Author Topic: [IC] Chainmaille cable armor - Updated 12/31/2013  (Read 24544 times)

Offline asura

• not a duck
Re: [IC] Chainmaille cable armor
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 12:25:04 »

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 15:55:05 »
Oh god, can you imagine hand winding coils?

I have a homemade rig at home for coiling jump rings, and it's essentially a cordless drill, mandrel with a hole drilled at the base, and two "towers" to stablize the mandrel.

That's a neat idea for making a couple hundred rings, but if you plan on doing chainmaille with any regularity, you're going to spend as much time making rings as putting them together.

Also, if you want to use stainless steel, you've got a damn nightmare on your hand trying to cut rings out of a coil. I've gone through so many wire snips that it's become so cost prohibitive just in wire cutters alone.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 16:58:49 »
So when are you getting the first cable done?

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 17:24:34 »
these look abolutely amazing!

I hope you will be making these for a while, once I get my main driver's color scheme figured out some armor on the cable would make it look sweet!

I can imagine it would be good for people who have cats that like to scratch at cables  :cool:

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 19:10:14 »
Still waiting on my supply to come in. It gets hard to estimate time to ship, since its going to customs in canada, to make it to california to be picked up and brought over on boat.

Patience is key to this one. As i get the rings, it wont be but another day or two before I have all the specifics worked out and will be ready to put up a gb on this.

I dont think too many people will take me up on a full cable, so I dont anticipate getting burned out on this. So I'll be offering armoring services for the foreseeable future.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 02:57:42 »
Patience is key to this one. As i get the rings, it wont be but another day or two before I have all the specifics worked out and will be ready to put up a gb on this.

I dont think too many people will take me up on a full cable, so I dont anticipate getting burned out on this. So I'll be offering armoring services for the foreseeable future.

I just grabbed this last post from you, too tired to read everything (night-shift misery) but have you provided pics on how these beautiful babies can be attached firmly (forever) to the usb micro and usb A connectors?

I will order a 6 footer from you if you can show how it will be permanently attached without ever losing it's position along the length of the cable, that is MOST important to me.

Sorry if you've provided pics but I'm just heading off to bed now.  Too lazy and tired to hunt down any images, yes I'm that useless when it's 4.00AM.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 07:38:39 »
I haven't provided pics yet. I'm still working on that side. It's the one thing that's holding me up.

Got the rings in today, incidentally, and did find the size we'll be working with. I had to change the weave ever so slightly (where in the example pictures I provided, it shows two captive rings in each section, the ring size that we have that works only fits one captive ring per segment. Minor change, but figured I'd make a note of it.)

Once I get up to full speed on these bad boys, I think I was operating at just shy of a foot per hour (maybe 9-10 inches)
That being said, I'm fair confident we can keep these around $100 for a four footer, and about maybe $120 for a six footer.

I'm playing around with a couple options for keeping the armor in place, and I picked up some nice looking aluminum twisted wire, which I tested a theory out with. Ran a bit of wire through the braiding on the cable, then looped it through one of the rings. Did this for each of the three rings at the end.
I didn't taper down at all, and it was a quick job so it looks a bit shoddy, but I'd say it's a viable option. Tends to pull on the braiding (obviously) and I'm worried that'll cause issues down the road, but it's good to know my first idea wasn't a total crapshoot. I'll be giving a couple other ideas a chance to shine, and seeing which holds best. I like the idea of looping a bit of wire (maybe 2 inches) on each of the three terminal rings, and then twisting them around the whole of the cable, and heat shrinking it in place. I think it has the chance of looking really professional, plus with the twisted wire, should grip the heat tubing very well.

I'd still like to know if it's possible to solder the aluminum wire directly to the USB housing however, because I think that would prove able to withstand the most abuse in the end.

I'll do the maths tomorrow, get a harder price for us to work with, let you guys the costs for the DIY kits, and have pictures up (unfortunately, I didn't want to buy multiple colors when I didn't know what size would, or would not work, so the example is monochrome)

This isn't done, still in prototyping. But things are looking very promising, and we've got a couple viable options for terminating the armor.

So all that said, I'm very happy with how today went. I'm very excited about the coming weeks for this project, and I'm very confident we'll be able to hammer out the details and get this as a marketable product.
Thanks for sticking with me, guys. We're getting there.

Now I'll place the order for my complete cable, should be another 2-3 weeks before that comes in, I'll do up the armor, send it to Mr. Cables over there, and see if we can't finish this off.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 08:03:06 »
Oh, and I'll have shots of this tomorrow, but I'll allay a couple of concerns that were brought up.

The solution was in Anodized Alum. All color options are available in any combination, but I'll limit it to 3 colors per cable. I tend to zone out when I'm working, and I'm not ready to sign myself up for rainbows that I have to pay attention to color order. Though it might be possible to do the outer rings in a single color, and do the captive rings in a gradient rainbow. That is definitely an option, but it would take some extra sorting on my end before I start.

The solution was Anodized Alum, so it is CRAZY light. I've got like a foot and a half done, and it weighs nothing. I didn't measure the cable before I started. I'd meant to, so I can illustrate the difference, but it's seriously not a concern for gravity pulling on a USB end. Not even a big deal.

Bend radius. The armor cuts down the bend radius by about 2/3rds, but this armor seems to have a bend radius creating a loop of about 1.5 inch diameter. With armor, the loop radius (without putting undue stress on the rings) is about 4 inches. Definitely a wider bend radius, but not so much that it wont drape of the end of your desk, or not fit behind your computer. I'll have pictures of the bend radius up tomorrow along with everything else.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 11:17:28 »
Excited for this, this would look real good. Do you have ideas regarding TRRS connector (3.5mm connector) cable with such a chainmaille

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 00:27:59 »
Once I get up to full speed on these bad boys, I think I was operating at just shy of a foot per hour (maybe 9-10 inches)
That being said, I'm fair confident we can keep these around $100 for a four footer, and about maybe $120 for a six footer.

PLEASE remember that if you are happy to work for that amount of money then no worries about getting the orders in from me.  But this type of activity can mentally destroy most normal people when undertaking this type of work.  Attaching numerous rings together in a perfect symmetrical way is not your average way to earn a living.

Don't cut your asking price thinking that you won't get any orders coming your way.  The real problem for you is when the orders start flooding in and whether or not you can finish everyone's cable in a suitable time frame.

I figured I would jump in first before you start pulling your hair out and climbing the nearest tower with an AP-15.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 03:22:05 »
Don't worry. I plan on doing 6 orders for the first round. The price, I doubt, will stay this low, this price is for the first six people that have faith in me, and want to step up and support this endeavor. Once I figure out if I even want to do any more, I'll stop looking at it like a hobby, and more like a business venture.

Sorry, I promised an update, and didn't come through. I got home from work friday and just... essentially collapsed. I haven't even looked at piece since friday. I'll finish what I've got, place the orders, and do the math and get back to you in the next couple days.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 04:09:06 »
Take your time champ, we don't want you exhausted before the start.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 05:28:18 »
Nah, the chainmaille isn't exhausting me. right now it's the army.

Okay, I used up all I had for the correct ring size. Here's what we've got.

175 rings per foot.
70 minutes per foot.

Note, always overshoot ring count by about 5% due to variations in color, miscut rings, and slips of my pliers (scratching off the anodization)
These rings come in packs of 250 at $5.05 a pack.

now, for a 6 foot cable we'll do the math here.
1050 rings for 6ft cable, add some for a cushion 5 packs for a 6ft cable. = $25
70 minutes per foot, 10 dollars per hour. 6 times 1h 10m equals 7 hours. = $70
Estimate cost for cable makers time and materials = $30 (rough estimate)
Total: $125 before shipping

Note, I haven't talked in depth about cost for cable. We wont know until we find out how much extra work it takes to terminate the armor, and finish the cable. This cost may rise or fall as we get the prototype complete.

And for a 4 ft cable:
700 rings, 3 packs at $5 each = $15
70m per foot, 4 hours, 40 minutes. (4.6 hours) = $45
Cable cost (same amount of time and work no matter cable length) = $30
Total: $90 before shipping

6 or 4 ft cable with 2ft armor:
350 rings = 2 packs = $10
2hr 20m of work = $25
Same amount of cable work = $30
Total = $65 before shipping

Now, the more rings and supplies we buy, the more we save from TRL. They provide price breaks based on total amount in cart, so colors and even pliers all help for us to meet some of the higher price breaks (keep in mind they supply for people like the guys that made the armor for Lord of the Rings movies, so they get some huge orders) the price breaks are pretty far apart, and don't make a huge difference. We're working with a cheap material, we probably will only hit the first price break. This price break, however, should be enough to cover shipping -to me- and from there, I'll make all 6 armors, and then mail them to be cablemade. And will be mailed individually from there. If you'd like to pay some extra to be moved to the front of the line, and be mailed separately, and before the rest, we can work that out, but it'll be cheaper to mail 'em all together.

For kits, We're looking at for a 6 ft cable:
6.15 per plier = $12.30 (these are great if you plan on doing chainmaille for awhile, and I WHOLEHEARTEDLY SUGGEST that if you plan on doing this entire cable yourself, you get these, or at the VERY LEAST another set of spring loaded, flat nosed pliers.)
Same amount of rings = $25
Instructions and my time = I don't know, yet. 15 bucks? 10? You tell me what you'd like to pay for that.
Total: ~55 before shipping and cable kit

4 ft armor kit
Pliers = 12.30
Rings = 15
instructions = 15
Total: ~40 or 45

And now, on to pictures!

Close up!

Full shot (potato)

Bend radius. It is capable of a comfortable 3 inch bend.

Purple cable, with seafoam green rings. A good example of how well the cable shows through the rings. I think it's turning out quite well. I'll be proud to have this hanging off my keyboard. The first final product, my own cable, will be black and seafoam.

Any questions? Anything I forgot to add?

What d'you think?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 05:31:59 »
That actually looks amazing, although I cannot put out $120 for one, I looks great. I am sure you'll get atleast the 6 orders you are looking for. Good Luck & Good Job!
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline GeeNDL82

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 05:43:46 »
amazing
Vietnam Mechanical Keyboard Club: http://vietnammechkey.com/

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 05:55:11 »
Tym, for this first round, I also accept keyboards as payment!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 06:10:10 »
Nice work, Looks real goo.

I have my pliers, tools and cables, what I am looking for is how you plan to terminate the armor, and get 5 bags of bright aluminum rings, possible?

If you don't mind sharing, what rings should I be looking at at TRL for bright aluminum if I want to order directly from them?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 06:11:14 »
But if I gave you my keyboard I wouldn't have one :(
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 06:29:46 »
Oh, my bad guys. The ring size I ended up with is 16g 5/16ths. You can find this in most base metals on the site at varying costs. Also, if you want to go with the double captive ring you can go 18g 5/16ths, but this size is not an option for anodized aluminum. Would work fine for steel, but expect a much heavier cable.

If you have everything already but the rings, I would suggest buying from them direct. You wont end up paying shipping two ways, and you wont have to wait an extra damn month for it to get to and from me. If you're going this route, you will not have access to -my- video and instructions, but I am MORE than happy to point you to other tutorial materials. If you want to shoot me 5 bucks on paypal, though, I could send you a PDF File and a link to the video instructions.

And like I said on my other IC, transparency in all things is my goal. I aim to make a profit on this GB, obviously. This has been a source of income for me for several years, and I don't plan on that changing. I'm not trying to rip anybody off, and you'll always know what you're paying for with me. If at any time I neglect to give transparency, please call me on it and I will make it my highest priority to remedy that. I will never rip anybody off here, and so my first goal is to never let anybody -feel- like they're getting ripped off. I aim to make myself approachable at all times, so don't be afraid to ask. Also, for posterity's sake. Don't be afraid to email me at phoenixcreations@hotmail.com

If I do not respond, it means that you probably ended up in the junk box. I try to keep an eye on it, but don't always remember to. If I do not answer your email in 48 hours, send me a PM here, since Geekhack notifications do not end up in my junk box.

I will keep you guys up to date, especially when money is put down, and I will notify you immediately if the army ever decides to take me out to the field or anything crazy happens with North Korea (you guys might not be the -first- to know in the latter case, but I'll update stating that I am unavailable for correspondence for an undisclosed amount of time). Luckily, with my new MOS, even if I end up in the field I will still be able to work on the cables, but if shipping time, and my ability to respond, get delayed I'll let you guys know.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 06:30:32 »

Also, Keycap sets and loose switches. Soldering stations?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 06:45:01 »

Also, Keycap sets and loose switches. Soldering stations?

Loose switches? I could probably de-solder my "Scroll Lock" "Pause" and "End" keys, they're MX blacks, 3-1 trade?

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 06:47:08 »
I know I'll come to regret this later. But I'll have to pass for now. I'll let you know if my desperate need grows so great.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 06:49:30 »
Haha  :-*

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 06:56:49 »
Haha, we trust you completely Michael, and understand this is time consuming and you should get your time's worth.

I love how you are completely flexible, with what each member wants and not the type of person that goes "This is my secret" LOL. Noone on this site is. As for raising questions, don't worry this site is very transparent and that goes two ways, most people are open with what they are making, and don't hesitate in raising questions.

A query, did you try the 18g 5/16ths rings for double captive?

I can get you Cherry MX Blues at very cheap prices (Desoldered from a donor board if you are interested).

I would most likely end up getting directly from TRL and then paying you for your instructions.

Thanks for this highly innovative idea.

Any news on terminating the ends?

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 07:10:28 »

1) A query, did you try the 18g 5/16ths rings for double captive?

2) I can get you Cherry MX Blues at very cheap prices (Desoldered from a donor board if you are interested).

3) I would most likely end up getting directly from TRL and then paying you for your instructions.

4) Any news on terminating the ends?

1) I haven't yet, so if you want to go that route, let me know. I've got the rings on hand, and I'm very confident it'll work, just let me try it out before you make a purchase.

2) Blues are about the only switch I'm not interested in. I've got two blue boards already (MY WASD v2 CAME IN TODAY)

3) Sounds like a plan. You'll hurt on shipping, but the time saved will make up for it. Anybody who wants to go this route, and get the rings and flatnose pliers directly from them, I encourage you to. When I start the GB, I'll compile some resources for tutorials on this weave. Though, I doubt there are any videos on the matter.

4) No news, and there wont be for awhile. There's only so much I can do on my end since I don't have the ends and heat shrink tools. I'll be ordering the rings to make my cable, then sending it off to be tinkered with to find a good finish. It sounds like at least one of the ideas we've come up with should work pretty well, however.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 07:22:52 »
Oh, and it just occurred to me.

Doing 2 colors will make things a bit tricky for pricing. For the 6 ft cable, having all of the outer rings one color, and inner rings another color, comes out to the same price (5 packets, 4 black, 1 seafoam in my case) but if you're doing two colors on a 4 ft cable, giving up a packet of the outer rings, for a new color of inner rings, leaves you with not enough outer rings, and too many captive rings, and you can't finish the weave.

Let me break it down. If I were making myself a 4 ft cable, black outer and seafoam captive, I need 3 packets to make the 700 ring requirement. BUT exactly one quarter of the rings are captive, so it works out to: You need 525 black rings, and 175 seafoam. 2 packets of black rings will leave you short.

NOW, if you're doing a color like black for the outer rings, a color I suspect a good number of people will be buying, and I will probably end up with some leftovers for, then you should be good, BUT if you're doing an odd color, or just not a popular one, OR you want your product short ordered, then you'd have to put up any extra 5 dollars to ensure I have enough rings to do the whole piece.

At that point, you've ordered enough rings for a 5 foot cable, and if you want to put up an extra 10 dollars for my time, I'm happy doing non-standard lengths. Especially if you've already paid for the materials. Just contact me if you want something beside 4 or 6 and I'll get you a custom quote.

Hopefully that made sense to everybody.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 07:28:08 »

2) I can get you Cherry MX Blues at very cheap prices (Desoldered from a donor board if you are interested).

3) I would most likely end up getting directly from TRL and then paying you for your instructions.

1) I haven't yet, so if you want to go that route, let me know. I've got the rings on hand, and I'm very confident it'll work, just let me try it out before you make a purchase.

2) Blues are about the only switch I'm not interested in. I've got two blue boards already (MY WASD v2 CAME IN TODAY)

3) Sounds like a plan. You'll hurt on shipping, but the time saved will make up for it. Anybody who wants to go this route, and get the rings and flatnose pliers directly from them, I encourage you to. When I start the GB, I'll compile some resources for tutorials on this weave. Though, I doubt there are any videos on the matter.

4) No news, and there wont be for awhile. There's only so much I can do on my end since I don't have the ends and heat shrink tools. I'll be ordering the rings to make my cable, then sending it off to be tinkered with to find a good finish. It sounds like at least one of the ideas we've come up with should work pretty well, however.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

1) It'd be great if you could, I'm planning on getting these: SXAB18516

2) Sad to hear that, I could've hooked you u real cheap. No problem nonetheless.

3) I know, shipping would hurt, but I would save some time, also, I'll be watching to see how soon the end terminals problem is sorted, because if you plan on doing only 6 cables for round 1, they should be sold quite quickly I'd expect and then we can move onto actual ordering soon.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 07:31:19 »

Thanks for the prompt replies.

1) It'd be great if you could, I'm planning on getting these: SXAB18516

2) Sad to hear that, I could've hooked you u real cheap. No problem nonetheless.

3) I know, shipping would hurt, but I would save some time, also, I'll be watching to see how soon the end terminals problem is sorted, because if you plan on doing only 6 cables for round 1, they should be sold quite quickly I'd expect and then we can move onto actual ordering soon.

I'll do a quick mock up right now, and post a pic. I forgot the bright alum came in 18g 5/16

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 07:32:10 »
Thank you so much  :-* :-* :-*

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 07:48:59 »
Thank you so much  :-* :-* :-*

BA BAM

Compared to 16g

Close up

as I figured, it's significantly more loose about the cable, as well as more loose in a more general sense. It is definitely an option, and the only other option beside 16g 5/16ths, as all other available ring sizes are either significantly too large, or simply too small to fit around the weave at all.

Don't be afraid to use this ring size. It'll work, but be aware it's a bit more loose. It'd be great for a slightly wider cable.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 08:04:09 »
Thanks a LOT.

Looks like I will be ordering once we figure out a way for the terminals.

Offline randompony

« Reply #131 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 14:02:49 »
do you know if the rings would scratch desks or other surfaces?
I could imagine that the ends of the rings would have quite sharp edges.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 14:20:39 »

The ends are saw cut, so there are perfectly circular and id the ends are joined correctly, there should be no edges at all.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 15:20:25 »

The ends are saw cut, so there are perfectly circular and id the ends are joined correctly, there should be no edges at all.

While you are correct, Moz, that a finished product should not scratch or damage anything, it should be noted that this will not be the case for anybody doing their very first project. It took me years before I was competent enough to make a necklace without a single scratcher. That's just the nature of the beast. Any piece I make will be done with the same level of professionalism as I would put into a piece I expected you to wear on your skin, and you will not scratch your desktop, or anything else, as a result of having a bad close. Now, you might still mar your desk top if something comes down and lands on the cable, it could potentially ding wood pretty good, or leave a mark on a glass top. I think using aluminum, you're probably lessening the worry here. With steel, the amount of force it takes to ding a desk top is less than the amount of force required to bend a steel ring, but with aluminum, that 1/32nd of an inch in which something will give, it's more likely your aluminum ring would over a stainless steel ring. against, say, a nice glossy wood top desk.

TL:DR
If you do it yourself, there's a potential for scratches. If I do it, there is not. If you're super careful, and spend like twice as much time making it perfect, you can make a good a good cable, but it simply will not compare to mine if you don't have the hours logged, and it will not have the same resale value, that's for sure.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 15:30:45 »
Thanks Michael, I think it was implied that one had to be a pro like you to close the rings perfectly, and if we did the armor ourselves, bye bye table :P

Offline thoere

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:09:24 »
I would want one if it weren't for the price... sorry.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:13:07 »
Thanks Michael, I think it was implied that one had to be a pro like you to close the rings perfectly, and if we did the armor ourselves, bye bye table :P

It's not as bad as all of that. You can get it pretty good IF you don't get frustrated and just want it done and over with. Plus, when closing a ring, the "sharp edge" will be sticking out to one side or another, not out of the top of the ring, and since the nature of this weave, the only part of an ring actually touching the table or desk top, is the top of the ring (two alternating rows, the top of one row of rings keeps the side of the alternate side from touching). So even if you don't do a very good job, your precious hardware should still be relatively safe, especially if you're not jerking on your keyboard.  It's be a bit of a discomfort to touch, because no matter how good it might look, your finger pads are made to grip and hold on to the little things in life, so it'll grip and hold onto ever misaligned ring.

If you're not being abusive to your keyboard, or your desk, then you're relatively safe. It's not it's nature to scratch things up, the chainmaille has to meet certain and rare conditions for that to happen.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 16:17:34 »
I would want one if it weren't for the price... sorry.

Yeah, it's definitely not a product for everybody. I understand that. I'm just hoping it finds a niche out there. Also, that's what learning and making it yourself is for!

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 05:01:14 »
Alright, guys.

Decided to do some math on figuring out bulk discounts.
Looks like at
$100 = 10% off
$250 = 15% off
$500 = 20% off

Now, with 6 orders, we're already most of the way to 15% off. Throw a couple kits on top, and we'll hit it. I have no delusions about shooting for 20% off, but who knows eh?
I'm thinking, instead of offering you guys a 3 dollar discount on $25 worth of materials, I would total up the discount amounts, and donate that to GH after all is said and done.
What do you guys think?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 27 August 2013, 05:20:27 »
Sounds good to me and most members are generally willing to donate to GH quite generously.

Offline gruener_Salat

« Reply #140 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 13:20:11 »
Wow, looks tempting. I think I should get one for GH60.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 August 2013, 13:22:09 by gruener_Salat »

Offline Winther

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 03 September 2013, 15:28:01 »
This would be soo cool if I had 200usd for a cable. But the idea is really interesting and cool!

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 03:41:43 »
UPDATE

Man, it feels good to say that again.

So, as most of you probably already know, I have not been very active on the forums for awhile, but now that I'm getting back into keyboards, and my hiccup in life is seems more like a speed bump than a road block, I decided to actually do something with this.

I didn't have any ideas for termination this morning, but it's been a significant amount of time since I did any chainmaille, and I was itching to get back into it. So I did. Just started building the armor, thinking I'd worry about termination later.

Lucky for me, sometimes inspiration comes in planning, and other times, like today, it comes in execution.

So, I introduce to you the first actually viable and if I might say so, pretty idea for termination.

Okay, so I modded the plastic housing on the USB end. Drilled two small holes on one half of it, as seen below, and then shaved off some of the other half. My hands hurt, and I'm tired, so it's not perfect (as you can see in the side shot) and I broke the clips holding it in place trying to take it off, but this is definitely going to work. Trust me, I'm a perfectionist when it's for a customer, so anything you get from me would look a thousand times better than this.

Bottom side, showing connection

Another shot of the drilled holes and rings passing through them

Top side, where it looks as though the weave simply just... ends. (all the work is on the other side)

Ugly shot from the side (busted clips, and a not very clean job)

I had to use a different size rings, and you obviously only need four of these, so ordering a pack of 100 from theringlord is not the best option. This is a case where doing a GB for kits would definitely help out, and I could just throw like 15 in each kit (give you plenty to screw up on, it's a tight fit, prone to scratching and bending the ring if you're not extra careful getting it in there)

Now, the biggest drawback here is... This may be significantly harder for a mini usb terminal. I plan on ordering some housings (if someone can give me a link, or an actual term to search, it would help a lot) and playing around with it, but I am definitely making all of my personal keyboards with a standard female USB port in the back of the keyboard, so it's a great option for me.

Now, please. Questions!

Also, here's a bonus.
Lunch:

Spicy Lamb Kebab Wrap, with sweet pickles.
Absolutely delicious.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: [IC] Chainmaille cable armor - Updated 12/31/2013
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 03:48:26 »
shieetttt

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 04:34:24 »
How about drilling holes in both top and bottom housing and using maybe the same rings or slightly larger rings. I think it would be a better fight. That said, I am still slightly wary of how sturdy those plastic housings are and will able to hold their own when the cable is tugged at.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #145 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 04:52:41 »
The housing is too thick, and there isn't enough room to drill a larger hole in this particular housing. Bigger rings wouldn't work.

Though, I will assure you that those little aluminum rings will bend long before that housing breaks. It's definitely sturdier than it looks.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 05:18:00 »
The housing is too thick, and there isn't enough room to drill a larger hole in this particular housing. Bigger rings wouldn't work.

Though, I will assure you that those little aluminum rings will bend long before that housing breaks. It's definitely sturdier than it looks.

Okay, just finalize the ring attachment because it does look a little bit "Ghetto" and if you want everyone to pile into this try and polish up the ring outlet from their designated holes.  The bottom part of the plastic attachment needs to be carved into a more rounded shape to fit with the ring attachment coming in from the top section of the housing.

If you can further refine the attachment I'll be ready to place some orders for these Chainmaille babies  :thumb: .

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 05:23:55 »
Oh, no. That was definitely not a final product. Just got excited that I had figured out a solution, that I wanted to post about it.

It will be much, much cleaner once I get some housings on hand to work out the best way to make it look nice.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 05:37:56 »
It will be much, much cleaner once I get some housings on hand to work out the best way to make it look nice.

Brilliant to hear.  Of course the other end of that chainmaille is what's keeping everyone on their toes to see.  When you find a solution to finally finish that, then the orders should rain in like a south korean monsoon.

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 05:40:46 »
Well, once I get some Mini-USB housings on hand, the solution might be readily apparent.