Author Topic: TravelDox - Mini ErgoDox with trackball and scroll wheel  (Read 3628 times)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
TravelDox - Mini ErgoDox with trackball and scroll wheel
« on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 13:31:24 »
So, I finally started building my ErgoDox, only thing left to do is solder the switches and Teensy.

While having a feel of the ErgoDox, I realised I really like dit, and once i get used ot it, I might have trouble on a normal keyboard, specially when going to university and other places.

I loved jdcarpe's 40% as it was super small and could be easily carried anywhere, however it is a staggered layout keyboard and once I get used to ErgoDox, I fear I'll really be able to appreciate it.

This, I thought of this smaller mini Ergodox, it isn't split and both the halves have an angle to it, thus it is not for everyone.

I have integrated a trackball and scrollwheel as well, I would liek to have them, but at this point I have no idea where to source the parts or how to integrate them

I can lopoly the keyboard at the moment with a Teensy and probably get the firmware working as well based on the ErgoDox work by benblazak

I would love your views, critic and ideas on this

Offline mtl

Re: TravelDox - Mini ErgoDox with trackball and scroll wheel
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 17:58:04 »
Looks good. How about a hinge in the middle to make the angle adjustable, sort of like an M15?
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 18:52:09 »
I think it's a good idea. I've been toying with a design similar to that for portable use. Fewer keys, trackball in center and portable. I am not very tech savvy so I'm considering integrating a Marble Mouse or something similar but if you could combine it in the Teensy circuitry it would make it much more compact.

Some don't seem to have a problem switching back and forth between a conventional board and an ErgoDox but I don't think I would want to if I could avoid it.

Looks good. How about a hinge in the middle to make the angle adjustable, sort of like an M15?

Also a good idea. It might be tricky however with the trackball centered unless it has two points of articulation. Then you would have to compensate for losing the natural structural rigidity of the triangle.

We are altering the design to a point where it may soon be inappropriate to call these creations ErgoDoxes.

I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 19:04:35 »
I think that you should increase the offsets between columns to be at least as large as on the ErgoDox....
... or use a symmetric stagger layout - which would be more compact.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 August 2013, 20:38:33 »
I think that you should increase the offsets between columns to be at least as large as on the ErgoDox....
... or use a symmetric stagger layout - which would be more compact.

The offsets although not as evident from the picture are the same as the ErgoDox, I used litster's case files to create a layout sheet for the ErgoDox, and used that to create the above layout.