Author Topic: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper  (Read 920712 times)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re: Easy AVR USB Keyboard Firmware and Keymapper
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 01:51:32 »
Yay! Which board has LED on F9?

I like the two phase approach. Right now, I don't believe and correct me if I am wrong there are any custom keyboards which support individual LED control right?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #251 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 07:22:23 »
It's the Quickfire Rapid.

Offline compgeke

« Reply #252 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 22:42:14 »
I seem to have found an issue with the Black Petal and the firmware. Every key works but if I hit the B key I get "bnn" and if I hold b I get "bnnnnnnnnn" and so on.

It only does this with this firmware, both the beta and latest release and not with the original firmware nor the original controller.

Offline geniekid

« Reply #253 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 23:44:10 »
I had a similar issue with my QFR + Frosty Flake where holding B and hitting M would cause N to be selected.  It only affected one of my QFRs, so I chalked it up to a bad FF or bad QFR, but then I was able to get it to work right with a modified version of bpiphany's firmware.  So I have zero idea where the fault lies.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #254 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 06:38:13 »
The cause is timing.  I just fixed that issue for Al3xG, and I was able to duplicate the problem on my Black Petal.

My firmware scans the matrix much faster than bpiphany's firmware.  Both of our codes have delays built into the scan to leave time to settle the probing lines.  The Easy AVR USB code has lots of features and therefore lots of work to do in every cycle.  Time is scarce, therefore I didn't initially have any busy-waiting during the matrix scan.

The bpiphany controllers run at 16MHz.  That works out to a period of 0.0625us.  bpiphany's code sets the probing lines and lets them settle for 1us before reading the matrix.  That works out to about 16 cycles of busy-wait.  My code was developed for the Epsilon and only used two cycles, which works fine for that hardware.  When Al3xG reported the problem with the Kitten Paw I increased the delay from 2 to 10 cycles, which solved it for his board and mine.  The 74HC42 decoders on your board must be really slow.

Generally I dislike the "slow it down until it works" solution.  Also I wish I knew why it is always the B and N keys that have the problem.  The arrow keys and the App key are also trouble spots.  They are all on Column 0.

Anyway, I will match bpiphany's settle time and rebuild it.  Will you report back if it works?  thanks

Offline geniekid

« Reply #255 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 07:33:39 »
Interesting information :)

Yes, I will try out any new versions and report back!

Offline geniekid

« Reply #256 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 07:45:57 »
The cause is timing.  I just fixed that issue for Al3xG, and I was able to duplicate the problem on my Black Petal.

My firmware scans the matrix much faster than bpiphany's firmware.  Both of our codes have delays built into the scan to leave time to settle the probing lines.  The Easy AVR USB code has lots of features and therefore lots of work to do in every cycle.  Time is scarce, therefore I didn't initially have any busy-waiting during the matrix scan.

The bpiphany controllers run at 16MHz.  That works out to a period of 0.0625us.  bpiphany's code sets the probing lines and lets them settle for 1us before reading the matrix.  That works out to about 16 cycles of busy-wait.  My code was developed for the Epsilon and only used two cycles, which works fine for that hardware.  When Al3xG reported the problem with the Kitten Paw I increased the delay from 2 to 10 cycles, which solved it for his board and mine.  The 74HC42 decoders on your board must be really slow.

Generally I dislike the "slow it down until it works" solution.  Also I wish I knew why it is always the B and N keys that have the problem.  The arrow keys and the App key are also trouble spots.  They are all on Column 0.

Anyway, I will match bpiphany's settle time and rebuild it.  Will you report back if it works?  thanks

My problem with the Frosty Flake is fixed with the latest beta release - 20140403, so slowing it to 10 cycles was adequate for me.  Could this be a customizable setting?
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 07:48:03 by geniekid »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #257 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 07:53:25 »
It certainly could be, but it really isn't necessary.  I will probably give it a tiny bit of extra margin and just leave it there.  It doesn't hurt anything.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #258 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 09:00:35 »
compgeke, the 20140403 code fixed the issue for me, Al3xG, and geniekid.  Are you sure you've tried that version?

Offline compgeke

« Reply #259 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 09:08:05 »
I'm fairly certain I did. I'll try again this evening when I can get back inside to trip the reed switch.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #260 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 12:05:29 »
Back inside? I hope you aren't taking it apart, you can use a magnet on it from outside.  Also you can program a boot key.

Offline compgeke

« Reply #261 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:06:04 »
Whoops, I meant back inside the house to get the magnet I've been using, don't have one powerful enough here at school. At the time of writing I was already outside and the house locked up.

Offline compgeke

« Reply #262 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 14:43:10 »
Managed to find a magnet I could use and now it's working after flashing again with the beta. Not sure what went wrong last night.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 April 2014, 17:25:48 by compgeke »

Offline geniekid

« Reply #263 on: Tue, 08 April 2014, 16:50:13 »
Yay!  Beers all around!

Offline Masterchief79

« Reply #264 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 08:30:03 »
So I didn't read through the whole thing, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but can I use this software to program a Teensy 3.0 powered keyboard? Since the 3.0 is ARM and not AVR based as far as I know?
Taiwanese Fake-Model F with MX black copies (1984) | Apple Keyboard (salmon Alps 1987) | G80-1000HDD vintage blacks (1987) | G80-1000HFD vintage blues | G80-1800HFD | QPad MK50 browns | AEK II

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #265 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 09:28:19 »
Nope, sorry.  It's written for AVR.  I probably won't have an ARM version until I own a keyboard with that architecture myself.

We are still in a time where AVR is the dominant architecture on the custom boards, although I think we will see that change this year.  Already the Trik PCB uses ARM and I'm sure more will follow.  The features that enthusiasts want are evolving fast and the AVRs are just not powerful enough to keep going.

I'm not sure if the community will settle on a preferred chip.  If that doesn't happen, then a tool like Easy AVR USB for ARM would be unlikely, I'm afraid.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #266 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 21:10:29 »
Looking through the scancodes, I see I can do Fn layers from 1-9, but nothing that goes back to default

also what happens if I go to a layer with nothing in it? Is it a dead end and I have to unplug and replug in the cable?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #267 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 23:21:05 »
Looking through the scancodes, I see I can do Fn layers from 1-9, but nothing that goes back to default

If the Fn key is set to normal mode, then you go back to default when you let go of the key.  If the Fn key is set to Toggle, you go back to default when you press it again.

also what happens if I go to a layer with nothing in it? Is it a dead end and I have to unplug and replug in the cable?

If you toggle to a layer with nothing on it, you're stuck.  It's good practice to always map your Fn key to the same key on the target layer that it activates.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #268 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 23:23:09 »
The old beta version has been tested a bunch.  I moved it to the release slot.  Added a new beta: programmable LEDs and support for the Techkeys Card.

Squeezing that full-featured keyboard firmware into the Techcard was quite an exercise.  :eek:

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #269 on: Thu, 10 April 2014, 23:53:12 »
I see

Downloading the beta, cant wait to program the techkeys card! Will post results tomorrow

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #270 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 07:27:23 »
Will test LED function

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #271 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 17:46:48 »
I've got to decide what should be mappable to the LEDs.

There are the standard HID indicators:
NUM_LOCK
CAPS_LOCK
SCROLL_LOCK
COMPOSE
KANA

Then there's the extra indicators:
WIN_LOCK
FN_LOCK

All those are already working.  Other than that, the only thing that's coming to mind is to add an option to make it act like a backlight.  Any ideas?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #272 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 20:09:55 »
What is COMPOSE and KANA?

I haven't had a chance but with FN_LOCK can one choose the layer?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #273 on: Fri, 11 April 2014, 21:09:18 »
They are standard modes for some non-US keyboards.  Like if you take a look at the HHKB japan layout, it has a Kana key.

The FN_LOCK is true if any layer other than the default layer is locked/toggled.  So that means any Fn key at all.  I hadn't considered one for individual layers, but I suppose that's possible.  I figured it wasn't necessary since there isn't exactly a multitude of LEDs available on most keyboards.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #274 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 15:19:56 »
Reprogrammed a KMAC2--works great!  Only can't figure out how to change Debounce settings.  Searched this thread and found mention of something called "Settings Console" but don't know how to reach it.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #275 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 15:36:30 »
Reprogrammed a KMAC2--works great!  Only can't figure out how to change Debounce settings.  Searched this thread and found mention of something called "Settings Console" but don't know how to reach it.

I really need to make a HOWTO video.

1) Create a firmeware with a key set to SCANCODE_CONFIG (Fn layer strongly suggested), and program it to your board.
2) Point your cursor to a text editor such as Notepad, or even Microsoft Word if you want.
3) Press the config key.
4) The keyboard will auto-type a menu as if you were in a command prompt.
5) Use the number keys to navigate the menus and change your settings.
6) Remember to exit config mode before you leave Notepad!!

It's a very simple system, so it only recognizes things like 9<enter> or 12<enter>.  Just be patient with it.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #276 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 15:46:11 »
That is very cool!  Done, thank you!  I had been looking forward to trying your firmware, and it's as good as I had anticipated :D  Thank you for your hard work!
(One thing I noticed that did not change is that I set Pause as the Boot Mode key, but it still requires pressing Caps Lock while plugging in the mini USB to enter bootloader for Flip.  Unless I misunderstood what Boot Mode key does).

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #277 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 15:55:40 »
That is very cool!  Done, thank you!  I had been looking forward to trying your firmware, and it's as good as I had anticipated :D  Thank you for your hard work!
(One thing I noticed that did not change is that I set Pause as the Boot Mode key, but it still requires pressing Caps Lock while plugging in the mini USB to enter bootloader for Flip.  Unless I misunderstood what Boot Mode key does).

I will check my KMAC2 when I get home but I've never had trouble with it.  Perhaps you were using it wrong?  The boot mode key doesn't work by holding it down when you plug it in.  You just press it when the keyboard is up and running.  You can go in and out of boot mode as much as you want without ever unplugging it.  (leaving boot mode is done with Flip)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #278 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 15:59:00 »
Oh I see!  Well, it's more of a pedantic point I guess. It still gets programmed fine by holding Caps Lock and plugging in the cable too.  The person who owns this KMAC probably won't be doing much reprogramming anyway.  Oh yeah, and debounce value of 9 is perfect for the linear switches I put in  :thumb:  Feels very accurate when typing.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #279 on: Mon, 14 April 2014, 16:11:04 »
Agreed and I think I will remove the nag window for the BOOT key when building for KMAC.  I wanted to prevent people having to take apart their boards to hit the bootloader switch, on Phantoms for example.  But on KMAC that danger is not there.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #280 on: Fri, 18 April 2014, 11:40:14 »
Updated the beta again with more settings to allow control of the timing of the keyboard:

Code: [Select]
Timing Menu:
1) Set debounce time
2) Set max hold time for tap
3) Set max delay time for double tap
4) Set base mouse movement
5) Set mouse movement multiplier
9) Back

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #281 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 08:22:53 »
Took a page from the Korean playbook and added a scancode picker.  Now non-standard scancodes can be assigned a little bit easier without having to use the drop-down menu.
61724-0

Offline geniekid

« Reply #282 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 14:21:04 »
Now it will only take me 45 seconds instead of a 60 seconds to setup my layout from scratch!  My work QFR is in the middle of plate switch, but I will use the new beta on my home QFR and test the hell out of the WASD1234 keys ;)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #283 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 00:58:23 »
Took a page from the Korean playbook and added a scancode picker.  Now non-standard scancodes can be assigned a little bit easier without having to use the drop-down menu.
(Attachment Link)

Just wondering but what are "M"keys?  Macros?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #284 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 01:01:38 »
(Attachment Link)
Just realized theres mouse control. Time to test out a gamepad with integrated mouse :p

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #285 on: Tue, 22 April 2014, 07:35:08 »
(Attachment Link)

Just wondering but what are "M"keys?  Macros?

Yes

Offline Chemoletter

« Reply #286 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 12:28:51 »
hi,
tested the program but with  PHANTOM ISO88 did't find my beloved german "ä", "ü", and "ö" keys and couldn't map the order of special characters properly. now i know that i did something wrong but i dont't know what. can you help?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #287 on: Wed, 23 April 2014, 13:06:21 »
hi,
tested the program but with  PHANTOM ISO88 did't find my beloved german "ä", "ü", and "ö" keys and couldn't map the order of special characters properly. now i know that i did something wrong but i dont't know what. can you help?

Hi, thanks for checking out Easy AVR USB!

First, I need to know what you mean by "couldn't map the order of special characters properly".  What is "the order"?

On to the main issue: internationalization.  Several pages ago, there was a discussion of international layouts.  I'm in the USA, and I have never used any other kind of keyboard.  I didn't add any GUI support for foreign languages.  However annoying that may be for you as a German, it shouldn't interfere with the operation of the keyboard.  Try programming the default ISO88 layout to the board.  It is QWERTY, but "Y" should be interpreted as "Z" by your computer.  ";" should become "ö", and so on.

Based on my understanding of international keyboards.  That should work.  Making the GUI speak German would then just be a matter of convenience.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #288 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 13:08:17 »
Is it possible to add an 87-key "Winkey" KMAC layout?  I have one with me that I'd like to program, but only 84- and 86-key templates are available.

Nevermind--just found that the 87-key layout is available in the Beta version  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 April 2014, 13:10:11 by Photoelectric »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #289 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 13:18:31 »
Is it possible to add an 87-key "Winkey" KMAC layout?  I have one with me that I'd like to program, but only 84- and 86-key templates are available.

Nevermind--just found that the 87-key layout is available in the Beta version  :thumb:

It's called <All keys>.  However I also already added "ANSI-87" to the Beta, because I realized that it is confusing.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #290 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 13:18:57 »
ooh, ninja'd :P

Offline Chemoletter

« Reply #291 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 06:48:40 »
sorry matalliqaz, haven't checked here early enough. as soon as i have the time, i'll go with the ISO88 like you said and just set my media keys.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #292 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 22:22:22 »
So, according to file modification dates, somewhere mid-feb. I made a Phantom layout with dvorak and qwerty, on differing layers.

Now that the latest version has a nifty 'picker' I thought I'd re-examine the .dat file and examine whatever it was I was working on.

It turns out I had a late-march edition of the easy keymapper, and it refused to load the .dat file claiming "insecure pickle" -- updating to the latest beta gave me the picker, but didn't change the error message.

I don't have the .dat file here so I couldn't upload it before Tuesday but ... what kind of a pickle am I in? (aside from an insecure one, I mean)

It's probably not a lot of work lost but its odd that I can't re-load it from so recent an edition of your software.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #293 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 23:03:28 »
Well that's bizarre.
Pickle is a data persistence module in python.  I use it to save all the data structures that define the layout.  I'll have to look into it.  If you can send the save file, that would help.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #294 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 11:41:02 »
Attached is the insecure string pickle. But, what if I wanted block pickle, or something...? Hmm.
* Phan_86Ky_Dv+qw.dat (10.48 kB - downloaded 305 times.)

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline xSpartanCx

« Reply #295 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 22:11:19 »
Any plans for support for indicator LED dimming on the phantoms?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #296 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 23:53:50 »

It already supports that.  The BL_DIMMER key will also dim the lock LEDs

Offline xSpartanCx

« Reply #297 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 17:51:11 »

It already supports that.  The BL_DIMMER key will also dim the lock LEDs

Oh, I didn't realize that! Thanks!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #298 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 07:37:25 »
Yesterday I discovered that this firmware has breathing mode. I plugged in the Techkeys business card that I'm using as an LED tester and I thought I broke the LED somehow. It was just breathing mode  :))

Looking forward to seeing how I can turn that business card into something useful :D.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #299 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 05:07:24 »
Yesterday I discovered that this firmware has breathing mode. I plugged in the Techkeys business card that I'm using as an LED tester and I thought I broke the LED somehow. It was just breathing mode  :))

Looking forward to seeing how I can turn that business card into something useful :D.

Let me know if you figure something out, mine is just sitting here doing the lightshow.
I love Elzy