Author Topic: Industrial Model M...part #1378225?  (Read 3509 times)

Offline BiNiaRiS

Industrial Model M...part #1378225?
« on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 12:13:38 »
I just picked one of these up. It is a blue label, but I couldn't find any info on it anywhere.

Made in 1995 by lexmark, and ID Number 493

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110711768438#ht_550wt_1139
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 July 2011, 14:17:18 by BiNiaRiS »
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 13:20:55 »
This post needs pics!

Offline redpill

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 13:49:24 »
Is it the one with the sort of gray/olive case?  Like this?

good info here: http://www.clickeykeyboards.com/model-m-buyers-guide/

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 14:16:17 »
updated the original post with the ebay listing. hopefully i didn't get hosed on this.

it does look to be in great condition. I just didn't notice that the seller said the case was brand new...yet he said the internals are from 95 which is on the case.

i've already paid, but I emailed him to ask.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline 7bit

• MX1A-G1DW
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 14:19:47 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;375516
updated the original post with the ebay listing. hopefully i didn't get hosed on this.

it does look to be in great condition. I just didn't notice that the seller said the case was brand new...yet he said the internals are from 95 which is on the case.

i've already paid, but I emailed him to ask.

LOL! You got a retrofitted one. case from Unicomp + old Lexmark innards.

The case is a brand new, never used grey IBM Model M case. The internals are from a mint condition IBM model M (Manufacture date 5/25/95). This is a buckling spring keyboard.
Buy key caps here: Round 5
Buy switches here: CherryMX

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 14:28:29 »
Quote from: 7bit;375518

Christ...yeah, I just realized that the ****ty last picture he took wasn't from the other keyboard.

gonna email him.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 July 2011, 14:34:10 by BiNiaRiS »

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 14:35:02 »
Quote from: 7bit;375518

Quote from: BiNiaRiS;375525
Christ...yeah, I just realized that the ****ty last picture he took wasn't from the other keyboard.

gonna email him.

Not sure I understand what the problem is.  Did you pay more than you now think it's worth?  Looking at the ad seems like he was up front with what he was selling, unless of course he changed the text after the auction, not sure if that's possible but certainly wouldn't be right if he did.  Or if the pictures aren't of the actual product as claimed.  You seem to think the pictures aren't correct although I'm honestly not following why.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 14:39:45 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;375530
Not sure I understand what the problem is.  Did you pay more than you now think it's worth?  Looking at the ad seems like he was up front with what he was selling, unless of course he changed the text after the auction, not sure if that's possible but certainly wouldn't be right if he did.  Or if the pictures aren't of the actual product as claimed.  You seem to think the pictures aren't correct although I'm honestly not following why.

I obviously paid more than it is worth. A $20 Unicomp case and the innards from an OK Model M for $115 shipped seems high to me.

I would have rather have grabbed a brand new Unicomp and saved myself the hassle. It was the last image that threw me off. He said "the pictures are the actual pictures of the keyboard and case." And he had a picture of the old case w/sticker that would not be included. Due to the lighting, the last pic looked dark grey to me and i thought it was what would be attached to the keyboard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 July 2011, 14:43:05 by BiNiaRiS »

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline theferenc

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 14:43:25 »
He is a bit of a liar. Doing a bolt mod for $50 extra bucks, because the parts are "not inexpensive"? It's about $4 in parts, tops. I know, I do a lot of them. It does take a couple of hours, that part is true, at least.

BiNiaRiS, if you want it bolt modded, and don't want to do it yourself, let me know. We might be able to work something out.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 14:46:45 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;375534
I obviously paid more than it is worth. A $20 Unicomp case and the innards from an OK Model M for $115 shipped seems high to me.

I would have rather have grabbed a brand new Unicomp and saved myself the hassle. It was the last image that threw me off. He said "the pictures are the actual pictures of the keyboard and case." And he had a picture of the old case w/sticker that would not be included. Due to the lighting, the last pic looked dark grey to me and i thought it was what would be attached to the keyboard.
I see, I quite likely would have made the same mistake without thinking about it for a while as the seller states "the pictures are the actual pictures of the keyboard and case" which I would assume applied to all pictures but obviously that doesn't add up when you look over the rest of the pictures does it?  Doesn't say all pictures except the label does it?  So if you would like to back out seems like you'd have at least some supporting case for it based on that.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 14:49:42 »
Yeah, given that "all pictures..." line, you could easily make the argument that it is an inaccurate listing. If you wanted to.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 14:58:12 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;375541
I see, I quite likely would have made the same mistake without thinking about it for a while as the seller states "the pictures are the actual pictures of the keyboard and case" which I would assume applied to all pictures but obviously that doesn't add up when you look over the rest of the pictures does it?  Doesn't say all pictures except the label does it?  So if you would like to back out seems like you'd have at least some supporting case for it based on that.

I'm 99% sure this has shipped already. I'll see what he is willing to do though. This was going to be my first M and in the end, if he gives me a discount or something maybe it will work out. I wanted to grab black/blank keys from Unicomp.

He just got back to me and said that if I unhappy that I can return it and he will refund me the original price + original shipping.

He also said "I intentionally do not mention industrial anywhere in the item description becuase I do not want anyone to think that this is an original IBM Industrial Model M (even thought for all intents and purposes, it is since it has the same case and pretty much the same internals)." I never brought Industrial up or mentioned Industrial to him. He seems to assume that I mistook it for one. Not mentioning it and saying "this is not an industrial are very different."

I guess I'm just the kind of person who would have been very up front about this kind of thing. I would have  made it very explicit that the case was from Unicomp and it was not an Industrial.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 14:59:44 »
Quote from: theferenc;375539
He is a bit of a liar. Doing a bolt mod for $50 extra bucks, because the parts are "not inexpensive"? It's about $4 in parts, tops. I know, I do a lot of them. It does take a couple of hours, that part is true, at least.

BiNiaRiS, if you want it bolt modded, and don't want to do it yourself, let me know. We might be able to work something out.
I noticed that 'the parts are "not inexpensive"' as well.  I would have expected the labor to be the issue driving cost if anything you say.  Perhaps he lives someplace rural where parts are harder to come by and cost more.  He is listed in Wappingers Falls, New York.  I confess that I really don't know where that is but it is New York and there is always mail order.  Seems a stretch doesn't it?

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 15:06:08 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;375553
I noticed that 'the parts are "not inexpensive"' as well.  I would have expected the labor to be the issue driving cost if anything you say.  Perhaps he lives someplace rural where parts are harder to come by and cost more.  He is listed in Wappingers Falls, New York.  I confess that I really don't know where that is but it is New York and there is always mail order.  Seems a stretch doesn't it?

He's not too out there. 45min from a city of 100,000 people. I for sure passed on the bolt mod. I had plans of doing it myself down the line after I did some research.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline redpill

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 15:07:51 »
As ebay OOPS's go, this one is pretty mild at least!

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 15:08:48 »
I would kinda like the gray case either way, but maybe that's just me.  It is a bit of a Frankenstein and not the vintage industrial one might have hoped but if you can get some $ knocked off and it's in good shape as the ad indicates then maybe just call it good.  You'll have to decide for yourself.  I had a similar deal where I basically wasn't happy with the condition as it was really nasty dirty filthy but I would have been on the hook for return shipping and I was offered a small $ off.  So I took the discount and bought extra cleaning supplies and "did the nasty".

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 15:10:13 »
Quote from: redpill;375560
Yup, I've done worse, that I've tried hard to forget so won't bring up here, hah!

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 15:10:59 »

Haha yeah...it could be worse, like is this had been an Industrial rubber dome. I woulda killed something if i did that, haha.

I'll give some thought to returning it. If I do he's gonna eat $15 shipping. If he just refunded me $15 i'd be at $100 shipped which seems a bit better.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline TexasFlood

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 15:12:10 »
I would kinda like the gray case either way, but maybe that's just me.  It is a bit of a Frankenstein and not the vintage industrial one might have hoped but if you can get some $ knocked off and it's in good shape as the ad indicates then maybe just call it good.  You'll have to decide for yourself.  I had a similar deal where I basically wasn't happy with the condition as it was really nasty dirty filthy but I would have been on the hook for return shipping and I was offered a small $ off.  So I took the discount and bought extra cleaning supplies and "did the nasty".

Yup, I've done worse, that I've tried hard to forget so won't bring up here, hah!