Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3516799 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #4350 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 17:51:49 »
Does any of the firmware for teensy based projects have the ability to send a different key code based on being tapped or held?  Looking to use the ESC key as function. I want to be able to tap it and it is ESC but if I hold it down it would be Function.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #4351 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 19:28:48 »
I'm sure this is an obvious answer, but only to those who have physically seen the switches in question.

So, you buy/design/steal a PCB. It was built with the expectation of, probably, cherry MX keyswitches. Matias makes alps clones which some say are nice. Some users swear by Topre mechanical.

Since you can't tell by staring at the keycap, what actuation is going on underneath, are these switches interchangeable? Can I desolder ALPs keys from an ebay find and put them on my phantom, or ergodox?

If not, do we all, as a community, assume that PCBs floating around all expect Cherry MX unless expressly stated otherwise?

I guess a second question, related, is "are there MX clones" although matias didn't start, I'm guessing, until ALPS quit. But still ... can I arbitrarily get "generic" mechanical switches that will work with an arbitrary PCB I might be holding in my hand?

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4352 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 19:39:51 »
I'm sure this is an obvious answer, but only to those who have physically seen the switches in question.

So, you buy/design/steal a PCB. It was built with the expectation of, probably, cherry MX keyswitches. Matias makes alps clones which some say are nice. Some users swear by Topre mechanical.

Since you can't tell by staring at the keycap, what actuation is going on underneath, are these switches interchangeable? Can I desolder ALPs keys from an ebay find and put them on my phantom, or ergodox?

If not, do we all, as a community, assume that PCBs floating around all expect Cherry MX unless expressly stated otherwise?

I guess a second question, related, is "are there MX clones" although matias didn't start, I'm guessing, until ALPS quit. But still ... can I arbitrarily get "generic" mechanical switches that will work with an arbitrary PCB I might be holding in my hand?

Alps switch pins are in different positions than MX switches, so they won't work with an MX PCB.

Topre switches are capacitive so they're an entirely different beast.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4353 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 19:41:54 »
Further, it is pretty much assumed that MOST PCBs will be MX, being they've been the most popular, unless otherwise described as being something else. But it's also best to know rather than assume.

There are MX clones, but they're pretty much crap, and I don't think you're going to save any money over getting the real deal, especially on some of these classifieds deals.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4354 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 19:51:13 »
1) I'm sure this is an obvious answer, but only to those who have physically seen the switches in question.

2) Since you can't tell by staring at the keycap, what actuation is going on underneath, are these switches interchangeable? Can I desolder ALPs keys from an ebay find and put them on my phantom, or ergodox?

3) If not, do we all, as a community, assume that PCBs floating around all expect Cherry MX unless expressly stated otherwise?

4) I guess a second question, related, is "are there MX clones"

5) although matias didn't start, I'm guessing, until ALPS quit.

6) But still ... can I arbitrarily get "generic" mechanical switches that will work with an arbitrary PCB I might be holding in my hand?

1) Read up and look at: Cherry, Alps, Topre, Buckling Spring.

2) No you can just swap switches in. The PCB, plate, and controller are specifically designed for a certain switch.

3) The PCBs are usually stated as to what they are. 90% of custom PCBs are MX and we're starting to see some Alps. But you can't swap Alps into MX.

4) Yes there are MX clones, check this out

5) Matias took the idea of his switches from Apple AEKs. Think the AEKs were still around when he started the idea. Read up on the Matias switches here

6) There are tons of different mechanical switches. They all mount differently. There's no "generic" switch per se but much of the stuff the forum is into is Cherry MX stuff since its the most popular switch type.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #4355 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 23:06:33 »
Does any of the firmware for teensy based projects have the ability to send a different key code based on being tapped or held?  Looking to use the ESC key as function. I want to be able to tap it and it is ESC but if I hold it down it would be Function.

This is a great question. I don't know of any firmwares that can configure that in the general case but it should be relatively easy to program into an existing one.  I implemented something similar in my own code for emulating Matias half keyboard.  Tap space and you get space. Hold it down and you access the 'special' layer.

The trick is to hold off sending the key code on the downstroke and use some memory.

Are you using a phantom?  I could whip you up a proof-of-concept

Offline acer589

• Gotta get out of college
« Reply #4356 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 01:15:25 »
So, I have no idea the point of "stickers" could someone explain them?
MX Blue Black Widow Ultimate    MX Black Quickfire Rapid TKL    MX Black Poker II

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4357 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 01:23:49 »
Check the OP.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4358 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 01:27:59 »

This is a great question. I don't know of any firmwares that can configure that in the general case but it should be relatively easy to program into an existing one.  I implemented something similar in my own code for emulating Matias half keyboard.  Tap space and you get space. Hold it down and you access the 'special' layer.

The trick is to hold off sending the key code on the downstroke and use some memory.

Are you using a phantom?  I could whip you up a proof-of-concept

Not a phantom but a Teensy 2.0 hardwired matrix of my own layout.  but nothing is built yet see the link in my sig for the process.  It is going to be a TKL with the Function row in a layer on the number row and media keys in the same layer on the navigation block.  The Esc key is going to be in the Tilde position but was hoping to use that key on a hold as the Function key to access said layer.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #4359 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 01:47:17 »
Alps switch pins are in different positions than MX switches, so they won't work with an MX PCB.

Further, it is pretty much assumed that MOST PCBs will be MX, being they've been the most popular, unless otherwise described as being something else. But it's also best to know rather than assume.

[snipping the rewording of my post into bullet form]

1) Read up and look at: Cherry, Alps, Topre, Buckling Spring.

2) No you can't just swap switches in. The PCB, plate, and controller are specifically designed for a certain switch.

3) The PCBs are usually stated as to what they are. 90% of custom PCBs are MX and we're starting to see some Alps. But you can't swap Alps into MX.

4) Yes there are MX clones, check this out

5) Matias took the idea of his switches from Apple AEKs. Think the AEKs were still around when he started the idea. Read up on the Matias switches here

6) There are tons of different mechanical switches. They all mount differently. There's no "generic" switch per se but much of the stuff the forum is into is Cherry MX stuff since its the most popular switch type.

These have all been so helpful. In particular I didn't know that, about the controller (so, a teensy would need different firmware for a mostly-the-same PCB that was re-wired for Alps, then?)

Any chance I could recommend some condensed form of this, be included in the FAQ/OP? I know I, for one, have spent some fair amount of time trying to tease out such solid answers as whether pin arrangement differed between switch companies.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4360 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 06:11:21 »
1) so, a teensy would need different firmware for a mostly-the-same PCB that was re-wired for Alps, then?

2) Any chance I could recommend some condensed form of this, be included in the FAQ/OP? I know I, for one, have spent some fair amount of time trying to tease out such solid answers as whether pin arrangement differed between switch companies.

1) Think that the firmware is different because of how the Alps and MX switches are scanned in the software? So yes there would be a need for different firmware. The rows and columns? I'm not 100% how firmware works. You can check out the Teensy guide for more info. But I think the common form of Alps and MX are similar enough that a firmware could handle both? There are now PCBs that allow for Alps and MX to be mounted on the same PCB. But that's only two types of switches out of many. For example, check out how many variants of switches the Alps company made.

2) I add things to the OP based on how often questions are asked both here and on the forums. Since I've never seen you particular question asked, I won't be adding it immediately. If I see that question asked more or there is a demand, I will add it later.

Edit: In regards to #1, please check Komar's explanation on a keyboard matrix out. As you can see below, I'm mistaken in my comment but I'm going to leave it up so people can learn with me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:26:57 by CPTBadAss »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4361 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 06:44:09 »
CPT, have you read komar's tech blog yet? If not, you should. :)

http://blog.komar.be/how-to-make-a-keyboard-the-matrix/
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4362 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:10:20 »

No I haven't JD. Thanks for the link.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #4363 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:13:36 »
How are the firmware and controller designed for a switch type?  Alps and Cherry are both just momentary contact switches.  Only difference is the footprint.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4364 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:21:43 »
How are the firmware and controller designed for a switch type?  Alps and Cherry are both just momentary contact switches.  Only difference is the footprint.

I totally was guessing. I'm not really sure so please feel free to correct me.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4365 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:23:29 »

I must say that is an awesome write up at that link and I think I am going to have to bookmark that home page.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #4366 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 13:15:14 »

I'm pretty sure TMK_firmware implements this functionality

I would assume they have different debounce times, but that's more an issue with tuning the firmware.

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #4367 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 15:42:24 »
Is it really necessary to lube ergo clears with 62g springs?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #4368 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 15:45:45 »
Necessary? No, they're not going to stick. Recommended? Absolutely 100%, but I think non lubed linear and tactile switches feel like garbage.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4369 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 15:47:03 »

Necessary? No. You don't have to lube any switch really, just more personal preference. Some of the ergo clears I've tried have mods that are sticky and dont rebound correctly. Lube might help that? You can read some ergo-clears threads to see what the general consensus is.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #4370 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 16:07:02 »
I like unlubed stock Clears on my OH's Ducky Shine very much.  All of the keyboards I've modified have lubed switches, but I like those stock Clears just as much.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4371 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 17:26:47 »

They'll stick very badly on the upstroke if you don't. It doesn't affect typing at all but it feels awful.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4372 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 22:17:56 »
Can someone tell me what a crab bag is and where can I get one?

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #4373 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 22:20:44 »

A crap bag, I assume :P

It's a product from SP in which they put leftover caps, caps with defects and things like that. I think they only sell it once a year.

I also think there was someone on the classifieds selling some.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4374 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 22:21:31 »

A crap bag, I assume :P

It's a product from SP in which they put leftover caps, caps with defects and things like that. I think they only sell it once a year.

I also think there was someone on the classifieds selling some.

Sorry, I'm a pretty big newb. What is SP?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #4375 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 22:22:00 »

you can buy them from Signature Plastics, a keycap and plastics company
basically 1000 (?) mixmatched keycaps that are either fine, 1-offs or have something wrong with them

normally you would buy from here, but they are sold out atm
http://keycapsdirect.com/marketplace.php

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4376 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 22:44:13 »
Twice a year?  Last one was July this year, previous one was December last year.

Apparently they were called "grab bags" but someone from GH during a site visit referred to them as "crap bags" and the name kinda stuck, even at SP.

They contain a ransom selection of keycaps - no-one has ever reported a complete set.  You might be lucky (usually you are) to find a few rare or sought-after keycaps.  The July catch was Hapsters.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4377 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 22:51:41 »
Twice a year?  Last one was July this year, previous one was December last year.

Apparently they were called "grab bags" but someone from GH during a site visit referred to them as "crap bags" and the name kinda stuck, even at SP.

They contain a ransom selection of keycaps - no-one has ever reported a complete set.  You might be lucky (usually you are) to find a few rare or sought-after keycaps.  The July catch was Hapsters.

I've still got a few thousand to go through so I'll keep hope alive :P

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4378 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 22:56:00 »

I've still got a few thousand to go through so I'll keep hope alive :P

I guess if you buy enough bags you might get a full set.

WoB DS probably.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4379 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 23:08:31 »
How much did each bag cost?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4380 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 01:02:30 »
How much did each bag cost?

$35 this time around IIRC.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #4381 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 03:17:28 »
Anyone ever tried installing an RGB led into an MX key?

Edit to add question.  Are SP's legends for double shots row and or cap size specific?  IE can I get Control legend on a tab key without having a custom legend cut?  Or more specifically to what I would love to have done, could I get get 1x legends done on 1.5x caps for double shots again without a special legend cut?
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 October 2013, 04:06:02 by Melvang »

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #4382 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 06:52:41 »

They'll stick very badly on the upstroke if you don't. It doesn't affect typing at all but it feels awful.

Yuck. Sounds like I will have to pick up some krytox mixture and victorinox oil!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4383 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 08:13:36 »
1) Anyone ever tried installing an RGB led into an MX key?

2) Are SP's legends for double shots row and or cap size specific?  IE can I get Control legend on a tab key without having a custom legend cut?  Or more specifically to what I would love to have done, could I get get 1x legends done on 1.5x caps for double shots again without a special legend cut?

1) There's a new board out from Ducky, I believe, that has an RGB LED on the CTRL, Shift, and ALT keys.

2) I think they have two piece molding: the second shot would have the cap itself and the profile. The first shot is the legend. So if they already have the mold, you wouldnt have to pay. I'm fairly sure theres a mold for CTRL that fits into tab. But for something like 1x legends on 1.5x keys, I'm not sure that's possible. BLJConsulting or Melissa at SP would know for sure.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4384 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:52:01 »
So I know you can search your PM inbox but how do you search PM's that you've sent out??

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #4385 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 12:59:26 »
Anyone ever tried installing an RGB led into an MX key?
I distinctly recall a youtube video demonstrating the assembly of the Ergodox kit, where the (Scandinavian by the accent but I forget who) vlogger modifies the caps lock to accept an LED, which involves a dremel to the keyswitch cover before soldering the LED to board next to the switch in question.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4386 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:11:40 »
So I know you can search your PM inbox but how do you search PM's that you've sent out??

I tried my usual search methods: GH PM search, search at the top right of GH, then a Google search "site:<myPMurl> <myoldmessage>" and none of those worked.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4387 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 13:26:50 »

I tried my usual search methods: GH PM search, search at the top right of GH, then a Google search "site:<myPMurl> <myoldmessage>" and none of those worked.

perhaps we can call it a bug then :eek:

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4388 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 17:39:55 »
I think you have to check something when you send the message that sends the pm into your mailbox. Otherwise you can't get it back

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4389 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 17:41:08 »
I think you have to check something when you send the message that sends the pm into your mailbox. Otherwise you can't get it back

Even if you save a copy to your Outbox, which I have done, I can't figure out how to search the Outbox.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4390 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 18:02:20 »
I'm thinking of making a custom numpad, where the -+enter is on the left side and there is a row of macro keys on top and below.

Anybody know how to do this? I'm pretty new to modding

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4391 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 18:48:43 »
I'm thinking of making a custom numpad, where the -+enter is on the left side and there is a row of macro keys on top and below.

Anybody know how to do this? I'm pretty new to modding

If you're asking how to make an entire custom numpad, this is definitely not a simple question. Check out the GH10 pad and the Making Stuff Together forum for more info.

If you're asking how to remap a numpad you can buy, such as the Filco one, you can use AutoHotKey.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4392 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 18:52:38 »
I check out that subforum.

Want to make my own custom pad, been having this theory that I want to try out of gaming with a numpad that can still double as a pad

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4393 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 19:22:50 »
Why are my white switches so much quieter when I press them with my fingers rather than with keycaps? Is it resonating within the keycap?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #4394 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 19:54:06 »
Why are my white switches so much quieter when I press them with my fingers rather than with keycaps? Is it resonating within the keycap?

Pretty sure that's the same with all switches
(from experience)

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4395 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 20:01:03 »
What is this dark magic?!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4396 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 20:43:15 »

Your finger is denser than a keycap so the sound waves don't travel as much? I had the same experience as you and dubsgalore. All switches seem like this.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4397 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 21:17:29 »
Thanks for that simple answer, CPT! Or should I say....LE twin...

I guess WKL makes me the evil twin....BWAHAHAHAHA.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4398 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 21:45:35 »
As long as you got the Titanium color LE, you can be the evil twin. :P

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4399 on: Fri, 04 October 2013, 21:50:54 »
Titanium is the best color. That's a simple answer right there.