Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carbon  (Read 335371 times)

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
Re: [IC] GMK Carbon
« Reply #550 on: Sun, 03 July 2016, 21:40:00 »
2 separate drops? Doesn't that mean paying double shipping?

My thoughts. It's logical if you purchase both base kit and novelties you have to pay shipping once. I'll speak to Massdrop about that. I am sure we'll find a solution for this.

AFAIK GMK Royal Alpha's mod kits were ran like separate drops in terms of MOQ but were baked into one 'drop' per se, so you would be dinged only once for shipping.

Offline johuu

« Reply #551 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 01:53:19 »

My thoughts. It's logical if you purchase both base kit and novelties you have to pay shipping once. I'll speak to Massdrop about that. I am sure we'll find a solution for this.

Does this mean that EU purchaser need to pay customs even when they are produced in Germany?

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #552 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 06:21:39 »

Does this mean that EU purchaser need to pay customs even when they are produced in Germany?

yes, I think so :(

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #553 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 06:32:00 »
Definitely in for the base kit. I just sold my Carbon SA sets. I went all out on those, but with this coming, I didn't feel the need to hold onto them.

Offline s3vv4

« Reply #554 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 04:51:51 »

That has always been the case, if GMK sold inside Germany directly the 19% MwSt. would just be included, so it doesn't really matter.
Except for shipping and if you exceed 150 euro, which would add 2% I think.

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #555 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 05:52:05 »
As a Carbon SA owner and a fan of GMK too, imho this set will be awesome. I have OG beige alphas, I have OG Skidata and Skidata+ Orange mods to make this color layout. But they will not make a Carbon set. It was just a puzzle of a proud GMK fan. It lacks the effort to make a complete set, and look at those adorable novelties!!!! It deserves its own GB ofc.

P/S: will this drop be separated like the GMK Royal: Alphas + mods + novelties or it will be devided only to base set + novelties?

Offline Diokhan

« Reply #556 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 05:58:55 »

That has always been the case, if GMK sold inside Germany directly the 19% MwSt. would just be included, so it doesn't really matter.
Except for shipping and if you exceed 150 euro, which would add 2% I think.

150 euro order will become 200 after tax + handling and everything..

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
« Reply #557 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 07:53:04 »
Sorry for no updates as i have become Vater lately :) Got some stress right now  :))

GMK received Carbon SA keys from me and they've send them to their plastic supplier for color matching. As soon as they get the first probes with new plastic they'll send those probes also to me for approval. I will check those probes also for lightbleeding. I hope we'll make it in the first try. So there is still some work to do.

Since i got my Skidata+ (thanks again to Karura for organizing this GB) i'd like to share with you some fotos with color comparisson between Skiadata+ and Carbon.

As you can see, there are shade diffrences. Skidata+ (new V2 color) has a very well balanced orange, where Carbon orange is more darker shade. Also the gray colors deffers too. Carbon grey is lighter than Skidata+. However keep in mind there to many factors like Camera, Monitor etc. which makes it impossible to deliver a color correct picture to you. You can compare them properly first if you see those in person. Also you can make only a subjective opinion, since every person sees the things differently and has its own taste for things.

By the way i also got new renders from Christoph for approval. I have checked them so far and there is nothing missing. Keep in mind the colors in renders are off from Carbon real colors, but its enough to provide you the otherview.
GMK Carbon base kit

Novelties (note the lambda :) )

looking forward to this.
any price drop if the base kit reach 250 even 500?
I cant promise any price drops right now because its up to massdrop. I think probably there will be a pricedrop at 500 moq, but as i said i do not promise this. Take it as rumor.
Its sounds quite weird but it is so. The vendor is US based so its shipped first to US and then back to europe. Hope GMK can open someday their own store for us europeans.

« Last Edit: Sat, 09 July 2016, 03:59:34 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Data

« Reply #558 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 08:17:06 »
OK, I didn't know GMK could do custom legends like that.  Is that a new feature?

Offline The AlbinoDino

« Reply #559 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 08:30:02 »
Very cool keycaps but damn the price of custom stuff

Sorry if this was already answered but why no original carbon novelty set?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #560 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 09:17:52 »
OK, I didn't know GMK could do custom legends like that.  Is that a new feature?
Oh its quite a while since GMK offers custom legends. I think Valentine keyset has offered first custom legend (heart). I got a dream making Yuri with doubleshot cyrillics manufactured by GMK, but with an approximate cost of 250~300$ per custom legend i can keep just dreaming. Now you can count how much new custom legends would cost for GMK Carbon. And still the approximate price will be 70~90$. Quite high but there is a reason for that price tag.
Some people do not like the benzene with two atomic bounds. The Carbon periodic table sign does match only centered alignment and thats not the case here. However as you can see there is still the graphene enter included. The warning signs bring more variety and you can put on number or faunction row. With inverted warning sings it makes even more sense. Overall these Novelties are the better solution for delivering Carbon flair. For some people its the Novelties who makes Carbon for them. Hope you understand my decisions.

Offline Anakey

« Reply #561 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 12:54:02 »
Some people do not like the benzene with two atomic bounds. The Carbon periodic table sign does match only centered alignment and thats not the case here. However as you can see there is still the graphene enter included. The warning signs bring more variety and you can put on number or faunction row. With inverted warning sings it makes even more sense. Overall these Novelties are the better solution for delivering Carbon flair. For some people its the Novelties who makes Carbon for them. Hope you understand my decisions.

Will the novelty kit from the Carbon SA still retain the cyclohexane keys from the first round? Or will it be just the warning signs kit like with the GMK? If it is going to be changed then looks like i will need to find the old style ones from somewhare.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #562 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 13:22:31 »
Just want to add that although the keycaps are produced in Germany, GMK doesn't charge VAT when shipping to US; if they were sold in EU, then VAT would be applied, which I think is around  20%.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #563 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 13:22:46 »
Will the novelty kit from the Carbon SA still retain the cyclohexane keys from the first round? Or will it be just the warning signs kit like with the GMK? If it is going to be changed then looks like i will need to find the old style ones from somewhare.
Next Carbon SA round will retain cyclohexane key. It's just for GMK Carbon i had to exclude it, because it would also require several new molds (1u, 1.25u and 1.5u).

Offline derpingit

« Reply #564 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 13:34:55 »
do we have an ETA yet?

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #565 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 13:42:26 »
do we have an ETA yet?
If everything goes well, the drop for GMK Carbon will start the upcoming monday.

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #566 on: Fri, 08 July 2016, 14:00:28 »
do we have an ETA yet?
If everything goes well, the drop for GMK Carbon will start the upcoming monday.

neat
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #567 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 02:05:12 »
Just want to add that although the keycaps are produced in Germany, GMK doesn't charge VAT when shipping to US; if they were sold in EU, then VAT would be applied, which I think is around  20%.

If the order costs more than 150€ we have to pay the 19% VAT + 17,5% Import tax, which is a pain in the a$$ :( And when GMK ships the order to US, the vendor have to pay VAT+Import tax at US which is not reclaimable when they ship single orders out of US again (As I assume the vendor wouldnt reclaim for every single private shipping). Those costs applied directly on international order. That's why it would be nice if GMK could split shipping to a proxy in German (cost about 20€ for a whole bunch of order) so that all European buyers wont have to pay taxes twice :)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #568 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 10:56:15 »

If the order costs more than 150€ we have to pay the 19% VAT + 17,5% Import tax, which is a pain in the a$$ :( And when GMK ships the order to US, the vendor have to pay VAT+Import tax at US which is not reclaimable when they ship single orders out of US again (As I assume the vendor wouldnt reclaim for every single private shipping). Those costs applied directly on international order. That's why it would be nice if GMK could split shipping to a proxy in German (cost about 20€ for a whole bunch of order) so that all European buyers wont have to pay taxes twice :)

Massdrop would have to have a facility in Germany to have  that happen and as of now their closest facility is in NJ, USA.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #569 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 13:42:06 »
Probably base kit costs far less than 150 euros (for GMK standards). Same for the novelties. I cant tell more right now, so wait until drops start and i hope you will be surprized in a good way.

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #570 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 17:31:40 »

Massdrop would have to have a facility in Germany to have  that happen and as of now their closest facility is in NJ, USA.

I received all my MD orders from their Germany-located facility (the address was shown on the package), and all the taxes are still applied. :(

Probably base kit costs far less than 150 euros (for GMK standards). Same for the novelties. I cant tell more right now, so wait until drops start and i hope you will be surprized in a good way.

Yeah I hope that the price would be a very nice suprise :D  :thumb:

Offline alveeno

« Reply #571 on: Sat, 09 July 2016, 22:58:03 »
Is there any way you could get the icon mods? I'd be all over those.

Offline kkwapnioski

« Reply #572 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 00:11:05 »
Hopefully this means I can buy 3 sets instead of 2? My wallet is prepared...

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #573 on: Sun, 10 July 2016, 03:51:28 »
Is there any way you could get the icon mods? I'd be all over those.
Only Icon mods is not possible. Keep in mind you will not be able to mix it with skidata since the color shades are different. Also Carbon has all 3 custom colors, which means there is no other gmk set with the same colors for mixing. However you can always mix alphas or modifiers completely.
Hopefully this means I can buy 3 sets instead of 2? My wallet is prepared...
Keep in mind i have nothing promised so far. I saw only the previews. The cost may change. So i hope they stay as i have seen them. If they stay, then with all the extras, the custom colors and new custom legends this is going to be very affordable keyset.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 July 2016, 03:57:11 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #574 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 08:07:48 »
TODAY?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #576 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 08:49:39 »
Very good pricing considering that is has custom colors. Good job.

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #578 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 08:53:21 »
woop woop, so on it :D been waiting all day for it to finally appear

Offline inosint

« Reply #579 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 09:19:08 »
At last,  the hype is real!
Thanks for getting this together Tomb3ry

Offline tauhudame

« Reply #580 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 10:25:52 »
Why 2 set have to split to separate package? We have to x2 shipping.

Offline Incredigasmic

• Orange is Love. Orange is Life.
« Reply #581 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 10:31:37 »
If the alphas were beige, it would be the closest thing you could get to an actual render :p

GMK SkiMonkey+

141969-0
"If I married my 6th grade gf I'd be white trash...7th grade I'd be alright" ~ Binge

"Incredi is the foremost master of all things orange" ~ BroCaps

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #582 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 11:02:09 »
Thank you for getting this happened. But it could be great if they split alphas and mods, and can get novelties into one drop with the sets T.T

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #583 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 11:03:01 »

yeah, why two drops and not add-ons with their own MOQs?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #584 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 11:30:30 »
mockups and render do not match -- not only in terms of colour, but legends as well. I assume the mockup is the accurate one?
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #585 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 11:40:41 »
Here we go! :)
mockups and render do not match -- not only in terms of colour, but legends as well. I assume the mockup is the accurate one?
Exactly. The mockup is the correct one. The renders were done before. This is why you see windows keys in renders and Code keys in Mockup.

Because Massdrops system does not support several moq in one drop. Our main goal is the base kit. The novelties are just nice to have. At beginning i was against Novelties but with this pricing we give them a chance. If Novelties do not hit their moq they will not hit, just like that. Merging two drops would be far more complicated. Anyway i will talk to Yanbo regarding shipping cost, hope he gives an insightful explanation for it or a solution. Keep in mind things like costs and shipping are really not up to me.

Offline Malenky

« Reply #586 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 11:49:30 »
I think splitting the novelties into a separate buy is great. I wouldn't have a whole row of random symbols, it completely ruins the look of this set, and having them separately means I don't have to pay more for keys I don't want.

Offline Anakey

« Reply #587 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 12:04:41 »
I will just be waiting a year or possibly longer with the 3500+ others on MD who have requested the SA profile. Its a shame that SP is limited in their workload that means only a limited number of SA sets can be run during the year

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #588 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 12:18:53 »
I will just be waiting a year or possibly longer with the 3500+ others on MD who have requested the SA profile. Its a shame that SP is limited in their workload that means only a limited number of SA sets can be run during the year

I really cannot see how this remark is relevant for this group buy.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #589 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 12:27:19 »
Got a reply from Yanbo. The shipping are calculated by the weight and only by the weight. So if they combine shipping costs it would change nothing... I hope this gives you insightfull explanation.
Hey i would love to run another Carbon SA drop this year. However there are also other Designers with awesome designs in the SA pipeline. Also making Carbon in Cherry profile gives a room to breathe for Signature Plastics and last but not least its an opportunity for people who like Carbon but not SA profile. There are things which are just not up to me to decide... Saying this Carbon SA will probably happen next Year maybe even later. I dont know. Keep in mind there is also Yuri which i want to make real.

Offline tauhudame

« Reply #590 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 13:05:18 »

Because Massdrops system does not support several moq in one drop. Our main goal is the base kit. The novelties are just nice to have. At beginning i was against Novelties but with this pricing we give them a chance. If Novelties do not hit their moq they will not hit, just like that. Merging two drops would be far more complicated. Anyway i will talk to Yanbo regarding shipping cost, hope he gives an insightful explanation for it or a solution. Keep in mind things like costs and shipping are really not up to me.

Just wonder and dont understand for issue in case 2 drops merging together, many set with many kits included have been merged or combined like that what still can have separate kit with MOQ/each require also. It will be easy for us when 2 drops can merge what we can manage/keep tracking the shipping also.  :))

Got a reply from Yanbo. The shipping are calculated by the weight and only by the weight. So if they combine shipping costs it would change nothing... I hope this gives you insightfull explanation.

Yes, thanks for your helping & trying  :thumb:

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #591 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 13:24:18 »
committed

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #592 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 13:35:49 »
Joined! First GMK set here I come! :thumb:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #593 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 13:53:01 »
We did it! Over 250 sets. Thanks everyone. :thumb:

Thats pretty good for a redundant keyset  :))

Offline nugglets

« Reply #594 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 14:05:44 »
Was it ever decided if this was going to use the custom colors or not?

Online o3okevin

« Reply #595 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 14:05:47 »
We did it! Over 250 sets. Thanks everyone. :thumb:

Thats pretty good for a redundant keyset  :))

That was an amazingly fast buy, congrats!

Offline WOMBO

« Reply #596 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 14:53:31 »
shoutouts to the mysterious man who put in over 115 orders in one go

Offline nugglets

« Reply #597 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 15:11:13 »

lol... That's just what happens when there are so many people "committed" to the lowest price point. Once it hits the number required, all those orders get added to the total at once.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #598 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 15:14:11 »
I mean i saw a "COMMIT AT 115$" button. Which means you will automaticaly commit if the price drops that low. Am i wrong? If i am wrong than lets cheer to our friends from far east  ;)

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #599 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 15:26:34 »
I mean i saw a "COMMIT AT 115$" button. Which means you will automaticaly commit if the price drops that low. Am i wrong? If i am wrong than lets cheer to our friends from far east  ;)

this is correct.

once x (number of committers) + current orders = MOQ (250?) then itll jump to the last pricing.

yay good job geeks