Author Topic: ErgoDox, USB Interference  (Read 2103 times)

Offline jdeblese

ErgoDox, USB Interference
« on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 05:25:47 »
Hi,

I've got a bit of a problem with a new ErogDox: the USB connection regularly drops when connecting to the board rather than directly to the Teensy. When I first plug it in (after restarting the computer) it will work fine, but after a few minutes I'll get a USB disconnect. The keyboard will then disconnect and reconnect repeatedly on an interval of a few seconds, and after a minute of that it'll stop connecting entirely. Linux gives me an unable to enumerate error, Windows an unable to identify popup.

This is on two different computers and on multiple hubs, so it's not an electrical problem with that port. I've had the Teensy (with a modified firmware to disable I2C) connected directly for a few minutes and didn't encounter the problem. I've tried resoldering the USB jumper cable, shortening the wires, but if this helped it did so only slightly.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Anyone have an idea?
I might try resoldering the connector, or testing the Teensy directly for a longer period of time, but both seemed fine.

Cheers,
Jw

Offline regack

Re: ErgoDox, USB Interference
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 07:26:47 »
Does it happen if it's just sitting there, or do you have to be using/touching/moving it? The latter could  indicate some kind of loose connection/short.  From the way I read it, it will work just fine if you plug directly into the teensy, rather than into the USB on the PCB... so I'd go over all those joints again, or reattach/replace the USB connector and/or the USBjumperthing that goes to the Teensy. 

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 08:50:23 »
I don't have this issue, however my PC refuses to boot with the ErgoDox plugged in.

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:52:05 »
Does it happen if it's just sitting there, or do you have to be using/touching/moving it?

It will happen just sitting there. I plugged it in and went to eat, and when I came back I had a screen full of errors.

I've tried replacing the jumper, but now that I've replaced my desoldering pump I'll redo the connector as well. I'll test the Teensy directly as well, again, just to be sure.

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:53:01 »
I don't have this issue, however my PC refuses to boot with the ErgoDox plugged in.

Hmm, haven't tried that yet.

Any useful error message?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:57:17 »
Nope nothing, just the underscore type cursor blinking.

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 10:03:02 »
Nope nothing, just the underscore type cursor blinking.

Bizarre. Just tried booting with mine, no problem. Maybe you also have a bad connection that's interfering, or something in the BIOS about USB keyboards?

Well, I've trimmed the wires and the jumper connector, cleaned and resoldered the pads of both the connector and the jumper wires, and spread out the wires so they're not parallel. The left side alone has now been working for a good hour here on my desk, so I assume it's fixed.

Maybe there was a bit of oxidation or a weaker contact, just enough to disturb the USB communications. Hope it stays fixed.