Author Topic: Mixing Alps, Matias, and Cherry switches on same board?  (Read 4446 times)

Offline sublime

Mixing Alps, Matias, and Cherry switches on same board?
« on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 07:21:50 »
I'm assuming this will not work because they are different switches, but would like to know for sure either way.

If I wanted Matias or Alps switches, would I need a PCB designed specifically for them then?

Thanks

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Mixing Alps, Matias, and Cherry switches on same board?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 07:24:36 »
The keycap heights would be completely different.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 07:26:46 »
They would not fit into a Cherry MX PCB, given that they have different pin locations, but you could design a PCB that would accept both (it has been done) and install different types for different keys.  But I'm not sure of the advantage to doing that, and as spamray mentioned you'd probably have really weird profile issues.

What's the motivation for trying this?

Offline sublime

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 07:34:44 »
The keycap heights would be completely different.

I would do it only for the F row or escape, so I could use some extra caps for poops and giggles

They would not fit into a Cherry MX PCB, given that they have different pin locations, but you could design a PCB that would accept both (it has been done) and install different types for different keys.  But I'm not sure of the advantage to doing that, and as spamray mentioned you'd probably have really weird profile issues.

I wanted to do it just for experimentation purposes. Sounded like a neat project

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 07:40:27 »

I wanted to do it just for experimentation purposes. Sounded like a neat project

Well I certainly won't question that motive.  :)

That said, I only know of one board that will support both, and it's the Duck Mini V2 (GH GB thread here).  Again, you could design your own PCB (hard) or you could even matrix wire some together with a custom plate (difficult due to different switch sizes, but otherwise not too bad).

I wish you the best of luck.   :p

Offline sublime

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 07:49:23 »

That said, I only know of one board that will support both, and it's the Duck Mini V2 (GH GB thread here).  Again, you could design your own PCB (hard) or you could even matrix wire some together with a custom plate (difficult due to different switch sizes, but otherwise not too bad).

Thanks!

Do you know of any PCBs that are Alps exclusive?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 08:02:14 »

The Kingsaver PCB I believe. Not sure what that PCB is called. And there's another PCB I saw on Kaliet's site but I'm also unsure of it's name.

Also the Matias, the Alps SCKL/SKCM (complicated Alps), and SKBL/SKBM (simplified Alps) switches have the same legs so you don't need a PCB that has three different sets of holes. In other words, to do what you described in the OP, you'd just need a PCB that has the Alps holes and MX holes.

And another PCB with both Alps and MX switch capabilities is the Leeku 1800 PCB.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 March 2014, 08:05:15 by CPTBadAss »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 08:05:29 »

Thanks!

IF sprit is still up to the challenge, he had plans to do a similar group buy to his MX buy, which is still ongoing, except for Alps boards.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 08:06:48 »
This should be possible IMO, and is something I will be trying soon.

The only limitation is the PCB, if the PCB is designed to take both the type of switches _AND_ is designed so that the centers of the switch (mounting point actually) coincide, then you should be able to.

Regarding caps and profiles, I think Tai Hao produces the same profile (OEM) for both types. Maybe even SP.

As for the reason why, the bets reason I can think of is stabs, this is the reason I am going to experiment with a hybrid since it is extremely tedious to find alps stabs and there is also a lot of variance, as I would be using a set which has already been produced and has alps stabs so there is no option of having Cherry-compatible stabs and alps switch, I will instead use MX for all the mods.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 08:14:16 »
This should be possible IMO, and is something I will be trying soon.

The only limitation is the PCB, if the PCB is designed to take both the type of switches _AND_ is designed so that the centers of the switch (mounting point actually) coincide, then you should be able to.

Regarding caps and profiles, I think Tai Hao produces the same profile (OEM) for both types. Maybe even SP.

As for the reason why, the bets reason I can think of is stabs, this is the reason I am going to experiment with a hybrid since it is extremely tedious to find alps stabs and there is also a lot of variance, as I would be using a set which has already been produced and has alps stabs so there is no option of having Cherry-compatible stabs and alps switch, I will instead use MX for all the mods.

Regardless of keycap profile, aren't Alps switches taller than MX switches?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 08:24:25 »
15.2 vs 15.4, given the allowances, I think they would be about the same height.

Edit: However there is a 1mm difference above the plate level. Above mentioned dimensions are based on PCB level.
« Last Edit: Mon, 31 March 2014, 08:27:39 by MOZ »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 08:26:11 »

But we would have to meet Tai Hao MOQ to get Tai Hao Alps caps. SP is a better choice if you can figure out the stabilizer situation.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 08:29:44 »
Definitely. Given how calavera is not active much and SP has their own distribution system, it might not be a bad idea to reboot interest.

15.2 vs 15.4, given the allowances, I think they would be about the same height.

Edit: However there is a 1mm difference above the plate level. Above mentioned dimensions are based on PCB level.

Possible solution si to use plate mounted Alps, and PCB mounted Cherry switches.

Offline sublime

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 09:27:22 »
Would I have to look in the classifieds for a Leeku 1800? I'm assuming nobody has them in an online shop

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 09:52:34 »
Would I have to look in the classifieds for a Leeku 1800? I'm assuming nobody has them in an online shop

Yes. They were in a GB recently and that's where I got it.

Offline sublime

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 11:14:40 »

Yes. They were in a GB recently and that's where I got it.

Thanks for the info CPT