Author Topic: [IC] GEECKERS TOOLING INVESTMENTS  (Read 30361 times)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: GEECKERS TOOLING INVESTMENTS
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:35:54 »
PS: I think you're right and you can powdercoat anything that conducts electricity. But I'm sure mkawa would've looked into this and can let us know.
yah, and it's extremely reasonable to play devil's advocate here. we want to start with investing into technologies that we will use the crap out of, not things we kind of sort of want.

what is a powder setup good for? coloring metal, coloring metal plated plastic. that's it. that's all it can be used for. the object you paint has to be 1) conductive 2) withstand 350F or so without warping for about 10-20 minutes. most plastics don't fit this bill. IF we stick with plastics for most things, then this isn't going to help us.

Wow. Such new.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:37:50 »
So powdercoating seems like a better option than anodizing, even if the powdercoat film has a thicker layer, it's more versatile.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:38:41 »
More versatile =/= better.

More people use aluminum here than any other metal. Anodizing is more popular, thus would likely be used more.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:43:14 »
And if the trend turns from aluminum to acrylic/plastic, then what do we do with the ano kit?

I prefer metal and aluminum cases too but if tastes change then we invested in something that won't be used and is wasted. Maybe anodization is too short term? I'm just spitting ideas out.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:44:24 »
Acrylic and plastic aren't electrically conductive or can withstand high temps?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:48:01 »
And if the trend turns from aluminum to acrylic/plastic, then what do we do with the ano kit?

I prefer metal and aluminum cases too but if tastes change then we invested in something that won't be used and is wasted. Maybe anodization is too short term? I'm just spitting ideas out.

Koreans anodized everything, I'm sure an ano. kit would not be used.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:49:59 »
What about routing equipment for wood based cases? Nubbs' drop-in case looks awesome. If Koreans are all over the anodized aluminum, let's go do our own thing -- with our wood.

Also, flocking.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:53:12 »
Acrylic and plastic aren't electrically conductive or can withstand high temps?

Thought I read somewhere you could powdercoat fiberglass. But whatever, I was just playing devils advocate.

Koreans anodized everything, I'm sure an ano. kit would not be used.

And when Koreans do wood or plastic cases and the trend changes, then what? Do we jump ship and get wood working equipment? Again, I'm just playing devils advocate. I'd actually really like an anodization kit available to GH.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:54:55 »
What about routing equipment for wood based cases? Nubbs' drop-in case looks awesome. If Koreans are all over the anodized aluminum, let's go do our own thing -- with our wood.

Yeah, wood is the next best thing, and nubbinator is the leader in wooden technology. Let's put all the tools in his hands and he can turn out some cases on par with the best Korean aluminum cases (prices the same as well).

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 14:55:25 »
And when Koreans do wood or plastic cases and the trend changes, then what? Do we jump ship and get wood working equipment? Again, I'm just playing devils advocate. I'd actually really like an anodization kit available to GH.

I pre-emptively suggested this just one post ago!  :D And we have GHers who are already really, really experienced at handling wood.

Also, you can customize wooden items just by changing the kinds of wood, finishing, etc. -- how many kinds of aluminum, huh? One.
Bam, I'm a genius. LOL!
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:00:08 »
And we have GHers who are already really, really experienced at handling wood.

And by this, he means nubbinator. His experience with the wood handling is bar none.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:03:00 »
And we have GHers who are already really, really experienced at handling wood.

And by this, he means nubbinator. His experience with the wood handling is bar none.

And Beast. I supervise the flocking.

What would it cost to get some simple, second-hand wood lathes, for making keycap puller handles? What else would be needed to make an entire case? Would existing GH projects be able to be placed into wooden cases?
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 15:05:30 »
The_Beast has a 60% case for his GH60. Forget which rev it is. Think Rev A?

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 16:54:30 »
Anodizing equipment is quite dangerous corrosive substances, not only for the actual anodization but also for the cleaning beforehand which usually involves even stronger substances. Companies I have seen who do it tend to have entire areas dedicted for it so that they don't have to be much in contact with it, and it also brings the price down to make it in larger quantities. It will take some while before we get decent experience in clamping the best ways too. I think anodization would be quite a big undertaking.

What about membranes which are emerging in some projects? We can't start manufacturing them but surely there must be something we can do to help the process there?

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 17:06:17 »
PS: I think you're right and you can powdercoat anything that conducts electricity. But I'm sure mkawa would've looked into this and can let us know.
yah, and it's extremely reasonable to play devil's advocate here. we want to start with investing into technologies that we will use the crap out of, not things we kind of sort of want.

what is a powder setup good for? coloring metal, coloring metal plated plastic. that's it. that's all it can be used for. the object you paint has to be 1) conductive 2) withstand 350F or so without warping for about 10-20 minutes. most plastics don't fit this bill. IF we stick with plastics for most things, then this isn't going to help us.

Wow. Such new.

That's comical coming from you.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 30 September 2013, 20:42:26 »
anodizing equipment is out of the question. there isn't going to be a gigantic boiling tank of sulfuric acid in my apartment, period. besides, custom color anodizing is _IMPOSSIBLE_. booting an anodizing tub which is like 20 gallons of stainless steel full of sulfuric acid, putting enough dye in to penetrate a single case, hanging the case, then going away for a while, then coming back, cleaning out the ENTIRE TANK FULL OF BOILING SULFURIC ACID FOR ONE KEYBOARD is completely ridiculous. the fact that mimic actually did this (note that his price included a freaking round trip planet ticket) makes it even more hilarious, and impossible.

you can "anodize" polymers and other weird stuff but what really happens is that you etch the polymer in one stage (a boiling 20+ gallon tub of some kind of acidic etchant), charge and plate it with a friendly metal in the next (two choices: two alloys exist for this, one is chrome and the other has more zinc in it). THEN, you might be able to get a tiny bit of dye onto the plating but you're probably best giving up there. it's a technology that was developed in the 40s-ish i want to say? the edsyn guys have a company that does it for the silverstat, but they literally run one batch a year of like a thousand pieces and that's it. one-off anodizing is basically something that people just hang up on you when you mention because it's such a pain in the ass.

ironically, you can powdercoat those chromed polymers, because they conduct really well after the metallization process. most conductive polymers are a lot tougher to powder. that said, you can metallize them the old fashioned way, with the metallized rustoleum primer (although i imagine it's non-ferrous; there has to be one of those things that's conductive..). the thing with polymers though is that they just come in different colors. you're much much better off just making your polymer thing in the color you want.

anyway, for metal, powdercoating is the most flexible permanent-ish painting process and the only one other than large batch clear anodize or one color anodize that's within reach for us. the only thing more accessible is the exact same room temp wet acrylic paints that photoelectric uses for plastics, and just like plastics, you have to do a lot of really good prep-work (you still need the blasting cabinet for example) to get good results. imo, if you're going to go through that much trouble, you might as well powder it. you have a wider variety of texture, reflectivity, and color, for the most part.

anyway, the reason i was leaning toward coloring processes is that we love to be creative with color here. what's the difference between every keycap set? basically color schemes. there are shape and material differences, but the primary driver in differentiation is color. see: unicorn vomit, clicklack skulls, lz and hammer's alu cases, etc. that said, notice that people had to sit down and design the stuff to color in all cases. my goal is to serve the community, and i'd like that not to mean "let me try to guess what the community will use" , but a bit fat active conversation with everyone with arguments and keyboard baby mama drama (thank mrs hashbaz for that one by the way), all of it. let's go! what do you want? just because i smack you down with "no, that will cost 100,000$, doesn't mean you can't try again or shoot another toward the moon.

hell, shooting the moon is what this place is for. have you seen matt3o's qfr top cover project yet? if not, GO GO GO. SO AWESOME YES

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 07:41:20 »
cleaning out the ENTIRE TANK FULL OF BOILING SULFURIC ACID FOR ONE KEYBOARD is ... (snipped) ... what this place is for.

kawa it's your turn to clean out THE TANK FULL OF BOILING SULFURIC ACID, lol.

EDIT: Also, don't ask for gloves. Not in the budget. Use paper towels.

« Last Edit: Tue, 01 October 2013, 07:44:52 by Krogenar »
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #117 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 07:59:10 »
You know what would be really cool? A makerbot/3D printer dedicated to prototyping. Want to test out a keycap? Send it to that printer. Want to see how a case might work? Make a scaled model and send it to that printer. What if we use X thickness on an acrylic plate? Send it to the printer.

Kawa can work on his blue-sky, Geekhackers.org projects like the solder spool and the community can print things they want.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 08:01:54 »
You know what would be really cool? A makerbot/3D printer dedicated to prototyping. Want to test out a keycap? Send it to that printer. Want to see how a case might work? Make a scaled model and send it to that printer. What if we use X thickness on an acrylic plate? Send it to the printer.

Kawa can work on his blue-sky, Geekhackers.org projects like the solder spool and the community can print things they want.

AND it could have a realtime video feed so we could all watch it!!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #119 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 08:04:08 »
That would actually be awesome. I know kmiller8 once streamed his Makerbot in action, which was fun, and I often will go and watch the 3D printers here at work.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 08:15:08 »

AND it could have a realtime video feed so we could all watch it!!

Thaaaaat's a really awesome idea. Also, anyone consider buying a sewing machine? They're relatively cheap, last forever, do not require tanks of sulfuric acid, and you can make keyboard purses wallets for prototyping, before we send them off to be mass-produced in sweatshops.
More

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 08:29:14 »
actually my mother owns two sewing robots

we don't really have any textile wizards here though, and they cost about the same amount as a makerbot

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 08:32:50 »
Or what if we came up with something all new...

Like a new, keyboard specific piece of machinery...

Now that would be something that we could call our own.

TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #123 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 09:46:13 »
also, i'm totally not the person to operate a robotic sewing machine.

i think there are two things i'm comfortable doing:

1) buying another makerbot for redundancy and throughput. we should have some idea of what we want to produce regularly with this makerbot though. ergodox cases? alps to mx adapters? soldering tools (solder spools and iron holders?). solid CAD files are easy to produce. you can use blender and sketchup for the truly simple, autocad inventor student edition is free, and solidworks is reasonably priced IF you're a student. extruding solids just means cutting them up to print well on a small heated board. machining solids means blueprinting and huge setup fees.

2) a very serious compressor plus pressure pot setup. there is a pressure vessel manufacturer 'in my hood' so to speak. for about a grand, i could almost certainly have a pressure vessel made that could cast entire keyboard cases. i've also looked into compressor setups and again, for about a grand, i can get an extreme safe, reliable and quiet compressor and vacuum setup that will allow the molds and casting to be done in this vessel. that's a heck of a lot less than injection molding, and there's a much wider variety of thermosets available to play with.

that said, this money is mostly donation driven at the moment, and i want to get useful merch together and out the door for people to raise money as much or more than taking donations. my light tent is finally somewhat up (it needs to be elevated to fit my tripod, but that's basically it) and lastpilot and i are working closely together on the geekhackers.org site design. in the short term, my priority is definitely to get the website up and vending stuff for y'all before i make large tooling moves.

below: happy fun geekhackers light tent :D

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:15:28 »
Any plans on running something in the likes of the next thing after GH60 and/or something similar to the Korean keyboards projects but with a GH touch?

I think it would be a good way to raise money to get the tools as even if I see the tools being used, I don't see them being really a good investment if you consider only the money factor.

So making a custom keyboard project where you could make money for GH (does not have to be a super costly keyboard with alum case, could be one with a case made with your 3d printer for example) and then it could give you the funds to get some cool tools that are probably not be giving you much money back but will help the community.

Edit: Is your 3d printer able to use translucent abs? Translucent 3d printed keyboard OR translucent 3d molded keyboard with the pressure pot would probably give a lot of interest to this kind of custom  ;D
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:18:07 by JPG »
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:25:56 »
there's no translucent abs, only translucent PLA. at the moment i don't have PLA printing capability. there are definitely translucent thermosets that could be cast in a pressure pot. heck, there are completely clear thermosets that can be cast in a pressure pot.

i would like to keep stock of all the major stuffed PCBs we produce, actually. that said, i'm not going to be able to keep a large stock of machined cases unless there's a very serious cash infusion into the fund. even in quantity, machining is WAY more expensive than anything else we're looking at here. i have been working on producing the polymer solids that have been designed so far that aren't layered acrylic. really, the only thing that's preventing this from happening smooth is a) printer gremlins b) solids were not designed with my bounding box in mind.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:29:17 by mkawa »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:29:30 »
If you got another makerbot, I really like the idea of making soldering tools like a holder or spools as well as mx to alps adapters. We could also produce thin cards or a spudger....something that would work as a tool to pop open stock keyboard cases. Drop in trays for 60% boards too.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:32:47 »
If you got another makerbot, I really like the idea of making soldering tools like a holder or spools as well as mx to alps adapters. We could also produce thin cards or a spudger....something that would work as a tool to pop open stock keyboard cases. Drop in trays for 60% boards too.

The coolermaster tool to open their cases works very well and it's large enough to have a geekhack logo put on it :eek:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:34:48 »
The coolermaster tool to open their cases works very well and it's large enough to have a geekhack logo put on it :eek:

Link me to this tool? Can I just buy like 5 of them or something? I've been searching Home Depot for a tool that might work. Tried some plastic drywall joint knives or putty knives which work ok but are a bit thick.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:36:03 »

Link me to this tool? Can I just buy like 5 of them or something? I've been searching Home Depot for a tool that might work. Tried some plastic drywall joint knives or putty knives which work ok but are a bit thick.

It comes with the repalcement QFR tops, never seen it anywhere else, but never looked either.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:39:48 »

It comes with the repalcement QFR tops, never seen it anywhere else, but never looked either.

Yeah, that tool works great! And it's only $5, and comes with a free QFR replacement top cover! :P
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:41:08 »

Yeah, that tool works great! And it's only $5, and comes with a free QFR replacement top cover! :P
basically.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:42:31 »
As for 3d printed products, maybe so dust covers that would have all 4 sides compared to bent acrylic!

And with a GH logo on top for sure  :thumb:
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:45:14 »
Here is a pic of it from coolermaster's site

37416-0

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:48:09 »
That tool is awesome!  Came with my replacement Filco cover as well from Diatec.  It makes opening cases a breeze vs. laboring with a credit card for a while.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 10:48:46 »
I fully support any effort geekhackers makes to incorporate casting/molding machines/processes into practice.  With certainty I would provide any insight required to get such a practice into working order.

The idea of being able to create molds from 3D printed protos is even more exciting.  The combination of some makers and casting/molding would make for some neat creations.

I must also mention that casting is not limited to 3D printed protos.  Any positive can be cast as log as it can fit in the pressure chamber.  Porous materials must be sealed, but it is not uncommon for wood/ceramic/metal/plastic carved/milled protos have had molds made of the positive and cast reproductions producted.

This is so  :cool:
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 12:09:20 »
I would end up supporting and using whatever we go with!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 14:36:11 »
I fully support any effort geekhackers makes to incorporate casting/molding machines/processes into practice.  With certainty I would provide any insight required to get such a practice into working order.

The idea of being able to create molds from 3D printed protos is even more exciting.  The combination of some makers and casting/molding would make for some neat creations.

I must also mention that casting is not limited to 3D printed protos.  Any positive can be cast as log as it can fit in the pressure chamber.  Porous materials must be sealed, but it is not uncommon for wood/ceramic/metal/plastic carved/milled protos have had molds made of the positive and cast reproductions producted.

This is so  :cool:

For the first test, I suggest making a mold of a plastic Poker case. Cast them and mass produce! Market demand is already proven, plus, we need a cheap case option for the GH60. ;D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 17:40:49 »
ok, so i've done some poking around, and here's what i'm comfortable doing: buying more robots

i understand robots. they intuitively make sense to me. they're relevant to my interests. i can operate robots. they can be subtractive robots or additive robots, but if they're robots and they make stuff, i have confidence that i can learn to use them.

here's what i'm NOT comfortable doing:

playing with pressure and vacuum. i have very little knowledge of thermo, statics, non-newtonian mechanics and/or complicated newtonian mechanics. chemistry, etc. i am not a natural scientist. i like to learn, but the best way to learn is really to make a lot of mistakes, and i know what to do when a computational mistake happens, and i can mitigate damage in these sorts of circumstances, but serious stress/strain/pressure/temperature is not something i'm comfortable with.

now, given that, i think the most directed thing we can do from here is to sit down and come up with a long term goal. i'm going to introduce a new star called the maker star. that star will be given out as we see fit to people who make stuff. i don't care if someone else made something  that looks like it first. if you make something cool, you can request a maker star. i want the people with maker stars to help me come up with that long term goal, and then come up with milestones that will get us from where we are now to that goal.

capiche?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 17:43:15 »
capiche.

(give me that maker star too, capiche?) :))
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 17:44:55 »
can't have two stars! otherwise i'd give you all the stars man.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 17:45:32 »
can't have two stars! otherwise i'd give you all the stars man.
how about a book and a star? :-*
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 17:48:45 »
the secret of the book is that it's actually a star *ssshhhh*

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 01 October 2013, 18:37:22 »
I would like an invisible maker star, also. :)

In addition to my invisible 5000 post star, that is.

in memoriam

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:26:28 »
Option a) Purchase a sherline 5400 series CNC-ready mill and design a control system for it. The cost of this will be in the range of 1500$. These mills are extremely high precision, with some care (basically they need to be weighed down). however, they only handle small parts. think 40-65% keyboard cases, and I have no experience with CAM and gcode compilation yet in the subtractive realm. even if i were to purchase the unit tomorrow, it would be months before this service were online.

How about this: http://www.mydiycnc.com/content/new-bigfoot-desktop-cnc-machine-turnkey-system

Not saying it's right for us, just doing some research -- but the size seems respectable, and because it's a kit, the price is lower, $1000, roughly.
From that link: "Larger work area 15" [178 mm] x 13" [330 mm] x 3.7" [94 mm]" -- so that would be capable of a TKL case, right?
Also, have we ever consider providing a kit for people who want to learn to solder? When I first joined GH nearly a year ago, my first project was to build a Soarer converter. But before I did it, I went to Maker Faire here in NYC, and bought some of their little kits. These are kits for kids, pretty much -- make a 'mousebot' sort of thing. But they're good (great really) for beginners. Considering all the interest in mechanical keyboards, what do you guys think of a numpad kit as an introduction to soldering?
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:31:52 »
How about this: http://www.mydiycnc.com/content/new-bigfoot-desktop-cnc-machine-turnkey-system

Not saying it's right for us, just doing some research -- but the size seems respectable, and because it's a kit, the price is lower, $1000, roughly.
From that link: "Larger work area 15" [178 mm] x 13" [330 mm] x 3.7" [94 mm]" -- so that would be capable of

Ha, I love that you're still about the cnc machine. I would love to see what kawa has to say about this 'cause I still think Gh could really use one.

Also, have we ever consider providing a kit for people who want to learn to solder? When I first joined GH nearly a year ago, my first project was to build a Soarer converter. But before I did it, I went to Maker Faire here in NYC, and bought some of their little kits. These are kits for kids, pretty much -- make a 'mousebot' sort of thing. But they're good (great really) for beginners. Considering all the interest in mechanical keyboards, what do you guys think of a numpad kit as an introduction to soldering?

Ha that would be awesome. But maybe not a whole numpad kit? Maybe like a switch tester similar to the Techkeys business card?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:42:21 »

From that link: "Larger work area 15" [178 mm] x 13" [330 mm] x 3.7" [94 mm]" -- so that would be capable of

Ha, I love that you're still about the cnc machine. I would love to see what kawa has to say about this 'cause I still think Gh could really use one.

Just doin' some research is all -- I'm at Maker Level 1, maybe 2. I figure something like this could route out some wood cases, heck, maybe give it a drag knife and make a rough case from cardboard. There's a thread from samwisekoi, I think, where he just bent some metal to make prototyping faster? I'm not 100% clear on whether we're looking to get this machine for prototyping, or for out-and-out making useful products to sell to people. I would presume both.

Quote from: CaptBadAss
Ha that would be awesome. But maybe not a whole numpad kit? Maybe like a switch tester similar to the Techkeys business card?

I gotta laugh, because it was the techkeys business card w/working keys that helped spur the idea. If they can do that with a business card, why not make something just a step higher so someone can practice soldering? Maybe you're right, and the kit could be even less than a numpad. Maybe a 2x2 matrix that you could easily solder, and then attach to your computer via USB? Maybe it wouldn't include switches -- you could buy them while buying the kit, or use your own. So hook up four different switches and test them out. Hell, make it one switch if you want -- the barest of bare bones kits.

I think something like that would sell, and help fund other projects, and become keyboard beginner heroin. "C'mon, try it.... it'll make you feel good...." :)
More

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:46:43 »
I was just thinking that if its truly a beginner's kit, maybe soldering four switches is less intimidating than twenty.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:54:33 »
I think we should just have a geekhackers business card. One shortcut could be to the PM's, one to profile and one to spy

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 03 October 2013, 07:55:46 »
I was just thinking that if its truly a beginner's kit, maybe soldering four switches is less intimidating than twenty.

Oh absolutely -- and more affordable. Call it the 'Level 0 Keyboard Maker Kit' -- and it would be small enough to route out several at once.
I have no idea if that's feasible, though -- just an idea. It would be cool if you could program it to launch four applications. Or make one of the keys a function key, so six applications/macros/whatever.

Krogenar
Level 1 in "Making"
Level 100 in "Conjecturing Wildly"
More