Author Topic: [IC] DS ABS SA Profile Keycaps - GB IS LIVE  (Read 72035 times)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
Re: [IC] DS SA Profile Keycaps - RE-VOTING FOR COLORS!
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 09:53:10 »
On a more serious note, I really did like The Deep or Deep Blue from the OP.

YES

The Deep and Just a Phase are my runners up.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 10:00:25 »
Voted!

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:06:07 »
Power Underwhelming!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:23:56 »
Bad news, guys. SoWaRe is starting to take the lead in Favorites
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #154 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:51:21 »
Out of curiosity can someone post the SoWaRe layout?

For some reason it's ringing a bell but visuals are failing me.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:58:01 »
SoWaRe

It *was* from this thread.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 18:59:07 »
SoWaRe

Show Image

Isn't that the one where the muffed up the color scheme? The legends should be a darker blue.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 19:35:09 »
SoWaRe

Show Image

I always knew what SoWaRe was but why are so many people here so crazy about this colour scheme?

Maybe I'm old but I find it reminds me of a WYSE-like aborted colour sample, left out in the sun for a few days.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 19:37:26 »
Isn't that the one where the muffed up the color scheme? The legends should be a darker blue.

It should actually match the traditional WYSE blue colour, which is like a deep navy.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 19:42:55 »
I'm hoping for purple haze.

We need more purple love!

Offline germy

« Reply #160 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 20:08:49 »
How could you guys not like On a Roll over Soware?!

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 20:24:21 »
Of the choices, I think On a Roll is the cleanest, most professional.  It could have come out of a late '70s terminal or early PC.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline germy

« Reply #162 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 20:26:01 »
Of the choices, I think On a Roll is the cleanest, most professional.  It could have come out of a late '70s terminal or early PC.
Listen to this man!

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 20:27:44 »
As we get more and more votes, it is definitely coming down to SoWaRe and On a Roll, with Yolch at an increasingly distant third.

I like SoWaRe, and I'd buy one, but I'm hoping for On a Roll here.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 20:28:59 »
I forgot to ask but will these be cherry legend and will the modifiers be fixed?
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 20:37:01 »
SoWaRe

Show Image

I always knew what SoWaRe was but why are so many people here so crazy about this colour scheme?

Maybe I'm old but I find it reminds me of a WYSE-like aborted colour sample, left out in the sun for a few days.

Behold the Power of 'meh'.
Yeah I don't see why its so popular.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 20:39:15 »
I forgot to ask but will these be cherry legend and will the modifiers be fixed?

I wasn't sure what legends SP offers, so I asked in my email to them.
Is there a certain set of legends you're looking for?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by 'fixed'

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 20:41:39 »

I wasn't sure what legends SP offers, so I asked in my email to them.
Is there a certain set of legends you're looking for?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by 'fixed'

If you look at R4 SA sets, the enter, shift.... are smaller than they should be
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 20:43:56 »
I'll double check with SP as soon as email correspondence is established.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 21:04:31 »
As we get more and more votes, it is definitely coming down to SoWaRe and On a Roll, with Yolch at an increasingly distant third.

I like SoWaRe, and I'd buy one, but I'm hoping for On a Roll here.

I'll go for On A Roll.

The problem with Soware is that it's too similar to the Ollivetti set and other white and grey sets.

On A Roll has subtle colors that look good but not over powering. You can use it on many different boards.

Offline ___q

« Reply #170 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 21:14:24 »
I feel like SoWaRe is winning just because there are so many different choices and people have heard of it. There are lots of good color combinations there, OP has good taste.

That being said, even a SoWaRe set for, say, an ergodox would be pretty sick.  Is there any chance of (at least blanks) for the extra keys?

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 21:24:51 »
I feel like SoWaRe is winning just because there are so many different choices and people have heard of it. There are lots of good color combinations there, OP has good taste.

That being said, even a SoWaRe set for, say, an ergodox would be pretty sick.  Is there any chance of (at least blanks) for the extra keys?

Oh, yeah, I'm getting quotes for extra keys. I'm getting the entire F row, and home cluster for both the alphas and the mods, space bar will come with both sets, ~ and \ will come with both sets, plus I'm getting a quote for ISO, and ergodox.

Do you want legends on the ergodox? Or at least on the 1x1 keys? And if so, what legends do you want on the 1x1s? I'm not a Doxer, so I don't know what layout you guys tend to use. Let me know and I'll get a quote for it.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #172 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 21:28:30 »
SoWaRe

Show Image

According to the the DT Wiki, there was a Korean GB which tried to mimic WYSE but messed up the blue and this is how SoWaRe started. The darker blue is WYSE.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #173 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 21:29:43 »
Oh.

I like the dark blue significantly more.

Maybe not the near black, midnight sort of blue, but that light blue is not okay with me.

Offline ___q

« Reply #174 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 21:39:05 »

Oh, yeah, I'm getting quotes for extra keys. I'm getting the entire F row, and home cluster for both the alphas and the mods, space bar will come with both sets, ~ and \ will come with both sets, plus I'm getting a quote for ISO, and ergodox.

Do you want legends on the ergodox? Or at least on the 1x1 keys? And if so, what legends do you want on the 1x1s? I'm not a Doxer, so I don't know what layout you guys tend to use. Let me know and I'll get a quote for it.

I don't actually have my ergodox yet, I'm in the most recent group of massdrop orders (which are still being taken), so take this with a grain of salt.

I think the only keys you need for ergodox "compatibility" are 4 extra 2x keys and 12 extra 1.5x keys, and I think usually they are made blank, since people map them to random things (and are the "accent" colors that ctrl/shift/etc. would be).  It's the long keys in the thumb clusters and the grey keys around the alphanumerics in this picture: http://ergodox.org/Images/ErgoDox_001_L.png (the profiles would ideally match the alphanumeric rows they're beside).

(as a comparison, the commando GB that is ongoing has an ergodox option, I think it ended up being ~$25, and they only had about ten orders for it)

EDIT:: though I guess I'm not sure what people really do in terms of caps for that bottom row -- that's a lot of 1x keys.

EDIT2:: The commando set had 38 keys, my bad: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-ESkj1o5Y_Xw/UfIAN2fgHTI/AAAAAAAAEeI/KashcMmOAHU/w1357-h519-no/ErgoDox-kit-40.png  I guess this would be ideal since SA actually has different profiles for different rows (unlike DSA where you can just put anything anywhere)
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2013, 21:44:43 by ___q »

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #175 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 02:23:20 »
Oh.

I like the dark blue significantly more.

Maybe not the near black, midnight sort of blue, but that light blue is not okay with me.

Yeah I'm the same, the light blue on white keys just doesn't do it for me. Just seems like it's not high enough contrast.

Fingers crossed On A Roll makes it through, I'd be honored to have my mockup put into production :)
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Larken

« Reply #176 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 06:38:03 »

The thing about the ergodox and legends is that almost everyone uses different layout, so you can't cater for everything. That said, the only GB that ever had usable legended keys for the ergodox was the DSA Retro. Specifically kit 7 and kit 9 from the picture below. (I pretty much grabbed two of both kits for my ergodox).

When compared to these, blanks for mods on the ergodox just doesn't really measure up. Of course, the prices are a factor - if offering blanks - do check if its possible for blanks to be available, outside of a kit - meaning purchased loosely.

I have no idea what magic Matt3o and Samwisekoi worked in the past for their GB, but I believe I actually paid a mere 23 dollars (I could be mistaken though, but I believe it was around this amount) for enough blanks to cover one ergodox (granted, the DSA retro was a ginormous buy). I have no idea if this is the reason, but paying 25 bucks for a 'ergodox kit' of blanks that aren't even complete (thinking commando here), or more than 50 bucks for a complete dolch blanks ergodox kit (refering to DSA Dolch blanks) doesn't seem like an attractive deal to me, when considering the options DSA retro had.

Do keep in mind that I bring this up not as a criticism/complaint to the aforementioned groupbuys (they offered something, I took a look, wasn't interested enough to join, and that's that), but as a possible explanation as to why those ergodox kits didn't exactly garner much interest.

Legend options wise, price wise, they just didn't compare to the Retro DSA imho. My personal take is that I wouldn't buy any more ergodox keycap kits unless they're able to at least 'match up' in terms of flexibility and options for legends; i.e. I wouldn't swap out my set with legends for a set with blanks.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #177 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 06:46:48 »

The thing about the ergodox and legends is that almost everyone uses different layout, so you can't cater for everything. That said, the only GB that ever had usable legended keys for the ergodox was the DSA Retro. Specifically kit 7 and kit 9 from the picture below. (I pretty much grabbed two of both kits for my ergodox).

Show Image

When compared to these, blanks for mods on the ergodox just doesn't really measure up. Of course, the prices are a factor - if offering blanks - do check if its possible for blanks to be available, outside of a kit - meaning purchased loosely.

I have no idea what magic Matt3o and Samwisekoi worked in the past for their GB, but I believe I actually paid a mere 23 dollars (I could be mistaken though, but I believe it was around this amount) for enough blanks to cover one ergodox (granted, the DSA retro was a ginormous buy). I have no idea if this is the reason, but paying 25 bucks for a 'ergodox kit' of blanks that aren't even complete (thinking commando here), or more than 50 bucks for a complete dolch blanks ergodox kit (refering to DSA Dolch blanks) doesn't seem like an attractive deal to me, when considering the options DSA retro had.

Do keep in mind that I bring this up not as a criticism/complaint to the aforementioned groupbuys (they offered something, I took a look, wasn't interested enough to join, and that's that), but as a possible explanation as to why those ergodox kits didn't exactly garner much interest.

Legend options wise, price wise, they just didn't compare to the Retro DSA imho. My personal take is that I wouldn't buy any more ergodox keycap kits unless they're able to at least 'match up' in terms of flexibility and options for legends; i.e. I wouldn't swap out my set with legends for a set with blanks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but an ErgoDoxer would be interested in a set of alphas, as well as kits 7 and 9 as you listed, right?
Once I get a response back from SP, I'll bring it up, get prices, and offer them. If no one takes me up on the ergo kits, I'm not going to be heartbroken over it, I'm just trying to offer as many options as possible.

On a side note. I'm making the call, here. We're going forward with On a Roll. I'll be resetting the voting page, so we can do a new vote on 3 variants of On a Roll. Same keycap colors, but voting on alternate legends. The options will be White, as shown, Beige, as I linked, and grey.

If you've got another idea for legends on this set, post an example.

Offline Larken

« Reply #178 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 06:55:00 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but an ErgoDoxer would be interested in a set of alphas, as well as kits 7 and 9 as you listed, right?
Once I get a response back from SP, I'll bring it up, get prices, and offer them. If no one takes me up on the ergo kits, I'm not going to be heartbroken over it, I'm just trying to offer as many options as possible.

On a side note. I'm making the call, here. We're going forward with On a Roll. I'll be resetting the voting page, so we can do a new vote on 3 variants of On a Roll. Same keycap colors, but voting on alternate legends. The options will be White, as shown, Beige, as I linked, and grey.

If you've got another idea for legends on this set, post an example.

yes. alphas, kits 7 and 9, possibly with 1.5u blanks, as even kit 9 wouldn't be able to cover them all (which could technically be substituted with blanks/relegendables - ___q mentioned those were 12x 1.5u, 4x 2u, and about 18x 1u keys, and he's right.).

If you want to try and provide legended keys for the ergodox, DSA Retro is probably the best example to look at in terms of coverage.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 07:00:49 »
Also, I think we can safely get some 2x keys,"return" and "backspace". I think almost everyone uses these two on the 2x, correct me if wrong.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
Re: [IC] DS ABS SA Profile Keycaps - VOTING ONCE MORE!
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 07:22:10 »
Everybody check the OP. New vote is up.

Sorry for all the voting, but I'm kind of excited about giving you guys a GB that YOU want, instead of a GB that I want.

I added red, yella and bloo, and I think they all look fantastic. I think the only one I wouldn't actually buy right now is Red, simply because I don't foresee a keyboard it would go with in my near future.

So, vote and we'll move forward with this GB.

And I'll definitely be offering an ergodox option. Most likely the vertical mods will be blank (like the 2x) but we'll include kits 7 and 9, just like they've got it in the other GB.
Thanks for the input on that side. Glad I can cater to those guys.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 07:32:14 »
Voted again :)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 07:32:54 »
^ What he said!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 07:54:59 »
And the two of you have not similar, but exactly the same tastes.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 08:06:14 »
So I have two questions:

1) Can you keep the old information and layouts in the OP? Some of the color schemes were great. I think it'd be nice to have an archive or them so we can refer to them later and maybe use them in another GB?

2) Are you going to be running this GB?

Also I voted.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 08:11:43 »

Must be a sign! I think it's safe for you to create the GB now :D

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 08:14:52 »
Voted here as well
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline thebeargentile

« Reply #187 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 08:16:54 »
Voted

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 08:29:31 »

Must be a sign! I think it's safe for you to create the GB now :D

*internet hi-5*

Offline aj-kun

« Reply #189 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 08:54:09 »
VOTE YELLA EVERYONE.

This Navy GB needs nautical themed winkeys & esc keys

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #190 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 08:55:03 »
So I have two questions:

1) Can you keep the old information and layouts in the OP? Some of the color schemes were great. I think it'd be nice to have an archive or them so we can refer to them later and maybe use them in another GB?

2) Are you going to be running this GB?

Also I voted.

Nobody else has stepped up, so I've taken on the mantle.

And I've already deleted the info from the OP, but the images are still in the thread. If you'd like, I can compile it back up.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #191 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 09:08:33 »
I can't decide between the legend colors.

I think grey will be to subtle for the text. White is too easy which will make it boring. I think red is and odd match for the color scheme.

I can't decide between the rest. I'll look at then again later to see if I can decide.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #192 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 09:33:25 »
1) Nobody else has stepped up, so I've taken on the mantle.

2)And I've already deleted the info from the OP, but the images are still in the thread. If you'd like, I can compile it back up.

1) Sounds good :D

2) Um, as long as they're somewhere then it should be fine. The Yolch was really popular and I loved The Deep so I'd like to see other buys have access to that option.

Thanks for answering my questions ^__^

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #193 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 09:41:16 »
I can't decide between the legend colors.

I think grey will be to subtle for the text. White is too easy which will make it boring. I think red is and odd match for the color scheme.

I can't decide between the rest. I'll look at then again later to see if I can decide.

As a head's up, Red has 0 votes, and Bloo is in a strong lead at 9 votes, with the next contender sitting at 7.
Also, Bloo has the most favorites.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #194 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 10:02:42 »
SoWaRe

Show Image

Just for future reference guys. SoWaRe is linked in the post above. WYSE is in the post below (borrowing the picture from TheFlyingRacoon)

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #195 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 10:16:55 »
Yeah, I'd like to see a happy medium between the two. Wyse is too dark, SoWaRe is too bright.

Offline Latin00032

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #196 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 10:31:04 »
I voted for bloo. I'm still not sure what I want.

Offline deSheol

• Thorpe
« Reply #197 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 10:42:40 »
Yeah, I'd like to see a happy medium between the two. Wyse is too dark, SoWaRe is too bright.

The wyse in the picture has some yellowing. I'm sure that's not the true WYSE color.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #198 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 10:52:41 »
I'm familiar with the wyse coloring, though I've never seen it in person, and in every picture it appears indistinguishable from black, to me.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #199 on: Sat, 24 August 2013, 10:57:27 »

The wyse in the picture has some yellowing. I'm sure that's not the true WYSE color.

If they're from a WYSE board I assume thats the WYSE color...

But maybe its a bad picture. You can try nubbinator's pictures as well.