Author Topic: Why are ClickClack so popular?  (Read 8123 times)

Offline 1391406

Why are ClickClack so popular?
« on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 12:04:08 »
I do respect the skill it requires to create ClickClack's, but the design seems like it'd be hard on the finger tips. I can't imagine trying to type on an entire set. And trying to type on those specialty key caps, a la Darth Vader / Storm Trooper types. I guess it's not my thing.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: Why are ClickClack so popular?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 12:10:23 »
They're meant as accent keys, usually for something like Escape, F1-12, or Num Lock.  Not the keys you hit hundreds of times a day.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 12:12:43 »
I do respect the skill it requires to create ClickClack's, but the design seems like it'd be hard on the finger tips. I can't imagine trying to type on an entire set. And trying to type on those specialty key caps, a la Darth Vader / Storm Trooper types. I guess it's not my thing.

No worse than some of those sharp SP spacebars....I learned the hard way

More

its only a cherry haha

But I think most people either just have these on display for taking pictures then they put them up and/or they put them on keys they do not type on, except for the smooth top keys that are made for the arrow or wads cluster.

I could see using one on the escape key though even for typing.

(ninja'd by hashbaz)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 12:17:43 »
They're also not priced to be keys that replace your entire keyboard with.

Unless you're ballin' like tsangan.

Offline Lupizza

• Kung av Sverige!
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 16:51:58 »
Show Image

A gore warning would be appreciated! Also, is that your real hand? :eek:

I for my part think the keycaps look hideous, and I see no reason to spend money on them.

Edit: Found the text below the picture now, disregard what I said. :P
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2013, 16:54:04 by Lupizza »
Left geekhack 2013-08-24, because of rude and arbitrary moderators.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 21:02:16 »

No worse than some of those sharp SP spacebars....I learned the hard way

More
Show Image

its only a cherry haha

But I think most people either just have these on display for taking pictures then they put them up and/or they put them on keys they do not type on, except for the smooth top keys that are made for the arrow or wads cluster.

I could see using one on the escape key though even for typing.

(ninja'd by hashbaz)

Dude, I'm eating, did not want to see that.

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 21:10:11 »
shows people how loaded you are

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 21:42:53 »
What is a click clack and how do you get one?

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 21:45:50 »

lol.  loaded means drunk or high here.  Which is what I thought you were saying, but I guess you mean rich.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2013, 21:49:09 by eth0s »
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline germy

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 21:54:26 »
Yeah I was trying to figure out how that could happen with a spacebar even with someone high as **** lol.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 22:36:31 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline raKeto

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 23:36:34 »
Because they are rare. Could not find one European site that sells Clacks, wouldnt mind the 15 dollor for le Clack if Shipping wouldnt be so Expensive :(

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 23:38:57 »

lol.  loaded means drunk or high here.  Which is what I thought you were saying, but I guess you mean rich.

Yeah I was referring to rich but I didn't know that loaded=drunk ... I use smashed to wasted for that.

But yeah people with deep pockets.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 June 2013, 23:44:49 »
There's actually a lot of people that have a nice collection that didn't spend more than retail.
Looking for CC's!

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 00:05:04 »
I have 2 that I bought from ek. white and black skulls

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 June 2013, 00:35:22 »
There's actually a lot of people that have a nice collection that didn't spend more than retail.

Who were fortunate enough to be in a position to have purchased them a few years ago when they were relatively plentiful.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 19 June 2013, 02:26:51 »

Who were fortunate enough to be in a position to have purchased them a few years ago when they were relatively plentiful.

Or just the usual lurkers

Offline le_doosh

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 13:51:06 »
It's art in the form of a keycap

Offline DaveyG

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 14:48:33 »
Gotta say I don't get the whole CC thing at all. While I can appreciate the hand made thing to a degree and some of the plainer ones are quite nice.. skulls in particular seem to me quite.. erm... naff!! (dunno if that term translates). Each to their own I guess

RF 87u 55g            RF 87u 45g          Filco Ninja TKL       Filco Ninja TKL       Filco Majestouch II

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 14:54:03 »
Collectible appeal

Not unlike stamps or model airplanes, the fact that they are rare makes people want them even more.

I like them as well. Because they come in great colors and are well-made. I am happy to pay retail prices for them, but the second-hand prices are too steep for me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 June 2013, 15:07:43 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 16:59:49 »
Because these days most keycaps are made by machine.  There are very few gnomes still making keycaps.

Offline neoezekiel

• My GW2 Guild - The Fallen Souls [SouL]
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 17:20:55 »
I love the thought of handmade goods, especially something that takes a high level of craftsmanship to make.
Too bad the secondary market on click clacks is so high.
WTB: Cherry G80-2550, GnCC/CCnG sets, led mx greens, mx dark greys, Plate Design Service, Case Design Service

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 17:32:35 »
I love the thought of handmade goods, especially something that takes a high level of craftsmanship to make.
Too bad the secondary market on click clacks is so high.

One of my biggest complaints as well, at least for those who buy for the express purpose of flipping them.  Every now and then someone sells one at cost to someone they know will appreciate it and not turn around and sell it for a profit.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 20 June 2013, 18:14:30 »
People like rare things.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 12:23:46 »
I don't really understand why people are willing to pay so much for them. I'm not really drawn to artsy type key caps, myself. I'd pay good money for a spherical set, though.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 12:27:11 »
I don't really understand why people are willing to pay so much for them. I'm not really drawn to artsy type key caps, myself. I'd pay good money for a spherical set, though.

Probably because some people have more money than time. If you make six digit figures, but don't have the time whenever there's a 4grabs, then paying a bunch for a CC is how you roll ;)

Offline 1391406

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 12:58:35 »

Probably because some people have more money than time. If you make six digit figures, but don't have the time whenever there's a 4grabs, then paying a bunch for a CC is how you roll ;)

If you have an interest in them, that makes sense. In my case, it's not about the money. I wouldn't want one even if it were free(except to resell it). To each their own, though.

Offline agodinhost

• Soylent green is people ...
    • Dr Ian O Xaman
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 22 June 2013, 13:05:14 »
I'm wondering about this very same question ...
Building one square I2C keyboard with those 1200 switches (thanks JDCarpe)
GH60 |GH60-Alps |GH60-BT |GHPad/GHPad Alps |GH60-Case |Alps TKL |EL Wire |OS Controller, Round 2 |My Custom Keyboard |WTT/WTB