Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3521750 times)

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #15300 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 17:39:59 »
What is the measurement of the "Enter" key on the Pok3r?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2.25 units width for the ANSI version, remarking just in case there is an ISO one.
So then 1.75 would be tab and 2 would be something else, correct?

Tab is 1.5. 1.75 would be caps lock. 2 units is backspace.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline 9fiftyfive

« Reply #15301 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 17:40:53 »
What is the measurement of the "Enter" key on the Pok3r?

2.25 units width for the ANSI version, remarking just in case there is an ISO one.
So then 1.75 would be tab and 2 would be something else, correct?

Tab is 1.5. 1.75 would be caps lock. 2 units is backspace.
Thanks then

Offline streetwizzur

• ok
« Reply #15302 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 21:10:37 »
So I built my gh60 rev. C. I know it supports a few leds (WASD, etc) but I need resistors, what kind would I need to get? There seems to be through holes on the pcb where they would go.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #15303 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 21:13:59 »
Does anyone here offer handwiring services? Searching the artisan forum is rough. If I can't find someone I'll attempt it myself but... I'd rather not.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15304 on: Wed, 22 June 2016, 21:26:31 »
Does anyone here offer handwiring services? Searching the artisan forum is rough. If I can't find someone I'll attempt it myself but... I'd rather not.
You can always post a WTB Handwiring Services in classifieds buy be specific about what you want.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #15305 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 02:48:43 »
So I built my gh60 rev. C. I know it supports a few leds (WASD, etc) but I need resistors, what kind would I need to get? There seems to be through holes on the pcb where they would go.

Depends on what LEDs you intend to use. For most LEDs rated at 20mA, ~2V, people use anything between 133 - 1500ohms.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #15306 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 03:32:54 »
Depends on what LEDs you intend to use. For most LEDs rated at 20mA, ~2V, people use anything between 133 - 1500ohms.

When I had that same question I was told pretty much the same thing.

I was told these should work so I or ordered them https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0185FC5IG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I still haven't built my GH60 yet though to test them out.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #15307 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 04:00:19 »
There's a number of things to factor, maximum current draw of each pin on the MCU, total maximum draw of the MCU, current characteristics of the LED and how bright you want them to be. 1k is pretty safe.

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #15308 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 06:05:52 »
What have I done to my GON?
So all I wanted to do to my Nerd60 was desolder the LED's
Pop the switch tops off and push my 2x3x4 LED's down under the switch top and solder them in place down there.

First I did the whole middle row, checked after and no problems everything worked, then did the bottom 2 rows, plugged it in and now the following switches no longer register.

Certainly looks like some sort of pattern. Any ideas on what I have broken?

Note: I have no switches assigned to ~ and the left winkey on base layer

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #15309 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 07:01:35 »
Pop the switch tops off and push my 2x3x4 LED's down under the switch top and solder them in place down there.

First I did the whole middle row, checked after and no problems everything worked, then did the bottom 2 rows, plugged it in and now the following switches no longer register.
Show Image

What type of diodes are used on the board?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15310 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 07:10:06 »

I've never heard of putting the leds under the switch top, is that a thing now? :confused:

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #15311 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 07:14:59 »

Show Image

What type of diodes are used on the board?

Umm. Hmm I'm total noob with diodes and resistors and all that stuff. I just got the board presoldered.
I guess the diodes are SMD? Or was it something else you needed to know?
I can just take a pic of the pcb if you want.

@spamray. Yeah I had not read about it until not long ago. I wish I knew it from the start and did it like that to begin with.
Put them inside under the switchtop if you have ckear switches and the glow is dispersed better. Also no desoldering to remove switch tops and no hassles with keycap clearance at all.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #15312 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 07:41:48 »
A photograph of the PCB as well as where you read about the "true" in-switch LEDs would help. I'd also suggest making a new thread, as this doesn't seem like such a simple question, where you'll get a straightforward answer.

Offline Fullcream

« Reply #15313 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 07:53:11 »
Yeah I guess you're right it isn't really a simple question at all.
I'll make a thread soon. Thanks for your help though.

Offline zephyr11

« Reply #15314 on: Thu, 23 June 2016, 21:57:31 »
I have a noob question.

is there a TKL hotswappable mx compatible keyboard, that is either black or silver plastic or aluminum framed?

best if it is also barebones, no keycaps or switches.

thanks!

Offline Aristo

« Reply #15315 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 01:05:09 »
Hi folks!

I need some help identifying a Model M, and this seemed like the perfect place to ask! Here's the keyboard in question:

Now, it was advertised as a 42H1292, but I thought that model had the logo in the top left in an oval. Wikipedia says that the only model with a logo under the lock lights is the 1393669, and that has a Yugoslav layout. So I'm pretty puzzled as to what this keyboard really is. It's definitely PS/2 and the date of manufacture was listed at 02-08-01.
Any help would be appreciated!

Offline Krustyboomer

« Reply #15316 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 14:58:42 »
Are there color limits to dyesub caps?  Do most only do black dyesub?  I was trying to get some red dyseub on black caps, but no go.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15317 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 15:05:52 »
Are there color limits to dyesub caps?  Do most only do black dyesub?  I was trying to get some red dyseub on black caps, but no go.

The base color has to be lighter than the color you're dye-subbing.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15318 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 15:09:29 »

I believe you can only dyesub darker colors on lighter caps, so I don't know if red would work on black caps.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Krustyboomer

« Reply #15319 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 17:55:59 »
So every black cap with white lettering is roll printed?  Assuming not double shot or laser/infilled?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #15320 on: Fri, 24 June 2016, 22:45:18 »
So every black cap with white lettering is roll printed?  Assuming not double shot or laser/infilled?

Depends a long on cap material,  for example for white legends in black caps for pbt,  due sub will not work unless all but the legend is due sub, and I don't know if anyone doing that, or it could be infill, pad printed, or in the case of Vortex a POM double shot legend.  For ABS due sub does not work to my knowledge do to the chemistry of the due not penetrating the plastic but double shot is much easier.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15321 on: Sat, 25 June 2016, 21:48:21 »
Hi folks!

I need some help identifying a Model M, and this seemed like the perfect place to ask! Here's the keyboard in question:

Show Image

Now, it was advertised as a 42H1292, but I thought that model had the logo in the top left in an oval. Wikipedia says that the only model with a logo under the lock lights is the 1393669, and that has a Yugoslav layout. So I'm pretty puzzled as to what this keyboard really is. It's definitely PS/2 and the date of manufacture was listed at 02-08-01.
Any help would be appreciated!

Easiest way to ID it is to see the label on the black. Looks like a normal ANSI layout too.

I have a noob question.

is there a TKL hotswappable mx compatible keyboard, that is either black or silver plastic or aluminum framed?

best if it is also barebones, no keycaps or switches.

thanks!

No

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #15322 on: Mon, 27 June 2016, 11:13:58 »
Has anyone here reviewed the b.87 replica?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #15323 on: Tue, 28 June 2016, 19:49:24 »
Is there an aluminum (bottom) case for the Red Scarf 84 keyboard?

Thanks.
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15324 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 09:47:37 »
Is there an aluminum (bottom) case for the Red Scarf 84 keyboard?

Thanks.

Not that I'm aware of but I wouldn't be surprised if something popped up on TaoBao for it.

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15325 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 17:31:48 »
Does anyone know the SP color codes used in the OTD Wyse DSA keyset?

Offline STR8_AN94BALLER

« Reply #15326 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 18:55:20 »
My keyboard LEFT ALT stop working a few mins ago, had to clean the inside of the switch (press down, compressed air bottle with straw) to get it working again.

Normal or?

Greetech Black, Bloody B540, 3+ years of use.
Rig | 5820K - 16G 2400 - AMP GTX1080 - 850EVO 1TB - EVGA 750G2 - W7U
P870DM3 GTX1080 SLi - Pending

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15327 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 20:30:56 »
My keyboard LEFT ALT stop working a few mins ago, had to clean the inside of the switch (press down, compressed air bottle with straw) to get it working again.

Normal or?

Greetech Black, Bloody B540, 3+ years of use.
Pretty normal yes

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #15328 on: Wed, 29 June 2016, 20:33:47 »
I find that Iso alcohol works wonders too. Just need to work the hell out of those switches to make sure the fluid doesn't stay there for too long.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline rand77

« Reply #15329 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 09:15:44 »
Just finished putting SIP sockets into 68 switches for a Whitefox 68% build.  I have my board ready to solder with 62g zealios / 78g spacebar.

I didn't snap each switch into the plate, rather they appear to be "PCB mounted" as shown in the pictures below. This was done as it was *extremely* difficult to line up the SIP sockets with the holes in the PCB if the switches were snapped into the plate.

Is this how its supposed to be done? Or is there supposed to be a larger gap between the PCB and plate? Just wanted to get feedback from some more experienced people before actually soldering them in.

Offline dante

« Reply #15330 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 10:20:15 »
Do Black Alps switches contain the stiffest spring you can (commonly) find for Alps?

Offline emdude

« Reply #15331 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 11:07:52 »
I believe so, can't say for certain whether it is just the spring or a combination of the spring and the tactile leaf though; I think it is the latter.  Have a look at this force graph of common Alps switches:

I think SKCM Ambers or Browns may be heavier yet.  Those are much rarer though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2016, 11:19:00 by emdude »
Current drivers: IBM Model M SSK

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #15332 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 11:15:40 »
Just finished putting SIP sockets into 68 switches for a Whitefox 68% build.  I have my board ready to solder with 62g zealios / 78g spacebar.

I didn't snap each switch into the plate, rather they appear to be "PCB mounted" as shown in the pictures below. This was done as it was *extremely* difficult to line up the SIP sockets with the holes in the PCB if the switches were snapped into the plate.

Is this how its supposed to be done? Or is there supposed to be a larger gap between the PCB and plate? Just wanted to get feedback from some more experienced people before actually soldering them in.

To make it easier to align the sip sockets I advice you put an led into sip sockets before you put them on the PCB. Start by placing a switch on all four corners and snapping them into the plate and PCB. Sometimes the switches need a lot of pressure/force to make them go into the PCB due to the PCB-stabs on the switch. Dont be afraid to put force into it placing the switch just make sure you don't bend the pcb too muchh.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15333 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 11:43:57 »

Nothing looks like it's out of place as far as I can tell.

Offline MJ45

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #15334 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 12:45:25 »

The switches should be fully bottomed (snapped in) the plate. The way you have in now the plate isn't serving any purpose.
@CPTBadAss what are you looking at? 

Offline rand77

« Reply #15335 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 20:08:44 »
Thanks for the feedback guys.   I removed all switches and reinstalled them making sure they are flush with the plate.

I managed to get the SIP sockets to easily fit in the PCB holes by using an LED to keep them straight during insertion. 

Keyboard is built and works perfectly now!

The switches should be fully bottomed (snapped in) the plate. The way you have in now the plate isn't serving any purpose.

To make it easier to align the sip sockets I advice you put an led into sip sockets before you put them on the PCB. Start by placing a switch on all four corners and snapping them into the plate and PCB. Sometimes the switches need a lot of pressure/force to make them go into the PCB due to the PCB-stabs on the switch. Dont be afraid to put force into it placing the switch just make sure you don't bend the pcb too muchh.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15336 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 23:20:35 »

Got confused and just checked that gap between the plate and the pcb. You're right of course.

Offline jigg4

« Reply #15337 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 04:20:21 »
where to get lube for MX-Black Switches and Stickers in europe?
Would like to modify my switches, but cannot find a shop or reseller for the parts. Ordering from USA has really high shipping cost and lasts forever...

Offline Yuuki

« Reply #15338 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 12:29:59 »
Hello

1/ What's the default key shorcut for switching between kmac2 backlight mode ?
EDIT : I just found it, it was menu key and escape

2/ Did anyone have any success progamming a kmac 2 on windows 10 ? if yes, how ?

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 July 2016, 12:32:45 by Yuuki »

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15339 on: Sat, 02 July 2016, 15:06:55 »
Does anyone know the SP color codes used in the OTD Wyse DSA keyset?

Found the answer to my question in case anyone else has the same in the future.

According to the OTD group buy information here:

Colors are as follows: BBI, GSX, GTD, YY

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #15340 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 19:58:39 »
Are there any places I could order a universal 60 plate from besides GON's?  :)

Im in need for one on a build im doing for my gf, and only got hhkb ones on LeandreN R4.
(Already shot him a pm to check if theres leftovers)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15341 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 20:56:50 »
Hello

2/ Did anyone have any success progamming a kmac 2 on windows 10 ? if yes, how ?

Thanks in advance

2) https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51252.0

Im in need for one on a build im doing for my gf, and only got hhkb ones on LeandreN R4.

I'm not super familiar with all the vendors on r/mk but there's no one there that has it in stock? I figured one vendor would. What you listed would be my go-to options.

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #15342 on: Mon, 04 July 2016, 21:03:29 »

Hello

Thanks in advance

2) https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51252.0

I'm not super familiar with all the vendors on r/mk but there's no one there that has it in stock? I figured one vendor would. What you listed would be my go-to options.

Thx CPT

Never really checked out r/mk much tbh..
Have seen some of the rather toxic community over there and much prefer it here on GH.

I shot LeandreN a pm asking for leftovers.
GON's plate looks great, gotta check how much shipping would add...

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #15343 on: Tue, 05 July 2016, 01:47:53 »

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #15344 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 03:03:32 »
Anyone if you can buy switch top removal tools in Europe (like these: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1363)? I would buy em off mk.com, but the shipping is ridiculous...
pls gief bbv2

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15345 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 07:43:49 »
Anyone if you can buy switch top removal tools in Europe (like these: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1363)? I would buy em off mk.com, but the shipping is ridiculous...
I think they can probably ship cheaper if you contact them and ask.

If they can't I'm sure I could proxy some for you.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15346 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 11:19:37 »
Is there an easy way to setup Space FN on a GON Nerd60?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15347 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 11:22:54 »

The Nerd programming tool seems pretty easy. Looks like EasyAVR.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15348 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 11:27:13 »

Don't think you can SpaceFN on the default firmware you'll have to do the irreversible process of converting it to TMK.
I love Elzy

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15349 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 11:31:29 »

Don't think you can SpaceFN on the default firmware you'll have to do the irreversible process of converting it to TMK.

The NerdGUI is extremely easy to use; however, it does not have any resource to setup a key with a combination of FN plus other function with a delay in between to allow Space FN actuation key. I wonder what I may gain converting a Nerd into TMK and what I would lost.