Author Topic: [IC] DSS White on Black | GB LIVE!  (Read 33140 times)

Offline Leviathan

Re: [IC] DSS White on Black
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 13:44:01 »
i have never tried DSS but might just be getting this to try since its WoB, GLWIC

Yo, been a while since you posted, but thank you for the interest. Kitting update coming soon too...

Offline azzipa

Re: [IC] DSS White on Black | GB Date and Vendors Announced
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 15:46:05 »
More
possible first dss kit for me. i appreciate wob, and already have gmk and mt3 (and i really, really do not like mt3 due to height and scoops) with kat refined on the way.

i appreciate the option for macos kit however i just realized that windows could be a kit, also. then people get what they want without paying for keys that they will *never* use. alternatively, maybe add two 1.5u system keys and another 1u alt key to base? only respond if you want, this is just my standard complaint about having windows format as the only choice in base kit for tsangan/hhkb bottom row.

glwic  :thumb:

Hey thank you for the interest and the feedback. I think if MT3 felt too high DSS is definitely more similar to GMK (Cherry) height wise, just sculpted. Hope you enjoy it if you pick it up.

For the 1.5u System keys and that extra alt, these are keys I keep adding to the base kit and someone inevitably tells me to pull them. Definitely makes sense from a "MacOS support in the base  60% mod kit" but I think this is a "there has to be a cut line somewhere" situation. I have the MacOS child kit to add full Mac legend support and I don't know if Windows users would miss 1.5u System keys as I think in 1.5u instances the Win key is 1u, or non-existent (WKL). So, as I try adding keys back in in my non-public iterations these keys always stick out as a relatively easy cut.

I don't see 1.5u System or equivalent legends in some recent GMK kits, but if these are missed from this set I'll definitely consider them.

i really appreciate your direct response so i'll do my best not to pollute this thread. 1.5u system keys are rarely missed by anyone except mac users interested in tsangan/hhkb. your macos child kit is a decent way to satisfy this niche - and a lot more than what's in most kits. and fwiw, i don't buy gmk kits that force me into a windows-keyed tsangan bottom row. recent kits that support my niche view include stealth (in base), seafarer (in base), hunt (in base), taiga (with extension kit), monochrome (with commando kit), modern ink (with novelties), retro runic (with extension), dualshot 2 (with addition), and currently-abandoned ada (with extension kit). epbt 6085, wapuro, solaria, dreamscape, bow cyrillic, scandi, and space camp (code, not super) also have my desired kitting in base. thanks for reading!

edit: add gmk monochrome, modern ink, retro runic, dualshot 2; epbt dreamscape, bow cyrillic, and scandi
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 May 2021, 11:54:09 by azzipa »

Offline Tomn

Re: [IC] DSS White on Black | GB Date and Vendors Announced
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 19:16:23 »

I'm a fan of the minimalistic WOB aesthetic!
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 May 2021, 21:21:27 by Tomn »

Offline Leviathan

Re: [IC] DSS White on Black | Kitting Update - Pricing Soon
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 10:50:43 »
I've updated the kitting once more. Decided to pull apart the 40% and Ortho kits into separate kits to let an alpha kit + a mod kit for each be priced lower yet offer solid compatibility for each. Also, decided to include a full Colemak alpha kit vs just the compatibility kit. Also, pulled accent bars from the accent kits for cost/the bars are mostly just DSA anyway, which can be found on pimpmykeyboard.com regularly. I will absolutely produce a DSS bars kit in these colors once those molds are available. I also did pull all the accents back to accent kits.

The kitting here is feeling really good to me. The design goals with this set are good coverage with a reasonable entry price. I think I've kit that mark, as you will be able to pickup an alpha kit and a mod kit for a reasonable price and expand into coverage, accents, language compatibility, bars as needed.

The google feedback form has been updated with this kitting, so drop any additional feedback there or reply here or jump into my discord.

I got a quote on this kitting and am working on pricing, there should be an update soon on that.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #54 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 11:22:16 »
nice work, and glwgb  :thumb:

it looks like you've put a LOT of thought into kitting and i'm looking forward to trying dss profile, however i'm a bit sad looking at 60/65/75/TKL kit and realizing i only need 14 of 65 keys (and it's down to 10 with macos kit).

edit: DSS spec sheet found here
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 June 2021, 11:59:23 by azzipa »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 14:29:32 »
nice work, and glwgb  :thumb:

it looks like you've put a LOT of thought into kitting and i'm looking forward to trying dss profile, however i'm a bit sad looking at 60/65/75/TKL kit and realizing i only need 14 of 65 keys (and it's down to 10 with macos kit).

edit: DSS spec sheet found here

Thanks! Yes a lot of focus on kitting. The question is how will this more a-la-carte kitting perform vs a more standard larger base kit.

Are you a 60% user? Yeah I think I was able to improve having to buy extra keys for other sizes, and left the 60%+ crowd with a setup like a non-numpad GMK set. Which, I was relying on that being fairly "normal" and expected. If I didn't have the other compatibility kits I probably would have pulled out the function row and TKL keys into an expansion pack.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 02 June 2021, 14:48:42 »
Thanks! Yes a lot of focus on kitting. The question is how will this more a-la-carte kitting perform vs a more standard larger base kit.

Are you a 60% user? Yeah I think I was able to improve having to buy extra keys for other sizes, and left the 60%+ crowd with a setup like a non-numpad GMK set. Which, I was relying on that being fairly "normal" and expected. If I didn't have the other compatibility kits I probably would have pulled out the function row and TKL keys into an expansion pack.

i think the a la carte will work well, but just my opinion. dss dolch and tecla both had many kits, and kat refined used a similar approach last fall (in case you haven't looked at that set). either way, i'm getting a bit excited to try out dss. and i might just grab the red accents for dss dolch still offered by SP at pimpmykeyboard since the kit is only $8.

EDIT: maybe take a look at your numpad keys? it looks like you have "+" in place of "÷" (and awesome that you didn't choose "/"). also, your minus sign is barely a dash and looks to be a bit small compared to the other symbols, but it could be the multiplication sign is very large. or maybe your renders use a different font? (even your alphas look very different.) your kit is shown with dss dolch and dss carpenteria which both have symbols that look more proportional.

2d EDIT: dss lightcycle was put into ic yesterday. the numpad legends look much more consistent and also use the smaller SP font.

edit: numpad comments and images added
2d edit: found out SP uses two different fonts; added link to dss lightcycle
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 June 2021, 18:28:26 by azzipa »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 08:28:24 »

i think the a la carte will work well, but just my opinion. dss dolch and tecla both had many kits, and kat refined used a similar approach last fall (in case you haven't looked at that set). either way, i'm getting a bit excited to try out dss. and i might just grab the red accents for dss dolch still offered by SP at pimpmykeyboard since the kit is only $8.

EDIT: maybe take a look at your numpad keys? it looks like you have "+" in place of "÷" (and awesome that you didn't choose "/"). also, your minus sign is barely a dash and looks to be a bit small compared to the other symbols, but it could be the multiplication sign is very large. or maybe your renders use a different font? (even your alphas look very different.) your kit is shown with dss dolch and dss carpenteria which both have symbols that look more proportional.

2d EDIT: dss lightcycle was put into ic yesterday. the numpad legends look much more consistent and also use the smaller SP font.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

edit: numpad comments and images added
2d edit: found out SP uses two different fonts; added link to dss lightcycle

Yooo, all great points. I'll fix the division symbol and update the minus to a larger dash. The intention is definitely to match those existing DSS examples. Any variation in the legends in my renders is the fact that I'm not using the same font as SP uses, because I don't think there is a complete webfont version of that specific font. I'm using the font Comfortaa because it's pretty close, but it has full symbol support. It's closer I think than the default font for DSA that KLE pulls in. I'm going to try and have a specific legend discussion with SP around some of these to make sure their visually consistent, like there was a question along the way around the *, to get a 5 point asterisk vs the 6 on dolch.

Offline SafeAtShore

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 23:52:32 »
Please consider adding a second tab to the TKL kit so it can cover 2 boards.

Also, I think the row labels for the numpad are off by one after that top row; home row should be R3 instead of R4, right? Same thing with the 40s kit; top row is R2.

Offline VellFlamm

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 06:04:09 »

Also, I think the row labels for the numpad are off by one after that top row; home row should be R3 instead of R4, right? Same thing with the 40s kit; top row is R2.

i think it should be
R2
R3
R4
R3
R3
R3

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 07:17:54 »

i think it should be
R2
R3
R4
R3
R3
R3

You are absolutely right! I'll fix those labels, thanks for calling them out. Though for some reason Imgur is failing to let me upload images right now...so those image links might break. I'll try again in a few.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 07:38:50 »
All fixed now!

Offline VellFlamm

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 09:49:43 »
All fixed now!

:thumb: Looking forward to the GB!

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 10:13:09 »
Good enough. Would like to see some other accents, but there is a good variety

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 15 June 2021, 11:05:00 »
Good enough. Would like to see some other accents, but there is a good variety

Good enough is my middle name, lol. You talking other colors? I wanted more too, red...pink... Might do some stand-alone accent kits later on.

Offline MattVortex

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 07:14:52 »
In the render for the alphas kit, this key has the wrong legend, it should be [' @], not [1 @]:

Offline RiC0

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 08:29:47 »
The image for the Colemak Alpha kit has the bottom four keys [B D R K] labeled as R3. Am I correct in thinking that they should be R2?

Offline LittleAad

• Hello
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 14:24:13 »
Ne renders with RGB Kit avail?

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 09:20:15 »
In the render for the alphas kit, this key has the wrong legend, it should be [' @], not [1 @]:

(Attachment Link)

I'll double check this, thank you!

The image for the Colemak Alpha kit has the bottom four keys [B D R K] labeled as R3. Am I correct in thinking that they should be R2?

You are right! I'll adjust the row label. Thanks.

Ne renders with RGB Kit avail?

Oh yes, coming soon. New kit and board renders will be out before this launches on July 13th.

Offline Timception

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 09:56:29 »
Whether or not that I get this depends on the vendors, if you send some to ilumkb then I'm in!

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 10:46:41 »
Whether or not that I get this depends on the vendors, if you send some to ilumkb then I'm in!

ilumkb is in! Get hyped. New renders and info on pricing should be coming soon.

Offline jpk6134

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 10:57:40 »
Do you have an idea how long these might take to ship once the GB closes? I'm surprised to see that keycap sets are 15mo+ in some cases, so I'm hoping this one won't be quite as long as that.

Looking forward to seeing the new renders!

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 10:59:38 »
Do you have an idea how long these might take to ship once the GB closes? I'm surprised to see that keycap sets are 15mo+ in some cases, so I'm hoping this one won't be quite as long as that.

Looking forward to seeing the new renders!

I've heard different things coming out of other recent SP projects, and I think there's been a plastic shortage. But it's in the order of a few months at most. Will have a solid estimate once we get a little further along.

Offline svenge

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 14:53:34 »
Not that I need another WOB set ...but they do look the best and DSS is my favorite profile.  I will go in for this as long as it covers standard ANSI full size and typical 65/75% with reasonable prices.  The Norbauer DSS kit was stupid expensive ... Hoping that's not the case with WOB.  Would recommend this profile to anyone, I think it's the best.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 03 July 2021, 09:13:11 »
looking forward to next update. and i’m wondering if a different background (basically any color with some contrast) would help the kitting images pop a bit more?

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 11:25:16 »
looking forward to next update. and i’m wondering if a different background (basically any color with some contrast) would help the kitting images pop a bit more?

Definitely agree on the background, going to lighten it a bit. It helps.

Offline Leviathan

Re: [IC] DSS White on Black | GB July 13th - Pricing Update!
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 15:00:14 »
Yo! Big update prior to the GB starting next Tuesday July 13th. Pricing is up as are new kit/board renders.

Pricing for a few vendors is still TBD as they are waiting for some more accurate exchange rates closer to the GB date. Will update as I receive them.

Look out for Reddit, Keebtalk, and Instagram posts from me and the vendors. Drop your likes, subscribes, comments, etc. in those to support the GB.

One outstanding edit is adding 6.25 and 7u bars to the Colemak alpha kit, rending incoming shortly.

I'm super hyped about this...I hope you are too.

Offline smshark

« Reply #77 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 16:09:13 »
This may have been mentioned elsewhere but I think the RGB kit but have Alt and Shift rows mixed up

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 16:13:03 »
This may have been mentioned elsewhere but I think the RGB kit but have Alt and Shift rows mixed up

Ah yes, thank you. Good call, will update soon.

Offline Leviathan

Re: [IC] DSS White on Black | GB is Live!
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 21:34:53 »
Group buy thread is up and most if not all vendors are live.

Thank you all for the feedback and support!

Offline Leviathan

Re: [IC] DSS White on Black | Updated IC - New Kitting
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 15:03:55 »
IC is back and updated!

New kitting, simpler this time. Take a look and leave any feedback here, in the IC form, or in the discord.

New IC Form

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Tue, 15 February 2022, 09:51:41 by Triticus »

Offline Akele

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 02:28:05 »
IC is back and updated!

New kitting, simpler this time. Take a look and leave any feedback here, in the IC form, or in the discord.

New Proposed Kitting

New IC Form

Thanks!

Great to see this make a return. Hope it generates enough interest for a successful GB, as it's a really nice looking kit.

Offline Gimbal

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 06:29:25 »
I don't have any DSS caps, and this set seems to have norde support... So yes, interested.  :thumb:

Offline Belled

• I like shoobs
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 19:09:53 »
I like it but what's with the green accents?

Offline rpiguy9907

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 14 February 2022, 20:44:50 »
Many older boards came with RGB mods or CYMK mods. It is a vintage look kit.

Google Amstrad CPC464 for an example.

Or look at Vintage Cherry G80 RGB mods.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99047.0
« Last Edit: Mon, 14 February 2022, 20:47:08 by rpiguy9907 »

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 13:11:38 »
Great to see this make a return. Hope it generates enough interest for a successful GB, as it's a really nice looking kit.

Thanks!

I don't have any DSS caps, and this set seems to have norde support... So yes, interested.  :thumb:

Yes indeed, it will have norde support. And ISO moved to the base kit.

I like it but what's with the green accents?

The first version of this had white/green accents and an RGB mod kit. TBD if any of that will move forward into this new version.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 14:04:09 »
Updated kitting again based on feedback.

I've included some basic black on white accents in each kit. Notably missing is an accent ISO enter in the base kit - unfortunately ISO enters are expensive so I opted to leave it out. If there is really enough interest I would gladly run a single accent ISO enter kit, which would cost somewhere around $15 each.

I opted to leave out accent bars as well, again just another cost saving measure. I think with BOW accent bars feel a little less necessary when compared to other non-mono sets.

I also am going to stick just with BOW accents for ESC and Enter keys this time. Again just trying to simplify.

I did keep the RGB kit included because there were a surprising amount of requests for it. I think it's an interesting way to further accent this set or pick it up to mix with other DSS sets.

Offline Akele

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 16:49:31 »
Would you include either trashicons or text modifiers in the base kit, or would you include trashicon mods in an extras kit? TBH I'd buy the base kit whether it had text mods or trashicon mods, but I do have a slight preference for the trashicons.

Personally, I'm not bothered about the kit not having an accent ISO enter and I probably wouldn't buy one if it was available as an extra as I prefer the black enter. I do really like the inclusion of the BoW esc key though so thanks for adding it.
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 February 2022, 16:52:13 by Akele »

Offline menuhin

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 04:11:46 »
So those DSA blank bars are just in normal DSA profile instead of in proper spacebar profile?

When will SP start making DSA / DSS mini spacebars?
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 11:16:12 »
So those DSA blank bars are just in normal DSA profile instead of in proper spacebar profile?

When will SP start making DSA / DSS mini spacebars?

I believe they're working on this, but not yet as far as I know. If they're available by the time this run I'll definitely switch the small bars to Convex as well.

Would you include either trashicons or text modifiers in the base kit, or would you include trashicon mods in an extras kit? TBH I'd buy the base kit whether it had text mods or trashicon mods, but I do have a slight preference for the trashicons.

Personally, I'm not bothered about the kit not having an accent ISO enter and I probably wouldn't buy one if it was available as an extra as I prefer the black enter. I do really like the inclusion of the BoW esc key though so thanks for adding it.

I think we're going to go with text mods this time around as that was what won in the feedback form. I'd absolutely do a trashcon mod expansion kit in the future. Maybe in a round 2 if round 1 is successful we can do more.

Offline JackPikatea

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 28 February 2022, 14:51:10 »
I really like the updated kitting. It's a good set of options

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #91 on: Fri, 06 May 2022, 11:22:03 »
Updated renders, and vendor announcement coming soon. Been a slow wind up for this one, but hoping to pick up speed this spring. I hope you all are still interested. DSS is so good, give it a try...

Offline svenge

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 21 May 2022, 12:44:51 »
I hope you all are still interested. DSS is so good, give it a try...

I'm still watching.  Need more DSS.

Offline Leviathan

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 23 May 2022, 10:46:40 »
Still working. Ditto. New renders soon hopefully and then we'll start progressing again.

I hope you all are still interested. DSS is so good, give it a try...

I'm still watching.  Need more DSS.

Offline twitchytheinsideman

• UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU UWU
    • Twitchy Homepage
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 09 November 2022, 03:20:00 »
Progress?