Author Topic: [IC] Another Universal TKL plate / PCB GB  (Read 41138 times)

Offline Vintage

Re: [IC] Another Universal TKL plate / PCB GB
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 18:43:58 »
Yeah $50 is expensive for sure... but I do admit powder coat is quite nice. And if a SS plate was like $35 (I think the WFD GB was around there) it would not be THAT much more if you subtract the cost of the spray paint. But maybe I am just grasping at straws :p

Maybe a unique finish like "wrinkle" would help differentiate the coating more from a regular paint job....
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 18:53:49 »
I actually still like the idea of anodized aluminum. I would definitely be in for a couple of those.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 19:56:19 »
I actually still like the idea of anodized aluminum. I would definitely be in for a couple of those.

Anodized aluminum is really nice, and as plain as it is, I really like the black. having now experienced an R1 anodized aluminum plate i really like it.

Offline Vintage

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 20:42:56 »
I like anodized as well but I hope we would have options for more colors. I saw an LZ plate in cyan-ish an I though it looked really good.

I guess anodize might be the best option. Probably way cheaper than powder coat.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 September 2013, 20:47:56 by Vintage »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 20:47:54 »
I like anodized as well but I hope we would have options for more colors. I saw an LZ plate in cyan-ish an I though it looked really good.

The only problem with doing colors like blue, etc. is that they don't look good with certain cases and/or keycaps. Colors like grey and black match pretty well with anything.

If we offered more than one color, each color would have a cost per rack.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Vintage

« Reply #155 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 20:52:41 »
Yeah true... but I even think a dark grey would be better than black.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #156 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 21:00:08 »
I agree. I'd rather do Ano Alum. If we offered a select number of colors (Graphite, Cyan, Gold, Maroon and Forest Green) then they would all be select, nearly unique colors never seen before, and I'm certain we'd find enough to fill a rack with each color (though honestly, with each rack costing 30 bucks, I'd be happy to take a rack by myself if it gets me my dream color)

It's only like 15 plates to a rack, right?
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline Vintage

« Reply #157 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 21:07:01 »
I thought Beast said 30. Not sure if that many people would be interested in a color like that... but might as well try :) Maybe a vote to see what colors were most popular would be smart.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 21:12:29 »
How much was it per rack? I thought it was $30 per rack, and if that's the case, shipping is the most expensive part of getting these anodized. If we get 30 cyans, awesome, but if we only get 5, that's a difference of each person paying 1 dollar, and each person paying 6 dollars. I'd still put up 6 bucks to get my ano.

In fact! I will go as far as to say, if it is 30 dollars, I will buy ano for the rack. I will pay 30 dollars to get MY board ano, and anyone else that wants to jump on my rack with me gets a free Cyan ano on their Aluminum board.

Bam, MOQ met. Let's do this.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 21:18:38 »
How much was it per rack? I thought it was $30 per rack, and if that's the case, shipping is the most expensive part of getting these anodized. If we get 30 cyans, awesome, but if we only get 5, that's a difference of each person paying 1 dollar, and each person paying 6 dollars. I'd still put up 6 bucks to get my ano.

In fact! I will go as far as to say, if it is 30 dollars, I will buy ano for the rack. I will pay 30 dollars to get MY board ano, and anyone else that wants to jump on my rack with me gets a free Cyan ano on their Aluminum board.

What plate design were you wanting, Calm? Just the Universal TKL, which is ANSI 125 only? If you're willing to pay for the rack, maybe we can be the test case for some plates from The_Beast. I would get a test plate or two in cyan, and pay the shipping to and from the anodizer.

in memoriam

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 21:35:55 »

What plate design were you wanting, Calm? Just the Universal TKL, which is ANSI 125 only? If you're willing to pay for the rack, maybe we can be the test case for some plates from The_Beast. I would get a test plate or two in cyan, and pay the shipping to and from the anodizer.

Honestly, I'm not picky. I've got a uTKL plate on the way to use with my QFR, and a Phantom plate on the way. So I'm up for a phantom plate, or uTKL ANSI.

Doesn't matter. I'll go with whatever.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 21:46:50 »

Honestly, I'm not picky. I've got a uTKL plate on the way to use with my QFR, and a Phantom plate on the way. So I'm up for a phantom plate, or uTKL ANSI.

Doesn't matter. I'll go with whatever.

Do you like the 86-key layout with 1.50 mods on the bottom row? Care for an HHKB-style alphanumeric section? If you could use any layout that the PCB supported, which would be your ideal?

in memoriam

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 22:35:48 »
HHKB style would be nice. Or ANSI winkeyless.

Offline Vintage

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 23:00:42 »

xD Hell yeah!

BTW, what are you guys using for a Phantom case? Was thinking of picking one up but undecided because of the limited case options for TKL boards :/ Gonna get either that or mod a QFR (cheaper option).
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 September 2013, 23:03:32 by Vintage »

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 23:03:54 »

xD Hell yeah!

BTW, what are you guys using for a Phantom case? Was thinking of picking one up but undecided because of the limited case options for TKL boards :/ Gonna get either that of mod a QFR (cheaper option).
One guy who's building a phantom linked to this. Others seem to just use Filco cases or other TKL cases.
Keyboards Owned:

Realforce Topre 91 Key JIS Profile - Main
CM Quickfire Rapid Blue Switches
IBM Model M in Industrial Shell

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #165 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 23:04:06 »
I'm hoping to pick up one of Takaki's acrylic cases in his round 2, assuming there is one, assuming round 1 goes well.

In the mean time, I've got one of Feng's cases.

Offline Vintage

« Reply #166 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 23:09:20 »
Hmmm.. thanks.

Will ponder whether that's worth the extra cost. Kinda feel like if I wanna go all out custom keyboard I would want a tricked out case to go with it. :)

Anyway, this GB is getting exciting. Cyan ano looks sooo good!

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 23:29:37 »
I'm thinking of using WFDs universal plate but modding it to allow ANSI125 and ANSI150 cutouts for the bottom. That should work with a ANSI125, ANSI150 phantom as well as a QFR or Filco board right?

You mean make the switch holes universal on the bottom row like the universal gh60 plate? I like that idea.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
    • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 23:49:41 »
I'm thinking of using WFDs universal plate but modding it to allow ANSI125 and ANSI150 cutouts for the bottom. That should work with a ANSI125, ANSI150 phantom as well as a QFR or Filco board right?

You mean make the switch holes universal on the bottom row like the universal gh60 plate? I like that idea.

yes please

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 05 September 2013, 23:52:00 »
Once the case design on my open source TKL is complete, I might hold a GB.

I'm mostly done, if you want to get it done ASAP, help me complete it :)

Offline Moosecraft

• HHKB Pro
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 02:26:14 »
ANSI winkeyless with anodized plate, I'm down for atleast one :)
I am bigfatmc over at other places!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 06:24:55 »

The problem with doing that for the Phantom is that there are no holes in the PCB for mounting stabilizers. That leaves us using plate mount stabilizers only, which eliminates the possibility of using a "Universal" style plate with slots for the switch holes where the stabilizer cutouts would normally be.

in memoriam

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #172 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 12:23:07 »
Damn you guys are all flippy floppy!

So is this for phantom plates or uTKLs plate? SS or aluminum?

I guess I'll start another thread with a poll to get things cleared up

Also, these are the only colors I have available:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39787.msg821179#msg821179
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline argyakrivos

« Reply #173 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 12:31:43 »
Damn you guys are all flippy floppy!

Show Image

So is this for phantom plates or uTKLs plate? SS or aluminum?

I guess I'll start another thread with a poll to get things cleared up

Also, these are the only colors I have available:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39787.msg821179#msg821179

I'm guessing a universal TKL plate (e.g. ANSI) will work with phantom as well.

I personally want it for my phantom  ^-^

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #174 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 12:42:25 »

The problem with doing that for the Phantom is that there are no holes in the PCB for mounting stabilizers. That leaves us using plate mount stabilizers only, which eliminates the possibility of using a "Universal" style plate with slots for the switch holes where the stabilizer cutouts would normally be.

I did a quick drawing and see what you mean now. We could have a uTKL 125/150, but it wouldn't work with the Phantom since you can't PCB mount stabilizers on it.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Vintage

« Reply #175 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 13:01:16 »
aww no Cyan alu :(

I guess dark grey and blue look pretty good though... hmmm even the purple.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 16:32:52 »
Okay, so do we have to decide on a single layout then? Or will your machinist MOQ for a few varying cuts?

And those are absolutely the only colors your machinist can do, or just what they advertised? I love the blue but it's a little darker than I was hoping. Some variation on blue would have a place in my heart eternally. Cyan, Teal, anything that isn't Crayola Blue.

Either way, I'm still up for covering the prototype rack, in blue. So anyone that wants to jump on that rack with me, speak up.

From the sample chips, it looks like a very clean even anodizing, so I have no reason to doubt it'll come out nicely.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 16:39:23 »
Well, I think esoomenona wants one of these, but I'm not sure he wants blue:

I want the same plate, but with a standard F-row. I will redesign the drawing for what I want in the next few days.

in memoriam

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 16:55:53 »
I can't decide if I want the 5 above the arrow cluster open like that. Great if I want add in a function layer numpad, or even take out the nav cluster and introduce a base layer numpad AND arrow cluster. IDEAS

but if I get a plate which allows for that option, it'll limit the cases I can get. I don't think it looks good to have a translucent/parent acrylic case top and have the PCB revealed there.

Maybe I need to get two plates until I decide.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #179 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 16:58:52 »
I can't decide if I want the 5 above the arrow cluster open like that. Great if I want add in a function layer numpad, or even take out the nav cluster and introduce a base layer numpad AND arrow cluster. IDEAS

but if I get a plate which allows for that option, it'll limit the cases I can get. I don't think it looks good to have a translucent/parent acrylic case top and have the PCB revealed there.

Maybe I need to get two plates until I decide.

Okay, well I can design yours with the 5 holes omitted. I think I'm going to make mine with the bottom corners omitted, like this:

in memoriam

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 17:13:07 »
Something about it is not calling my name.

I think I'd like it better if the omitted corners were the same size. It looks very off balanced there.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #181 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 17:25:22 »

I think I'd like it better if the omitted corners were the same size. It looks very off balanced there.

Well, that plate is a bit different in that it uses a 6-unit spacebar, the same as the HHKB does. But I won't make another one like that. I prefer the symmetry of using the 7-unit space, even if it's not 100% true to the HHKB.

in memoriam

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #182 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 17:28:53 »
im wondering if a new universal plate run could have a separate plate for the arrow cluster so that you can have a mini plate for phantom users who want a 92-key and a different mini plate for filco/qfr users. i bet you could also make a universal caps lock and right shift as well.......

edit and when i say mini plate i mean the entire 3 columns of keys on the right side of the filco/phantom/qfr
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 September 2013, 17:34:53 by Glod »

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #183 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 17:43:44 »

Well, that plate is a bit different in that it uses a 6-unit spacebar, the same as the HHKB does. But I won't make another one like that. I prefer the symmetry of using the 7-unit space, even if it's not 100% true to the HHKB.

Oh, so with a 7u spacebar, it would be symmetrical? I'm all about that business.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #184 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:07:39 »
Okay, we could do a run of any or all of these. I will get the files to The_Beast.

HHK150
HHK150mod
JDC150

in memoriam

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #185 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:09:42 »
Umph. That last one is sexy for sure.

Now I need a case to match.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #186 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:10:33 »
Are these going to have the notches for switch modding?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #187 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:14:10 »

They are there, it's just subtle. They are a newer design without the little tabs in the middle. You can see if you zoom in that the switch holes aren't just squares.

in memoriam

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #188 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:15:14 »
I second what Calmb4tehPwn said. The last one looks nice to me as well.
Keyboards Owned:

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #189 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:20:50 »
im wondering if a new universal plate run could have a separate plate for the arrow cluster so that you can have a mini plate for phantom users who want a 92-key and a different mini plate for filco/qfr users. i bet you could also make a universal caps lock and right shift as well.......

edit and when i say mini plate i mean the entire 3 columns of keys on the right side of the filco/phantom/qfr

The problem with splitting off the right 3 columns is that the screw hole to attach the plate to the bottom of the Filco housing is right in the middle of where the cut would be. :(

in memoriam

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #190 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:24:33 »

The problem with splitting off the right 3 columns is that the screw hole to attach the plate to the bottom of the Filco housing is right in the middle of where the cut would be. :(

hmm what about just cutting off the last 3 rows of the 3 columns (arrow cluster) or would that be costly or unstable)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #191 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:25:04 »

hmm what about just cutting off the last 3 rows of the 3 columns (arrow cluster) or would that be costly or unstable)

I have an idea I will try. :)

in memoriam

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #192 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:26:07 »
so it's not a dumb idea?

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #193 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:26:39 »

They are there, it's just subtle. They are a newer design without the little tabs in the middle. You can see if you zoom in that the switch holes aren't just squares.

Hey, I've yet to take a switch apart, so I still don't wholly understand the mechanism involved, or what's required. So I trust you when you say I can take a switch apart with this board.

I'm ALL in.

Though I'm flip flopping on color choice here. I can't decide if I want to go blue, green (that green is gorgeous) or brown.

Offline dragonxx21

« Reply #194 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:34:35 »
Any idea how much the plates will cost you each, or have you not gotten to that step yet?
Keyboards Owned:

Offline Vintage

« Reply #195 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 20:49:35 »
Im down for a uTKL in blue for sure if others are interested. Also interested if there is any possibility of a cyan color.

Offline argyakrivos

« Reply #196 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 21:09:02 »
I'm interested in black or grey or white (if there is such an option - would be cool!)

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #197 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 21:12:23 »
Okay, we could do a run of any or all of these. I will get the files to The_Beast.

HHK150
HHK150mod
JDC150

Show Image

So there won't be 1.25 mod?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #198 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 21:18:08 »

HHK150
HHK150mod
JDC150

Show Image

So there won't be 1.25 mod?

When The_Beast runs the TKL plate GB, I'm sure there will be all kinds of options. I'm just playing with some oddball designs for a test run at the anodizing. :)

in memoriam

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #199 on: Fri, 06 September 2013, 21:37:26 »
I'm interested in black or grey or white (if there is such an option - would be cool!)

White anodizing is not an option, in any form of anodization.
Unfortunately, it requires dye to be sort of injected into the aluminum, and the molecules that make up white die are too large to be injected. Can't happen.
Sorry.