Author Topic: [FS] "old" Cherry MX Blacks - Cherry Stabilizers  (Read 21444 times)

Offline whiskytango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Don't touch the trim
Interesting. I did not notice this when desoldering them, but then again I was in hurry-up mode. I wish I could tell you exactly which board(s) those came off of, but I was just desoldering them, sorting the switch housing types out, and throwing them into a pile. I have never heard of WYSE boards using dark grays, but you're right, those don't exactly look black. Never had any dark grays in my possession (that I knew of) to compare to though. I understood though that dark grays would be noticeably stiffer than a black.

Good eye though. Definitely will be paying more attention now as I sort switches.
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
  • Trade Count: (1)
I hope someone who's seen them will pitch in.  I did not expect them, so I opened at least one of the questionable switches and one of the definite gray switches and took out the springs into the big spring pile (for cleaning) before I realized that I had a gray stem on my hands.  I tried to look for an obviously different spring to put back in, but, I couldn't identify one!  As far as I can tell, the springs look the same.  And the natural variation in color did not help--some were more silver, some were a bit oxidized.  I'll have to open the other two gray switches and double-check.  Could someone comment on Dark Gray springs vs. Black/Clear springs in terms of appearance?
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline deazncy

Are those "old" black stems the same as mx red stems? I want to replace the blue stems on my poker so I can make it mx reds, but I was wondering if those black stems were identical to that of reds so that I can just use the black stems instead of trying to find red ones.
“Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” -Bruce Lee

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Pretty sure the only difference between a Red and a Black switch is the spring. Stems are the same.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
I hope someone who's seen them will pitch in.  I did not expect them, so I opened at least one of the questionable switches and one of the definite gray switches and took out the springs into the big spring pile (for cleaning) before I realized that I had a gray stem on my hands.  I tried to look for an obviously different spring to put back in, but, I couldn't identify one!  As far as I can tell, the springs look the same.  And the natural variation in color did not help--some were more silver, some were a bit oxidized.  I'll have to open the other two gray switches and double-check.  Could someone comment on Dark Gray springs vs. Black/Clear springs in terms of appearance?

I added Dark Grey (Linear) switches to my MX-Black Poker and they are noticeably heavier than an MX-Black switch. I only have two left, which I plan on using on another board, otherwise I'd send one to you.  :-[

Below is a photo of what they look like.

Key Caps & Switches by Michael Ashby, on Flickr

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
Are those "old" black stems the same as mx red stems? I want to replace the blue stems on my poker so I can make it mx reds, but I was wondering if those black stems were identical to that of reds so that I can just use the black stems instead of trying to find red ones.

As far as I know, yes they are identical. I have done exactly what you said, used stems from some old blacks from a WYSE and springs from a blue to make a red. They call this a "ghetto red". I put them side by side with some modern reds and couldn't tell a real difference. What little difference I could tell I think had more to do with the fact that the reds were on a Leopold and the ghetto reds were on a Rosewill.

If all you need are the stems, and you don't need your blue stems, I will trade you, stem for stem. I like blues with black springs...

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Thank you--yours are much lighter in color!  I can see a clear difference.  So then mine are not Dark Grays but use some uncommon and odd gray plastic for Black stems... which is just confusing!!!

Offline BlueBär

To compare the springs maybe just press them against each other (one stem against the the other).

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
To compare the springs maybe just press them against each other (one stem against the the other).

Yeah, I could do that.  But the most likely answer is that my odd gray switches are just plain MX Blacks from some random batch that used dark gray plastic in place of black.  The switches feel the same, and according to Mashby, I would notice the difference with Dark Grays being quite stiff.  Maybe they are some sort of "transition" switches, when the change was happening with the logo from "vintage" Blacks to "modern" Blacks.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
Got my keys today!  Look great on my Filco.  The colors were nearly an exact match, not even noticeable.  Thanks man.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
I got my switches today at the post. Thx a lot Whiskytango!

Also, first thing I did was to take 2 switches out and "test" them in my hands since the only switch I ever tried is the brown on my Filcos. And the second thing I did was to open a switch, see what it looked like, and change the spring for a 65g spring I had (got tem from someone on GH, and I think he told me they were from originative or similar).

And the first thing I realised is that both springs are VERY different. First, the stock "vintage" spring is shorter, has fewer coils and is maybe darker in color (probably because it's old). So, since I have no stock blue/red/brown spring, or a stock black "modern" black spring, I would be very happy if anyone having all 3 of them could take a picture of them besides one another?

I tried to take a picture of my 2 springs together, but my camera sucks hard and was unable to do so...

IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
By the way, those springs regain their shine and clean up nice if you put them into a small glass filled with 91% alcohol for a few minutes :)  Not completely back to silver, but much cleaner after the dip.

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
I don't think those are Dark Grey's. They might be from a different plastic batch of vintage black stems though.

Dark Grey's are as firm as normal grey's or greens but linear (as others have stated).

Here are some pics for comparison:
29282-029284-129286-2

Offline Neal

Got mine today, thanks!

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
Got mine yesterday, thanks very much sir! The set is very clean and a great match to the moogle.

I just need a wyse tsangan!

Offline nilpt

Re: WYSE - Cherry MX Blacks - "Vintage" Blacks - Cherry Stabilizers - Imsto PBT
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 01 August 2013, 16:30:21 »
Set 22 arrived.
Thank you very much.
IBM 1391410 / Qume terminal keyboard (teensy 2++)

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 09 August 2013, 16:46:03 »
Just wanted you to know I got my stuff and everything was in good condition.

Offline j2c8w6f8

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:01:16 »
pmed

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:11:53 »
YGPM ;)
What the hell am I even doing

Offline devilockz

« Reply #119 on: Wed, 04 September 2013, 05:40:41 »
can i have the WYSE keycaps set #6 ? and can you quote me the price for shipping to M'sia?

thank you so much

Offline devilockz

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 23:50:11 »
hey bro, got my package today. and thanks for the extra gift. Great Seller. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: 5 thumbs up for u.

36609-0

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 05:24:33 »
Any stabs left?

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
Re: [FS] WYSE sets - "old" Cherry MX Blacks - Cherry Stabilizers
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 09:32:25 »
Any stabs left?

I have a few stabs and switches left...

Offline r3dx

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 11:11:58 »
Just submitted an order  :D
Filco MJ2 Ninja | CM Storm QFR | CM Storm QFR | IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | ErgoDox |
LZ-GH

Offline r3dx

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 24 September 2013, 19:27:43 »
Invoice paid.
Filco MJ2 Ninja | CM Storm QFR | CM Storm QFR | IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | ErgoDox |
LZ-GH

Offline BliTzKiN

« Reply #125 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 07:44:00 »
YGPM

Offline josh

• Since 2011
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 08:23:44 »
Ok, are these Dark Grays?  When testing them (unmounted, pressing with fingers), I can't really tell a difference between them and regular MX Blacks.  Could be a small difference that I'd feel once they are mounted--I don't know.

Pure Black stems are on the left side: front, and one far back.  Middle left is undecided...  It's not pure black, but also quite dark to be gray...

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I have 2 more of the ones like the "undecided" switch.  3 total of the obviously gray ones.

well i have some... ;D
and also have some pics for you
OTD 356CL Gunmetal | OTD 356CL Black | OTD 356CL DGE | OTD 356 Mini Military Green | OTD 356 Pad | TGR Jane V2 Blue Grey | TGR Jane V2 Pink | TGR Jane V2 ce E-White | TGR Alice Prototype 1.0 | TGR Alice Pink Silver Two Tone | TGR Alice Polycarbonate | TGR 910 RE Red | TGR 910 ce Silver | TGR x GAF 910 Black | TGR x GAF 910 Purple | Noxary Vulcan Pro Silver | Noxary Evija HG | Keycult No.2/65 Unfinished Red | Realforce 101 | Realforce 10 Year Anniversary | Realforce 23U | HHKB Professional White | HHKB Professional Charcoal | HHKB Snow 25th Anniversary Japan Edition

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 28 September 2013, 10:51:39 »
Interesting :)  I find these gray-black stems a bit more gritty than "normal" black stems, although my sample size is small.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: [FS] "old" Cherry MX Blacks - Cherry Stabilizers
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 18 October 2013, 18:16:28 »
Got the key caps in safe and sound and thrilled with how good they look. Thank you whiskey tango

WYSE Close Up by cpkey, on Flickr

Really thrilled with the "thick" set to see how different they are from the standard SP thin series.

WYSE Thick vs Thin by cpkey, on Flickr

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 01:28:36 »
Sorry to bump an old thread but what's the functional difference between plate and pcb mounted stabs?

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 01:46:52 »
Sorry to bump an old thread but what's the functional difference between plate and pcb mounted stabs?

Plate mounted ones don't have those two plastic pieces on the bottom and they can only be mounted to a plate. The PCB mounted ones have to use special/specific PCB's that have the cutouts for those two plastics pieces. But, you can also cut those off to turn them into Plate mounted.

Hope that helps

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 02:14:31 »

Plate mounted ones don't have those two plastic pieces on the bottom and they can only be mounted to a plate. The PCB mounted ones have to use special/specific PCB's that have the cutouts for those two plastics pieces. But, you can also cut those off to turn them into Plate mounted.

Hope that helps

thanks!

I need a pcb mounted cherry stab, so this won't cut it as it doesn't have the things that poke into the pcb

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 21:54:15 »

thanks!

I need a pcb mounted cherry stab, so this won't cut it as it doesn't have the things that poke into the pcb

That is correct. Sorry, I don't have any more PCB stabs available right now. Plate only.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 00:22:13 »
Sweet ive been looking for blacks, thanks man

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV