Author Topic: Datamancer on Massdrop. Opinions?  (Read 2556 times)

Offline gameaholic

Datamancer on Massdrop. Opinions?
« on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 23:52:39 »
Looks tempting.  Has anyone here actually typed on them?  I would kinda want something that slides to the right that I would have to push to the left after every line to go with it.

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 December 2014, 23:54:27 by gameaholic »
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Datamancer on Massdrop. Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 04:19:28 »
I see these working nicely on a "frameless" 60% board, like a GON NerD60 or Sprit board. I actually have a project idea that these would be great for... maybe I'll order a set.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline geogga

• gosh dang GH and their GBs
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 07:24:07 »
Personally I thought it was a waste of a drop. Again, this is my opinion.

I think this because well, I understand that it looks nice and it really does, but it's like a view not touch kinda experience, something to collect and put for display rather than for conventional use.
You can use it, but i feel like it looks better than to type on it.
The caps also reveal a ton of the naked keyboard and exposes a good amount of stuff that may be displeasing.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 07:31:16 »
Yeah it's like a great initial idea that when thought through maybe isn't all that cool and definitely not functional.

I mean, people use mechs for the ergonomics but these take ergonomics backwards in the wrong direction for sure.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 08:41:03 »
I could just see myself miss-typing so often on those caps
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 09:52:57 »
Honestly, it looks stupid. Those keys looks so out of place on the modern board.

The novelty of the datamancer keys was on the original steampunk design keyboards, so unless you plan on making such a board or have one, then it might be wise, in all other cases it's just wrong. I hate to say this and I might sound like an ass, however if datamancer was alive, he would not approve this.

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 10:06:14 »
Looks kinda janky TBH. the idea might be workable, but just looking at the pictures they provide it seems like the legends in the cap housing are often not centered properly or are tilted in many of the keys

it ends up looking junky. and even if it was straight it would probably look bad on most keyboards.

maybe on a low profile metal case TKL or 60% it would be okay.

Offline Data

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 10:16:11 »
Those caps would look a lot better on a caseless/low profile board with a nice metallic plate.  They look bad on a standard profile top case, especially in front of that dull plate.  I wonder how they would look on the Varmilo board MD just completed a drop for.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 10:20:03 »
I think the pictures they took to showcase what you could do with these do no justice to the product at all - they don't look good that CODE. I really like the caps, and in certain applications these look great - Datamancer's own site proves that. For a more "off the shelf" idea, a 60% with a low profile black aluminum case could look really good. People could even buy the caps with the intention of doing a more elaborate project to make it a showpiece - kind of like a DIY Datamancer.

MassDrop did not do a good job at marketing this one. That is somewhat surprising since they have access to a lot of components that could have made this look really good. Or if nothing else, they should be showing the potential. I've long wanted a set of these caps, but I can't drop the $$ on them right now. To close to the holidays!
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 14:23:53 »
There are no stabilizers...

The legends are straight on 80% of the keys.

Offline pasph

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 19:09:43 »
I love so much the art of Datamancer but that is just an horrible hybrid
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 20:11:15 »
I wonder how these would look on a JD40?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich