Author Topic: [GB] Southpaw Full Size - Shipping and remanufacturing  (Read 106118 times)

Offline reconsiderit

• I'm actually not left handed www.switchplate.co
[GB] Southpaw Full Size - Shipping and remanufacturing
« on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 21:15:48 »
Southpaw Full Size  -  Left Handed / Semi-reversed full sized board. Top mount. CNC aluminum.

Album  -  https://imgur.com/a/grnkKAc
IC Post  -  https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=94506.0

Details
- Full size, 100% layout. Fits most keycap sets
- Semi isolated top mount construction
- Standard or mirrored numpad options
- Winkey and Winkeyless options
- QMK PCB with USB Mini-B
- 8.5 degree angle
- Layouts are dependent on which plate you choose.

Options
- Chassis material. 6061 or 7075 Aluminum Alloy
- Plain bottom or integrated brass weight.
- Plate layout and configuration. Full and partial plate options. Traditional and mirrored numpad
- Plate material and manufacturing process. CNC Brass and aluminum. Laser cut acrylic.
- Finishes. Raw (unfinished), traditionally anodized, or hard anodized.

Finish Options
- Raw (both materials)
- Type II Anodization, Black, grey, silver (both materials)
- Type II Anodization, Blue, Dark Blue, Red, Purple (6061 only)
- Type III Hard Anodized Black (both materials)

Color Samples  -  More in album

Pricing
- Base price of $210 for a chassis in 6061 with no weight and no finishing
- Add $20 for standard anodization
- Add $50 for hard anodization
- Add $25 for 7075 aluminum
- Add $120 for brass weight

- $35 for PCBs
- $55 for Brass plates
- $35 for aluminum plate
- $25 for aluminum half plates
- $20 for acrylic plates

Other crap that might be important
- Ships in Q4 2018 / Q1 2019
- Shipping is a little more expensive because I'm basically shipping hunks of metal here. I'll be using custom cut foam and boxes. Every package is insured.
- If you opt for laser engraving, please send an email to contact@switchplate.co with your engraving in an Adobe illustrator file or DXF.
- No, I cannot declare you board to customs as a $10 gift.
- Closes Friday July 29th

PURCHASE HERE: https://switchplate.co/collections/southpaw-full-size-group-buy
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 December 2019, 01:01:23 by reconsiderit »
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

Re: [GB] Southpaw Full Size
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 16 July 2018, 21:16:04 »
Reserved for updates.

--

August 1st 2018 - MOQ is met. We're good to go.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 August 2018, 18:53:43 by reconsiderit »
Southpaw 65 || Southpaw Full Size || Trinity XT TKL || TGR Jane V2 || TGR 910 RE || Duck Jetfire || Matrix Lab 1.2 OG || Jubi || Lunar || Lunar II || g80-1800 HEU

switchplate.co

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 11:39:36 »
Approval bump!
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 18:07:20 »
There's the thread!

So how many boards have been sold so far?

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 19:07:17 »
What are the pros / cons of the different anodization? I literally have no idea.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 23:49:55 »
There's the thread!

So how many boards have been sold so far?

Well, there are 35 units left up for grabs. The rest were purchased the first day the GB was up

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 00:24:19 »
What are the pros / cons of the different anodization? I literally have no idea.

So there are two types of anodization that is offered. Type II, which is the traditional kind, and type III which is hard anodization.

The main advantage that type III has over Type II is the durability. It's basically a hard coat that both builds both inwards and outwards from the surface. On the other hand, traditional anodization (type II) only builds inwards from the surface. Though it is not as hard, as type III ano, it can be anodized in many colors while on the other hand, type III ano is usually limited to darker colors. In this case, it will only be available in black because of the possibility of inconsistency with other colors.

switchplate.co

Offline Sylvestyeo

Re: [GB] Southpaw Full Size - GB open till 7/29 - 35 spots left
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 19:06:27 »
Do you have a colour sample of the dark blue. Saw the Pantone colour but not sure how it'll turn out. Any ideas if it'll look close to mid night blue?

Offline MegalaDump

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 22:04:03 »
You mentioned you ordered another prototype, I don't suppose it was one that shows what the mirrored number pad will look like?

Anyway, I have two orders in so far. This is my dream board :thumb:
AL1 x2 | Southpaw extended 65 x2 | Southpaw Full Size x2 (when they ship) | TX-Cp x2 | Duck Jetfire | UK78 | Pearl 40 | TGR Alice | Doro67 (when it ships) | QXP (when it ships) | Singa Polycarb | ALF-x11 (when it ships)

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 22:05:25 »
Do you have a colour sample of the dark blue. Saw the Pantone colour but not sure how it'll turn out. Any ideas if it'll look close to mid night blue?

I have color samples that arrive tomorrow. The rep from the factory has given me pics of the color sample though the lighting isn't great and it doesn't quite show the colors too well. I'll take a proper picture tomorrow with some proper lighting.

switchplate.co

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 22:13:16 »
hmmm

weird enough for me to order one if there are still slots open when i get paid

i've kinda come around on this design in the last few days
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 22:18:58 »
You mentioned you ordered another prototype, I don't suppose it was one that shows what the mirrored number pad will look like?

Anyway, I have two orders in so far. This is my dream board :thumb:

This is the only pic I have of the proto at the moment which should be arriving tomorrow. This the board with the revised weight in 7075 Hard Ano black and has the half plate option with a mirrored numpad in the lighter of the blue colors. Again, I need to take a proper picture since I dont really think that this represents the color super great.

Additionally, below is the PCB, designed by ai03. Production PCB will be in white/black. Something really neat that I had requested was the top left cluster of three switches. The last photo shows a set of jumpers that can be used so that they either function as normal LEDs for backlighting or as indicators for num, caps, and scroll lock.

switchplate.co

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 22:21:01 »
ok that black with the light blue plate has convinced me

when i get paid i am ordering one of these if there are still slots

although i'm in for a red plate to match my DESKO set
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 July 2018, 22:25:12 by Puddsy »
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline MegalaDump

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 22:35:25 »
Yea that's hella nice! I might have to change both plates to be mirrored.

ok that black with the light blue plate has convinced me

when i get paid i am ordering one of these if there are still slots

although i'm in for a red plate to match my DESKO set

I also chose a red plate for one, should look classy underneath a WoB set.

AL1 x2 | Southpaw extended 65 x2 | Southpaw Full Size x2 (when they ship) | TX-Cp x2 | Duck Jetfire | UK78 | Pearl 40 | TGR Alice | Doro67 (when it ships) | QXP (when it ships) | Singa Polycarb | ALF-x11 (when it ships)

Offline wixxzblu

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 16:35:08 »
i hope we get a pure black pcb.

Offline ye_cole

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 17:03:26 »
is it too late to change the number pad to the proper size

/s

edit: damn it I can't even be sarcastic correctly please ignore me
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 July 2018, 21:42:24 by ye_cole »

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 19:00:01 »

/s

?

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 20:18:04 »

/s

?

I think he meant "side" judging by the /s

Offline alisonica

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 20:21:59 »
Is that PCB ALPs compatible?
Might consider buying another one if it's ALPS.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 21:42:39 »

The PCB is alps compatible. You would need a fixed layout alps specific plate for it which I would recommend getting laser cut at one of the community vendors. I can help you with the design or dimensions of the plate if you decide to go down that route. 

switchplate.co

Offline alisonica

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 20 July 2018, 23:45:55 »

The PCB is alps compatible. You would need a fixed layout alps specific plate for it which I would recommend getting laser cut at one of the community vendors. I can help you with the design or dimensions of the plate if you decide to go down that route.

Can you (as GB leader) get it cut and sell it to me instead? Carbon Fibre etc. I'm happy to add monies.

Offline Sylvestyeo

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 01:00:55 »

I have color samples that arrive tomorrow. The rep from the factory has given me pics of the color sample though the lighting isn't great and it doesn't quite show the colors too well. I'll take a proper picture tomorrow with some proper lighting.

Waiting for pictures before deciding which to get!  ;D

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 02:57:12 »

Can you (as GB leader) get it cut and sell it to me instead? Carbon Fibre etc. I'm happy to add monies.

At the moment, I have laser places on hand here in the states that will do acrylic. I dont have a CF place here or overseas but if you can find one, I can organize and design an alps plate for you at an extra cost.

switchplate.co

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 03:12:31 »
NEW SAMPLES

Just wanted to put this up so you guys can get an idea of what the hard ano is like. Compared to the traditional anodization which is being done at an already fine grit, this produces a very finely matted anodized finish. Because of the nature of hard ano, the texture of the sandblasting is not preserved as it is a finish that both builds on and consumes the material. On the other hand, the traditional anodizing process results in a more glossy, shiny finish that is heavily dependent on sandblasting.

Also, color samples. I would say that this, plus the picture at the top best represents the colors that are to be expected. This one is taken outside and the colors are mostly accurate. Red and light blue will appear less saturated. The dark blue though is a little more saturated and more blue than it would appear in this picture. The sample at the top better represents the colors in non-direct sunlight.

And finally, a lot of people who have already joined have decided to go the way of the heaviest configuration possible, can I can assure you, it's damn heavy. I would say 10ish lbs completely built.

switchplate.co

Offline portbaron

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 09:51:23 »
Is there any way to edit the color choice if we already paid lol? That light blue is looking good.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline m1kehonch0

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 14:30:01 »
Probably should have asked before: does the PCB come fully assembled sans switches? That is, diodes and controllers are installed, right? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline crystalflame

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 15:52:38 »
NEW SAMPLES

Show Image

Just wanted to put this up so you guys can get an idea of what the hard ano is like. Compared to the traditional anodization which is being done at an already fine grit, this produces a very finely matted anodized finish. Because of the nature of hard ano, the texture of the sandblasting is not preserved as it is a finish that both builds on and consumes the material. On the other hand, the traditional anodizing process results in a more glossy, shiny finish that is heavily dependent on sandblasting.

Show Image

Also, color samples. I would say that this, plus the picture at the top best represents the colors that are to be expected. This one is taken outside and the colors are mostly accurate. Red and light blue will appear less saturated. The dark blue though is a little more saturated and more blue than it would appear in this picture. The sample at the top better represents the colors in non-direct sunlight.

Show Image

And finally, a lot of people who have already joined have decided to go the way of the heaviest configuration possible, can I can assure you, it's damn heavy. I would say 10ish lbs completely built.

I ordered the dark blue and that sample doesn't match what I expected from the Pantone color at all which is worrying. It looks purple on all 3 of my monitors. Is this subject to change? Can we get more pictures that do it justice otherwise I think I may like to change my color choice.

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 16:06:54 »
Probably should have asked before: does the PCB come fully assembled sans switches? That is, diodes and controllers are installed, right? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PCB will come fully assembled with all of the components except for the reset switch which will be a thru hole component that needs to be soldered on the top side.

switchplate.co

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 16:39:54 »
Hey, reconsiderit. I'd like to change a bunch of options on my board. Should I pm you for that?

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 21:50:23 »
Hey, reconsiderit. I'd like to change a bunch of options on my board. Should I pm you for that?

Shoot me an email at mill@switchplate.co. I'll have you cancel and reorder. Easier for me to keep track that way

switchplate.co

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 22:22:03 »

Shoot me an email at mill@switchplate.co. I'll have you cancel and reorder. Easier for me to keep track that way

Already pm'd you, but sent to your email as well. Thanks!

Offline reconsiderit

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 21 July 2018, 23:37:02 »
NEW SAMPLES

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I ordered the dark blue and that sample doesn't match what I expected from the Pantone color at all which is worrying. It looks purple on all 3 of my monitors. Is this subject to change? Can we get more pictures that do it justice otherwise I think I may like to change my color choice.

I wouldn't say that it's purple, but in certain lighting conditions, it's very much like a dark grey-blue. In direct sunlight, its a very saturated blue color.

switchplate.co

Offline spooknik

Re: [GB] Southpaw Full Size - GB open till 7/29 - 29 spots left
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 11:33:57 »
I hope we hit MOQ for this one! Only 9 more! (Assuming MOQ is still 45)

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 15:37:38 »
Let there be pixel art...

Winkey

Winkeyless

Skidolcha

I might just be a tad excited for this to GB  :p

Offline alisonica

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 16:23:38 »

Me too, I've sent you the e-mail about the alps plates, i need to cancel everything and reorder. Anyone else needs alps plates?

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 16:24:35 »

Winkey
Show Image

Winkeyless
Show Image

Skidolcha
Show Image

These are cool.  What do you use to create them?

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 16:35:26 »

Winkey
Show Image

Winkeyless
Show Image

Skidolcha
Show Image

These are cool.  What do you use to create them?

Thanks, I just do them in gimp. But I suppose you could do it in paint if you really wanted to.

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 16:41:28 »

Sent an email to change my case color to silver rather than the grey I originally ordered.  Thanks! Sorry for the change.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline reconsiderit

Re: [GB] Southpaw Full Size - GB open till 7/29 - 27 spots left
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 05:25:05 »
Finally found some time to throw a mock-up of this thing together and the mirrored numpad might actually be a really nice thing to have. Again, some people mentioned that having the thumb above the 2u zero which I didn't really think of till I gave it a go. Certainly feels more natural than the standard layout though some of the functions (like the numpad arrows) aren't as intuitive as it's mirrored.

switchplate.co

Offline spooknik

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 06:10:41 »
Finally found some time to throw a mock-up of this thing together and the mirrored numpad might actually be a really nice thing to have. Again, some people mentioned that having the thumb above the 2u zero which I didn't really think of till I gave it a go. Certainly feels more natural than the standard layout though some of the functions (like the numpad arrows) aren't as intuitive as it's mirrored.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It's really interesting that you also mirrored the number keys. I've ordered two mirrored plates and I was planning on keeping the numbers in the non-mirrored position and mirroring everything else. This seemed most natural to me.

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 07:36:37 »
Anyone else get a refund this morning without warning?
Edit: Nevermind - I had to cancel and reorder to change colors and for some reason i just now got the paypal email stating that from a few days ago. 

Phew - sorry for the PM reconsiderit :-[
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 July 2018, 07:49:04 by att1cus »

Offline sangoan

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 07:52:40 »
im in!!!!!!

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 16:33:28 »
Any possibility that the case will have an underglow diffuser option?

Offline spooknik

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 05:17:32 »

If you chose to have a brass weight, I'm sure you could make some kind of transparent insert.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 09:02:06 »

If you chose to have a brass weight, I'm sure you could make some kind of transparent insert.

well, if you get no weight, i think the case bottom is the same, no?

or can i save $120 and not have a giant hole in the bottom of my case

oh my god i just looked at the album of renders and stuff and i feel like a big idiot
« Last Edit: Sat, 28 July 2018, 09:05:43 by Puddsy »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 09:38:41 »
well, i put my order in so here's hoping it doesn't come with a giant hole in the bottom

Offline spooknik

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 11:13:48 »

oh my god i just looked at the album of renders and stuff and i feel like a big idiot

No, if you don't choose a weight, no hole is made in the bottom of the case. It's one solid piece. It says on the product page: 'Weight is integrated into the design of the case. "Without weight" specifies a solid aluminum bottom.'

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 11:24:13 »

No, if you don't choose a weight, no hole is made in the bottom of the case. It's one solid piece. It says on the product page: 'Weight is integrated into the design of the case. "Without weight" specifies a solid aluminum bottom.'

nice

i must've missed that

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 13:00:01 »

Yep I did choose the weight option.  Anyone know of anyone who does diffusers like this?  Does the SP PCB have underglow?

Offline spooknik

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 28 July 2018, 13:12:39 »

Yep I did choose the weight option.  Anyone know of anyone who does diffusers like this?  Does the SP PCB have underglow?

From the prototype board above, the layout doesn't seem to support surface mount RGB leds. Maybe there's a spot for them and I'm just not seeing them. Anyway, to make diffuse would be really simple, you just measure the hole size (from the inside) and the height and then laser cut a piece of acrylic to fit in that spot and screw in via the screw holes. Won't sit flush with the bottom side, but I guess that wouldn't matter so much.