Author Topic: Group Buy Visualiser  (Read 3877 times)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Group Buy Visualiser
« on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 23:29:34 »
I've been thinking about the GB's section lately and I feel like it's becoming a little bit too difficult to keep track of what's going on in there with the levels of traffic that GH are getting. Obviously this problem is only going to get worse as time goes on so I'm hoping I can come up with a solution that would allow people to know at a glance what GB's are currently running and at what stage in the GB process. I've posted a bit of a mockup below to demonstrate what I mean, you'll have to forgive my skills; I'm a programmer not a graphic designer  :))

One of the biggest advantages to this is that I think it will mean people can quickly hit the drop down and see what's currently available for ordering, I know I missed out on several GB's in the first few months I was here because I was still getting the hang of hows things worked here. Another advantage is being able to get a visual indicator on the color scheme before even opening the thread.  We could add another drop down to filter based on GB type as well (keysets, PCB's, cases etc) which would definitely make items easier to narrow down.

Each image when clicked will take you to the GB thread and for GB's with multiple mockups or sets I'd loop through each image on rollover or do a popup dialog with the additional info. My web skills are limited to Google Web Toolkit and I'm happy to write it using that but I'm open to suggestions if someone wants to give me a hand. I should be able to handle hosting as well seeing as traffic shouldn't be too crazy.

What does everyone think?
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 November 2013, 02:14:12 by bueller »
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
Re: Group Buy Visualiser
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 23:33:48 »
This seems like a pretty great idea 
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline regack

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 November 2013, 23:57:40 »
I like where this is going.  Sort of.  Finding stuff easier might make it easier to part with my hard earned wages.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 01:25:32 »
Updated the mockup to better illustrate my idea.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 02:23:07 »
I really really like MD does their GB.

The whole presentation makes you want to throw your money at the screen. Maybe if we somehow could get that sort of presentation we might hit those darned GMK MOQs.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 02:27:45 »
I really really like MD does their GB.

The whole presentation makes you want to throw your money at the screen. Maybe if we somehow could get that sort of presentation we might hit those darned GMK MOQs.

They're a big inspiration for this idea. We've got a lot happening here and I feel like if things were better organised and there was some standardisation around GB threads it would make things a lot easier for the uninitiated. This won't even really be that difficult to write if people are happy for me to do everything in Java, just a simple DB with entries automatically generated from threads in the GB section. Once new entries are generated I'll just need to add them to the appropriate categories, approve the photo and make the entry live. With decent keyword checking I can probably do a lot of that automatically on the back end as well.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 02:30:17 »
Yeah, I am a programmer too, and I can see that execution is not going to be that hard, but I can't say for sure as I haven't worked with SMF.

However a couple of extra fields in the OP of a GB thread for status, photo, etc is not hard.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 02:51:57 »
Okay so thinking about it and I definitely want to add in countdown timers for each item as well, that will give people a good grasp on how long they have left to make their minds up. Looked around and I can't really find much info on getting info out of SMF threads so I'll probably just parse the XML for each thread to get the information I need, shouldn't be difficult at all from what I've seen in the source.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 03:06:38 »
Okay so thinking about it and I definitely want to add in countdown timers for each item as well, that will give people a good grasp on how long they have left to make their minds up. Looked around and I can't really find much info on getting info out of SMF threads so I'll probably just parse the XML for each thread to get the information I need, shouldn't be difficult at all from what I've seen in the source.

I think there are 4 important details:
1. Time left for order
2. MOQ status
3. GB status
4. Atleast one photo/concept image

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 03:13:05 »

I think there are 4 important details:
1. Time left for order
2. MOQ status
3. GB status
4. Atleast one photo/concept image

Noted! One of the requirements for this will be that there be decent photos or concept mock-ups for each entry - kind of defeats the purpose of the whole thing if we half-ass the most important visual aspect.

That leads into another thread I'll be creating soon, the Open Source PSD thread. Basically just a bunch of PSD's for each layout with easy to edit layers for legend colors, mods, alphas etc. I'm no wiz at Photoshop though so I'll probably need some help figuring that out.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 November 2013, 12:25:35 by bueller »

Offline Belfong

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 03:42:30 »
Isn't it easier to stickie the group buy? :D

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 04:04:49 »
great idea, i am wondering if CtrlAltDel shop could share their source code, it'd be great to reuse their store code to build up a new site for GB. The worst case is I will code it for the community if I could get any freebies (no obligation)
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 04:11:54 »
great idea, i am wondering if CtrlAltDel shop could share their source code, it'd be great to reuse their store code to build up a new site for GB. The worst case is I will code it for the community if I could get any freebies (no obligation)

I'd prefer to keep this to an informational site, I don't like the idea of having a storefront as there is a chance of liability if a GB goes awry.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 13:05:27 »
reaper used to have a stickied thread listing active GBs and their status.  No pictures though.

Although he kinda stopped that before I really started paying attention, it was a great idea, especially as the only other stickied thread is the rules.

But someone would need to maintain it, so it would need to be quick and easy to use.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 November 2013, 13:09:54 »
But someone would need to maintain it, so it would need to be quick and easy to use.

Keepers and I can step up and work with bueller and anyone else. If you want us to maintain it we can do that. That is, if everyone is ok with that. I asked once about reaper's thread and someone told me it was really out of date. I never chased it after that but I think bueller's idea could be pretty cool.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 November 2013, 10:09:18 »

Keepers and I can step up and work with bueller and anyone else. If you want us to maintain it we can do that. That is, if everyone is ok with that. I asked once about reaper's thread and someone told me it was really out of date. I never chased it after that but I think bueller's idea could be pretty cool.

No worries, I don't think this will take me too long to get something functional up and running and I'll have some time free in a few weeks so I'll crack on with it and see what I can do.

Offline Stevenator21

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 15 December 2013, 18:28:58 »
Honestly I think this idea is genius!
Ducky Shine 3 TKL w/ Browns + White LEDs