, MiTo's reputation suffers -- and that would make us feel good? What about the community members who now have a flawed keyset on their hands?

Where's the altruism now?

So trying to 'hurt' MiTo by boycotting his GBs feels like a bad move. And declaring that anyone who supports his GB, or expresses interest will be blocked from other GBs, that's ... that's a Ripster-ish move. We're the better community, let's prove it by not forcing people to choose 'sides', and by not withholding help.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #53 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 08:27:20 »
I hope this incident doesn't harm other PMK organizers -- that would be a shame. I hope GH members will continue to help the new wave of organizers that the PMK system has brought about.

Personally, I don't agree with the boycott/ban, because even if it's deserved, it still looks petty and small. It feels morally on par with Ripster's demand that all his wiki content be pulled. He donated something valuable and good to the overall community (in the same way that JD and others donated their experience and knowledge to MiTo in regards to SA profiles, etc.) -- and, like Ripster, we're pissed now and we're going to try to 'undo' whatever good we initially did, for purely personal reasons.

I don't buy the IP argument because so many of our groupbuys outright ignore the IP rights of other parties (which I've bought into myself) so I refuse to get on that high horse.

MiTo has clearly lost a lot of goodwill over here, so I wouldn't expect GH members to donate any more of their knowledge to him in service to his groupbuys, but be realistic: he can get that experience elsewhere. Maybe not as easily or quickly, but he'll get it. Hell, he could get it from SP. But consider this: how is the overall community served by denying any organizer good information? Let's imagine MiTo puts out a groupbuy in the future that has a flaw that only a GH member notices -- would it be morally right to withhold that information, so that when the groupbuy is produced, MiTo's reputation suffers -- and that would make us feel good? What about the community members who now have a flawed keyset on their hands?

Where's the altruism now?

So trying to 'hurt' MiTo by boycotting his GBs feels like a bad move. And declaring that anyone who supports his GB, or expresses interest will be blocked from other GBs, that's ... that's a Ripster-ish move. We're the better community, let's prove it by not forcing people to choose 'sides', and by not withholding help.

did you not read my thread about this?
I'M IN THE PROCESS OF MOVING RIGHT NOW, WILL BE BACK AROUND SOON

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 08:29:52 »

Nope. Are you dropping your ban threat?
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 08:31:43 »

Nope. Are you dropping your ban threat?

you are arguing a point about 15 hours too late

my comments have been explained and clarified, however it seems that is not the only post on this matter that you have overlooked prior to forming your opinion

which is precisely why this information needs to be put forward

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=64205.0

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 08:40:37 »

I see your thread now.

Quote from: BunnyLake
I wanted to apologize for the way I responded to MiTo’s actions, on the part of the community. While the remarks and actions he displayed were definitely wrong, I did not consider that I was punishing innocent bystanders in the process. I am not condoning his actions, nor am I apologizing for his actions. He knows he acted unprofessionally, and its up to him whether or not he wants to apologize to the community for his actions.

I let my emotions get the best of me, and I regret that.

The bottom line is, I want to say that I am not banning anyone that buys a key set that MiTo designs. What I am saying is that I will not support anyone who directly supports people who intend to do harm both personally and to the community, on GeekHack.

Good for you BL, glad you did the right thing and came to your senses.

my comments have been explained and clarified, however it seems that is not the only post on this matter that you have overlooked prior to forming your opinion

I see the one. What else did I miss? And please don't be nasty to me, BL, I'm not your enemy.
More

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 08:49:43 »

I see your thread now.

Quote from: BunnyLake
I wanted to apologize for the way I responded to MiTo’s actions, on the part of the community. While the remarks and actions he displayed were definitely wrong, I did not consider that I was punishing innocent bystanders in the process. I am not condoning his actions, nor am I apologizing for his actions. He knows he acted unprofessionally, and its up to him whether or not he wants to apologize to the community for his actions.

I let my emotions get the best of me, and I regret that.

The bottom line is, I want to say that I am not banning anyone that buys a key set that MiTo designs. What I am saying is that I will not support anyone who directly supports people who intend to do harm both personally and to the community, on GeekHack.

Good for you BL, glad you did the right thing and came to your senses.

I see the one. What else did I miss? And please don't be nasty to me, BL, I'm not your enemy.

im not being nasty to you

its just very difficult fighting an uphill battle against people, when tons of posts are being removed, information is being made to be scattered against many different threads and platforms, and then people form an opinion based on the limited info they have

i understand your stand point, and as you can see, i agreed with part of it and spoke out before you mentioned it

as people seem to not take what was written the way i meant it, im apologising to the community for sitting through this, and taking back part of what i said as i dont want innocent members of the community to suffer  because of this, and i think that was a large part of your post

however let me be clear, im not apologising to mito in any way, he has bullied me for months, slandered me, spread countless lies, even to the point i had to have someone else format my post because he has gone so far out of his way to tell total strangers that i am apparently uneducated, all of my posts to him have been reactionary, its not the to and throw it seems from just observing here on gh, ive had threats and hatemail sent to me via pm, and as mentioned, lots of issues spread over several platforms

i am not banning people who buy his keysets, but i am fully supporting the boycott of them

Offline BunnyLake

• The OG HHKB Master
  • X
    • [CTRL]ALT
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 09:06:47 »
id just like to make one more post, and unless something comes up that i feel forced to respond about, ill leave it here

nobody wants all this silliness and drama, it isnt good for anybody, i didnt want this to happen to me, i had felt belittled by this person for a long time, and sadly i did nothing when i should have spoken out earlier, unfortunately in light of the fake bro bot issue and mitos support for it, as well as him starting to attack other members such as JD and nubbs, i did snap, i said some things that were out of character for me, and not acceptable, that being said, to me, and how i felt, they were justified, just because we are online, doesnt mean this long standing harassment and embarrassment is ok, in banning people from ctrl alt who supported him, i did the wrong thing, i was wanting to punish him for my anguish, and not the community, so i have withdrawn that.  it disgusts me what he has and will continue to get away with unless people speak out about it as they have done, sadly too many people look for excuses, ive heard a lot of people saying he is young, as if that is some sort of excuse, we have tons of young and upstanding members, who are not manipulative bullies, what he has been doing is calculated, and unacceptable

ive had a lot of support in both comments and pms, and im very grateful to everyone who has seen this for what is is, and given me words or support and encouragement, even though i was being reactionary, hot headed and overly passionate

please understand that this is a very sore subject for me, and as much as i want it to settle down, and not go on longer than it has to, its still upsetting, and id appreciate if people didnt post excuses or support for mito here in my subforum, i dont wanna censor your opinions, but there are other places to express them, this is my little area of the forum, the subject is open for discussion, particularly about what has already happened, but his actions are not defensible or redeemable in my eyes

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 09:29:59 »
I've been trying to think how to respond to this whole thing without coming off wrong, but I think you did a fantastic job of expressing a lot of my thoughts on it JD.  Sadly, it was a situation that could have been easily avoided.  An apology with an admission of guilt and a promise to change could have caused this whole drama to never have started.  If you want to be a member of the community, you need to act like a member.

And you have my support bunny, 100%, but I'm sure you already knew that.  I've seen the bullying not just of you, but toward many others on here and reddit.  Sometimes things strike far too close to home and it makes it hard to behave rationally and calm.  It's especially hard when you have someone who always turns things around to try and make themselves look like a victim.  So while snapping wasn't the right thing, it takes a bigger man to step up and admit he was wrong in snapping, even though the feelings behind the statements were completely justified.

In any case you have my support and a huge thanks for always being awesome.  Hopefully people learn from this and move on and become more mature.  Hopefully it causes introspection and a change for the better.  And hopefully Moz's ceaseless optimism is not unfounded.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #60 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 10:16:55 »
Hopefully people learn from this and move on and become more mature.  Hopefully it causes introspection and a change for the better.  And hopefully Moz's ceaseless optimism is not unfounded.
I wish for the same.

BunnyLake, hopefully you'll understand that I am nor supporting what MiTo has done or justifying his actions. I understand that the personal attacks must have hurt and your reactionary posts were only natural. I have always applauded yours and JD's actions and will continue to do so.

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 12:09:18 »
MiTo doesn't seem to be very... polite.

good post JD.

Offline Karura

• Professional Canadian
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • SKidata life.
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 16:57:20 »
The way I see it, this is truly an unfortunate fiasco, with the community suffering the most from it.

We're all here because of our shared interest in keycaps, and for that sake, we are often times willing to go the length to contribute our part, whether it's by designing, organizing, sorting, buying, or even spreading the word.

To have this animosity among us just means that we become smaller in number, and therefore weaker in our ability to realize our dreams (of the bestest keyboards ever).

It's truly most unfortunate for this to happen to our community. Teamwork makes the dream work.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 October 2014, 17:02:25 by Karura »

"Remember boys, raccoon cold... don't worry, raccoon will find cave." -Sent

Offline intelli78

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 17:06:39 »
Just want to mention that SP refunded my order without a fuss.
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 22:56:40 »
I want to thank everyone for their words of support. The purpose of this thread was mostly to give people easy links to understand what was happening, and why the parties involved reacted the way they did. That way people could form their own informed opinions. I believe this purpose has been served, so I am now locking the thread.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."