Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3514084 times)

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #3900 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 18:53:36 »

I am also currently not interested in hosting a groupbuy or competing with 7bit because I may not have the time for it.

Why even bring up pricing you have available to you? If you're unwilling to do a group buy, for certainly legitimate reasons, are you willing to share your source with a reputable community member who is willing to do a group buy? I understand you want to safeguard your source, but to the point where you're the only one who can benefit from it? It feels awkward to even bring it up, at that point.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline Topre

« Reply #3901 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 19:03:31 »

I am also currently not interested in hosting a groupbuy or competing with 7bit because I may not have the time for it.

Why even bring up pricing you have available to you? If you're unwilling to do a group buy, for certainly legitimate reasons, are you willing to share your source with a reputable community member who is willing to do a group buy? I understand you want to safeguard your source, but to the point where you're the only one who can benefit from it? It feels awkward to even bring it up, at that point.

You asked a question and I tried to answer it, while giving an example. I guess I should have stopped answering questions. The source of where I am getting these prices may not even be on the internet, but finding similar prices on the internet is not hard.

You can contact Cherry Corp or ZF Electronics for prices or bulk suppliers if you want to get it directly from them.

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3902 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 19:56:15 »
Is there a trick that helps when sleeving coiled cables? I'm currently sleeving a 3m coiled cable, started yesterday, I'm almost halfway done, pushing it bit by bit which is really really slow, I even got a blister on my thumb now. I'm scared of the cable losing the coil if I would stretch the cable and just pull on the paracord.

Edit: Whites tend to sometimes vary in their clickyness. Should I remove the lube and relube them to make sure they sound/feel the same? Or would I make it even worse? (Note: I haven't receivced them yet, so I would only do this if I get some "faulty" ones)
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 20:05:10 by BlueBär »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3903 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 20:05:21 »
FYI, total amount of clears ordered across the entire GH60 GB was about 2000. I wouldn't expect to take orders for the MOQ Cherry requires, even if it's only 4000-5000.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3904 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 20:58:43 »
FYI, total amount of clears ordered across the entire GH60 GB was about 2000. I wouldn't expect to take orders for the MOQ Cherry requires, even if it's only 4000-5000.

That's a good reference. Thank you.
I figured we'd be able to pull about 200 sets, so that fits in my approximation.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #3905 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 21:05:59 »
Ok there is a difference from getting it directly from Cherry themselves, and a distributor. 8k seems way too low, last time I checked with cherry, it was something in the 20k MOQ (don't quote me on this number, it was from memory, but I can go back to my email to check). Also, you can't even order directly from cherry unless they authorize you to be a distributor.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3906 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 21:09:06 »
What is Cherry's MOQ for switches? I keep hearing it's stupid crazy high, but how many is stupid crazy? I'd be curious enough to see if there's a demand for something like Clears or Greens to set up a GB for it, but if it's like 2 millions switches, then we can just.. not do that.

It depends on your supplier. There one supplier that has a MOQ of 800, for 24.51¢ United States cents each.

I was asked specifically about cherry. I haven't seen any GBs from the source and I was interested in why that was. Someone specifically told me that Cherry MOQ is absurd, so I thought I'd ask. I can find suppliers on my own, and the prices they offer, but I couldn't find any specific info regarding Cherry. So instead of emailing them and maybe waiting a week or two, I figured I'd ask a simple question, see if anybody knew.

That being said
Nobody else has said anything near 25 cents at a MOQ of 800. Nobody. And I haven't found any numbers even close to that in any quanities, let alone at 800. And nobody asked how much you, personally, can get switches for. You took it upon yourself to start showing us numbers that we can't get on our own, and that you don't want to help us get access to. It just seems like a pointless thing to say under those circumstance. It just feels like you're rubbing it in our face that you can get 800 switches for the same price we can get 200.

If you aren't going to help us get there, why even bring it up?

Ok there is a difference from getting it directly from Cherry themselves, and a distributor. 8k seems way too low, last time I checked with cherry, it was something in the 20k MOQ (don't quote me on this number, it was from memory, but I can go back to my email to check). Also, you can't even order directly from cherry unless they authorize you to be a distributor.

I had figured as much. It works the same way in most business environments. They want a contract with you before they start letting you resell their stuff. I was just curious if anyone knew the number on it. Thanks, WFD.

I would assume 20k would be their initial MOQ, and once you're a distributor, 8k is the resupply MOQ. But I'm piecing this together from what other people have been saying.

Offline Topre

« Reply #3907 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 21:48:10 »
What is Cherry's MOQ for switches? I keep hearing it's stupid crazy high, but how many is stupid crazy? I'd be curious enough to see if there's a demand for something like Clears or Greens to set up a GB for it, but if it's like 2 millions switches, then we can just.. not do that.

It depends on your supplier. There one supplier that has a MOQ of 800, for 24.51¢ United States cents each.

I was asked specifically about cherry. I haven't seen any GBs from the source and I was interested in why that was. Someone specifically told me that Cherry MOQ is absurd, so I thought I'd ask. I can find suppliers on my own, and the prices they offer, but I couldn't find any specific info regarding Cherry. So instead of emailing them and maybe waiting a week or two, I figured I'd ask a simple question, see if anybody knew.

That being said
Nobody else has said anything near 25 cents at a MOQ of 800. Nobody. And I haven't found any numbers even close to that in any quanities, let alone at 800. And nobody asked how much you, personally, can get switches for. You took it upon yourself to start showing us numbers that we can't get on our own, and that you don't want to help us get access to. It just seems like a pointless thing to say under those circumstance. It just feels like you're rubbing it in our face that you can get 800 switches for the same price we can get 200.

I'm not the only one that can get the switches for those prices. Anyone that is willing to pay enough for the MOQ can get it at those prices. I gave enough hints to find a cheaper supplier. If you don't want to bother with it, then don't. It took me a while to build up contacts for my business, do some work and look around for cheaper prices. Don't be afraid to call up someone and ask them to redirect you to another supplier.

Let's not turn this thread into an argument about switch prices.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #3908 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:03:20 »
Stepping in for CPTBadAss :

Guys, this is no longer a 'simple question, simple answer'. Take it elsewhere, whether it be a new thread or PMs.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3909 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:07:25 »

That being said

I'm not the only one that can get the switches for those prices. Anyone that is willing to pay enough for the MOQ can get it at those prices. I gave enough hints to find a cheaper supplier. If you don't want to bother with it, then don't. It took me a while to build up contacts for my business, do some work and look around for cheaper prices. Don't be afraid to call up someone and ask them to redirect you to another supplier.

Let's not turn this thread into an argument about switch prices.

You're right, but since this isn't my business, I can't invest the time to contact various suppliers. I don't have any contacts besides the ones in this community, and it's one of the reasons I love this community so much, because everyone who has joined has just made hundreds of contacts.

I can't call anybody, unfortunately, because I have a Korean phone that doesn't dial US or EU numbers, so that's out, too. If they're not online, then I have no options on getting in contact aside from physical letters. And though it is a viable option, it's not a viable option for me, because I just don't have that kind of free time. Not anymore.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3910 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:10:22 »
Calm and others...stop arguing about MOQ and prices in here. Want to discuss it? Port it elsewhere.

Stepping in for CPTBadAss :

Guys, this is no longer a 'simple question, simple answer'. Take it elsewhere, whether it be a new thread or PMs.

Thank you.

1) Is there a trick that helps when sleeving coiled cables?

2) Whites tend to sometimes vary in their clickyness. Should I remove the lube and relube them to make sure they sound/feel the same? Or would I make it even worse?

1) Maybe try PMing one of the cable makers like nubbinator, Pexon, or tjcaustin for help?

2) I would say try removing a little lube instead of completely re-lubing the switch.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:15:48 by CPTBadAss »

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3911 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 22:59:59 »
What are the specific differences between plate and pcb mounted switches? There's some sort of tab, I guess, but my qfr has a plate, but are soldered to the board. Im assuming theyre plate mounted?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3912 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 23:04:31 »
the only difference is PCB mount switches have 2 smaller tabs sticking out of the bottom of the switch next to the large center one.  PCB can me converted to Plate mount simply by clipping off the extra tabs with fingernail clippers or similar tools.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #3913 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 23:06:10 »
Yeah, what melvang said. This picture from jd illustrates it. The two plastic tabs are the ONLY difference. Internals are the same, both kinds are soldered to the pcb. The tabs just make it more sturdy when there's no plate.
github

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #3914 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 23:15:52 »
Okay. Thanks for the picture, that REALLY clears it up. And my assumptions were correct, which always builds the ego a bit.

Cheers

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #3915 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 23:16:50 »
Demik or tp4tissue
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #3916 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 23:17:34 »
demik for sure.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3917 on: Wed, 28 August 2013, 23:52:02 »
does anyone know or would be able to measure the angle of the top of the caps on a Model M or SSK from horizontal?  I realize that the middle keys sit lower but just a straight line from the top row to the bottom row and the desk for the other side.  If they have extendable / retractable feet I would like the angle with the board at the highest position.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3918 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 10:44:06 »
Demik or tp4tissue

TP4 uses some slick emotes.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline thebeargentile

« Reply #3919 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:10:41 »

You can reprogram the KMAC Happy using the KMAC2 .exe. I confirmed this with jcrouse.

The controller on the KMAC is a ATMega16, as shown here.

Excellent, thank you sir!

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #3920 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:20:09 »
What's the best way to precisely cut a PCB with cheap tools?
github

Offline Topre

« Reply #3921 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 14:28:01 »

Saw or oscillating power tool.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3922 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 17:28:36 »

Cheap tools? Hacksaw and a steady hand?, Score with a knife ahead of time.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2013, 17:34:36 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #3923 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 17:31:55 »

Score and snap, with an x-acto knife? It may or may not be what you want, depending on the board.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3924 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 18:05:31 »
Who was stationed on the back wall at KeyCon2013 that had all the BS boards including the 60% prototype?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3925 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 18:30:11 »
Who was stationed on the back wall at KeyCon2013 that had all the BS boards including the 60% prototype?

wcass

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #3926 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 05:34:10 »
Will buckling spring caps fit any direction like Cherry caps or are they like alps in that it would be either right side up/up side down?

If they are bidirectional only would it be feasible to make a new custom switch plate for said switches?

I guess where I am going with this line of questions is this.  After wcass irons out the diffulties with the membrane on his 60% BS board would the switch plate be the only real hurdle from progressing to a BS version of an ErgoDox?

If this is a blasphemy of the most serious notion please inform me and the thoughts shall be stricken from my memory.

Melvang

Edit:  Who would I need to talk to about using the Geekhack logo for a personal project?
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 August 2013, 05:40:14 by Melvang »

Offline BlueBär

« Reply #3927 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 08:11:36 »
Will buckling spring caps fit any direction like Cherry caps or are they like alps in that it would be either right side up/up side down?
Both the upper and the lower part of the keycaps only fit in their original direction. You can put them upside down but then the key won't activate anymore, this is because the lower part of the keycaps is part of the mechanism.

If they are bidirectional only would it be feasible to make a new custom switch plate for said switches?
Look up how a plate for BS looks, it is very hard to replicate those plates afaik. MX has switch modules, BS not, if that makes any sense.

I guess where I am going with this line of questions is this.  After wcass irons out the diffulties with the membrane on his 60% BS board would the switch plate be the only real hurdle from progressing to a BS version of an ErgoDox?
I guess if one could make a suitable plate and membrane, you could harvest the rest from Model Ms.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #3928 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 10:26:56 »
Are there BS non skull CCs?

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3929 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 10:43:05 »
Does anyone happen to have a 3ds max or autocad file with a 3d model of a cherry profile esc key?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3930 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 11:10:46 »

No. I've never seen BS non-skull CCs.

1) Will buckling spring caps fit any direction like Cherry caps or are they like alps in that it would be either right side up/up side down?

2) If they are bidirectional only would it be feasible to make a new custom switch plate for said switches?

3) I guess where I am going with this line of questions is this.  After wcass irons out the diffulties with the membrane on his 60% BS board would the switch plate be the only real hurdle from progressing to a BS version of an ErgoDox?

4) Who would I need to talk to about using the Geekhack logo for a personal project?

1) They're like you described with the Alps caps.

2) Wcass did it. His XT was modded to an ANSI layout. That board had a custom acrylic plate. He also had a matrix layout BS "tester" which allowed you to see the switch in action but wasn't angled at all.

3) Like BlueBar said, you'd need to come up with your own plate and mat.

4) As a courtesy, you should ask mkawa and Krogenar (creator of the vector files) if it's ok to use the logo. However, I have spoken with mkawa who has told me that you don't actually need to clear using the logo with him; but admins/mods/mkawa appreciate it when you do. I strongly advise that you at least mention it to them just as a professional and polite thing to do...especially if you are going to turn a profit from the item.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 August 2013, 11:17:44 by CPTBadAss »

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3931 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 17:22:24 »

AFAIK no.

Offline Kira0172

« Reply #3932 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 07:06:08 »
Is there a kboard wallpaper thread?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine

Offline stancato9

« Reply #3934 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 16:50:14 »
It seems a lot of you are from the US and other countries around the world. I have found a lot of people interested in my items for sale that aren't from Canada and shipping seems to be outrageous.

If anyone has shipped from Canada before, I would like some advice on the best, and cheapest methods to ship items. Thanks in advance :D
Poker 2 - MX Red

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #3935 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 03:31:55 »
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

But in all seriousness, how good would an ErgoDox be for a first mechanical keyboard, and on a scale of 1-10 (with 1 being breathing, 10 being flying and 5 being the average), how hard would it be to build for someone who has little experience with soldering and board building.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3936 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 13:27:15 »
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

But in all seriousness, how good would an ErgoDox be for a first mechanical keyboard, and on a scale of 1-10 (with 1 being breathing, 10 being flying and 5 being the average), how hard would it be to build for someone who has little experience with soldering and board building.

for someone that has little no experience it can be difficult. just remember the diodes have to be soldered in one direction.
first keyboard? 4. you have to dedicate to learning the layout and programming it to be custom suited to match your layout style/preference.
It might not be a good choice for a beginner.

incoming hate from ergodox community in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1 :D

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3937 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 14:17:34 »

I'm going to guess a 6-7. It's not easy to build your first keyboard even if you have experience soldering.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3938 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 17:34:05 »

I'm going to guess a 6-7. It's not easy to build your first keyboard even if you have experience soldering.

+1

You may have botched a KMAC build, but I botched my first Phantom build. Oh well, live and learn. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #3939 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 12:32:06 »
My QFR has a smaller breakout board that has the mini usb connection and is connected to the USB via a connector that looks like FILCO connector.

Since I found out recently that my QFR has a dual layer green PCB and some others have a single layer non printed PCB, I was unsure of the variations between the different QFR production batches.

Offline Kira0172

« Reply #3940 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 12:51:14 »
What's the filco (white tkl mjt2) made off. On the pictures i can only see cheap texture but i know its not. How is it?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3941 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 13:33:57 »
My QFR has a smaller breakout board that has the mini usb connection and is connected to the USB via a connector that looks like FILCO connector.

Since I found out recently that my QFR has a dual layer green PCB and some others have a single layer non printed PCB, I was unsure of the variations between the different QFR production batches.

Are you asking about the differences in the QFR batches? I didn't see a question. Assuming you are, I think that the QFRs are all single layer PCBs. They have to cut the costs somewhere so they have a thick plate and a thin PCB. Carter and I talked about this one day.

What's the filco (white tkl mjt2) made off. On the pictures i can only see cheap texture but i know its not. How is it?

It's probably ABS. What do you mean how is it? If you're asking about the quality of the case, I'd say it's very nice for a stock case. Better than the QFR and Pure case and on the same level as the Leopold FC700R case.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #3942 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 13:43:43 »

Are you asking about the differences in the QFR batches? I didn't see a question. Assuming you are, I think that the QFRs are all single layer PCBs. They have to cut the costs somewhere so they have a thick plate and a thin PCB. Carter and I talked about this one day.

Sorry my question wasn't clear, what I mean to ask was is the breakout board with the mini USB connector present in all QFRs?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3943 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 13:50:11 »
Sorry my question wasn't clear, what I mean to ask was is the breakout board with the mini USB connector present in all QFRs?

Pretty sure they are all setup like this so yes.

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #3944 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 14:27:59 »
On all of my keyboards I have a lot of ping noises everytime I hit a key and it is annoying me so much that I don't even want to use them anymore. Would O-rings prevent the noise? If not, what can I do to remove the ping sounds?

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #3945 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 14:29:06 »
On all of my keyboards I have a lot of ping noises everytime I hit a key and it is annoying me so much that I don't even want to use them anymore. Would O-rings prevent the noise? If not, what can I do to remove the ping sounds?

What is a ping sound?

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #3946 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 14:32:34 »

What is a ping sound?

It's a resonating sound. You can hear it after the key press or debounce if you are unlucky to have a pinging keyboard.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #3947 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 14:35:18 »

What is a ping sound?

It's a resonating sound. You can hear it after the key press or debounce if you are unlucky to have a pinging keyboard.

Oh :( Never had that (although I only have 2 keyboards).

Offline Jalberstone

« Reply #3948 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 14:36:03 »

What is a ping sound?

Well then I must be really unlucky because I have it on all of my keyboards and I have four of them!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3949 on: Mon, 02 September 2013, 14:36:56 »

O-rings might help, lubing your stabilizers help more. For what it's worth, I've never had any issues with pinging on my keyboards.